TESTERS WANTED! ×

OEM advertising

revkev

We all draw the lines be at some point in regards to false advertising. For the longest time I refused to buy Srixon balls because they made what I considered to be deceptive claims about driver spin rates of golf balls. Additionally they never responded to my inquiries about the matter - other OEMs have always at least acknowledged receipt of a question.

Other than disdain for Peter Jacobsen (not a fan) I'm over it with the company. I have gamed. the Z star and think the new Q star tour is a good ball. But the data they gave Barbajo did crack me up. In the write up they talked about how their ball performs like a 4 layer ball but then they used the Pro VI rather than the Ix for their distance comparison. I suppose they'd argue that since the Pro VI is Titleist's softer feel ball....

At any rate it's a good ball and I would play Srixon.

Currently I will not even look at a Callaway ball. I find the “ball that changed the ball” slogan insulting. The chrome soft is as good a ball as any out there but so what - why would I play a product from someone who thinks I'm stupid?

The chrome soft did not take ordinary tour players and turn them into winners over night forcing everyone else to play it as the Pro VI did when it hit the tour a number of years back.

That's the ball that changed the ball. Of course it's long since been caught in regards to quality but let's be real.

What ads have caused you to avoid a product from an OEM and why?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I avoid Callaway Balls and Clubs, and Taylormade clubs.

I hate Callaway's advertising. That whole ball that changed the ball crap, umm no, that was and always will be the PV1. The new ball is not too different from any other ball just a slightly different material.

Their clubs, I couldn't stand the advertising for the Epic and then they made it worse by making "a whole new breakthrough" with the Rogue. It wasn't a breakthrough, just a new piece of flashy tech that didn't really help too much. They aren't the universally best performing drivers like they say.

Taylormade ruined me with their P790 commercials and their "Tiger With A Twist" commercials. I don't know why, they just bugged me. Also the "bored Marshall" commercial that is out just bugs me too.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Funny the timing of this post today. Rev I was just about to go buy some Q Stars after reading the Blog article this morning. Then I went and checked my inventory and I already had some. So, tomorrow I'll put the Q-Star in play and see how it goes. I'd bet my game will see no noticeable difference. Like I always say... I can and do play most any ball successfully as long as it has a urethane cover. I change around a lot as I'm not married to any one brand.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Funny the timing of this post today. Rev I was just about to go buy some Q Stars after reading the Blog article this morning. Then I went and checked my inventory and I already had some. So, tomorrow I'll put the Q-Star in play and see how it goes. I'd bet my game will see no noticeable difference. Like I always say... I can and do play most any ball successfully as long as it has a urethane cover. I change around a lot as I'm not married to any one brand.

Agreed and likewise - I don't change around in season but between seasons it's what I get a good deal on or the best few years what I've used my pro shop credit for.

It's easy enough to find a ball in anyone's line that will work so why bother with the one that's upset me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I go with what looks right and feels good to me. I have a mixed bag, Cobra F8+ Driver, Srixon U65 2i, Ping iBlade Irons, Taylormade Milled Grind Wedges and a Taylormade Spider Putter, Bridgestone Tour B RXS ball. Advertising in golf doesn't really influence my decisions. They are all the longest most forgiving products on earth..lol. I am really considering the Teeless Driver, that commercial is gold, j/k

@geez2322 - with all due respect everything you've listed is advertised. It does have an impact on all of us. That's why so much is spent on it.

My point here is that some advertising creates the opposite of its desired impact. Great example, the SLDR was a truly innovative club with promising technology in it. TMag bombed in the advertising so much so that people were then confused when they abandoned the SLDR line. Do I need to loft up on this one or not?

Subsequently they've fallen behind Callaway in driver sales.

It wasn't about a lack of quality - it was about a marketing disaster.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I am not a fan of Callaway and imo their marketing department is more elitist in attitude than what everyone perceives titleist to be. Harry wants to always start a “war” #ballwar was a joke. They claim to do social media the best yet they don't have the most followers. Their clubs are ugly and performance has never been the best. They claim more speed with the epic and rogue but yet produced a driver that has imo some of the worse dispersion on the market.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

What drives me crazy is 'product placement' and marketing departments thinking we don't know what they're doing: when the camera man zooms in on the logo when the ball is on the green. Or the occasional close-up of a logo on the golf bag. FYI marketers that doesn't moivate me to buy that brand.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

None. I really don't care how a company advertises, the slogans they use, or marketing gimmicks they come up with. I play what best fits my game and is at a price I am willing to pay.

Q-Star Tours have been my ball all year and I still have 3 dozen of them waiting to be used. They add a good 5 yards on all clubs for me compared the Bridgestone RXs I was playing, spin well, and for less than $30 a dozen. I had no clue about any of Srixon's claims or numbers they release. I'd rather look at reviews from reviewers online.

Played Q Star Tour today with sloppy course(Cart Path Only) managed to get a 40/44:84 out of it........like the ball.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I don't give 2 craps about a company's marketing. If the product works for me, and it fits my budget, I'll try it. If I like it, I'll play it. 

I'm not going to eschew something that could be the perfect fit for me because of how an intern runs their social media account or what absolute PGA moron they have on staff. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I don't give 2 craps about a company's marketing. If the product works for me, and it fits my budget, I'll try it. If I like it, I'll play it.

I'm not going to eschew something that could be the perfect fit for me because of how an intern runs their social media account or what absolute PGA moron they have on staff.

I've met several of the social media people it know others who have and none of them are interns. They are full time employees and are part of the marketing teams as well as part of helping put together the messaging. Many if not all put together storyboards to work thru what they post. Their social media platforms are pretty integral into the messaging

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I've met several of the social media people it know others who have and none of them are interns. They are full time employees and are part of the marketing teams as well as part of helping put together the messaging. Many if not all put together storyboards to work thru what they post. Their social media platforms are pretty integral into the messaging

I completely get that. For the record, my comment was partly tongue in cheek - heck I'm the marketing manager for my own company and I run our Twitter feed too,based off of an editorial calendar I put together with the company's president.

My point is simply that good or bad marketing does not equal a good or bad product. I am a huge fan of Callaway's marketing, and apparently so is a large number of golfers based on their sales data. I think Wilson/Staff does a great job on Twitter but unfortunately absolutely nowhere else. Yet their balls and irons are still great values. 

It's a business that needs to sell more products but has restrictions on how much it can improve their products. It's a tough business to be in I'm sure. Who cares!? They ALL do it! They have to. Does any driver add the claimed yards each year? Without strengthening lofts would the irons add more distance? More forgiveness? They've been doing this for going on 10 years or so.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

It's advertising that allows Titleist to justify selling golf balls for $47.99 a dozen to 20 handicappers who are convinced a ProV1 makes them better golfers. I mean, I'm hovering around a 7 handicap right now, up from a 4 just a month ago, and frankly it wouldn't have mattered what golf ball I was playing. I wasn't going to beat the two guys who dropped a 61-67 on the field to win the fourball tournament I was entered in. And frankly, those dudes could be hitting a Top Flight 1 piece ballata ball or gutta percha from the 19th century and still kicked the crap out of me on the golf course.

Advertising and marketing with any product in just about any industry that sells retail is all about name recognition and convincing the consumer that their product is something that is better than whatever else is on the market that is just like it. Anyone else here grow up watching Saturday morning cartoons? How many times a month did you convince your mother to buy Frosted Flakes because Tony The Tiger said, "They're great!!!" And I'm sure all that begging you did to get her to buy that toxic crap you ingested as a child was the only reason you ate it growing up. It shut you up in the store, and you became a future consumer of diabetes medicine because Kelloggs advertised during Looney Tunes every Friday during the 60's and 70's.

So circling back to golf marketing, Bridgestone wouldn't be paying Tiger Woods a boatload of money to play their ball if it didn't increase their sales.

And whether you want to believe this is golf related or not, even before Nike decided to commit corporate suicide by hiring "Colin Cancer" to their latest marketing campaign, I honestly don't care who they stuck their swoosh on, because I'm not buying their crap. Nike has always been an arrogant company in my mind, with ridiculously overpriced clothing and golf shoes. Not to mention that their sense of fashion doesn't even come close to lining up with my tastes.

Does that answer the OP's question at all?

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

MGS, and many of the posters in these forums, have taught me to simply ignore all golf equipment advertising.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've always associated Srixon with rubbish. Pricing their clubs at the level of proven product was always laughable. Why would I spend my money on this when I can get a Titleist or PING for the same price?

As far as trusting the advertising I'll just say that I could care less about TM and Callaway but not for the reasons stated above.

Their product cycles are a nightmare for inventory controls. Constant net down of products makes for a nightmare in golf sales. I won't trust their advertising because they're constantly releasing something else.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I've always associated Srixon with rubbish. Pricing their clubs at the level of proven product was always laughable. Why would I spend my money on this when I can get a Titleist or PING for the same price?

As far as trusting the advertising I'll just say that I could care less about TM and Callaway but not for the reasons stated above.

Their product cycles are a nightmare for inventory controls. Constant net down of products makes for a nightmare in golf sales. I won't trust their advertising because they're constantly releasing something else.

Your views about srixon are severely off the mark, and your points on TaylorMade and callaway are outdated. The inventory stuff WAS an issue, but over the last five years or so so both companies have altered their strategies and hold a much tighter inventory

Srixon has been a top player in the japanese market for a long time and it was great to see the brand come to the US and for its quality to gain traction in the states. Imo they are some of the best irons on the market that aren't part of the high end niche and their drivers are sleepers.

Inventory control has never really been an issue with Callaway and TaylorMade has fixed theirs abdcis evidebt by the back orders of the P790 irons and the udi. Not to mention that's as much on the retailer as it is the brand.

Options for the consumer are never a bad thing so yearly release cycles aren't bad and it's up to the consumer to decide if the new model is better for them or not it if they just want something new and shiny even if it doesn't provide any added benefit.

While I don't like Callaway's approach of releases every 6 months or so of different names for the same segment of club type (ie 4 different GI types) as I think this can confuse the consumer options aren't bad. Callaway definitely has used their vast marketing budget to hook the consumer.

Your views about srixon are severely off the mark, and your points on TaylorMade and callaway are outdated. The inventory stuff WAS an issue, but over the last five years or so so both companies have altered their strategies and hold a much tighter inventory

If I am wrong then I am ok with that. I was never wow'ed by their products. I'll be the first to admit they are top notch if I can get the time to try their new offering.

As far as the inventory goes, I disagree. TM has slowed their releases but Callaway is a revolving door of offerings.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

If I am wrong then I am ok with that. I was never wow'ed by their products. I'll be the first to admit they are top notch if I can get the time to try their new offering.

As far as the inventory goes, I disagree. TM has slowed their releases but Callaway is a revolving door of offerings.

As much as I don't like Callaway stuff, and they are a revolving door of offerings, but everything is now inventory controlled. Their strategy is to limit the quantities and when inventory hits a certain low water mark and is almost gone then they release something new. Much different than the old way of doing things.

Srixon has been a top player in the japanese market for a long time and it was great to see the brand come to the US and for its quality to gain traction in the states. Imo they are some of the best irons on the market that aren't part of the high end niche and their drivers are sleepers.

Inventory control has never really been an issue with Callaway and TaylorMade has fixed theirs abdcis evidebt by the back orders of the P790 irons and the udi. Not to mention that's as much on the retailer as it is the brand.

Options for the consumer are never a bad thing so yearly release cycles aren't bad and it's up to the consumer to decide if the new model is better for them or not it if they just want something new and shiny even if it doesn't provide any added benefit.

While I don't like Callaway's approach of releases every 6 months or so of different names for the same segment of club type (ie 4 different GI types) as I think this can confuse the consumer options aren't bad. Callaway definitely has used their vast marketing budget to hook the consumer.

I will have to try the new Srixon offerings. The product never appealed to me and I did not enjoy what they made. But here's the nice thing...I like to be proven wrong.

I'm looking forward to trying them.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

TM has maintained a yearly release cycle on every line. Release m family of woods, hybrids and irons every year. RSI followed by psi follows by p7xx line. Wedges every year. They along with Cobra are yearly. Cleveland/Srixon/Titleist/Ping are every 2 years and Ping sometimes about every 18 months to the 2 years

I hate how car manufacturers release new cars every year. I'll never buy a Toyota because they have like 15 different vehicles! And multiple versions of each! Who do they think they are, having giant sales every year because they have too many vehicles on the lot. As soon as I buy a car it loses value. What a scam.

I hate how car manufacturers release new cars every year. I'll never buy a Toyota because they have like 15 different vehicles! And multiple versions of each! Who do they think they are, having giant sales every year because they have too many vehicles on the lot. As soon as I buy a car it loses value. What a scam.

Nailed it

I've long been onto the marketing guys.  Don't believe me, have a look at what's in my golf bag (better yet my fly rod quiver)  :lol:.  How can there ever be truth in advertising when there are simply so many variables in play that can (and are) manipulated?   

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Cleveland/Srixon/Titleist/Ping are every 2 years and Ping sometimes about every 18 months to the 2 years

I honestly haven't gone all lawyer on PING and marked a calendar with every release date of their product, but I would suggest that their release cycle is a lot more frequent than 18 months to 2 years lately.

I bought my G irons last year when they were the latest release, and they have already released the i200, i210, i500, G400 and G700 lines since then.

Just wait a month and PING will throw something else new on the market.  Oh that's right - how many different "new" Glide wedges would you like to try before they jump the shark and come out with the next latest and greatest Glide wedge that will simply allow you to point the wedge at your ball in the bunker and levitate it right into the hole without even swinging the club.  I'm expecting that sort of marketing BS to come out in the oh so near future.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Archived