Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The importance of the LPGA

TheWahoo

In another thread, it was noted that the last LPGA major was won by an American, Angela Stanford, with other Americans high on the leaderboard.  Rightfully, Ms. Stanford deserves whole hearted congratulations as well as other American players.   A TGC commentator made a rather interesting point regarding the LPGA majors.  It seems that each major winner was from a differing country.   The ANA-Sweden; the US Open-Thailand; the PGA-Korea; the British Open-England; and Evian-the USA.   

Needless to say, domestically, we would like to see more American players on the leaderboard and more Americans winning and that is totally appropriate not only from national pride but the fact that the LPGA is an American founded and established tour.   But unlike the men's tour, the LPGA out of necessity is no longer an American tour with foreign participation; it has become an international tour.  Therein lies its value not only to American women golfers but to the ladies of the world.   While surely we would like to see more American ladies leading and winning, we should take pride that the LPGA is an American created product and has evolved into a means to promote women's golf world wide.   Without the LPGA, what would be the status of female professional golf.  One just needs to look to the ladies of Korea.   

I understand that in Korea the Ladies tour is more popular than the Men's. I was happy to not only see Angela win - since she's never won a major before and she"s 41 but also that Evian bumped the purse not only for this year but next year as well.

I was also pulling for Amy Olsen = Sunday was a good learning experience for her since she led by 3.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't follow pro golf in general much anymore.

It's largely because I really enjoyed the recreational game when I could play it--

participation golf--

and men's pro golf bears less and less resemblance to it as time goes on.

It's more like video game golf.

Women's pro golf is a little bit more like normal golf,

but even there,

I followed it in the 70s and 80s but not now.

I had a local favorite to follow, Jane Blalock, back then,

and I don't have one now.

No young women from this area is killing it on the LPGA Tour,

so that's probably it.

But i'm not sure how the LPGA Tour being an international tour makes it more important.

I'm all for being cosmopolitan and a citizen of the world,

but if American players become irrelevant,

American viewers would seem to become irrelevant as well.

I like watching the LPGA.  Those ladies are good.  While I would like to see more Americans competing at the top, I'm sure that's the case for every country with competitors.  The point is to be at the top and stay there, they have to work very hard and thus far, I see the Korean ladies working the hardest.  

Generally, players on the LPGA have a shorter career than the PGA.  Getting married, having a family seems to take a big toll on the ladies, and many don't make it back on tour even if they wanted to; Annika, Lorena, Se-Ri Pak.  With a few exceptions the LPGA is a young player's sport.  It becomes extremely important to make the scene as early as possible and put in long hours.  I just haven't seen the US players do that as much as the Korean players.  

There are quite a few new, young US players coming up on tour.  It's nice to see that.  Maybe they will keep the fire longer.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I enjoy the LPGA as well, it is certainly very global.....especially the Asian countries in general are well represented

Their game is also probably more 'relatable' to us, although they'd still kick my a** badly from any set of tees

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

The LPGA is as important as the media wants to make it. Unfortunately in the US, it isn't a priority. In other counties it is. Just follow a Japanese player for a few holes and you will see a massive amount of media following the player. I think even the KLPGA gets more attention outside the US than the LPGA gets in the US.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

But i'm not sure how the LPGA Tour being an international tour makes it more important.

I'm all for being cosmopolitan and a citizen of the world,

but if American players become irrelevant,

American viewers would seem to become irrelevant as well.

Initially, let me state that I understand your post and cannot disagree with your point regarding the potential impact on American viewers.  I guess all I can say is that without the efforts of the LPGA, ladies professional golf itself would become rather irrelevant.  Moreover, it is my hope that the current lack of American players on the world stage will provide the incentive to produce more American players with a proprietary attitude towards the tour.  It is my hope that some day there will be the ladies version of the "Class of 2011".   

Initially, let me state that I understand your post and cannot disagree with your point regarding the potential impact on American viewers. I guess all I can say is that without the efforts of the LPGA, ladies professional golf itself would become rather irrelevant. Moreover, it is my hope that the current lack of American players on the world stage will provide the incentive to produce more American players with a proprietary attitude towards the tour. It is my hope that some day there will be the ladies version of the "Class of 2011".

I agree and with the lack of exposure being a global type tour is important. The Ladies Euro Tour is close to collapsing. Unfortunately for most Americans not having more American golfers at the top and winning regularly will impact viewership and support but for me I like watching good golf and as much as I would like to see more American winners I'm ok with seeing winners from every where and many tournaments having close scores that bring excitement on Sunday

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree and with the lack of exposure being a global type tour is important. The Ladies Euro Tour is close to collapsing. Unfortunately for most Americans not having more American golfers at the top and winning regularly will impact viewership and support but for me I like watching good golf and as much as I would like to see more American winners I'm ok with seeing winners from every where and many tournaments having close scores that bring excitement on Sunday

Well put.

Agree with it being more "relatable" .. eg. you can get a sense of how the players are working their way around the course.

As an aside, when watching the LPGA on the Golf Channel you actually see a LOT more golf being played .. and way fewer commercials .. vs the men's Tour (plus added bonus no one shouting "ba ba booey" or "mashed potatoes" after every shot).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Well put.

Agree with it being more "relatable" .. eg. you can get a sense of how the players are working their way around the course.

As an aside, when watching the LPGA on the Golf Channel you actually see a LOT more golf being played .. and way fewer commercials .. vs the men's Tour (plus added bonus no one shouting "ba ba booey" or "mashed potatoes" after every shot).

I think you see more putting than tee shots.  Seems like it's mostly approaches and putting.  My guess is that it's because most of the ladies hit the fairway most of the time, so not much to see.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Initially, let me state that I understand your post and cannot disagree with your point regarding the potential impact on American viewers.  I guess all I can say is that without the efforts of the LPGA, ladies professional golf itself would become rather irrelevant.  Moreover, it is my hope that the current lack of American players on the world stage will provide the incentive to produce more American players with a proprietary attitude towards the tour.  It is my hope that some day there will be the ladies version of the "Class of 2011".   

Let me ask you this:

Did you see Patrick Reed win the Poulan Weed Eater Masters Championship this past spring?

See where the LPGA really is?

I've always like the LPGA and the level of golf it provides because it's more relateable to me and my swing speed and abilities, even as a younger golfer.  I remember going to the Women's Open at St. George's in Toronto back in the 80's and following up and coming "youngsters" like Julie Inkster and Jan Stephenson.  They hit the same clubs from the same distances as me and drove the ball about the same.  it's very much an international tour which is great for the game in general. 

I've always like the LPGA and the level of golf it provides because it's more relateable to me and my swing speed and abilities, even as a younger golfer. I remember going to the Women's Open at St. George's in Toronto back in the 80's and following up and coming "youngsters" like Julie Inkster and Jan Stephenson. They hit the same clubs from the same distances as me and drove the ball about the same. it's very much an international tour which is great for the game in general.

Yup that s the general consensus. Much more relatable than guys bombing. It 350 yds.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel