Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Combo sets

revkev

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, PlaidJacket said:

Same here Stu. I do carry 4 wedges but the 56 is my most versatile wedge by far. I play more shots from a variety of lies and situations with this club than any of the other 3 wedges.

For me it depends on which course I'm playing - at Bayou its the 60 - those greens are so firm and fast and in the summer the rough is so high it's got to be the 60.  At my league course its the 52 - lots of bump and running there - ironically that course is shorter and the ball goes so much farther because for some reason it stays drier and they cut the rough.  An old school course they want to running out into the trees if they can get you too - the trees are the defense on that course.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The original post resonates with me. I wanted to get a full set of Cobra's Forged Tec Blacks, but being used to the progressive Pings with smaller wedges (i20 and later iE1, and old DCIs before that), the forged tec wedges looked clunky. I couldn't get a traditional blended set without major bending (didn't want to bend more than 1* strong or weak), so I just got 5-GW in their CB line and 4i forged tec black. My other option would've been just getting the 4-9 set of forged tec and then 4 different wedges, but if I'm taking mostly full swings with a club I want it to match the set, so I like having PW and GW match, and then most of my less than full swings are done with my 54 & 58.

I really like what Srixon & Mizuno are doing with their lines that are made to be blended, as I agree that is the future. Same deal with the new Callaway Apex/Apex pro line. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Archived