What in your opinion is the best value distance device available?  I don't want a fancy range-finder with slope, etc., just a simple, reliable, and low cost watch size device that gives yardage to the center of the green. Some have suggested I use my Smartphone and app's, but I don't want to mess with the phone.

• Like 1

Go to mggolf .com and look at their Lasers. They have 2, $95 & $120. Both are incredible.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

if you want a watch size check out golfbuddy.... it's pretty accurate, small and will give you front/middle/back and is really affordable.

can find a good deal on one on ebay.

• Like 3

I love my Garmin Approach S20.  Was a gift from the wife unit, but I think it's about $125.

Distance to front, middle and back of the green.  You can adjust the pin location to a number of locations on the green.  It can collect shot distance and club selection data, and it will compile your score and stats that you can look at after your round is done on your smartphone.

It also has bluetooth synch to my iPhone, so I get notifications on it for emails, and text messages, etc.  I didn't think I'd need or want a feature like this, but man, let me tell you, once you start seeing texts and emails show up on your watch, you'll wonder how you did without it.  I can be having lunch with a colleague, and feel my phone vibrate for notification, and all I do now is glance at the Garmin to see who sent me what.  Most of the time that's all I need to know and can ignore pretty much everything until my lunch or meeting is over.

I've had a laser rangefinder as well, and I've used my phone as a GPS, but felt that the GPS on the phone simply abused my battery way too much, and the laser I have to fumble with to pull out on every shot I need it for.  The Garmin is always on, and always there, and a quick glance gives me the number I need to pull a club.  I've yet to find that the Garmin is wrong.  Extremely accurate.  I just wish my swing was as accurate as the Garmin.

• Like 2

This is a good one that you can just clip on your golf bag or even leave in the cart:

https://m.golfgalaxy.com/p/new-callaway-eclipse-golf-gps-17cwyuclpsglfgpsxgps/17cwyuclpsglfgpsxgps?uniqueID=3368321&color=Black

This is a great watch, it is what I used for 2 years before I got my rangefinder (ignore that review, the guy is just being petty)

https://m.golfgalaxy.com/p/bushnell-ion-2-golf-gps-watch-18busun2gpswtchxxgps/18busun2gpswtchxxgps?uniqueID=4046221&color=Silver

All of those aside. If you are looking at a GPS watch and most run about 150. Take a good look at ShotScope. It has the GPS watch function and gives you great data for only 75 more. Just sayin.

• Like 2

if you want a watch size check out golfbuddy.... it's pretty accurate, small and will give you front/middle/back and is really affordable.

can find a good deal on one on ebay.

I've been pretty happy with my Golf Buddy; had it for about 8 years and even the battery is still decent.  I like my laser for some holes, but I can get by with just the GPS just fine.  

• Like 4

I've been pretty happy with my Golf Buddy; had it for about 8 years and even the battery is still decent. I like my laser for some holes, but I can get by with just the GPS just fine.

Absolutely...the one that talks is good.

Wedgie has one and it's quick and accurate

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm a dual use guy.... GPS and LRF.

I'm currently using a Garmin G10. It's a GPS unit about the size of a matchbook. I wanted a less expensive GPS after my Skycaddy crapped out. F-M-B is really all this unit does and that I care for.

Just last week I purchased a Precision Pro NX7. The one with slope and vib. Haven't had a chance to try it but I have high expectations it will beat the previous el cheapo models I've owned.

I only paid $188 through Amazon.

• Like 3

I'm a dual use guy.... GPS and LRF.

I'm currently using a Garmin G10. It's a GPS unit about the size of a matchbook. I wanted a less expensive GPS after my Skycaddy crapped out. F-M-B is really all this unit does and that I care for.

Just last week I purchased a Precision Pro NX7. The one with slope and vib. Haven't had a chance to try it but I have high expectations it will beat the previous el cheapo models I've owned.

I only paid $188 through Amazon.

That's an incredible price for that unit.

Lifetime battery and it is razor sharp.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

What in your opinion is the best value distance device available? I don't want a fancy range-finder with slope, etc., just a simple, reliable, and low cost watch size device that gives yardage to the center of the green. Some have suggested I use my Smartphone and app's, but I don't want to mess with the phone.

I know you said you don't want to use you phone but that's the cheapest way to go - cheap as in free. Apps like iGolf have the advantage of not only showing you the distance to F-C-B, but also the distance to bunkers, water, etc by simply moving the cursor.

I use the iGolf app along side the Precision Pro NX-7. 90% of the time there's negligible difference on the slope reading - on our course a couple of yards at most. However I played a course today where one of the hole was a 10 yd difference.

Here's a screen shot from iGolf - easy to use and you don't need a 10 year old to set it up or explain it to you. Note the 'bullseye' is basically the cursor. So I can move it to identify distance to the bunker for a lay-up shot. Invaluable for course management. IMG_4264.JPG

• Like 3

I know you said you don't want to use you phone but that's the cheapest way to go - cheap as in free. Apps like iGolf have the advantage of not only showing you the distance to F-C-B, but also the distance to bunkers, water, etc by simply moving the cursor.

I use the iGolf app along side the Precision Pro NX-7. 90% of the time there's negligible difference on the slope reading - on our course a couple of yards at most. However I played a course today where one of the hole was a 10 yd difference.

Here's a screen shot from iGolf - easy to use and you don't need a 10 year old to set it up or explain it to you. Note the 'bullseye' is basically the cursor. So I can move it to identify distance to the bunker for a lay-up shot. Invaluable for course management. attachicon.gif IMG_4264.JPG

Well, I have a simple, cheap, but reliable Moto-E Smart phone and its screen is near useless in bright light.  Also, I doubt the battery would make it 4+ hours. Perhaps if I upgrade phones at some point this would be a option. So far the small watch sized Golf Buddy or a watch that I can hang on my bag/cart looks like good candidates.

• Like 1

Stroker mentioned it already but the golf buddy voice is great. Under $90 new in box. Clips on your hat or belt. Push a button and it tells you distance to front middle back, you can measure distance of shots, no annual fees and I haven't played a course that isn't already loaded. Highly recommend this unit.

• Like 3

Well, I have a simple, cheap, but reliable Moto-E Smart phone and its screen is near useless in bright light. Also, I doubt the battery would make it 4+ hours. Perhaps if I upgrade phones at some point this would be a option. So far the small watch sized Golf Buddy or a watch that I can hang on my bag/cart looks like good candidates.

Yeah I can see battery being an issue for you. Newer phones are more battery efficient.

Here's a screenshot for the $120 Laser with jolt, slope & digital readout....file-809E3A3E-8B08-4482-92B7-5633FAF9FFB8-4285-0000042D7A10F766.png

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

• Like 3

Here's a screenshot for the $120 Laser with jolt, slope & digital readout....attachicon.gif file-809E3A3E-8B08-4482-92B7-5633FAF9FFB8-4285-0000042D7A10F766.png

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

This model does look like a best value among its peers but I don't want something that I have to look through and find the flag/target.  All I really want is the yardage so I don't have to look for fairway markers and pace off distance. A couple of courses I've played recently have these on-board systems in the golf cart and I found them pretty handy.  Appreciate the specific recommendation though, thanks!

• Like 1

I decided on the Golf Buddy Voice 2.  I tried it out for the first time a couple weeks ago and it works well.  Still trying to decide whether I want to change to the female announcer voice. 🤔  Thanks for all the input and recommendations.

• Like 1

use the female voice, sounds better and you're more likely to listen especially if she says "249yds to the middle of the green, go for it big boy" 😏😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Update on Golf Buddy Voice 2.  It was still working like a charm until a week ago when it was no longer attached to my belt after the round.  I only noticed it missing after we got home.  I called the course and bar hoping it was turned in - no luck.  So, I now have another but this time it has a small length of nylon cord, looped through the belt clip, and a small spring clip that goes on my shorts/pants belt loop.  

So just a word of caution to those getting one.  They can and do fall off if clipped to your belt 🤬.

• Like 2

Another vote for mggolf.com

Value and quality can't be beat. You think you don't want a fancy laser with slope but for $100 you might consider it.

Hat tip to @fozcycle for telling me about them.

• Like 2