TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Value Distance Device

What in your opinion is the best value distance device available?  I don't want a fancy range-finder with slope, etc., just a simple, reliable, and low cost watch size device that gives yardage to the center of the green. Some have suggested I use my Smartphone and app's, but I don't want to mess with the phone.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Go to mggolf .com and look at their Lasers. They have 2, $95 & $120. Both are incredible.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

if you want a watch size check out golfbuddy.... it's pretty accurate, small and will give you front/middle/back and is really affordable.

can find a good deal on one on ebay.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I love my Garmin Approach S20.  Was a gift from the wife unit, but I think it's about $125.

Distance to front, middle and back of the green.  You can adjust the pin location to a number of locations on the green.  It can collect shot distance and club selection data, and it will compile your score and stats that you can look at after your round is done on your smartphone.

It also has bluetooth synch to my iPhone, so I get notifications on it for emails, and text messages, etc.  I didn't think I'd need or want a feature like this, but man, let me tell you, once you start seeing texts and emails show up on your watch, you'll wonder how you did without it.  I can be having lunch with a colleague, and feel my phone vibrate for notification, and all I do now is glance at the Garmin to see who sent me what.  Most of the time that's all I need to know and can ignore pretty much everything until my lunch or meeting is over.

I've had a laser rangefinder as well, and I've used my phone as a GPS, but felt that the GPS on the phone simply abused my battery way too much, and the laser I have to fumble with to pull out on every shot I need it for.  The Garmin is always on, and always there, and a quick glance gives me the number I need to pull a club.  I've yet to find that the Garmin is wrong.  Extremely accurate.  I just wish my swing was as accurate as the Garmin.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

This is a good one that you can just clip on your golf bag or even leave in the cart:

https://m.golfgalaxy.com/p/new-callaway-eclipse-golf-gps-17cwyuclpsglfgpsxgps/17cwyuclpsglfgpsxgps?uniqueID=3368321&color=Black

This is a great watch, it is what I used for 2 years before I got my rangefinder (ignore that review, the guy is just being petty)

https://m.golfgalaxy.com/p/bushnell-ion-2-golf-gps-watch-18busun2gpswtchxxgps/18busun2gpswtchxxgps?uniqueID=4046221&color=Silver

All of those aside. If you are looking at a GPS watch and most run about 150. Take a good look at ShotScope. It has the GPS watch function and gives you great data for only 75 more. Just sayin.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

if you want a watch size check out golfbuddy.... it's pretty accurate, small and will give you front/middle/back and is really affordable.

can find a good deal on one on ebay.

I've been pretty happy with my Golf Buddy; had it for about 8 years and even the battery is still decent.  I like my laser for some holes, but I can get by with just the GPS just fine.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been pretty happy with my Golf Buddy; had it for about 8 years and even the battery is still decent. I like my laser for some holes, but I can get by with just the GPS just fine.

Absolutely...the one that talks is good.

Wedgie has one and it's quick and accurate

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

My vote has to be Precision Pro NX7 or Nexus rangefinders 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I'm a dual use guy.... GPS and LRF.

I'm currently using a Garmin G10. It's a GPS unit about the size of a matchbook. I wanted a less expensive GPS after my Skycaddy crapped out. F-M-B is really all this unit does and that I care for.

Just last week I purchased a Precision Pro NX7. The one with slope and vib. Haven't had a chance to try it but I have high expectations it will beat the previous el cheapo models I've owned.

I only paid $188 through Amazon.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm currently using a Garmin G10. It's a GPS unit about the size of a matchbook. I wanted a less expensive GPS after my Skycaddy crapped out. F-M-B is really all this unit does and that I care for.

Just last week I purchased a Precision Pro NX7. The one with slope and vib. Haven't had a chance to try it but I have high expectations it will beat the previous el cheapo models I've owned.

That's an incredible price for that unit.

Lifetime battery and it is razor sharp.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

What in your opinion is the best value distance device available? I don't want a fancy range-finder with slope, etc., just a simple, reliable, and low cost watch size device that gives yardage to the center of the green. Some have suggested I use my Smartphone and app's, but I don't want to mess with the phone.

I know you said you don't want to use you phone but that's the cheapest way to go - cheap as in free. Apps like iGolf have the advantage of not only showing you the distance to F-C-B, but also the distance to bunkers, water, etc by simply moving the cursor.

I use the iGolf app along side the Precision Pro NX-7. 90% of the time there's negligible difference on the slope reading - on our course a couple of yards at most. However I played a course today where one of the hole was a 10 yd difference.

Here's a screen shot from iGolf - easy to use and you don't need a 10 year old to set it up or explain it to you. Note the 'bullseye' is basically the cursor. So I can move it to identify distance to the bunker for a lay-up shot. Invaluable for course management. IMG_4264.JPG

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I know you said you don't want to use you phone but that's the cheapest way to go - cheap as in free. Apps like iGolf have the advantage of not only showing you the distance to F-C-B, but also the distance to bunkers, water, etc by simply moving the cursor.

I use the iGolf app along side the Precision Pro NX-7. 90% of the time there's negligible difference on the slope reading - on our course a couple of yards at most. However I played a course today where one of the hole was a 10 yd difference.

Here's a screen shot from iGolf - easy to use and you don't need a 10 year old to set it up or explain it to you. Note the 'bullseye' is basically the cursor. So I can move it to identify distance to the bunker for a lay-up shot. Invaluable for course management. attachicon.gif IMG_4264.JPG

Well, I have a simple, cheap, but reliable Moto-E Smart phone and its screen is near useless in bright light.  Also, I doubt the battery would make it 4+ hours. Perhaps if I upgrade phones at some point this would be a option. So far the small watch sized Golf Buddy or a watch that I can hang on my bag/cart looks like good candidates.

Stroker mentioned it already but the golf buddy voice is great. Under $90 new in box. Clips on your hat or belt. Push a button and it tells you distance to front middle back, you can measure distance of shots, no annual fees and I haven't played a course that isn't already loaded. Highly recommend this unit.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Well, I have a simple, cheap, but reliable Moto-E Smart phone and its screen is near useless in bright light. Also, I doubt the battery would make it 4+ hours. Perhaps if I upgrade phones at some point this would be a option. So far the small watch sized Golf Buddy or a watch that I can hang on my bag/cart looks like good candidates.

Yeah I can see battery being an issue for you. Newer phones are more battery efficient.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Here's a screenshot for the $120 Laser with jolt, slope & digital readout....file-809E3A3E-8B08-4482-92B7-5633FAF9FFB8-4285-0000042D7A10F766.png

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Here's a screenshot for the $120 Laser with jolt, slope & digital readout....attachicon.gif file-809E3A3E-8B08-4482-92B7-5633FAF9FFB8-4285-0000042D7A10F766.png

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

This model does look like a best value among its peers but I don't want something that I have to look through and find the flag/target.  All I really want is the yardage so I don't have to look for fairway markers and pace off distance. A couple of courses I've played recently have these on-board systems in the golf cart and I found them pretty handy.  Appreciate the specific recommendation though, thanks!

• 1 month later...

I decided on the Golf Buddy Voice 2.  I tried it out for the first time a couple weeks ago and it works well.  Still trying to decide whether I want to change to the female announcer voice. 🤔  Thanks for all the input and recommendations.

use the female voice, sounds better and you're more likely to listen especially if she says "249yds to the middle of the green, go for it big boy" 😏😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 4 months later...

Update on Golf Buddy Voice 2.  It was still working like a charm until a week ago when it was no longer attached to my belt after the round.  I only noticed it missing after we got home.  I called the course and bar hoping it was turned in - no luck.  So, I now have another but this time it has a small length of nylon cord, looped through the belt clip, and a small spring clip that goes on my shorts/pants belt loop.  

So just a word of caution to those getting one.  They can and do fall off if clipped to your belt 🤬.

Another vote for mggolf.com

Value and quality can't be beat. You think you don't want a fancy laser with slope but for $100 you might consider it.

Hat tip to @fozcycle for telling me about them.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

On 9/19/2018 at 6:13 PM, Wedgie said:

Stroker mentioned it already but the golf buddy voice is great. Under $90 new in box. Clips on your hat or belt. Push a button and it tells you distance to front middle back, you can measure distance of shots, no annual fees and I haven't played a course that isn't already loaded. Highly recommend this unit.

I actually clip mine to the velcro strap on my golf glove. I don't always wear a hat or belt, and usually don't take my glove off during a round. Can't even feel it, but it's right there. Not a fan of wearing a watch while playing, but my golfbuddy works essentially the same.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I see that was last September....Great deal as they are much more today. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Another vote for mggolf.com
Value and quality can't be beat. You think you don't want a fancy laser with slope but for $100 you might consider it.
Hat tip to [mention=156]fozcycle[/mention] for telling me about them.

And when the display went haywire, they offered to replace it. I paid an extra $25 and got the upgrade for the model with slope and side display. Awesome customer service from MG Golf.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you with the MG 600s.  When using pin seeking mode how consistent is the result when you shoot the flags multiple times from the same spot?   I have played 2 rounds with mine and the yardage is more inconsistent than I would like.    The range can be up to about 5 yards but typically 3 or under.  About 50% of the time it will get the same number two times in a row.   It would be nice if the difference was just one yard with back to back readings but it is often more.  In no way am I a player good enough to worry about 3 to 5 yards but it still bothers me.  Could I have received a bad unit?  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

• 4 weeks later...
For those of you with the MG 600s.  When using pin seeking mode how consistent is the result when you shoot the flags multiple times from the same spot?   I have played 2 rounds with mine and the yardage is more inconsistent than I would like.    The range can be up to about 5 yards but typically 3 or under.  About 50% of the time it will get the same number two times in a row.   It would be nice if the difference was just one yard with back to back readings but it is often more.  In no way am I a player good enough to worry about 3 to 5 yards but it still bothers me.  Could I have received a bad unit?  

I think that might be a common issue with any range finder. I have Pinned ‘The Pearl’ range finder. I typically shoot it three times and take the number that was given to me twice. Sometimes it will give you one that is a bit off from the two consistent ones.

Perhaps that is just par for the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, ChasingScratch said:

I think that might be a common issue with any range finder. I have Pinned ‘The Pearl’ range finder. I typically shoot it three times and take the number that was given to me twice. Sometimes it will give you one that is a bit off from the two consistent ones.

Perhaps that is just par for the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks for the reply.  I ended up sending the MG rangfinder back and getting a Percision NX7 Slope.  I have not had time to play golf using the new one but hope it is better.  

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Thanks for the reply.  I ended up sending the MG rangfinder back and getting a Percision NX7 Slope.  I have not had time to play golf using the new one but hope it is better.  

I've used the Precision Pro quite a bit and love it. Great product and superior customer service.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

9 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I've used the Precision Pro quite a bit and love it. Great product and superior customer service.

They do have great customer service.  I purchased my device just a few days before they ran the $40 off special over the weekend.  I inquired if they would give me the sale price and the refund was almost instantly processed.  Nice to deal with a company like that.  

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

3 hours ago, mooremikea said:

They do have great customer service.  I purchased my device just a few days before they ran the $40 off special over the weekend.  I inquired if they would give me the sale price and the refund was almost instantly processed.  Nice to deal with a company like that.  

Thanks for the kind words, we are always happy to do stuff like that. We all have been on that end and it's always a bummer to miss a sale by a day or 2 so we are happy to honor that sale price.

We are offering up to $40 off our NX7 series of rangefinders through Fathers Day. 

Precision Pro Golf

Use Discount Code MYGOLFSPY20 for $20 OFF.

#swingwithconfidence #hitmoregreens

www.precisionprogolf.com

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, tony@CIC said:

Yeah I can see battery being an issue for you. Newer phones are more battery efficient.

Buy a power bank.  Walmart has a couple of options for less than $10 with enough capacity to fully charge most phones.  Its not the most convenient option if you pocket carry your phone though.  If you can make it through nine holes on a full charge, the power bank should get you through the second nine.