Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

adding weight to a Ping Anser -properly?

perseveringgolfer

Loving my old Ping Anser, but it sometimes feels a bit light especially in windy conditions, plus theres more wind coming into winter!

I'd like to add weight to it but not ruin its clean lines and looks. Never done this before, any advice?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Not to threadjack, but man oh man, the lighter the putter is, the better for me honestly.  I have a Ping B60 that I've putted with for about 15 years that is pretty light.  I was small talking about putters with the pro yesterday in the pro shop, and he pulls out a newer model B60 and I thought my arms were gonna fall off it was so much heavier than mine.  I took a couple of strokes with that thing and said, "whoa, that's heavy," and handed it back to him.  I've tried putting with heavier putters from time to time, and it just doesn't fit my stroke at all.

So I stuck a very light TaylorMade Spider putter in my bag last week and that feels pretty comfortable to me.

Again, sorry to threadjack, but the mention of adding weight to a putter just got me thinking all about the above.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Lead tape on the bottom (can't see when putting), or tungsten power down the shaft.  I believe that Ping and others can add tungsten plugs, but that cost can be pretty high for an Ping anser.  i would buy another putter before I do that.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

Lead tape on the bottom (can see when putting), or tungsten power down the shaft.  I believe that Ping and others can add tungsten plugs, but that cost can be pretty high for an Ping anser.  i would buy another putter before I do that.

One of the issues with an early Anser with adding weight down the shaft is a lot of those putters the shaft is swedged in. In other words when it was made the shaft was heated and a steel ball was drove down the shaft to expand it and lock it in. They are a real PITA to reshaft too. I could do a thread on that by itself. IMHO the only solution is to add lead tape on the sole. Now if it has a slot it will deaden the sound and lessen the rebound off the face in other words it will deaden the face some.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks All. Think I'll persevere with it rather than upset a good putter.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 3 weeks later...

Archived