TinkerGolfMan

Titleist Concept Irons

Our Sponsors

2 hours ago, DiabloBlanco said:

What the data showed (going from memory as I didn't have a printout of the comparison, unfortunately)....ok, I thought this was interesting. I insisted on hitting 20 shots or so, each (note, they only had the 6 iron head). With each club, we deleted the worst 5 shots but would say that for each iron, the bad shots weren't that bad. It seemed I was getting 10+ yards longer on the pure shots. Smash factor was certainly higher, coming in around 1.43 on the good/great shots. So I believe that Titleist's assertion of higher ball speeds is true. 1.43 smash factor is pretty good  and I can say that my SwingCaddie device has me in the mid to upper 1.30s (I work really hard on matching tour averages for smash factor even though my swing speed doesn't match the pros). However, with strong lofts, there is probably some combination of this and the higher ball speeds contributing to the distance.

Iirc the swing caddie is programmed for 1.3. As for the 1.43 that better than good that’s elite. Pga tour avg is 1.38 and lpga 1.41

curious with a smash factor like that what’s your weakness that has your hdcp at 15?

Admittedly, I played to a lower handicap in past years. 2 of my previous strengths (driver and putter) became weaknesses this past year driving my index up by 4 pts. Both parts are slowly coming around so I expect to be back, hopefully, around 10 or better in the coming months. 

Think of it this way. I have been hitting 4 to 5 shots consistently out of bounds or in s***** places. That's 4 or 5 shots (or more if I take penalties). Add a ton of 3 putts, say 3 to 4 in a round (my club's greens can be pretty ridiculously fast). My game is a tale of 2 halves....Tend to shoot 50 - 54 on one front 9 and the 40 - 44 on the other 9. 

I suppose that is why folks get mad when I play in scrambled as I tend to hit some great shots.

Edited by DiabloBlanco

So far I have had two rounds with these irons. Here’s how I am playing them. 

5 iron: 190 to 200

6 iron: 180

7 iron: 170

8 iron: 160

9 iron: 145

Pw: 130

FYI on the shafts. KBS C-Taper lite (brushed steel) -1/4” and standard lie angle. 

They feel like butter. Very easy to hit and easily 10-15 yards longer? Is it worth the price? Depends on the person. I like the exclusivity and they are outperforming my TMBs. Not likely I will be buying new irons for a long time (unless they make something that connects to my arms and swings for me =)).  

Not sure why but they seem easier to hit. Could be the wider sole and better feel of the club head. 

I would like to get these under a track man again to see how they compare to my testing. My simple Swingcaddie has verified my distances (above) but my smash factor seems more normal. 

Love love love these irons. 

Edited by DiabloBlanco

Ok last post on this. After 3 practice rounds to get used to the new distances, I won my first GCAT tournament. Irons performed beautifully.

To boot my lower scores help to move my index down by almost 3 point too!  

So happy I got them!

Edited by DiabloBlanco

I feel like the people bashing these irons (who haven't even hit them) are put off by the price but don't want to say that.

Indeed. They look nice, especially the 2’s. But dang... have to sell a kidney to get a set.

4 hours ago, Hamachi Style said:

I feel like the people bashing these irons (who haven't even hit them) are put off by the price but don't want to say that.

Yup. It was the same way with pxg.