Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Weight of club at various points in the swing

MindBodyGolf

I'm curious if anyone has ever read or knows where to find any information pertaining to the weight of a club at various points of the swing (top of backswing, impact)?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Simple answer, the weight of the club never changes.  

More complex, as you accelerate the club in various directions, you need to apply force in those directions.  I've read some studies about grip forces at various times, and I'll try to find those and post here.  Its somewhat counter-intuitive, but at impact you are primarily exerting a vertical (upward) force on the grip end of the club.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Simple answer, the weight of the club never changes.

More complex, as you accelerate the club in various directions, you need to apply force in those directions. I've read some studies about grip forces at various times, and I'll try to find those and post here. Its somewhat counter-intuitive, but at impact you are primarily exerting a vertical (upward) force on the grip end of the club.

perfect post Dave.Ive often wondered why the club will feel heavy when I'm swinging well.When I stink it feels light as a feather

Keep it in the short stuff

I guess I didn't really frame my question correctly or maybe just mixed up the terminology. Go figure that'd happen talking about golf!

I remember reading about the work done with Iron Byron and the engineers estimated the centrifugal force (or centripetal, or torque, or inertia, or however you like to define it) was around 100 lbs of force for a 100 mph swing.

I can't find that straight from the horses mouth though, only through others citing it, without referencing the data.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Archived