TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

hckymeyer

I won't be buying iron covers. And unless they botched the DBM finish, the wear should be minimal if you are cleaning your clubs. For reference, I have been banging away at my Cobra MB/CB's with the same DBM finish since March and they look near identical to when I first got them

On the Hogan site they say that this finish is actually more durable than a chrome finish, so I'm not worried about them losing their luster. DBM is not just a coating, so it will not wear off like a spray on finish would.

attachicon.gif IMG_6459.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I actually was not even considering the finish, although those are good notes.

PMookie posted the care guide and being the nerd I am, I read the whole thing. They mention the irons being very soft compared to others and being more prone to dings and dents due to the material they use, even to go so far as to tell you to keep extra spacing between them in your bag. That's what I was referring to as they seem pretty concerned about it, at the very least that notice would probably prompt me to buy covers for them, but maybe this is a normal thing and they are exaggerating to help prevent returns in case of dings and dents?

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good note, but I can't put covers on irons... Can't do it.

A concern with covers is keeping moisture trapped, causing rust. That's not why I don't use them....

The claims that Hogan make are what we're testing anyway, so it will be good to see if “bag chatter” is greater with these than other irons.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Good note, but I can't put covers on irons... Can't do it.

A concern with covers is keeping moisture trapped, causing rust. That's not why I don't use them....

The claims that Hogan make are what we're testing anyway, so it will be good to see if “bag chatter” is greater with these than other irons.

I understand, no way I would do it either, just something to look out for. I would hate to see these beauties all dinged up just because someone likes to walk the course and doesn't like iron covers. Hopefully they aren't that soft. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Good start guys, I wish I was in this group without a doubt.

They look sweet.

Speaking of looking like butter knives, can anyone let a small slip out concerning the feel on contact?

I hit a 4 iron yesterday with my AP2's on a 188 yd par 3 that flew 190 about a foot right of the stick. The purity of the strike was one of the sweetest feelings I've ever experienced on a golf course. My partner asked if I felt it “in my loins”.

I chuckled at that concept and it occurred to me that I did.

So call it butter or what you prefer, but have any of you hit one of these as pure as the driven snow? And tell me please, was it all that?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

They look sweet.

Speaking of looking like butter knives, can anyone let a small slip out concerning the feel on contact?

I hit a 4 iron yesterday with my AP2's on a 188 yd par 3 that flew 190 about a foot right of the stick. The purity of the strike was one of the sweetest feelings I've ever experienced on a golf course. My partner asked if I felt it “in my loins”.

So call it butter or what you prefer, but have any of you hit one of these as pure as the driven snow? And tell me please, was it all that?

I have hit a few of those so far and mentioned my expectations. Its definitely a nice feeling and I will leave it at that for now until Stage 2  :P

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

They look sweet.

As I can imagine all forged blades have “that feel” on pured shots, these do too.

Looking forward to seeing if these “feel like a mizuno”. I've got to echo the sentiment on the sole width of the long irons, I'm still scratching my head

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Good start fellas! These look like clubs I could only dream of hitting well.

Any of you guys buying iron covers for these things given the care instructions they sent? I;m curious about how bad the wear really is with these things.

I have iron covers on mine already, but I do on every set I own because I hate bag clatter.

I've only managed a couple of range sessions, some garden practice and a quick 9 so far, but not even the faintest mark where some black finishes you'd see the fact my range sessions last into hundreds of balls already...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Looking forward to seeing if these “feel like a mizuno”. I've got to echo the sentiment on the sole width of the long irons, I'm still scratching my head

Definitely one of the parts I'm looking forward to as well! 

Yea I am still befuddled by why the decided to do that reverse sole width progression 

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Definitely one of the parts I'm looking forward to as well!

Yea I am still befuddled by why the decided to do that reverse sole width progression

IMG_6328.JPG

Is there REALLY that much difference between the MP-18 SC and the Ft. Worth Black? Color influences how we see it, as well as the v-sole.

There really isn't that much of a difference, in a pic, on the range, on the course.

Maybe the marketing that a wider sole on a long iron is needed really is just marketing. Plus, it influences the weighting and CG location. Hogan has spread some of this weight across the head, not the sole....

As I've mentioned, almost all clubs feel great when they are struck well... These are no different. I have Mizunos and they don't feel great on ALL shots.......

Spent a half an hour chipping with the PW last night......... Hmmm.

attachicon.gif IMG_6328.JPG

Is there REALLY that much difference between the MP-18 SC and the Ft. Worth Black? Color influences how we see it, as well as the v-sole.

There really isn't that much of a difference, in a pic, on the range, on the course.

Maybe the marketing that a wider sole on a long iron is needed really is just marketing. Plus, it influences the weighting and CG location. Hogan has spread some of this weight across the head, not the sole....

Yea I would say it really is that much different. Even in your picture its consistently smaller throughout the length of the blade. I have put them up against Mizuno MP-5's, Titleist MB's, CB's, AP2s, Cobra MB's, CB's and Forged Tec Blacks and it is consistently smaller than all of them in the long irons. And not just by the eye test. At the widest point in your picture, it measures out 20% smaller than the MP-18

Well the sole is part of the head. And the weight they moved around in the long irons is more indicative of trying to lower ball flight rather than rising it. If they moved more weight low in the head to raise the launch it would often result in the sole being slight wider than what you started with

Great stage 1's guys. Those are some pretty clubs.

Mookie, those pics in the skyscraper made me want to kiss the ground, just looking at them on my phone.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Stage 1 up and ready for action!!!

Newb question, but where can we find it? Also, what does "stage 2 reserved" mean - just that it has been sent into MGS for review?

I keep checking this thread daily, love the start so far and can't get enough content on these bad boys!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Newb question, but where can we find it? Also, what does "stage 2 reserved" mean - just that it has been sent into MGS for review?

I keep checking this thread daily, love the start so far and can't get enough content on these bad boys!

First page.

Stage 2 reserved means that it will appear later. They post stage 2 reserved as a placeholder, so all of the reviews can be on the first page.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

What GB13 said.

Stage 2 is basically our review of them after getting to put them to work for awhile and not just first impressions or a couple of range sessions.

Comment or shoot me a message if you have any questions on the Ft. Worth Blacks! 

Love the high-quality pictures this group of testers is taking. Good pictures take any review to the next level. Good work so far, gents

We learned from the best!

Great Stage 1s guys great looking irons right there and I look forward to the stage 2s especially the competition between these and the MP18

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Terrific start gentlemen.......it sure sounds like you are very enthusiastic about the Hogan's. I must admit, they are very sexy.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

First page.

Stage 2 reserved means that it will appear later. They post stage 2 reserved as a placeholder, so all of the reviews can be on the first page.

Got it, thanks guys! I had been skipping right to the last page looking for new posts rather than down page 1. I am most curious to see how these rate on forgiveness and wear&tear. But I have a fitting next month for new irons and these are sure to be in the mix, especially at such a competitive price point. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Yea I would say it really is that much different. Even in your picture its consistently smaller throughout the length of the blade. I have put them up against Mizuno MP-5's, Titleist MB's, CB's, AP2s, Cobra MB's, CB's and Forged Tec Blacks and it is consistently smaller than all of them in the long irons. And not just by the eye test. At the widest point in your picture, it measures out 20% smaller than the MP-18

Well the sole is part of the head. And the weight they moved around in the long irons is more indicative of trying to lower ball flight rather than rising it. If they moved more weight low in the head to raise the launch it would often result in the sole being slight wider than what you started with

Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pr

Great work so far boys... These have been a pleasure to read and get to know you all a bit better. Really excited for performance against your gamers and how the black finish holds up as that is always something that steers me away.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Great work so far boys... These have been a pleasure to read and get to know you all a bit better. Really excited for performance against your gamers and how the black finish holds up as that is always something that steers me away.

Agree, the black finish is beautiful.  Hopefully it holds up as well as Hogan claims.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I was ready to pull the trigger on these irons then this testing popped up and I hoped I would win, now I'm waiting to hear your reviews! Leave no stone unturned as I'm watching intently and will possibly get myself a Christmas present! Nice start

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Archived