hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids

We had our choice of balls and I'm pretty sure Rob, Matt, and I picked the Tour B RX. I used their online ball fitting tool to make my choice. Not sure what MGoBlue picked.

So what do you think about the TBRX? Or is this reviewed in a different thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So what do you think about the TBRX? Or is this reviewed in a different thread?

We do not have a different thread and I'm not really sure if there is an expectation of a real ball review, but I have only played 27 holes with them. I had been playing MTB Red's much of the year, then won some AVX's (which I really liked, but won't pay that much for them). My impression is the RX's are just as long off the tee as the other two, maybe a little longer, especially with irons. Around the green, they seem a little less "spinny" than the Snells and a bit more than the AVX's. I don't have any "hard" data, though, just first impressions.

• Like 1

We do not have a different thread and I'm not really sure if there is an expectation of a real ball review, but I have only played 27 holes with them. I had been playing MTB Red's much of the year, then won some AVX's (which I really liked, but won't pay that much for them). My impression is the RX's are just as long off the tee as the other two, maybe a little longer, especially with irons. Around the green, they seem a little less "spinny" than the Snells and a bit more than the AVX's. I don't have any "hard" data, though, just first impressions.

Thanks! Sounds like a winner? Longer than the AVX with more spin, amazing. I need to give these a shot.

• Like 2

Thanks! Sounds like a winner? Longer than the AVX with more spin, amazing. I need to give these a shot.

Max is right, we aren't doing a ball review on these, they were just a nice add on touch from Bridgesgtone to use in our photos and such.  

I have both the e6 and Tour B RX

I asked for the e6 in this testing as I already had some RX on hand and more coming.   But I hadn't given the e6 a good look, and I kind of fall between the two categories.    

The e6 is good for everywhere until you get around the green.  I had no chance of stopping it on the green with well struck wedge shots from 40 to 100 yards.   Now it wasn't as hard as some low cost two piece balls, but it definitely hit checked a little bit and continued to roll out. 

The RX performs as good as any other tour ball out there.  I've made it my go to ball since the testing.   I was playing ProV1X and Oncore Elixr prior to this.   Both of those are very good, and the RX doesn't leave anything on the table in terms of greenside performance with either of those.  

• Like 3

Max is right, we aren't doing a ball review on these, they were just a nice add on touch from Bridgesgtone to use in our photos and such.

I have both the e6 and Tour B RX

I asked for the e6 in this testing as I already had some RX on hand and more coming. But I hadn't given the e6 a good look, and I kind of fall between the two categories.

The e6 is good for everywhere until you get around the green. I had no chance of stopping it on the green with well struck wedge shots from 40 to 100 yards. Now it wasn't as hard as some low cost two piece balls, but it definitely hit checked a little bit and continued to roll out.

The RX performs as good as any other tour ball out there. I've made it my go to ball since the testing. I was playing ProV1X and Oncore Elixr prior to this. Both of those are very good, and the RX doesn't leave anything on the table in terms of greenside performance with either of those.

Thanks Rob!

Sorry for getting of topic and thread jacking. I've never really got along with the Bridgestone balls or really even gave them a real shot. I'm definitely going to try them out.

I actually haven't used the balls yet because I don't want to lose any!  :D

• Like 2

Thanks Rob!

Sorry for getting of topic and thread jacking. I've never really got along with the Bridgestone balls or really even gave them a real shot. I'm definitely going to try them out.

No problem at all, if the discussion is Bridgestone, then it's not a complete thread jack...ha

But like you I haven't played it's ball a lot until this most recent test.  I played around with the e6 before but never more than a round or so and tried the old B330 S but found it spun too much off the tee for me, could have hve just been my imagination, or more likely my swing....ha

Also this isn't a true secret but more of a sneak peak, keep your eyes out around the forum, there a a handful of guys who may or may not be testing a ball that fits right between that e6 and RX model.   I'm sure there will be more to come of it soon enough, and I'm personally looking forward to hearing about them. 

• Like 4

I do not like that the driver loft isn't adjustable, I just feel like thats a no go for any high capper who is constantly trying to improve. I've already adjusted down my F7 a degree this season, but I may not be their target.

That 3 wood on the other hand is very interesting to me...Can't wait to hear more about it. 

• Like 2

I do not like that the driver loft isn't adjustable, I just feel like thats a no go for any high capper who is constantly trying to improve. I've already adjusted down my F7 a degree this season, but I may not be their target.

That 3 wood on the other hand is very interesting to me...Can't wait to hear more about it. 

I've never been too concerned about driver adjustability. As a fellow high capper, I feel like having the ability to adjust to fine tune a driver is relatively minor compared to my lack of ability to put a consistent swing on the ball, BUT I would also add that, for me, many of my wasted strokes are off the tee with a driver.

• Like 3

I've never been too concerned about driver adjustability. As a fellow high capper, I feel like having the ability to adjust to fine tune a driver is relatively minor compared to my lack of ability to put a consistent swing on the ball, BUT I would also add that, for me, many of my wasted strokes are off the tee with a driver.

Unfortunately Driver is my best club and I owe it to the ability to tinker.

For example, When I got my F7, I had the weight in the toe, a Regular flex shaft and an 11 degree loft, I was slicing everything and maxing out at 225 on good drives. 

I spent two range sessions playing with it and hit 150 balls. Put the weight in all 3 spots, turns out the Front worked best, then I lowered the loft and got my swing grooved. that put me at 9.5º.  Now I'm hooking things but swinging faster because it felt more comfortable and of course I was practicing.

I did some research and as an experiment bought a used F8 shaft in stiff for 50 dollars with the adapter installed, I plugged it in and after some quick practice, I was hitting it much better(same loft). 

That was 4 weeks ago, My last round I hit 85.7% of fairways and averaged 277 yds off the tee according to Arccos (granted that was a very good round for me). Prior to the tinkering I was at 29% FIR and a 205 avg distance...

Maybe its just me, but I feel like the flexibility to tinker and adapt is paramount nowadays, especially for beginners whose swings can change from month to month or even week to week given proper instruction. Due to my experience and being able to seamlessly switch out a shaft, I just don't see myself ever buying a driver that isn't adjustable no matter how good it is. I may be in the minority but I feel like it's at least worth hearing opinions on the topic.

• Like 2

Hey Mgoblue, how are you liking the driver? I have the original JGR driver too and like it a lot but booted it for a XXIO X driver. I'm curious if the new jGR is more draw biased than the original?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Hey Mgoblue, how are you liking the driver? I have the original JGR driver too and like it a lot but booted it for a XXIO X driver. I'm curious if the new jGR is more draw biased than the original?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Was the original neutral or fade biased?

Oh, it's draw biased. Internally there's 25g of weight in the heel and there's also a 10g removable weight externally in the heel.

I've put 4g of lead in the toe and Bridgestone also just sent me a 2g weight that I'm going to test this weekend. I WAS snap hooking a lot of tee balls.

• Like 1

UPDATE: I haven't played in almost two weeks because I jacked up my back. I played today and started off with a tentative swing, but generally felt good. I had the best round in a couple years - 42/40 for an 82 (par 70). I made a point to hit as many D's and 3W's as practical to get more experience with them. Results were very good (a few screen shots below). Irons were only ok, I think I was being too tentative and skulled a few. Short game saved me - good enough chipping and clutch putting to end up with 26 putts.

Distances look strange in pics below because the driver plugged and all the 3w's got some decent roll, but I swear it seems like the 3w is flying almost as far as the driver, so I'm wondering if the shaft is maybe not quite a good match for me? Not sure, but overall I am pleased with both of them today as I had only 1 penalty and even the "bad" drives we're playable.Screenshot_20180929-143347.jpegScreenshot_20180929-143306.jpegScreenshot_20180929-143250.jpegScreenshot_20180929-143055.jpeg

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

This thread hasn't seen the light of day for a while, so it's time to bump it....

Another Update: I tweaked my back about three weeks ago, which sucked and put a serious damper on my golf activities - I have only played 45 holes in that time. At any rate, my understanding is we will not end up with the normal stage 2 and some of us had already graded in our initial posts, based on first impressions and 3 weeks with the clubs. I am currently working on a formal update to put a bow on this "super-secret" test, but here are my current thoughts on these woods.

DRIVER: I'm not sold on it just yet. While I have hit a few really nice shots with it (including driving the green on a ~250 yard par 4 at  @MattF's yearly family outing), I am almost as long with the 3W and more consistent. As I mentioned earlier, I'm wondering if it is not, at least partially, a shaft issue. The club is designed to be high launch, which I generally don't need, so if I were to get a lower launch shaft, would this work better for me? Perhaps....

3W: Now that I have quite a few more swings with this club, I am liking it more and more. I have had to adjust my grip a bit weaker compared to my old Callaway, presumably due to the draw bias (?). I'm only 5 - 10 yards shorter than the driver with this club and more accurate, so right now I see no need to pull the driver.

3H & 4H: These have been the star of the show out of all the woods. I am continually amazed at the distance and accuracy I am seeing from these clubs. Again, at @MattF's outing, there is another very short par 4 with a sharp dogleg right that was playing around 200 yards uphill. If you can't accurately hit a hard fade, you lay up about 150 yards off the tee. I told Matt I was going to pull the 4H and slice it around the bend. I hit it a bit thin and low, but it curved perfectly and we were on the fringe in 1. (Aside: this was a scramble and we couldn't two putt with 8 shots at it :() There is nothing in my old bag that would have allowed me to even attempt that shot. If the dogleg were the other direction, I don't even try - drawing the ball only happens by accident.

I'm hoping Matt, Rob, and MGoBlue are able to provide some updates, too!

• Like 7

First off Max is correct, there isn't a formal Stage 2 to this testing, it was more of a Pre Release Testing so that we could have some real life feedback out there on the forum on the day the lineup was announced, back on Sept 12th.

The line is available now as of Monday October 8th for accounts to order or display if they so choose.   Bridgestone still plans on getting the Test Drive program started back up, and is working toward that for sooner versus later.  

I'll add my updated thoughts just as Max did.

DRIVER: Just the opposite of my esteemed fellow tester.  This has definitely been the star of the show for me, although I haven't' driven any greenslike he has.  It has been generally a very straight fairway finder for me.   I've had very few misses with it, and they are usually the result of a either a lazy swing or trying to get too much out one.   I've played with a few different regular playing partners over the past two months, who have commented they've never seen me drive the ball better.   

JGR Driver Face.jpgJGR Driver Side View.jpg

So this could be a definite case of the shaft working differently for people.  That said, I should also clarify I ordered mine 1/2 short than standard.   That could be the reason for the increased accuracy, but I haven't lost any distance over my G400  Max and may actually be a few yards longer more consistently.   And the G400 has the custom fitted from TXG upgraded Fujikura Pro 2.0 shaft in it.   Ive been tempted to send the JGR off to have the same shaft installed in it, but I'm almost afraid to mess with a good thing.   

3W: If you read my earlier comments on this, you may recall I struggled with it.   But it was on a limited bases, as I do not hit a 3w often from the FW and I'm not so long with driver that i ever feel the need to lay back off the tee with a 3w.   That said, I have used this more the past two weeks from the fairway, and I may have found something with it.   I'm making solid contact with it, and getting great distance.   I did reach a green from 225 yards with it---counting the roll out--so that is something new I hadn't done before.  Even though previously i was using a shortened 5 wood that got me about 190 max.   

3 Wood Face.jpg3W with Ball at address.jpg

I really like the appearance of this club, and will continue to use it more often. 

3H & 4H: Jury still out on these, I've had some good shots with the 3H, mainly punching out of trouble and getting me a decent distance back down the fairway.  The 4H hasn't been nearly as consistent and long as my Titleist 816 H1.   

Complete Wood Set Pic.jpgHybrid W Ball at Address.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

JGR Driver Face.jpgJGR Driver Side View.jpg

So this could be a definite case of the shaft working differently for people.  That said, I should also clarify I ordered mine 1/2 short than standard.   That could be the reason for the increased accuracy, but I haven't lost any distance over my G400  Max and may actually be a few yards longer more consistently.   And the G400 has the custom fitted from TXG upgraded Fujikura Pro 2.0 shaft in it.   Ive been tempted to send the JGR off to have the same shaft installed in it, but I'm almost afraid to mess with a good thing.     

Complete Wood Set Pic.jpgHybrid W Ball at Address.jpg

thanks Rob.

It's  nevery occurred to me about shortening a shaft for better accuracy. Interesting.  I know that finding the fairway outweighs the slight loss in distance ( if any)?

PS - I love the graphics.

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates guys. I’d love to get a hold of that driver for a few swings but nobody has them in stock yet around me. Keep us posted if you become aware of any national agreements they may get.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

thanks Rob.
It's  nevery occurred to me about shortening a shaft for better accuracy. Interesting.  I know that finding the fairway outweighs the slight loss in distance ( if any)?

PS - I love the graphics.

Yep. Absolutely gives you —well at least me—better conttrol of the club during the swing. Why do you think your 8 iron goes much straighter than your 4 iron. Same reason.

But be warned shortening a shaft can affect SW dramatically. So its always best to do it at the time of order and request they keep the SW near D2 or so by finding a heavier head

If its done post purchase you might need to add some leas tape. But the guys who are into clubu building can tell you more about that than i can.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing
  • Like 1

Wow Rob that G400 Max was a total bomber for you too. Sweet to hear that the JGR may be even better... that’s really saying something!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3