Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
chemclub

New 2019 Rules of Golf

On 1/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, Kenny B said:

What was the reasoning for dropping a ball at knee height, rather than dropping a ball from "no lower than knee height"?

I can see under certain conditions that I would want to drop as close to the ground as I could get to give me the best chance for a good lie or to maybe prevent the ball from rolling.  However, I also have conditions where it wouldn't matter how high off the ground I dropped the ball.  Why should I HAVE to drop it a knee height?  Just asking for someone who uses a long putter with a ball grabber on the end.

This drop height rule change seems goofy IMHO.  No big deal for our group play though as we place them on a nice tuff of grass 👍

• Like 1

These guys also did a nice job, taking one rule change per day for the entire month of December:
https://rulesgeeks.com/
Each one if maybe a 5-minute read, many with links to an illustrative video.

Thanks for passing the link along - I wasn't aware these guys.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

This one made me chuckle.  Leave it to Dr. DeChambeau to provide a little extra accentuation on a matter/issue.  If Tiger tweaks his back trying to perform the new ball drop maneuver, I'm guessing the rule gets changed back the next business day. 🤣

View image on Twitter

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, tony@CIC said:

A pretty concise video on the key rule changes: 

Thanks for that! I actually have that very same guy's print "Illustrated Guide to the Rules of Golf" and found it really helpful to learn the rules and especially various relief procedures. Guess I should pick up an updated copy!

Watching part of the Sony Open in Hawaii, and I'm not keeping count, but as a casual observation it seems when on the green more players are having the flag pulled (call it "traditional" play).

Curious to see how this develops over the season, and even if it becomes a new stat / new GC commentator talking point -- eg. putts made per distance with flag in vs out....

• Like 1

I must say, after watching last week and this week Hawaii matches I thought I'd see more "Cleaning of the green" with the new rules. Players have been moving right along except for the Mad Scientist he got put on the clock last week.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:29 AM, fixyurdivot said:

This one made me chuckle.  Leave it to Dr. DeChambeau to provide a little extra accentuation on a matter/issue.  If Tiger tweaks his back trying to perform the new ball drop maneuver, I'm guessing the rule gets changed back the next business day. 🤣

View image on Twitter

No Laying Up had a good take on this - would Arnie have looked like the alpha dog he was, dropping like this?  Hell no.

I get why they did it (reducing re-drops), but it's such a bad look.  Just another way to make golfers look goofy.

I kinda miss the over-the-shoulder drop.  When I watch Caddyshack with younger people, they don't understand why Chevy Chase is dropping over his shoulder.

• Like 1