TESTERS WANTED! ×

New 2019 Rules of Golf

chemclub

So the USGA released some rule changes and put together what I consider a slick little video for each rules distinction. Any thoughts?

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/major-changes.html

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little surprised by the double contact rule. Don't quite understand why that should be allowed.

I don't have any issue with leaving the flagstick in during putting. Seems to make sense and would speed up play.

You can now ground your club and take practice swings in a hazard (not a bunker) should rile a few feathers.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Everyone on here and WRX knows I am one of the biggest detractors of the USGA around. For ONCE it seems like they have some sense. Most of the "new rules" frankly is how the average Joe golfer plays it anyhow. Loved their little "tongue in cheek" statement on club lengths basically saying the longest club in the bag other than the putter to be used to measure. I think they are trying to address the slow play issue but I do not see where it will help because like I previously stated most average golfers play that way anyhow. The way the new rules are written as such gives local clubs and committees more latitude on local rules which they did anyhow. A lot of that was for them to save face with local clubs. One example was here several clubs here adopted a "local rule" to disregard the anchored putter ban in league play. Down here especially in tourist golf season a lot of courses marked OBs and some hazards as laterals to speed up play. They also moved drop areas to the green side of a hazard to speed up play. On the Professional side of things POP may determine whether the various tours adopt the new rules--- Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel and the USGA is seeing the light after so many screw ups

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Finally some rule changes that make sense. These seem to be common sense and the way most people play anyway. I know one of there main concerns was pace of play but if most Weekend warriors play this way anyway, it probably won't help much.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The stroke and distance rule is good and saves NR's when you cant be bothered going back 250 yds (350 if WRX ;) ) and theres people already on the tee

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

The maximum score rule makes sense - we already do it in informal play. What I'm interested in is at the end of the video they further defined it as double bogey and then said it could be 6, 8 or 10. I assume this refers to Equitable Stroke Control where you take the maximum allowable strokes for your handicap or is this (ESC) going away.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

These Rules changes were announced well over a year ago.  The USGA solicited reactions and suggestions based on the initial proposed changes, and a number of the "new" rules were revised, apparently in light of the public feedback.  Preliminary "near-final" information was released this spring, and the final versions of these rules were made available this week.  

The "local rule" for lost or OB balls is interesting.  If you know that your ball might be lost or OB, and hit a provisional, you're not allowed to use the "local rule".  I can envision a number of arguments over where the ball is likely to be lost, or where it went OB, as that point will determine where the relief is.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The maximum score rule makes sense - we already do it in informal play. What I'm interested in is at the end of the video they further defined it as double bogey and then said it could be 6, 8 or 10. I assume this refers to Equitable Stroke Control where you take the maximum allowable strokes for your handicap or is this (ESC) going away.

The recognition of a competition format with a maximum score establishes something we've had all along with Stableford competitions, its just scored a little differently.  However, it has nothing at all to do with ESC, handicap rules are  pretty much separate from rules of playing golf.  The Committee for the competition can establish any maximum score they choose, as far as I know.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Well, the entire Korean contingent of the LPGA will have to quit playing, since they can no longer have their caddies lining them up on every stroke.  How will they manage to play the game now?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Well, the entire Korean contingent of the LPGA will have to quit playing, since they can no longer have their caddies lining them up on every stroke.  How will they manage to play the game now?

This rule change will likely slow an already snails pace LPGA round.  I can see players get over the ball, and then back off because they won't trust their line... on every shot!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Golf really needs an alternate sanctioning body competing with the USGA for club affiliations.

Rugby has two completely different sets of rules, the proponents of which having an amusing disdain for one another.

Since being polarized is so in fashion today, why not have golf join in the fun?

It seems to be needing a jump start anyway as the growth period is obviously ended.

Of course, it's easy for me, in my miserable situation, to be full of suggestions.

Golf really needs an alternate sanctioning body competing with the USGA for club affiliations.

If you believe some of the quotes from PGA tour members about these revisions to the rules, you'd think the PGA Tour might consider writing their own rules.  I've been chuckling at that for about 18 months now.  As much as I respect the playing ability of these guys, for many of them the first rule of golf they read will be the one they write.  And if the few knowledgeable players do come up with some workable rules, you know the remainder will be complaining just as much as they do now.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

A lot of simplified rules in here that were needed even if they don't help speed up the game. The rules have been to confusing to find and interpret in many cases. I do find the double hit interesting as I thought you would at least have to count each strike but that isn't how I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you believe some of the quotes from PGA tour members about these revisions to the rules, you'd think the PGA Tour might consider writing their own rules. I've been chuckling at that for about 18 months now. As much as I respect the playing ability of these guys, for many of them the first rule of golf they read will be the one they write. And if the few knowledgeable players do come up with some workable rules, you know the remainder will be complaining just as much as they do now.

I will start to follow PGA rules when I start to play PGA golf.

Geopaas

Irons:   Ping G15s (5 - GW)

SW:      Ping Eye

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot

Hybrids: Taylor Made R7 3h

Honma 5h

Woods:   Taylor Made R15 3w

Taylor Made R7 5w

Taylor Made Aeroburner 7w (love this one)

Drivers: Cobra Fly Z

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think that there are PGA rules, are there?

Well, whenever they get a drop of rain they immediately go to lift, clean and cheat.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

A lot of simplified rules in here that were needed even if they don't help speed up the game. The rules have been to confusing to find and interpret in many cases. I do find the double hit interesting as I thought you would at least have to count each strike but that isn't how I read it.

You have never had to count each strike.  It has always been the stroke you made, plus one penalty stroke, no matter how many times you actually contacted the ball.

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think that there are PGA rules, are there?

Never have been.  When the proposed revisions were announced in March, 2017, a number of PGA players thought it was time for the PGA to develop their own rules.

https://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/03/01/rules-golf-pros-have-love-hate-relationship-proposed-changes

See the posts by Daniel Berger and Graham DeLaet.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I like these....i think it's the way most of us play a weekend round already

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Generally, pretty good rule changes for the average player.  

I found the Unplayable Ball in a Bunker change interesting.  I suppose it helps the beginner that can't hit out of sand, but the relief outside the bunker back-on-the-line with a 2-stroke penalty means that most likely they will have another chance to put it in the bunker!!

A few weeks ago I had an embedded ball under the lip of a bunker on #18.  I had to take a one stroke penalty and drop in the bunker, which I would do in any case.  In this circumstance there was no option to drop outside the bunker because the pond is back-on-the-line relief.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You have never had to count each strike. It has always been the stroke you made, plus one penalty stroke, no matter how many times you actually contacted the ball.

Never have been. When the proposed revisions were announced in March, 2017, a number of PGA players thought it was time for the PGA to develop their own rules.

https://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/03/01/rules-golf-pros-have-love-hate-relationship-proposed-changes

See the posts by Daniel Berger and Graham DeLaet.

if you read my post again I never said you ever had to count each strike. Said I though they might go to that.

if you read my post again I never said you ever had to count each strike. Said I though they might go to that.

My apologies, I mistook your intentions.  I think the new rule, no penalty for a double hit, reflects my experience.  I've had a couple of double-hits myself, and seen a number more, and the second (unintentional) strike never seemed to do anything positive.  As I understand it, an intentional double-hit would still be penalized.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My apologies, I mistook your intentions. I think the new rule, no penalty for a double hit, reflects my experience. I've had a couple of double-hits myself, and seen a number more, and the second (unintentional) strike never seemed to do anything positive. As I understand it, an intentional double-hit would still be penalized.

Agreed, you have already penalized yourself by hitting it again. Generally you didn't hit it well the first time and then hit it way to far and left the second time. You hit a bad shot and that is your penalty.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

As I understand it, an intentional double-hit would still be penalized.

Yes.  Rule 11.2.   In particular, 11.2b:

• A player gets the general penalty if he or she deliberately deflects or stops any ball in motion.

• This is true whether it is the player's own ball or a ball played by an opponent or by another player in stroke play.

If you deliberately hit your ball twice, the second time is a deliberate deflection for which this rule applies.

So, new Rule 1.3b(2) that incorporates Decision 34-3/10 introduced in April 2017 will now be called the "Lexi Rule"?

So long as the player did all that could be reasonably expected under the circumstances:

• The player gets no penalty for small inaccuracies, even if an advantage is gained.

Accepting a player's reasonable judgment limits the detailed analysis that can arise from the use of enhanced technology (such as video review when golf is televised).

My apologies, I mistook your intentions. I think the new rule, no penalty for a double hit, reflects my experience. I've had a couple of double-hits myself, and seen a number more, and the second (unintentional) strike never seemed to do anything positive. As I understand it, an intentional double-hit would still be penalized.

Agree. The result of the second hit rarely yields a positive result which seems penalty enough but you never know with USGA.

Correct. USGA Rules not PGA Rules.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

So, new Rule 1.3b(2) that incorporates Decision 34-3/10 introduced in April 2017 will now be called the "Lexi Rule"?

So long as the player did all that could be reasonably expected under the circumstances:

• The player gets no penalty for small inaccuracies, even if an advantage is gained.

Accepting a player's reasonable judgment limits the detailed analysis that can arise from the use of enhanced technology (such as video review when golf is televised).

No.  Lexi moved the ball a noticeable amount, and did not use reasonable care in replacing it in its original location..  Its reasonable to expect her to put the ball back pretty damn close to its original position, not 3/4 inch away, especially when she didn't lift it more than two inches off the ground.  

The thing that could reasonably be called the "Lexi rule" was the elimination of the two-stroke penalty for turning in a wrong scorecard, since she was unaware that she had breached the rule at the time.  And although not a rule, the decision by the pro tours to eliminate viewer call-ins in favor of full-time video monitoring by tour officials.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In case you haven't seen this - it's a side by side comparison of the new rules in a simple format. 

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/New-Rules/summary-of-main/Summary of Main Changes_2019 Rules of Golf_FINAL.pdf

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I for one really like the new OB rule - particularly for causal amateur play.  No reason not to play it like a red stake hazard IMO. Speeds up play. I don't see the need to change the grounding club in the sand or double hit penalty, but have no issue if they do change.  I would still like to see a rule allowing free drop from a fairway divot - have always found that to be a goofy rule.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived