Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

"Where are they now?" - Pixl Golf

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Pixl Golf New Patent

Pixl Golf Iron

Metal woods and cavity back irons changed the way the game of golf was played forever. And back in 2000, Pixl Golf was hoping to do the same thing when they introduced their patented pixl face technology. If you still don't remember who the hell Pixl Golf is, maybe the visual of a honey comb smashed into the face of a golf club will jog your memory.

Ping Isoforce Putter

Ping actually used their technology years before Pixl Golf had their own line, with the Ping IsoForce, which sold over 300,000 putters. {insert pic of ping putter} The company had high hopes and some big names involved (Tom Stites, head designer for Nike Golf) with the hope of revolutionizing the game of golf once more. But for some reason they disappeared from the golf world just 3 years later.

Pixl Golf Patent

But recently I came across a patent that may indicate they are wanting to get back into the game. The patent is assigned to Pixl Golf Company and the inventor is the same as before. This takes the USGA's new adjustability ruling to the next level. Not only would you be able to swap out shafts in your driver but you would actually be able to change many aspects of the actual face. New Patent

#TruthDigest

For those of us who are newer to the golf equipment world, can someone explain the idea behind the "pixl face" technology, please?

Could it possibly be like grooves on a putter face, which are there to reduce impact area with the ball to increase topspin (or decrease backspin).

I feel slow that I never put the Ping putters with the Pixl's together with the "Pixl" company. Duhh. Both putters felt pretty good and the idea makes some sense. Look what Nike is doing with the new Victory Red "Power Channel" or whatever. create consistent flex accross the face regardless of impact area. The Pixl's should do something similiar... I think ;)

KWheels 

For those of us who are newer to the golf equipment world, can someone explain the idea behind the "pixl face" technology, please?

IIRC, it's the concept of putting a lighter and softer material in the face to re-distribute the weight.

I've got two or three of those Pings with the pixl insert....they are great, as long as you hit the insert. ;)

IIRC, it's the concept of putting a lighter and softer material in the face to re-distribute the weight.

I've got two or three of those Pings with the pixl insert....they are great, as long as you hit the insert. ;)

Ok, so just a further evolution of perimeter weighting? Thanks for the info.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Pixl wedges were definitely a very interesting concept and I use to see one every now and then, but I haven't seen one in years and quite frankly I saw this thread and brought back the old memories of those ugly wedges.

• SPY VIP

Yes Ping used the technology in a model sactown...you are right.

Isn't there one version of the Ping putter with pixels that is quite valuable?

#TruthDigest

Yes Ping used the technology in a model sactown...you are right.

There's actually 3 versions, IIRC.

1) Ping had the original version that had a slightly larger nickel insert, but it was very expensive -- both to make and sell. This is the version some of their Tour guys used.

2) So, they came out with a version that had a slightly smaller nickel insert to sell to the masses.

3) Then, they came out with a version that had an insert of copper or some other metal of a bronze-type color.

Of course, the ones with the larger nickel insert are the ones that are supposed to be of some value (what kind of value, IDK).

IsoPure vs. IsoForce?

It may be a comic book memory I am overlapping here. The remind me of the mattress adds with the independent wrapped coils.

I remember those PING putters. Man, they felt great. Never bought one though, but they sure felt solid. I remember the PIXL wedges too. I would think for feel's sake, you'd want more mass behind the face, not just completely at the perimeter. But what do I know...

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

IsoPure vs. IsoForce?

It may be a comic book memory I am overlapping here. The remind me of the mattress adds with the independent wrapped coils.

That's them...I had forgotten the names.

There's actually 3 versions, IIRC.

1) Ping had the original version that had a slightly larger nickel insert, but it was very expensive -- both to make and sell. This is the version some of their Tour guys used.

2) So, they came out with a version that had a slightly smaller nickel insert to sell to the masses.

3) Then, they came out with a version that had an insert of copper or some other metal of a bronze-type color.

Of course, the ones with the larger nickel insert are the ones that are supposed to be of some value (what kind of value, IDK).

I wish I had bought the first version you mention when they were still relatively cheap. Now they are going for over $300 on the Bay. :)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I wish I had bought the first version you mention when they were still relatively cheap. Now they are going for over $300 on the Bay. :rolleyes:

Is that a collector or a player who is buying them?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Is that a collector or a player who is buying them?

It has to be collectors.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

$300. Just the same price as a brand new shiny Scott Cameron design. Hmmmmmm.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

$300. Just the same price as a brand new shiny Scott Cameron design. Hmmmmmm.

Yeah, EXACTLY. Nobody in their right mind (other than a collector) would pay $300 for an old Ping design when they could game a brand new Scotty, Bettinardi, Ping Redwood, or other top line putter for that.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Pixl Golf New Patent

Pixl Golf Iron

Metal woods and cavity back irons changed the way the game of golf was played forever. And back in 2000, Pixl Golf was hoping to do the same thing when they introduced their patented pixl face technology. If you still don't remember who the hell Pixl Golf is, maybe the visual of a honey comb smashed into the face of a golf club will jog your memory.

Ping Isoforce Putter

Ping actually used their technology years before Pixl Golf had their own line, with the Ping IsoForce, which sold over 300,000 putters. {insert pic of ping putter} The company had high hopes and some big names involved (Tom Stites, head designer for Nike Golf) with the hope of revolutionizing the game of golf once more. But for some reason they disappeared from the golf world just 3 years later.

Pixl Golf Patent

But recently I came across a patent that may indicate they are wanting to get back into the game. The patent is assigned to Pixl Golf Company and the inventor is the same as before. This takes the USGA's new adjustability ruling to the next level. Not only would you be able to swap out shafts in your driver but you would actually be able to change many aspects of the actual face. New Patent

I used to play the Pixl cavity backs. They were shaped like Eye2s but with the pixl insert. Made sense in terms of not losing much on off-center shots since the pixls were individualized points of contact. Got them on blowout for cheap and got rid of them for cheap. Can't remember much about the performance back then because I was just starting out.

• 1 year later...

Archived