JudgeSmails

Things that could make hole in one less significant

Absolutely nothing would make my hole in one feel less significant.  I've had a handful of within inches, but still looking to join the ranks.

• Like 1

Still chasing my first but I'd imagine I would have mixed feelings if I mishit or skulled it and it still found the hole.

That's pretty much how I got my one and only, no mixed feelings at all. With my l.o.f.t I consider it a gift from the golf gods for playing in the rain that day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1. On a Par 3 (or executive) Course (I guess the only diff here is you get more shots at it, I would still count it)

I'd count it too. In fact I'll be playing an 18-hole par three course next week. If I make a 1 it's a 1. With our gambling I'd say get out your wallet fellows. 

2. During a scramble

Hate scrambles but will play them once in a long while for a charity I support. Still.... it's an Ace! Kind of like when I made my HIO during a partnership tournament. Legit.

3. The dreaded 'Playing by yourself w/ no witnesses'

Hasn't happened to me while alone but... should I make one I'll certainly tell my friends. They'd rib me for sure.

4. They are repairing a tee box and have temporarily shortened the hole significantly (like it's normally a 180yd par 3 that is playing at 100yds)

It's still an Ace! But I wouldn't want it printed in the paper.

5. Hit your first in the drink, re-tee and knock it in (yes this is technically just a par, but are you putting that ball on the shelf?)

No Ace. Lot's of vomit.

• Like 2

1-4 are all the same for me. All holes in one and I am really happy about it.

5- well, it isn't a hole in one and I would be terribly disappointed BUT I would still keep the ball as it would be my longest hole out ever.

I have had tons of near misses but no HIOs. (Yet)

P.S Hey, this is my 1000th post! 😄

• Like 6

What about a non-official shot?

Example: A while back on business, we snuck in some golf on a travel day. Didn't have enough daylight for 18 but still had some left after 9. We decided to play closest to the pin for a dollar from 10 tee over a pond to one of the back 9 greens (140ish yards).

I hit a pink rock ball that landed on the "front" but the green sloped away from us so severely the hole couldn't be seen. Threw my PW into my bag and drove over to the green. Didn't find it so I figured it was lost and only found out it went in when one of the other guys walked by the hole.

Double whammy. Didn't see it go in and didn't hit it during a real round. As far as I'm concerned, it didn't happen.

Edit: No chance, they didn't pay their dollars

• Like 3

You still bought a round of drinks?

Example: A while back on business, we snuck in some golf on a travel day. Didn't have enough daylight for 18 but still had some left after 9. We decided to play closest to the pin from 10 tee over a pond to one of the back 9 greens for a dollar.

I hit a pink rock ball that landed on the "front" but the green sloped away from us so severely the hole couldn't be seen. Threw my PW into my bag and drove over to the green. Didn't find it so I figured it was lost and only found out it went in when one of the other guys walked by the hole.

Double whammy. Didn't see it go in and didn't hit it during a real round. As far as I'm concerned, it didn't happen.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Example: A while back on business, we snuck in some golf on a travel day. Didn't have enough daylight for 18 but still had some left after 9. We decided to play closest to the pin from 10 tee over a pond to one of the back 9 greens for a dollar.

That in my mind is a Hole in One.

Did the ball go in the hole? Yes

Was it on the first shot? Yes

Was it from the tee box? Yes

Therefore, it is a hole in one to me.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see that it wasn't to the 10th green.

Not a hole in one but really great shot.

The is a hole at Coyote Lakes here in AZ, #13 100 yards on a good day. A guy I was playing with to be funny hit a chipper club and bounced it in. After 4!or five bounces. Was absolutely hilarious . To this day the ugliest great shot I have ever seen, if that makes sense.

I would say it would be bitter sweet to hit a topped shot or a shank and hole out, I would take it, just would take some of the glory away from it. Like was said above lucky to be lucky than good sometimes.

I have had one ace in my life. 142 yard #12 at Los Caballeros In Wickenburg AZ. 9 iron about 10 feet passed the pin and spun it back it. The only down fall is I was using a Pro V ball with a Prudential logo, so now I have the ball on display with the annoying logo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If I aced 17 and the entire rest of the round was complete garbage, I would be pretty disappointed.

My buddy made his ace in a scramble and we all went crazy. My cousin in the other cart sprinted the last 60 or so yards to the green to see if it had actually gone in.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Since I play solo on a par 3 course a lot I am going with the ace with no witnesses. You don't even have anyone to high five after you do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah getting a hole in one by yourself it's the worst no question. It really doesn't count because nobody will believe you