TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

hckymeyer

14 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

Very well written, appreciate the detail. Congrats on the most recent round and finding your new gamers!

I'm curious about how they worked for you in the rough. I'm currently using them off grass ranges and can see and generally agree with most everything you've written, but I haven't gotten the chance to use them out of the thick stuff and might not be able to before my demo is up, so any insight there would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.

I think the answer to the question "how are they out of the rough" lies, like everything else in my review, balanced on a very fine edge...
It really depends on how you attack the ball. In thick rough you do best with quite a steep angle of attack, the thin sole and steep angle prevent any deflection from lumps in the surface behind the ball or impact with thicker, dried grasses. At the same time, being such a thin sole they don't move grass out of the way in the same fashion as a thicker soled iron or hybrid, they will snag more easily passing through grass and you'll have to be more conscious of maintaining control over the club-face into the ball, strong wrists are the key.

Like everything else with these irons, if you can consistently get them into contact with the ball then you'll get the results you want, but they're not going to do any work to make the game easier than it is.
If you want to be able to play these clubs and you're prepared to put in the work then you'll get everything you want out of them eventually, but they really aren't a club where you can have a day where you just switch off completely and try to get through a round with no effort.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting now, having read @PMookie's review that we seem to have come to very different scores, yet with different wording have come, I think, to very similar conclusions.

As I mentioned in my "On the range" section, but to cover the whole "how do these clubs perform" section, I really do feel that these clubs are a great dividing line to separate what golf even is for a lot of people.
These are not a 75s across the board club, competent for everyone, special for no-one. These are the type of club where one person will be wondering whether they can actually justify giving them a 100, while another struggles to get much above 50 if you just shoved them into the hands of every golfer under the sun.

I get my enjoyment out of golf not so much from the playing as how I play, but when I first flitted with golf one of my friends was terrible and may as well have played his entire round with a putter for all the "flight" he could get on a ball and he enjoyed just playing around on the course.
For me, I could never be satisfied with getting a good score in a round but thinking maybe it was the clubs that did half the work for me and maybe I didn't actually play all that well. I would rather walk off a course with a worse score but knowing half of what I'd tried had come off perfectly and what I needed to do to correct the rest, than to come off with a good score where I knew I'd mishit half the shots but the irons were so forgiving they'd worked out anyway.
Conversely, my friend would love a set of SGI irons that actually got the ball in the air for him, for once.

Being relatively new to the game, having plenty of energy for it, I'm the type of person who looks at the guys on TV and thinks "I want to be that good", not the people on the range around me. These clubs work and I know that on the occasions I get it wrong then it's just going to be wrong.
By the same token, if I were consistently playing competitions rather than just against my own ability, or in a few years time where I've plateaued, I could well see myself wanting something which just gave me that little bit extra, maybe not full GI, but something more AP2 instead... 

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

I’m going to chime in about the HI irons ordered separate from the sets. The longer Fort Worth irons 4&5 are not easy to hit. I will be brutally honest and say that if they did not manufacture the HI irons, I’d have no business swinging these.

I didn’t wait to add the HI irons after trying the 21*. I hit it on a single range session and halfway through I knew this could hold its own. They’re easy to hit, they’re not obnoxious looking at address and they’re priced fairly. Trajectory is super high, I think Rick Sheils nailed it during his youtube review. The ball goes up and it goes straight. Incredible easy to hit and priced far better than the competitors.

These worked for me and my budget and still allowed me the opportunity to play a great blade without hogging diaper and formula money from the house funds

I have added a photo of a head on shot on my bag. You can see that they are clearly a wider sole than the fort worth heads.

IMG_0746.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

@Jon Brittan, wow what a review!  Someone at Hogan needs to see all of these.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

[mention=68729]Jon Brittan[/mention], wow what a review!  Someone at Hogan needs to see all of these.

I let Hogan know mine was up via Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’m going to chime in about the HI irons ordered separate from the sets. The longer Fort Worth irons 4&5 are not easy to hit. I will be brutally honest and say that if they did not manufacture the HI irons, I’d have no business swinging these.

I didn’t wait to add the HI irons after trying the 21*. I hit it on a single range session and halfway through I knew this could hold its own. They’re easy to hit, they’re not obnoxious looking at address and they’re priced fairly. Trajectory is super high, I think Rick Sheils nailed it during his youtube review. The ball goes up and it goes straight. Incredible easy to hit and priced far better than the competitors.

These worked for me and my budget and still allowed me the opportunity to play a great blade without hogging diaper and formula money from the house funds

I have added a photo of a head on shot on my bag. You can see that they are clearly a wider sole than the fort worth heads.

IMG_0746.thumb.JPG.fc9f326383afd9269739cd321a236db8.JPG

After seeing how they finished in the results on MGS today, those would have been a nice addition to this set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

9 hours ago, bens197 said:

These worked for me and my budget and still allowed me the opportunity to play a great blade without hogging diaper and formula money from the house funds emoji4.png

IMG_0746.JPG

Those look nice thanks for sharing - timely with the results of the best utility test too! I like that they are wider but not too wide. If only they came in black and you could blend the set...also seems weird they wouldn't offer down to a 18* as that would be their standard 3iron, right?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Those look nice thanks for sharing - timely with the results of the best utility test too! I like that they are wider but not too wide. If only they came in black and you could blend the set...also seems weird they wouldn't offer down to a 18* as that would be their standard 3iron, right?

Next year may bring some interesting things by way of Hogan. Steady growth has earned some more street cred. It may not be out of the question to see a black HI iron. Their model has allowed them to pace themselves and grow responsibly in a true grassroots fashion.

Now that MGS has revealed through several tests that Hogan irons are legit the demand may hopefully cause supply to respond.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

Next year may bring some interesting things by way of Hogan. Steady growth has earned some more street cred. It may not be out of the question to see a black HI iron. Their model has allowed them to pace themselves and grow responsibly in a true grassroots fashion.

Now that MGS has revealed through several tests that Hogan irons are legit the demand may hopefully cause supply to respond.

Indeed.
I think I'd likely take a Black Hi 18* in a heartbeat... Fingers crossed it comes

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Jon Brittan, that was a well written and excellently compiled review. Obviously these are extremely well made as well as being beautiful and will reward a great ball striker.

Thank you for all the hard work 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Okay, my Stage Two is up (it's right there, click it).
I will be honest before you've even got there, I've written a novel, but I had a lot I wanted to say about these clubs and I hope you enjoy reading it.
For those who want to know my thoughts without having to read the entire story of my time with the clubs, I've added a conclusion to each section and summarised in the conclusion at the bottom.
Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to raise any questions you come up with having read what I have to say.

That was an amazing review!

And those irons are dead sexy!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 11/17/2018 at 4:48 AM, TBT said:

That was an amazing review!

And those irons are dead sexy!

Thank you.

They really are. Given I'd already bought a new G400 driver earlier this year, it's now just a case of having to source black everything to fit around them 😉

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

On 11/16/2018 at 8:07 PM, Nunfa0 said:

Jon Brittan, that was a well written and excellently compiled review. Obviously these are extremely well made as well as being beautiful and will reward a great ball striker.

Thank you for all the hard work 😁😎

Thank you.
It was good fun and I'm glad I did it, I honestly wouldn't have got around to trying these clubs outside this review opportunity and now it's going to take a lot to knock them out of the bag...

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:52 AM, Jon Brittan said:

Indeed.
I think I'd likely take a Black Hi 18* in a heartbeat... Fingers crossed it comes

Now if they would just make a black hi and bend it around 180* for us lefties.  Dreams will be dreams.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Ben Hogan Golf posted a cryptic message again today on Facebook. It only said 11.23.18 on a black/grayish background. This is the same type message they posted when they introduced the Ft. Worth White irons. I assume it means they are introducing more black irons, probably equalizers or a black shaft option.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:52 AM, Jon Brittan said:

Indeed.

I ended up ordering the Cobra King Forged set in 5-GW (all CB) with a Forged Tec 4i, and I'm going to also get either a King utility 2-3 or a 3i in Forged Tec in order to get the hook machine hybrid out of my bag. Between the wider soles, more shaft options, and the ability to blend the set with similar looking clubs, the Cobras won out barely. I did really enjoy my Hogan demo experience though (feel wise I think they were ahead of the Cobras, although it was very close). Hopefully they keep gaining traction and are able to expand their offerings in the future. Those black Equalizer wedges sure are tempting...

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Still think these things are lovely.
Had my first "traditional" driving range session for a while on Wednesday and was just nailing targets with these.

I stand by my thoughts in my stage 2, if you can consistently nail these out of the center of the face you are not losing anything compared to any other iron on the market, they feel beautiful and if I were buying irons at this moment in time, their price structure has to be enough to get anyone thinking about it.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

1 hour ago, poprocksncoke said:

Stage 2 has been posted, sorry for the delay November has been an terrible month.  Let me know if anyone has any question or comments.  

Thanks!

Good going. Sounds like we had similar experiences too

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Stage 2 has been posted, sorry for the delay November has been an terrible month.  Let me know if anyone has any question or comments.  

Thanks!
Nice read, sound like great clubs. I'm thinking hard about them.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

On 12/7/2018 at 8:57 PM, Brewmaster said:

Nice read, sound like great clubs. I'm thinking hard about them.

I think they're fantastic.

I do think the one real drawback to them is the factory direct model meaning you can't get fitted for them, which is a shame and probably the one thing that would sway my decision were I playing competition regularly and looking for my "tournament" clubs.
The same factory direct model does, however, mean these work out at about half the price you would pay for a similar iron of a similar quality from one of the big name brands, though.

As I mentioned in my review, I also think these are a "mind-set" iron. They do little to hide mis-strikes.
I recently bought myself a Tour Striker Pro 7-iron for practice use. If you've not seen it, it's a 7-iron with a strike area the same size as a golf ball and all of the rest of the face rounded away, so you have to have near perfect shaft-lean and perfect face-contact accuracy. It's an all-or-nothing practice club.
I see the Ft. Worth Black as similar in clubs and it's why I've always played player's irons, it forces you to do everything right at a cost of when you don't, it's noticeable.

If you want to aim for perfection and be rewarded for it when you get there, they're great.
If you want a club that is going to give you plenty of performance, a good look, but also iron out the very slight wrinkles in your game because you're playing competition more often than you're practicing, it might be worth looking elsewhere.
As a purist club though? 😄

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

I apologize for being MIA lately but after a super busy past month and half my Stage 2 is finally up! Don't hesitate with any questions or comments!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Good honest review mate, if they don't work there's no point in softening the review. Well done.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

2 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

I apologize for being MIA lately but after a super busy past month and half my Stage 2 is finally up! Don't hesitate with any questions or comments!

Pretty damning when a + handicap says they aren't forgiving enough. Guess iron tech is worth something after all, even if it is just the simple perimeter weighting.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Dpattgolf I agree with the longer iron forgiveness. For that reason I put the HI irons in play and it’s served me well. I was seriously surprised / disappointed however to see a 55/100 score. I would hope just showing up in a box would earn them at least a C+

I’m curious just based on your critical score. Did you already love your Cobras that much that it would take nothing short of the holy grail to supplant them from your bag?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

37 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Dpattgolf I agree with the longer iron forgiveness. For that reason I put the HI irons in play and it’s served me well. I was seriously surprised / disappointed however to see a 55/100 score. I would hope just showing up in a box would earn them at least a C+

I’m curious just based on your critical score. Did you already love your Cobras that much that it would take nothing short of the holy grail to supplant them from your bag?

The reason for the low score was they just didn’t perform well for me. Especially compared against the claims made in regards to their performance in the manufactures marketing.

2 things in regards to “just showing up in a box would earn at least a C+“. 1) Performace is king. While looks and feel are included in the review, ultimately the review is about how they perform. Not if they looked good when I opened up the box or sitting in the bag. The fact that the clubs showed up in a box isn’t going to help me or anyone else shoot better scores.  2) Why should and above average score like that (76-79) be given to a club that has what I would consider to be pretty sizable performance flaws? Especially when the only option to rectifying those flaws is to spend even more money to replace nearly half the set? 

Finally about my Cobras. While I do really enjoy my Cobras and they have performed well for me, they are by no means untouchable and I have zero loyalty to them. At the end of the day I want the best possible performing clubs for me that I can afford. So even if they look a little funny or come from a brand that isn’t popular, if it performs, its going in the bag. The Ft. Worth Blacks had every single chance to do that and just weren’t able to deliver. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

The reason for the low score was they just didn’t perform well for me. Especially compared against the claims made in regards to their performance in the manufactures marketing.

2 things in regards to “just showing up in a box would earn at least a C+“. 1) Performace is king. While looks and feel are included in the review, ultimately the review is about how they perform. Not if they looked good when I opened up the box or sitting in the bag. The fact that the clubs showed up in a box isn’t going to help me or anyone else shoot better scores.  2) Why should and above average score like that (76-79) be given to a club that has what I would consider to be pretty sizable performance flaws? Especially when the only option to rectifying those flaws is to spend even more money to replace nearly half the set? 

Finally about my Cobras. While I do really enjoy my Cobras and they have performed well for me, they are by no means untouchable and I have zero loyalty to them. At the end of the day I want the best possible performing clubs for me that I can afford. So even if they look a little funny or come from a brand that isn’t popular, if it performs, its going in the bag. The Ft. Worth Blacks had every single chance to do that and just weren’t able to deliver. 

Fair play.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Archived