TESTERS WANTED! ×

USGA Handicap Rules for a Multi-Format Round

haiderbaig

Hi All -

This is my first post on the forums and I feel its one of the few places I will find the answer to my question.

We have a golf league based out of Pakistan in which we play monthly league-style matches consisting of 7 teams with 8 players in each team. 

Due to time constraints and player availability we play our singles match-play and 4-Ball Match-play during the same round of golf.

For example:

Team A is represented by Mike and Kevin

Team B is represented by John and Alex

In the singles match-play Mike will be playing against John and Kevin will be playing against Alex.

During this they will also be playing a 4-Ball match where the best score by each team counts. So essentially there are Two Singles Games and One 4-Ball Game being played at the same time. 

We would like to use these scorecard towards our USGA Handicap Calculation and I wanted to know if:

A. This is even allowed under the USGA Rules
B. Should we only use the Singles Match-Play scorecards to be used towards a player's handicap. The reason I ask is there scenarios where one or both singles match-play games have finished early in the round but the 4-ball finishes on the later holes. (For example Both Singles could finish 4&3 and the 4-Ball could finish 2&1) So technically the players would have played 17 holes in total instead of just 15. 

Apologies in advance if this is overly confusing but if anyone can help that would be awesome!

Regards,

Haider 

First, I believe that this would not be allowed under USGA rules of Golf.  That doesn't mean its not acceptable to post for handicap purposes.  Basically, you're going to record the same scores for a single player in each of his matches, i.e. he'll post the same score in his singles match card as on his fourball match card.  Consequently, it doesn't matter which card you use.  The second part of the question relates to a match ending early (i.e not going a full 18 holes), but play continuing.   There's a decision in the Handicap Manual that clarifies this, if you continue play after the match is over, you use the scores you shoot for handicap posting.  So unless you head for the clubhouse as soon as the match is over, and omit playing the last few holes, you post what you shot.  If you DO omit a few holes, you use par + handicap on those holes.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It is perfectly legal and done all the time here in NCGA team matches. Below link is USGA equitable stroke scoring. 

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Handicap/2018%20Handigrams-Final.pdf

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Dave thank you so much for your reply. Do you know where in the rules it addresses continuation of play even if the match ends early. 

From the Decisions in the USGA Handicap Manual:

5-2a/7. Score to Post if Match Ends in Fewer Than 18 Holes and Player Completes Round

Q: In match play, a player wins the match on the 16th hole. The player plays the remaining two holes. What score should the player post for these two holes?

A: The player must post the actual scores on the post-match holes. To post in any other manner would be at odds with the basic premise that contends that each player will try to make the best scores at every hole in every round. If the Committee believes that the player is inflating hole scores on the post-match holes, it may apply provisions of Section 8. (See 8-4c(iv).)

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived