Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Explain this to me...

StogiesnotBogeys

For the longest time, I went through just about every type of cast wedge on the market. I mean, my irons are Rogues, driver is G 400… So naturally I love forgiveness.

I came across a sweet deal on some Callaway V forged wedges so I pulled the trigger. $75 for all three in great shape. And now, almost without fail, I am putting enormous amounts of spin on the ball and I'm even checking them and rolling them backwards when I need to. Why do forged wedges works so much better for me than everything else which always seemed to roll out too much?

I mean I work on my swing as much as anyone, but these feel and play completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G400 9.5
Callaway XR16 4W

Callaway Rogue 3H, 4H, 5H

Callaway Rogue 6-P

Callaway Forged 50, 54, 58

Odyssey 7S 

Are you using the same ball?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Without issuing a questionnaire, in-depth swing analysis and possibly some probing my conclusion would be you've found the illusive model that matches you, I've been there and it's a great place to be. I don't know that there's much to explain in the forged vs. cast bit other than what most people probably already know but forged is my preference over cast wherever possible. Glad you found a good match

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

How old were your last wedges? What were their grooves live?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Maybe shaft weight or swing weight is influencing your technique a bit and you are getting more spin.

Cast vs forged has nothing to do with spin.  Heck, probably over 80% of wedges played on tour are cast (Vokey, Cleveland RTX, TaylorMade MG, standard Callaway MDs, Ping Glide 2.0, etc)

Maybe shaft weight or swing weight is influencing your technique a bit and you are getting more spin.

Cast vs forged has nothing to do with spin. Heck, probably over 80% of wedges played on tour are cast (Vokey, Cleveland RTX, TaylorMade MG, standard Callaway MDs, Ping Glide 2.0, etc)[/quote

Heck I've found that even worn grooves or not don't seem to matter for me. Seriously - I have a forged wedge that has been hit a lot, has a nice wear spot in the face and I spin it just fine for my purposes.

I'm thinking are colleague Ethan has nailed it - you've struck gold, be thankful and work on putting that spin to good effect!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMHO it is a combo of what Ethan and Jlukes said. You also did not mention the difference if any on the shafts. But I would not over think it any because from what I read you have found wedges that work for you. Rev also nailed it cast versus forged does not have anything at all to do with the grooves or stopping a ball. For me it makes a difference in feel but I admit I have an uncanny sense of feel. Rev also nailed it on the grooves I absolutely have no problem stopping my 20 year old 588s and those have never regrooved. You can ask MGSer John Smalls on that he has played golf with me. On the modern Conforming wedges I can't stop my Mizuno T-10 Quad cut any better or worse than my 588. I also have a Hopkins 58 which is a cast wedge again no stopping issues but I can feel the difference in it being cast but that is me and I have always had a uncanny sense of feel whether it is golf ,mechanicing or driving race cars

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I confess that I could never "feel" the difference between cast stainless vs. forged carbon steel,  but enough people say that the difference exists that I have to believe it.  My hands had been a bit abused anyway, so feel is minimal.

Actually, stainless often felt softer to me, but only because the stinging from poor contact was defused more by the style of clubhead cast in stainless. The metal had nothing to do with it.

In blade wedges, there would be no difference.

I find it hard to believe, though, that Stu doesn't have a tool to gouge out those old wedge grooves!

Oh I have the tools to do it with just have never messed with those wedges with the natural rust etc they stop just fine. Those 2 588s have a little pedigree as in they were hand made and seem a little harder than an average one

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On the subject of grooves... I thought this post was interesting.

https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2014/5/to-go-milled-or-not-milled

I have never noticed a loss of spin with my older wedges. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

While you might not notice or feel a loss of spin the launch monitor tells a different story. There are several different studies and videos that support this claim.

If you look at wedge testing as a whole for new wedges there can be a good deal of difference in spin rates (not always) from one to the other. As others have said you may have simply found the elusive weight, grind, shape, groove, and shaft flex combination that fits your swing perfectly.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On the subject of grooves... I thought this post was interesting.

https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2014/5/to-go-milled-or-not-milled

I have never noticed a loss of spin with my older wedges. 

Me either but I can tell you why in my case. My swing and set up is basically a anti hook swing. I actually cut across the ball by design from outside in. I have my left side open and my clubface at impact is about 2* open. That produces a lot of spin. Drivers long irons and fairways if I need a little distance or straighter I close my left side some and shut the club face some. But most of the time I play my baby cut. One of the reasons I went back to my Homna driver from the 915. Those 915s will kill you on sidespin. I do not like the draw too much or closing up because I fear the hook as bad as most fear the shanks. 

G

Archived