TESTERS WANTED! ×

New 2019 Rules of Golf

chemclub

47 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think I had heard that CONGU will not accept scores made if the approved local rule that allows you an option to the stroke and distance penalty for OB and lost balls is in effect.  

Thanks, that's interesting. I wonder if this new rule is in fact not actually a new rule that's going to be in play now for competitions?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Thanks, that's interesting. I wonder if this new rule is in fact not actually a new rule that's going to be in play now for competitions?

This is NOT an actual rule, but instead an approved local rule.  The USGA/R&A suggest that it be used for casual play and lesser levels of competition, but not be used by professionals or elite amateurs.  It will be a decision made by each golf club as to whether to use the local rule,  under what circumstances, and in which specific areas of the golf course.  It may be in use for general play, but not for competitions, at the option of the Golf Club.  This local rule is discussed under E-5 here:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=8

You can find the identical wording on the R&A website.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is NOT an actual rule, but instead an approved local rule.  The USGA/R&A suggest that it be used for casual play and lesser levels of competition, but not be used by professionals or elite amateurs.  It will be a decision made by each golf club as to whether to use the local rule,  under what circumstances, and in which specific areas of the golf course.  It may be in use for general play, but not for competitions, at the option of the Golf Club.  This local rule is discussed under E-5 here:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=8

You can find the identical wording on the R&A website.

I see, thank you for clarifying.

I've a habit of going OB on the second shot to our par 5 18th causing me to NR as I dont want to walk back 250 yards up a steep hill so to drop with a 2 shot penalty was at least going to stop my NR's. But if CONGU decide it cant be used in comps then it looks like I'll continue my pattern 😉 

/yes I know I should play a provisional but the OB is just past some trees and sometimes it hits the trees then goes OB and I didnt know.🙄

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

I think your nickname should be stubborngolfer rather than persevering golfer

You have the habit of going out of bounds at this place.
When you do,  you NR rather than walk back 250 yards (nice drive, by the way).
You know you should play a provisional.
You don't play a provisional because sometimes you are not out of bounds.
You habitually find that you have gone out of bounds.
You NR  rather than walk back 250 yards ..........

..... and so the cycle  goes on. 

There's a Scots word  "thrawn".   That means being perversely stubborn to the point of disadvantaging yourself rather than giving in.  The cap fits, perhaps? 🙂

8 hours ago, Colin L said:

Dave, to be pernickety, any approved Local Rule that is adopted by a course/club is an actual Rule

Of course that's right, I just wanted to be clear that this rule doesn't apply to every course at all times, it applies to only those courses that choose to use it, and only for the occasions when it is specifically in effect.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

11 hours ago, Colin L said:

When you do,  you NR rather than walk back 250 yards (nice drive, by the way).

2nd shot not drive 😋 .....and 250yds up 2 steep hills when you are well over par is sensible for pace of play, not stubborn imo 😏

11 hours ago, Colin L said:

Dave, to be pernickety, any approved Local Rule that is adopted by a course/club is an actual Rule

...for that course 

A few interesting rule changes that are captured in this link: 

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/7-rules-of-golf-you-may-not-know-exist/

One that struck me is the one where you can tee  it up again without a penalty!

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Obscure for sure. Despite the slow crawl it’s nice to see the USGA reluctantly acknowledge the need to adapt the game to meet today’s golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

15 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

yeah thats a surprise as anyone who hits a full tee shot a few inches isnt really going to be fussed about a comp score so would probably have re-teed it regardless. If its a bounce game thats a given.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Obscure for sure. Despite the slow crawl it’s nice to see the USGA reluctantly acknowledge the need to adapt the game to meet today’s golfer.

Yup! I'm going to have to remember this one though - not that I've ever done it ( 😂

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Yup! I'm going to have to remember this one thought - not that I've ever done it (

Ha! I think you’re in the majority

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Thanks for sharing. I’m curious if I tee off from the blues and I land on the ladies tee box do I get to tee up again? You all can save the, “no you can’t tee up again but you have to drop your pants” comments.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Thanks for sharing. I’m curious if I tee off from the blues and I land on the ladies tee box do I get to tee up again? You all can save the, “no you can’t tee up again but you have to drop your pants” comments.

My top two prayers when I approach the tee box:

Please God don't let me whiff the ball

And......

God I hope I can get it past the ladies tee......

Just kidding

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

43 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Part of 6.2.a:

This Rule applies only to the teeing area the player must play from in starting the hole he or she is playing, not to any other teeing locations on the course(whether on the same hole or a different hole).

I will recommend to everyone that they learn to look up rules for themselves.  The app for phones is really complete, and includes the "Interpretations".  Access to the Rules and Interpretations on the USGA website is also pretty easy.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

49 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

... I think you might need to move up a tee... 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

22 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

That one is interesting. I've played for 40 years and not sure I've seen more than a couple shots actually come off the tee but stay within that 2 club length area. It is handy if it occurs I guess

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

19 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Not as I read this, no. The explanation I found says 2 club lengths forward only:

The interpretation of Rule 6.2, namely (6)/1, is coming to your rescue. It says “any time a player’s ball is inside the teeing area, the player may move the ball to another spot within the teeing area, and may play it from a tee without penalty”.

So just pick it up, put it back on a tee, and hit the ball properly this time – remembering that it is your second shot. Or play it as it lies, the choice is yours.

Just to be clear, the teeing area is classed as a “rectangle that is two club-lengths deep where the front edge is defined by the line between the forward-most points of two tee-markers set by the committee. The side edges are defined by the lines back from the outside points of the tee-markers”.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

Not as I read this, no. The explanation I found says 2 club lengths forward only:

The interpretation of Rule 6.2, namely (6)/1, is coming to your rescue. It says “any time a player’s ball is inside the teeing area, the player may move the ball to another spot within the teeing area, and may play it from a tee without penalty”.

So just pick it up, put it back on a tee, and hit the ball properly this time – remembering that it is your second shot. Or play it as it lies, the choice is yours.

Just to be clear, the teeing area is classed as a “rectangle that is two club-lengths deep where the front edge is defined by the line between the forward-most points of two tee-markers set by the committee. The side edges are defined by the lines back from the outside points of the tee-markers”.

And as I mentioned above, 6.2.a clearly says its only the tee that the player is required to play from on that specific hole.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 12/10/2018 at 10:45 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

Anyone heard about any potential changes to the new 'drop on fairway after OB' rule?

NCG has tweeted they will have news on this rule as they didnt include it in their summary of major changes. 

On 12/10/2018 at 2:47 PM, DaveP043 said:

I think I had heard that CONGU will not accept scores made if the approved local rule that allows you an option to the stroke and distance penalty for OB and lost balls is in effect.  

So its now official.

CONGU, who govern handicaps and competitions in the UK, have decided you won’t be able to use it in qualifying competitions or for supplementary scores.

In fact, they have gone even further – suggesting it be encouraged for members and visitors for “casual play only”.

It will be up to clubs to decide whether they choose to allow it in matchplay and betterball competitions.

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

So its now official.

CONGU, who govern handicaps and competitions in the UK, have decided you won’t be able to use it in qualifying competitions or for supplementary scores.

In fact, they have gone even further – suggesting it be encouraged for members and visitors for “casual play only”.

It will be up to clubs to decide whether they choose to allow it in matchplay and betterball competitions.

This makes me wonder if CONGU weren't consulted when the revisions to the rules were being discussed, or perhaps their input was ignored.  In my personal opinion, I don't believe that use of this local rule will make a significant difference in the scores reported.  As I understand it, there is some type of per-hole stroke limit in every existing handicap system.  I think that when you're laying 3 after your drive, you're likely to run into the stroke limit in most cases.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

37 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This makes me wonder if CONGU weren't consulted when the revisions to the rules were being discussed, or perhaps their input was ignored.  In my personal opinion, I don't believe that use of this local rule will make a significant difference in the scores reported.  As I understand it, there is some type of per-hole stroke limit in every existing handicap system.  I think that when you're laying 3 after your drive, you're likely to run into the stroke limit in most cases.  

yes, a double bogie is the maximum score that handicap will be calculated on.

I was +1 after 17 holes once, then got an eleven on 18th - still got a handicap cut as the par 5 was treated as a max 7 for handicap.

It looks like most clubs would be safer just not allowing it across all comps

26 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

yes, a double bogie is the maximum score that handicap will be calculated on.

I was +1 after 17 holes once, then got an eleven on 18th - still got a handicap cut as the par 5 was treated as a max 7 for handicap.

It looks like most clubs would be safer just not allowing it across all comps

It depends on the persons course hdcp. For some it’s double bogey others it’s a 7 regardless of par for the hole

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It depends on the persons course hdcp. For some it’s double bogey others it’s a 7 regardless of par for the hole

It depends where you are, and what handicap system has jurisdiction.  For many parts of the world, the max hole score equates to net double bogey.  I'm pretty sure that will apply to all of us in just over 12 months.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

We use the double par rule for our groups.  No one maintains official handicaps anyway and it keeps clubs from being hurtled about or used as excavation tools, and course play/pace moving along.  Starting out knowing the worst you can get is 144 takes all the pressure off. 😂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Happy New Year Everyone!!! Time to start playing by the new rules. If you're like me, you've already been "testing out" the new rules to get prepared. I don't know about you, but I'm expecting some hefty rules debates in my summer league. Both folks that are uninformed and those trying to take advantage and stretch the rules will likely be at the center of these debates. 

Up until now, there's been a lot of short versions but I think this expanded summary will help clarify those gray area:

15 Things You Need To Know: New Rules of Golf

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

37 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Happy New Year Everyone!!! Time to start playing by the new rules. If you're like me, you've already been "testing out" the new rules to get prepared. I don't know about you, but I'm expecting some hefty rules debates in my summer league. Both folks that are uninformed and those trying to take advantage and stretch the rules will likely be at the center of these debates. 

Up until now, there's been a lot of short versions but I think this expanded summary will help clarify those gray area:

15 Things You Need To Know: New Rules of Golf

That was pretty good, thank-you for putting it out there!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

New rule - dropping ball from knee height didn't work yesterday. Yesterday we tried a couple of the new rules. For me that was dropping from the knee. I just dropped from my knee straight down and it came to rest in an awkward depression. If I had stood straight and with an extended arm I could have landed in a much better spot. Question...

Can you extend your arm laterally or behind but still at approximate knee height and make the drop? No closer to hole of course. All examples I've seen simply show a person dropping straight down next to their shoe without any lateral extension.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived