TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf For Most of Us?

NiftyNiblick

If that course is in Florida I would have to lay up on number 10.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's downhill, Rev, and thus not in Florida!.

See how short 18 is coming back up the hill?

You're confident in hitting driver straight and the green is deep.

I really think that you're there on number ten, probably with 3-wood in the right conditions. .

Short is better than long there, anyway.  No issues.

I've had to sink tough putts for five going long.

Where is this club Nifty? I see a road trip in my future...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to courses like this. It looks like this would be challenging for all skill levels, but has the balance to make it an enjoyable round as well.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Where is this club Nifty? I see a road trip in my future...

It's in Methuen, Massachusetts, about thirty miles north of Boston.

If you're on the airport side of Boston, it's little more than a half-hour drive.

If you're on the west side of Boston (The Country Club, Brookline!), it's an hour--still not bad.

(And if you're in Exeter, it's almost a walk! I just noticed your location.)

Some holes were moved (compared to this old original scorecard) around 2008

when the course was completely restored after flooding issues__

and after the Merrimack River overflowed in a terrible storm a few years earlier--

completely new drainage system among other things.

But the differences aren't major in terms of how the course plays--

just as Donald Ross designed it to play in 1906.

The tennis is also gone in favor of new houses being built near the course..

While that course isn't in Florida, my home course here in Tallahassee (Hilaman) has a 217 yard par 3, 17th hole, with trees both left and right, and OB just left where the trees are.  It's incredibly tight, and that 217 yards from the tips plays at least 10 yards longer, as I have to hit a 4 wood to reach it, which 99% of the time I miss.  The course itself is only 6,333 yards from the tips, so it's easily manageable for all sorts of level of golfers, except for this one hole.  And I've actually considered whether or not laying up on this hole makes more sense.  

What makes this one hole even worse is that the green is severely undulated, and if you hit into the right side of the green, your ball will roll off and into a valley of fringe, much like what the pros had to deal with at Shinnecock, where only the best of shots stayed on the green.  Bluntly put, this one par 3 is probably one of the hardest par 3s I've ever played, from any course I play, and I get to play this hole once a week at minimum.

I played a quick nine after work last night and decided to play the back nine.  I got to #17 and cranked a 4 wood, which actually hit the green and ended up on the back behind the green, where I had a nasty little chip to a green which slopes from back to front.  Anything above the hole on this hole is nearly impossible to stop.  So I took caution with my chip and it just didn't take the slope the way I hoped it would, and left myself with about a 25 footer straight down the hill.  Only by some miracle did I happen to make that putt.

Honestly, I don't care who you are, this one hole is just about impossible to par, unless you make a miracle shot out of the three you are attempting, such as I did last night.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Sounds like a pretty tough hole, G.

A well designed hole gives you at least one smart way to play it.

If it doesn't, it should be considered for alteration.

Unless it's the top handicap hole on that side,  1 or 2,

in which case par is supposed to feel special.

I hate par 3's... the less the better!

They're the holes that still give you longer clubs into greens, S&B.

The way people are bombing their drivers now, the sets may as well be driver, six wedges, and a putter!

It's fun hitting a four iron--from a perfect lie--at a green now and then.

There is a course nearby with 7 par 3s and 3 play over 200 yards.

I always think that I should be able to shoot in the low 70's when I go out there but inevitably the par 3s screw me up and I walk away in the 80's. The par 3s are just mean, one has a 210 carry over a ravine and one has a 215 carry over a lake. Who does that?

I hate that course!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If I designed a golf course there would be six par 3s, six par 4s and six par 5s.  I've always wanted an equal distribution of par holes for the golf course, and I've never understood why we have so many more par 4s then 3s and 5s.  Makes no sense to me.

Sounds like a pretty tough hole, G.

A well designed hole gives you at least one smart way to play it.

If it doesn't, it should be considered for alteration.

Unless it's the top handicap hole on that side,  1 or 2,

in which case par is supposed to feel special.

Interestingly enough it's the #6 handicap hole, probably because it's a par 3, which usually never is rated the #1 or #2 handicap hole on a golf course.  The par 4 11th, which is a beast of a dogleg left par 4 is #2, and the par 5 16th is rated #4, which frankly, I don't understand, because that's an easy par 5 to me.  I guess 16 is considered hard by a lot of players, because there is a lake to the right and OB to the left that makes hitting a long and straight tee shot a requirement.  

I guess a big part of #17 to me is now mental, as that hole has gotten inside my head, to where I'm already thinking about the tee shot there when I am hitting into #16 and see that bastard to my left waiting for me.  I guess that's similar to how the pros feel with #17 at Sawgrass.  They have that hole in mind when they are teeing off on #1 and know it's coming.  Same mental olympics I am going through I guess.

If I designed a golf course there would be six par 3s, six par 4s and six par 5s.  I've always wanted an equal distribution of par holes for the golf course, and I've never understood why we have so many more par 4s then 3s and 5s.  Makes no sense to me.

There's a course near me VERY CLOSE to that, GSwag.

Seven par 3s, five par 5s, and only six par fours. It's a par 70 instead of the par 72 that your course would be. But it's a great layout.

There's a course near me VERY CLOSE to that, GSwag.

Seven par 3s, five par 5s, and only six par fours. It's a par 70 instead of the par 72 that your course would be. But it's a great layout.

I always think par is irrelevant when determining if a course is worth playing or not. I can be challenged by 120yd par 3's just as easily as 600yd par 5's.

What I look for in a course is whether or not it made me think about what shots I could play, if I had multiple options of how to play hole, and the green complexes. I have found some short courses that engage my brain throughout and long courses that are boring marches up and back across a property.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I guess a big part of #17 to me is now mental, as that hole has gotten inside my head, to where I'm already thinking about the tee shot there when I am hitting into #16 and see that bastard to my left waiting for me.

You do realize that everybody has a hole like that, G, right?

I had #4 at Crystal Lake

#3 at Trull Brook.

#5 at Hickory Hill.

I could hear them laughing as I approached the tee,

I'm lucky that there wasn't a grenade in my ball pocket.

By that time, I was so unnerved that I may have tried hitting it off the tee.

I always think par is irrelevant when determining if a course is worth playing or not. I can be challenged by 120yd par 3's just as easily as 600yd par 5's.

What I look for in a course is whether or not it made me think about what shots I could play, if I had multiple options of how to play hole, and the green complexes. I have found some short courses that engage my brain throughout and long courses that are boring marches up and back across a property.

I wasn't quite up to the level of looking for a challenge as you do, palvord.

Walking from my car to my cart was a challenge on some mornings, depending on the night before.

Without a large Dunkin Donuts coffee in my hand on the way, I might not have made it.

I was looking for a course that wouldn't stop me on cuts before I went the distance.

Until you're down to about a five handicap, I figured that this was what golf was about.

Yup, good point.  The two courses closest to me are both 9 hole and both use two tee boxes.  My playing partner just commented last week while we were have a post round brew that these are nearly as challenging the Jack Nicklaus Old Works GC.  Both the 9 hole courses have much more tree challenges and one has more blind tee shots and/or approaches. I use to think that 9 hole courses were kind of like kissing your sister and generally not as challenging as most 18 hole courses - I've changed my viewpoint on this.

As for 18 hole courses, crammed onto 80 acres, being "the future of course layouts", I'm hoping not.  I like my golf courses big and sprawling.  I don't care for compressed layouts where fairways pass one another like interstates and greens and tees are so close you can see which brand balls the other group is playing.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I like my golf courses big and sprawling.  I don't care for compressed layouts where fairways pass one another like interstates and greens and tees are so close you can see which brand balls the other group is playing.  

I find those sprawling  courses unfair.  They only give you one fairway to aim at.  

The course in the OP is similar to the one I play most days.  Par 69, just over 6000 yards on 110 acres.  Still a challenge.  Lots of up and down.  The greens were built in the 1920s and have some slope to them.     

I played one of those courses in Phoenix.  Not very memorable; every hole was parallel to the last one... back and forth.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As for 18 hole courses, crammed onto 80 acres, being "the future of course layouts", I'm hoping not.  I like my golf courses big and sprawling.  I don't care for compressed layouts where fairways pass one another like interstates and greens and tees are so close you can see which brand balls the other group is playing.  

My home course here in Tallahassee has a very compressed, old school layout, because it was built in the 1970's I believe.  Started out as a private Country Club, and was bought by the city some years ago and is now the only 18-hole Muni in town.  But with an old school layout, you have a very tight track, where almost every hole parallels another, and not a round goes by where I don't hear an errant "FORE!!!" from some group somewhere as they sprayed a drive or shot onto an adjacent hole.  In fact, there are several holes where playing down the previous hole's fairway is actually advantageous.  Hole #4 for instance, is a short par 4 of only 300 yards, but it has a pond guarding the front of the green, so you are forced to hit like a 5 or 6 iron off of the tee to layup in front of the water for a wedge in.  But I've been known to crank driver to the right over the trees into the 3rd fairway, where you'll have a straight pitch into the green that avoids the pond altogether.

Same deal on #14, which parallels the 13th fairway.  If you miss right and hit it into the 13th fairway, you'll still have an easy wedge into the green and are not penalized at all.  In fact, some folks might even consider it a strategy on this course to do both of what I am describing above.  I guess it just depends on the golfer and what their game dictates.

Another one.  Hole #11 is a nasty dogleg left par 4, with mega trees guarding the left side so you can't just cut the corner.  However, if you pull a ball far enough left and aim at the 13th tee box, you can play to the left of all of the trees and still have a midiron into the 11th green and essentially cutting the corner.  Not a wise play, or something you should attempt regularly, as there is enough wood between 13 and 11 (12 is a short par 3 connecting the two holes fwiw) to give any golfer pause to even try that route, but I've been over there and played from there many times.

I would even go so far as to say that if you removed all the trees from this course that I'd be playing adjacent fairways all day long as a strategy.  One hole (#7) is so wickedly tight that I bought a club, just for this hole.  My Ping 4 crossover is used on this hole every time, as I need a 200 yard shot with a 45 degree draw to the left towards the end of the shot.  My 4 crossover is reliable enough to give me that shot most of the time.

Archived