TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

hckymeyer

1 hour ago, DPattGolf said:

Ditto! Haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked thanks to a busier schedule and weather but have gotten tons of range work with these. Hopefully I can squeeze a couple of more range and playing sessions in before Stage 2 is posted

You've been too busy getting re-tweeted / re-posted by Ben Hogan's social media team, right? 😉

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jon Brittan said:

You've been too busy getting re-tweeted / re-posted by Ben Hogan's social media team, right? 😉

Haha just once!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

3 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

Ditto! Haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked thanks to a busier schedule and weather but have gotten tons of range work with these. Hopefully I can squeeze a couple of more range and playing sessions in before Stage 2 is posted

I'm going to pull the trigger on irons soon and hoping to demo some Ft Worths (assuming they become available sometime soon - I'm getting itchy!) to keep them in the mix against Cobras (wavering between Forged Tec, Forged Tour or a blended set including CBs which would be a more forgiving version of what you put together). Since you game both Forged Tec and the king pro CB, where would you rank the Hogan's forgiveness & feel compared to those two? 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

42 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I'm going to pull the trigger on irons soon and hoping to demo some Ft Worths (assuming they become available sometime soon - I'm getting itchy!) to keep them in the mix against Cobras (wavering between Forged Tec, Forged Tour or a blended set including CBs which would be a more forgiving version of what you put together). Since you game both Forged Tec and the king pro CB, where would you rank the Hogan's forgiveness & feel compared to those two? 

I'm gonna save the forgiveness comparison for Stage 2. Feel though is great and very similar to my Cobra CB's and MB's. Forged Tec is just a different kind of club so the feel just isn't similar to the others even though it is by no means a bad one.  

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

4 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

I'm gonna save the forgiveness comparison for Stage 2. Feel though is great and very similar to my Cobra CB's and MB's. Forged Tec is just a different kind of club so the feel just isn't similar to the others even though it is by no means a bad one.  

Thanks. Also just checked the Hogan site and you can now order demos again (at least for the KBS Tour V Stiff & X) if anyone is interested. Not sure how long that will last though...

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

So, I went out at the weekend to start to finalise my thoughts in advance of my stage 2 and I took my father along with me for a walk and to take some on course video.

It was the first round I've played with these irons in truly soft conditions after the really dry summer we had here, which was great as it gave me a different set of conditions to experience and something more akin to ideal golf course setup.

What I can say, after this weekend is that I did learn a little more about these irons, but what I really learned most was never trust your father to be competent at videoing you with a mobile phone... The only usable video he took in the whole day was a practice swing with driver 😄

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

On 11/1/2018 at 11:13 AM, DPattGolf said:

I got my demo 5i and 8i with the Tour V 120 X-stiff yesterday, and just had my first range session. Initial thoughts are that they are as nice looking as in the pictures - maybe the nicest looking club I've seen. Minimal offset, which for me is a good thing (my misses are high and left - sometimes pull hook, sometimes big banana hook, which is why I'm looking to get rid of my Pings with a lot of offset and stiff flex).

Feel is fantastic, and despite how scary looking the 5i was (everyone's pictures were spot on, but I almost couldn't believe how thin the sole was when I saw it in person), they weren't that hard to hit, and were actually relatively forgiving. I didn't lose more than ~5 yards on thin & toe hits. However, when I caught it a little heavy, even though the v-sole helped the club come back up pretty quickly, the initial dig meant I lost a good bit more distance than the Cobra CBs which have more width in the sole and didn't seem to dig as much for me. Overall I was really impressed but it made me more convinced in buying the Cobra CBs over the Forged Tecs, rather than convinced to buy the Hogans - I will play with them more over the 2 week demo (and probably change my mind on which set to buy a few times during that 2 weeks).

12 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I got my demo 5i and 8i with the Tour V 120 X-stiff yesterday, and just had my first range session. Initial thoughts are that they are as nice looking as in the pictures - maybe the nicest looking club I've seen. Minimal offset, which for me is a good thing (my misses are high and left - sometimes pull hook, sometimes big banana hook, which is why I'm looking to get rid of my Pings with a lot of offset and stiff flex).

Feel is fantastic, and despite how scary looking the 5i was (everyone's pictures were spot on, but I almost couldn't believe how thin the sole was when I saw it in person), they weren't that hard to hit, and were actually relatively forgiving. I didn't lose more than ~5 yards on thin & toe hits. However, when I caught it a little heavy, even though the v-sole helped the club come back up pretty quickly, the initial dig meant I lost a good bit more distance than the Cobra CBs which have more width in the sole and didn't seem to dig as much for me. Overall I was really impressed but it made me more convinced in buying the Cobra CBs over the Forged Tecs, rather than convinced to buy the Hogans - I will play with them more over the 2 week demo (and probably change my mind on which set to buy a few times during that 2 weeks).

This.  I was surprised myself when I first looked at them in person.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

My Stage 2 is up!!!!!

Some issues with the formatting, so I apologize for the “underline” you see most of the way through. I can’t get it to go back to original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Great and honest review there, PMookie.  I think you did a great job of talking about the distance dropoffs you saw.  

One thing I might of missed, but did you comment on the sole widths and how they seemed to be completely opposite of most other brands?  

Do you feel that if they had progressive sole where it was narrow in the PW and got progressively wider that you would have found better gapping at the top of the set?

Great and honest review there, PMookie.  I think you did a great job of talking about the distance dropoffs you saw.  
One thing I might of missed, but did you comment on the sole widths and how they seemed to be completely opposite of most other brands?  
Do you feel that if they had progressive sole where it was narrow in the PW and got progressively wider that you would have found better gapping at the top of the set?

I didn’t mention the sole widths in Stage 2, showed comparisons in Stage 1.
I definitely think wider soles at the top would’ve helped me. The soles are SO thin that I don’t think the benefit of the V-Sole can be taken advantage of in the 4-6. It is odd to see Hogan Golf go so thin at the top. Compared to my MPs, as shown in Stage 1, there’s a big difference. Hogan could make a tweak here and really increase performance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

My Stage 2 is up!!!!!

Some issues with the formatting, so I apologize for the “underline” you see most of the way through. I can’t get it to go back to original.

Great stage 2 - very interesting and thorough data. Thanks!

Gonna bump it.

My Stage 2 is up!!! Feel free to ask any further questions!

Wow nice review was not expecting that. When you got rid of the Mizuno I thought you were gonna write these one heck of a positive review.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

They’re really good irons! Just not great for me, unfortunately.... If I had a consistent swing, these would be magical! Feel, looks, sound, all very good, but they’re very demanding.

And this brings up a point I’d like to make:
Thank you to My Golf Spy for ALLOWING us to be honest! I’ve tested clubs for another site and “honesty” was not the best policy.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, PMookie said:

My Stage 2 is up!!!!!

Great stage two!!

So realistically you need to be a player that hits the middle of the club each time to get the most out of these beautiful clubs. I guess I will just have to admire them from afar....😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Great stage two!!
So realistically you need to be a player that hits the middle of the club each time to get the most out of these beautiful clubs. I guess I will just have to admire them from afar....

Keep you eye open for the other reviews as they might have had better luck! Don’t write them off because of just one review....

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

Keep you eye open for the other reviews as they might have had better luck! Don’t write them off because of just one review....

One thing I've learned from this awesome place is to keep an open mind!! That being said my swing benefits from a little more forgiveness than these appear to provide, I think I would be so scared of thining the ball that I would talk myself into it 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:09 AM, PMookie said:

The other thing I noticed was that the claim about 4* providing more consistent gapping really didn’t present itself so clearly, In-fact, I didn’t see much difference in distance between my 4 and 5 iron with the FWB. I went to a buddy’s place and hit on his TrackMan. I hit 3 shots with each club: i210 vs FWB. The distance gaps just didn’t prove to be as perfect as advertised. Now, that’s probably more Indian than arrow, but I just didn’t see these being that much more consistent distance-wise between clubs, and within hits of the same club, I definitely had greater dispersion front-to-back. I confirmed this again at the range hitting the i210 and FWB measuring distances with my SC200. I’d hit the i210 155, 155, 157, 162, then hit the FWB 164, 148, 154, 148. Probably my biggest fault with these clubs… Front-to-back dispersion. 

Great review! I wanted to mention this in your stage 1 but thought I would see how it played out. Do you think the gapping issue you wrote about in the longer irons didn't work because of the specs you built it to? What I mean is Ben Hogan spaces their long irons out in 3/4" length between the 6 & 5 and between 5 & 4 irons. This should help add distance to make up for the longer gapping. I noticed you used 1/2" increments in yours. Just curious, thanks.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Great review! I wanted to mention this in your stage 1 but thought I would see how it played out. Do you think the gapping issue you wrote about in the longer irons didn't work because of the specs you built it to? What I mean is Ben Hogan spaces their long irons out in 3/4" length between the 6 & 5 and between 5 & 4 irons. This should help add distance to make up for the longer gapping. I noticed you used 1/2" increments in yours. Just curious, thanks.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I really don’t think 1/4” would make a difference in distance. That’s the width of the stripe to the top of the grip on a club. Had I not lengthened them at all, yes.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I really don’t think 1/4” would make a difference in distance. That’s the width of the stripe to the top of the grip on a club. Had I not lengthened them at all, yes.

First off, great, honest review. 

I do have a question on the gapping though. In your stage 2, you said you didn't hit the 4 and 5 iron the same distance. The FWB have a 4° gap from 4 to 5 iron. Most irons have loft gaps from 2 to 3ish degrees, so why did the clubs with a greater loft discrepancy have smaller gaps than the clubs with smaller loft discrepancy?  Is there hidden tech in the other clubs, i.e. thinner face in 4 iron, that the FWB doesn't have?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

First off, great, honest review. 
I do have a question on the gapping though. In your stage 2, you said you didn't hit the 4 and 5 iron the same distance. The FWB have a 4° gap from 4 to 5 iron. Most irons have loft gaps from 2 to 3ish degrees, so why did the clubs with a greater loft discrepancy have smaller gaps than the clubs with smaller loft discrepancy?  Is there hidden tech in the other clubs, i.e. thinner face in 4 iron, that the FWB doesn't have?

I would think it has mostly to do with me and my inability to hit the 4 iron well. As I said in the Stage 2, I almost always just hit the 4 off the tee after awhile as I could not hit it well out of the fairway or rough. It’s small, thin, and doesn’t offer much help in the way that a lot of other 4 irons do by having a wider sole. Smallest head, thinnest sole, smallest “cavity”, least amount of offset, all factors that I think didn’t help me and my inconsistent swing. Plus, visually, it’s intimidating!

Putting together the photographs and details for my stage two currently.
I'm avoiding reading @PMookies thoughts so as to keep my own clarity of my views on these irons. It'll be interesting to catch up on other people's thoughts afterwards though. 🙂

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Still finalising my write-up.
I know I asked if anyone had anything further they wanted covered, I'm glad no-one has asked for anything further...

Set some time aside in your diaries, people, I think I've written a novel. That said, I have a lot I want to say about these clubs...

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Okay, my Stage Two is up (it's right there, click it).

I will be honest before you've even got there, I've written a novel, but I had a lot I wanted to say about these clubs and I hope you enjoy reading it.

For those who want to know my thoughts without having to read the entire story of my time with the clubs, I've added a conclusion to each section and summarised in the conclusion at the bottom.

Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to raise any questions you come up with having read what I have to say.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

2 hours ago, Jon Brittan said:

Okay, my Stage Two is up (it's right there, click it).

I will be honest before you've even got there, I've written a novel, but I had a lot I wanted to say about these clubs and I hope you enjoy reading it.

For those who want to know my thoughts without having to read the entire story of my time with the clubs, I've added a conclusion to each section and summarised in the conclusion at the bottom.

Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to raise any questions you come up with having read what I have to say.

Very well written, appreciate the detail. Congrats on the most recent round and finding your new gamers!

I'm curious about how they worked for you in the rough. I'm currently using them off grass ranges and can see and generally agree with most everything you've written, but I haven't gotten the chance to use them out of the thick stuff and might not be able to before my demo is up, so any insight there would be much appreciated. 

Very well written, appreciate the detail. Congrats on the most recent round and finding your new gamers!
I'm curious about how they worked for you in the rough. I'm currently using them off grass ranges and can see and generally agree with most everything you've written, but I haven't gotten the chance to use them out of the thick stuff and might not be able to before my demo is up, so any insight there would be much appreciated. 

I’ll give my 2 cents: from 6 iron through PW they did very well out of the rough. I never really suffered any greater than with my MP-18 SCs, or my i210s. The 4 & 5 didn’t perform as well. To me, it’s always easier hitting from the rough as the shaft gets shorter, so what I saw with FWB wasn’t any different.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Archived