Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OEM advertising

revkev

Not to hijack the thread here, but what ads have people found particularly effective—you either bought the hype or simply loved the ad?

Taylormade... Also the "bored Marshall" commercial that is out just bugs me too.

Ugh, I hate that ad. Ironically, I find it so dull. I'm bored watching the ad!

And whether you want to believe this is golf related or not, even before Nike decided to commit corporate suicide by hiring "Colin Cancer" to their latest marketing campaign, I honestly don't care who they stuck their swoosh on, because I'm not buying their crap. Nike has always been an arrogant company in my mind, with ridiculously overpriced clothing and golf shoes. Not to mention that their sense of fashion doesn't even come close to lining up with my tastes.

Nike committed a master stroke in marketing with Kapernick. Regardless of your political views, that ad got so much free press and attention before it even aired. Then, Nike puts together an ad that you really can't criticize in terms of substance.

Their key demo is younger people who they want to have buy $200 sneaks and $150 athletic wear. By using Kap, who was already on contract with them, they created a situation where the largest and most powerful athletic company appear subversive and counter cultural like a scrappy underdog. Younger gen loves that look. The consumer choices of older folks are already set and seasoned by life—they aren't shelling out.

You may not like their tactics but it was far from suicide. I think Nike is a marketing genius in a lot of ways as my next 2 posts will reflect...

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

One of the absolute best ad series was with Tiger's Frank head cover. Pokes fun at advertising, self-deprecating humor on Tiger's part. Really memorable.

"dink'n em"

(weird amex commercial in the middle of the sequence for some reason)

This is was such a fun ad.

Don't mean to offend here but... Do you think that guy is Nifty Niblick?

I honestly haven't gone all lawyer on PING and marked a calendar with every release date of their product, but I would suggest that their release cycle is a lot more frequent than 18 months to 2 years lately.

I bought my G irons last year when they were the latest release, and they have already released the i200, i210, i500, G400 and G700 lines since then.

Just wait a month and PING will throw something else new on the market. Oh that's right - how many different "new" Glide wedges would you like to try before they jump the shark and come out with the next latest and greatest Glide wedge that will simply allow you to point the wedge at your ball in the bunker and levitate it right into the hole without even swinging the club. I'm expecting that sort of marketing BS to come out in the oh so near future.

Like Titleist who releases woods one year and irons/hybrids/wedges the next ping is similar now with i and g. I release one year and g the next which maintains the 18-24 mo cycle for each which has been the long standard

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 3 weeks later...

So I read this entire thread. I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses. Some like, I don't like TM, or Cally or Srixon, or whomever. Then I've read other post by many of he posters here, and I what is written is “get Fitted” and don't pay any attention to the name on the clubs, just let the fitter put you in he best for you. How many of the commenters here take their own advice? The company I don't care for is Titleist, I have used some of their wedges in the past, and didn't like them at all. I also don't care for their arrogant advertising, especially with the Balls. The new tour soft has all the feels. Remember the chart that showed chrome soft and TP5 that show a 0 in the feels department. Really zero feels. Smooth.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

So I read this entire thread. I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses. Some like, I don't like TM, or Cally or Srixon, or whomever. Then I've read other post by many of he posters here, and I what is written is “get Fitted” and don't pay any attention to the name on the clubs, just let the fitter put you in he best for you. How many of the commenters here take their own advice? The company I don't care for is Titleist, I have used some of their wedges in the past, and didn't like them at all. I also don't care for their arrogant advertising, especially with the Balls. The new tour soft has all the feels. Remember the chart that showed chrome soft and TP5 that show a 0 in the feels department. Really zero feels. Smooth.

That is an interesting question.

In a sense yes and no.

Yes, because we go in thinking we can test the clubs objectively and buy whatever works best.

No, because at the end of the day, our preconceived notions might affect how we swing each club. It you don't like Titleist, maybe you wouldn't swing the irons with as much conviction as a Mizuno.

I would like to think that I can swing clubs objectively but I don't know if I can. If a fitter said a Cally club was best for me, I would get it.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

What ads have caused you to avoid a product from an OEM and why?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, Rev.

I took it for granted that as an 8 handicap (briefly 7),

I knew much more about golf than any of the OEM club makers.

Now, having bowed out of the game as a 13,

I still believe that!

Never listed to what they claimed.

Just assumed that they were BS-ing me.

As for the ProV1 being the groundbreaker,

I'm still going with the original non-wound Top Flite.

Changing the game for millions of recreational players is more important to me

than changing it for a couple hundred Tour players.

Mind you, I'm still being egocentric

because it changed the game for me--

I can't really speak for all recreational players, obviously.

That is an interesting question.

In a sense yes and no.

Yes, because we go in thinking we can test the clubs objectively and buy whatever works best.

No, because at the end of the day, our preconceived notions might affect how we swing each club. It you don't like Titleist, maybe you wouldn't swing the irons with as much conviction as a Mizuno.

I would like to think that I can swing clubs objectively but I don't know if I can. If a fitter said a Cally club was best for me, I would get it.

I like can go along with that answer. I can say I would be objective, but could I really. I've never like ping clubs, not that I don't try them, I just don't care for them, so do I purposely go in knowing I don't like them, and sort of sabotage my results. Same with Titleist, maybe. That would be interesting to find out. If only you could get a fitting without knowing any of the brands. Like the heads have no markings or stampings other than numbers and you get fitted, and then they tell you at the end what's best for you.

I like can go along with that answer. I can say I would be objective, but could I really. I've never like ping clubs, not that I don't try them, I just don't care for them, so do I purposely go in knowing I don't like them, and sort of sabotage my results. Same with Titleist, maybe. That would be interesting to find out. If only you could get a fitting without knowing any of the brands. Like the heads have no markings or stampings other than numbers and you get fitted, and then they tell you at the end what's best for you.

This is what I'm afraid would happen to me.... which is why I haven't bothered with getting fit...yet.

I am very much drawn to Mizuno irons and Titleist drivers. I have played both for at least 15 years. I'm going to get fit and try everything, but I'm afraid I will insist that I be fit to Mizuno and Titleist....... to my own down fall as far spending the time and money for a fitting. Then again... maybe not.

This is what I'm afraid would happen to me.... which is why I haven't bothered with getting fit...yet.

I am very much drawn to Mizuno irons and Titleist drivers. I have played both for at least 15 years. I'm going to get fit and try everything, but I'm afraid I will insist that I be fit to Mizuno and Titleist....... to my own down fall as far spending the time and money for a fitting. Then again... maybe not.

It's interesting to think about. Even with the advertising being bad or good. We all seem to have certain OEM's that we just don't like. We also have a couple that we gravitate toward.

Going back to the original post about OEM and advertising, many of us seem to lean one way or another regardless of Advertising. It seems most of us have preconceived notions about one or another OEM, and whether we like or dislike them, I would guess that probably 70 percent of golfers don't pay any attention to the “claims” of the OEM. We go with what we know and what we like.

Going back to the original post about OEM and advertising, many of us seem to lean one way or another regardless of Advertising. It seems most of us have preconceived notions about one or another OEM, and whether we like or dislike them, I would guess that probably 70 percent of golfers don't pay any attention to the “claims” of the OEM. We go with what we know and what we like.

Yes, but how much does the advertising influence our preconceived notions about a company?

We may not pay attention to the claims but they might shape our perceptions to a certain OEM.

I don't like Callaway ads and I never hit their clubs well. Is that because they make bad clubs or I don't like their ads and it makes me swing the clubs bad?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Yes, but how much does the advertising influence our preconceived notions about a company?

We may not pay attention to the claims but they might shape our perceptions to a certain OEM.

I don't like Callaway ads and I never hit their clubs well. Is that because they make bad clubs or I don't like their ads and it makes me swing the clubs bad?

I do think that most avid golfers have their preferred OEM's, and don't care at all about advertising. There may be some who look at ads and say I don't like this ad so I'm not buying it. So In your case, is it the ads that put you off of Callaway, or is it that you hit something from their lineup and didn't like it that put you off of them. I can't for the life of me think of any Ping advertising good or bad, and I don't like their clubs at all. Nothing to do with advertising, I don't care for titleist, not because they don't make good equipment or have bad ads, I don't think they are worth the extra cash just because it says titleist, IMO they are not elite they are just another OEM that wants our money, and in most cases they want more than others, and as we can find out, there is more than one club that can perform just as good without the high price tag. It just depends on whether or not you want a big name on the club head or not, then which one.

Archived