TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

hckymeyer

The reason for the low score was they just didn’t perform well for me. Especially compared against the claims made in regards to their performance in the manufactures marketing.

2 things in regards to “just showing up in a box would earn at least a C+“. 1) Performace is king. While looks and feel are included in the review, ultimately the review is about how they perform. Not if they looked good when I opened up the box or sitting in the bag. The fact that the clubs showed up in a box isn’t going to help me or anyone else shoot better scores.  2) Why should and above average score like that (76-79) be given to a club that has what I would consider to be pretty sizable performance flaws? Especially when the only option to rectifying those flaws is to spend even more money to replace nearly half the set? 

Finally about my Cobras. While I do really enjoy my Cobras and they have performed well for me, they are by no means untouchable and I have zero loyalty to them. At the end of the day I want the best possible performing clubs for me that I can afford. So even if they look a little funny or come from a brand that isn’t popular, if it performs, its going in the bag. The Ft. Worth Blacks had every single chance to do that and just weren’t able to deliver. 

And that’s all that is asked for here: honesty. Testing clubs shouldn’t guarantee a “positive” review, JUST because you’ve been given a free set. Ultimately, whom does it benefit to write a glowing review if the clubs don’t perform? No one, except the OEM.
Based on your review, it looks like you and I had very similar results, and reviews. Pretty strong to keep them in your bag for Club Championship. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, chemclub said:

Pretty damning when a + handicap says they aren't forgiving enough. Guess iron tech is worth something after all, even if it is just the simple perimeter weighting.

Its not so much that they aren't forgiving enough for me (But I will never complain about having a little more of it) but more about the claims made by  Ben Hogan Golf and some of the golfers who play their clubs. 

"We actually try to avoid the use of the oft-repeated terms “blade” and “game improvement” to define irons. And the Ft Worth irons blur that line anyway. We have applied an entirely new approach to iron weighting to deliver the precision, feel and ball control normally reserved for “blades”, with a measure of forgiveness that compares to any “game improvement” design." -BenHoganGolf.com

This is just an outright lie. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

15 hours ago, jlukes said:

Good stuff dpatt. I continue to be confused by the sole width progression in these irons. It really makes no sense

Yea its very strange and I'm still not entirely convinced that it wasn't a mistake that someone let slipped through into production. While I don't often believe marketing claims about performance, marketing usually just over blows performance. This is completely opposite of the performance and I can't imagine anyone knowingly choosing to take that risk.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

8 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

Its not so much that they aren't forgiving enough for me (But I will never complain about having a little more of it) but more about the claims made by  Ben Hogan Golf and some of the golfers who play their clubs. 

"We actually try to avoid the use of the oft-repeated terms “blade” and “game improvement” to define irons. And the Ft Worth irons blur that line anyway. We have applied an entirely new approach to iron weighting to deliver the precision, feel and ball control normally reserved for “blades”, with a measure of forgiveness that compares to any “game improvement” design." -BenHoganGolf.com

I tried these albeit briefly, and I agree, there is no more forgiveness than any other blade on the market. Are they pretty? Yes. But do they perform well?  For me, it was a resounding NO! 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

10 hours ago, GB13 said:

I tried these albeit briefly, and I agree, there is no more forgiveness than any other blade on the market. Are they pretty? Yes. But do they perform well?  For me, it was a resounding NO! 

12 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

As much as I don't want to believe this, the Maltby Playability Factor (MPF) for these is among the lowest of all irons they have ranked.  As in 15th worst of 887.  Only four clubs tested worse in the last 24 years.  The other "worst 15" clubs average 63 years old!  @BIG STU might have 15 vintage sets more playable than these.

Now, if someone would find some 2005 Hogan Apex's, we would be talking!  Hogan has six Apex's ranked more playable than any Callaway "Apex".  Sorry, that was off topic, but seeing Apex on a Callaway makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth.

Back on topic: If you took five golfers and gave them five clubs with a decent spread in MPF, do you think they would be able to rank them correctly with a handful of shots in a launch monitor?  Do those numbers really translate to real life?  Apparently @DPattGolf and @GB13 felt that a rating of 90 is pretty reasonable for these irons.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

8 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

Back on topic: If you took five golfers and gave them five clubs with a decent spread in MPF, do you think they would be able to rank them correctly with a handful of shots in a launch monitor?  Do those numbers really translate to real life?  Apparently @DPattGolf and @GB13 felt that a rating of 90 is pretty reasonable for these irons.

In my opinion, no and while I understand the concept of MPF, I really think this is one of those areas of allowing numbers to replace reality. For example, this assumes that all players will contact the ball with the same lofting/de-lofting of the face, that they will strike the ball in exactly the same region of the face and that material or construction of the face also plays no part. It also completely ignores the sole construction of the club and how that plays a factor through strike.

MPF is a guideline, a starting point for a thought process, not a "conclusion".

I own lots of sets of clubs that are on their list and, for me, the actual experience in hitting them is all over the place relative to their listing.

Let's take a sample set based on clubs I have:

Wilson Deep Red II - MPF 942
Titleist  690CB - MPF 431
Mizuno MP-5 - MPF 359
Titleist ZB - MPF 495
Mizuno MP-15 - MPF 374
Mizuno MP-25 - MPF  290
Srixon Z765 - MPF 473
Ping G15 - MPF 844
Ft Worth - MPF 90

For me, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I least like hitting (and get the worst results) with the Ping and Wilson sets, I just can't consistently hit the shots I want, yet according to MPF they should be far and away the easiest clubs I have to hit.
My favourites fall between the Ft Worth and Srixon sets and I really find very little difference in terms of hitting each of them at all, yet one is on the high end of a players club and the other is supposedly among the hardest to hit clubs of recent history. Put both in my hand on course and I wouldn't be able to tell you either way.
I find the MP-5s the easiest to hit of the Mizunos, despite falling in the middle of the group.

It's really a guideline to the head's potential forgiveness under a very specific set of circumstances that doesn't tally with my, personal, experience at all.

If you told me I had to play a match that mattered tomorrow and threw me the option of the Wilsons, one of the "best" clubs on the MPF scale or the Ft Worth, one of the "worst", there is only one club I would even contemplate and it's not the Wilsons.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

On 12/18/2018 at 12:26 AM, jlukes said:

Good stuff dpatt. I continue to be confused by the sole width progression in these irons. It really makes no sense

22 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

Yea its very strange and I'm still not entirely convinced that it wasn't a mistake that someone let slipped through into production. While I don't often believe marketing claims about performance, marketing usually just over blows performance. This is completely opposite of the performance and I can't imagine anyone knowingly choosing to take that risk.

I have to say, that this is a topic in this thread has me a little confused.

A lot of players clubs have thinner soles in the long irons and it's a very intentional design factor.
Thicker soles allow you to move more weight low to provide higher launch and more forgiveness, but the assumption in players irons is that you don't need this so much.
At the same time, thinner soles provide more workability, both in terms of flighting shots up and down and also in looking to add lateral spin. Typically, players are more likely to want to shape shots in longer irons rather than shorter irons where the backspin overwhelms the effect of side-spin anyway, so the longer irons have thinner soles both by virtue of their natural shape, the lower requirement for forgiveness in the target market and to facilitate better shot-shaping.

Most of my sets of traditional clubs have thinner long irons than short.

As I've stated in my review, I think these are very much a "target market" club and, as the Tour itself proves, even the best of players in the World have to pick what suits them best and even in that tiny, tiny demographic you get people ranging between very traditional style blades through to AP2s and similar.

I will say that, for almost every player, if you want to play tournaments and aren't living every second of your life with your irons wrapped into your hands then there are probably other irons that will facilitate better scoring, but I don't see anything wrong in these for what they are intended to be.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Don’t ignore the adoration factor.

I’ve played four sets of irons that I’ve been fitted for over the past 19 years.

Titleist 962b

Titleist 670

PING i5

Hogan Ft. Worth’s.

One of these is an outwardly “easy” club to hit. The others were easy for me to hit because I TRUSTED them in my hands.

Let’s not ignore the psychological affect.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Jon Brittan said:

I have to say, this is one topic that has me a little confused in this thread. A lot of players clubs have thinner soles in the long irons and it's a very intentional design factor.
Thicker soles allow you to move more weight low to provide higher launch and more forgiveness, but the assumption in players irons is that you don't need this so much.
At the same time, thinner soles provide more workability, both in terms of flighting shots up and down and also in looking to add lateral spin. Typically, players are more likely to want to shape shots in longer irons rather than shorter irons where the backspin overwhelms the effect of side-spin anyway, so the longer irons have thinner soles both by virtue of their natural shape, the lower requirement for forgiveness in the target market and to facilitate better shot-shaping.

Most of my sets of traditional clubs have thinner long irons than short.

As I've stated in my review, I think these are very much a "target market" club and, as the Tour itself proves, even the best of players in the World have to pick what suits them best and even in that tiny, tiny demographic you get people ranging between very traditional style blades through to AP2s and similar.

I will say that, for almost every player, if you want to play tournaments and aren't living every second of your life with your irons wrapped into your hands then there are probably other irons that will facilitate better scoring.

Since I was the one who originally brought it up let me clarify this a bit.

Do some modern players irons have a shrinking sole progression like these? Yes but when that is the case the severity of the progress is not to this drastic. This is very much a older style blade than what you would often find now on the market for new clubs in the Players category. What I would say is more common now is to have sole widths relatively the same across the entire set (say 7 iron width in the Ft Worth Blacks). This trend is evident in both my Titleist 712 MB/CB and 714 AP2 sets as well as my Cobra MB/CB combos. Having sole widths like this in a set creates long irons that produce a little higher trajectory with a little more mass lower and short irons that penetrate a little more thanks to mass being raised. 2 things that most players these are aimed at want. This happens to be exactly what BenHoganGolf claimed that they have done with this design. But it just doesn't do. If your doubting the desire for penetrating short irons think to how often you have been hearing major companies talking about wedges creating a more penetrating ball flight in the last 5 years. Also a larger sole provides more so ground impact forgiveness "Chunk Protection" than what most would consider traditional forgiveness. It also will have little to no impact on lateral spin. Loss of that and gained tradition forgiveness tend to go hand in hand but also require this head to be designed in a way that most would mistake it for a Players iron anymore. 

17 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

Since I was the one who originally brought it up let me clarify this a bit.

[Snip]

Then I think we're really in the same place, other than what we feel Hogan are aiming for here.
It seems, to me, that the PTx probably resembles what you've (accurately) described as a modern players iron.
To me, the Ft Worth is a shot at a very traditional blade and nothing more than that.
I don't see the Ft. Worth being the club that many people put in their bags with a view to winning their county/regional championships, but at the same time, I can honestly say that, for me, I didn't find them particularly harsh compared to pretty much anything else I play and again, for me, they suit what I currently want out of golf.

I think, in the same way that modern power irons don't suit some players (with a 7 iron stronger lofted than your usual 5 iron), the current Ben Hogan philosophy probably has it's niche.
Again, with reference to your comments on wedge flights, I understand the common desire, but look at their blurb on their aims with the Equalizer wedges which is nearly the complete opposite.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

21 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Don’t ignore the adoration factor.

I’ve played four sets of irons that I’ve been fitted for over the past 19 years.

Titleist 962b

Titleist 670

PING i5

Hogan Ft. Worth’s.

One of these is an outwardly “easy” club to hit. The others were easy for me to hit because I TRUSTED them in my hands.

Let’s not ignore the psychological affect.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I loved the look of the Hogan Ft Worth's and TRUSTED them just like any other club I have ever owned. (I tend to trust my swing more than anything else) I did the same thing when I reviewed the Snell MTB Black. 

However, my scoring average rising 3+ shots and not ever being all that close to defending my Club Championship (Winner was very beatable and did not run away and hide by any means) while using the Ft. Worth's would argue against the impact you are suggesting. 

6 minutes ago, Jon Brittan said:

Then I think we're really in the same place, other than what we feel Hogan are aiming for here.
It seems, to me, that the PTx probably resembles what you've (accurately) described as a modern players iron.
To be, the Ft Worth is a shot at a very traditional blade and nothing more than that.
I don't see the Ft. Worth being the club that many people put in their bags with a view to winning their county/regional championships, but at the same time, I can honestly say that, for me, I didn't find them particularly harsh compared to pretty much anything else I play and again, for me, they suit what I currently want out of golf.

I think, in the same way that modern power irons don't suit some players (with a 7 iron stronger lofted than your usual 5 iron), the current Ben Hogan philosophy probably has it's niche.
Again, with reference to your comments on wedge flights, I understand the common desire, but look at their blurb on their aims with the Equalizer wedges which is nearly the complete opposite.

I agree that it is a traditional blade, but the marketing claims from BHG state something completely different. BHG are the ones saying that the Ft. Worth has "with a measure of forgiveness that compares to any “game improvement” design".

That forgiveness comparable to GI clubs is just simply not true.

20 minutes ago, Jon Brittan said:

To be, the Ft Worth is a shot at a very traditional blade and nothing more than that.

I would not consider the PTx a Players iron. 

Also Ben Hogan literally Markets the Equalizer wedges the exactly like I said other brands are marketing wedges now.

"No more ballooning wedge shots." - BenHoganGolf.com

1 minute ago, DPattGolf said:

I would not consider the PTx a Players iron.

Also Ben Hogan literally Markets the Equalizer wedges the exactly like I said.

"No more ballooning wedge shots." - BenHoganGolf.com

I think what we can take from this is that someone from Hogan's marketing team probably needs to get a bit better at giving a clear message.
What I was referring to was in their further write-up of the Equalizers:

"In effect, the lower lofted wedges have a higher Center of Mass that generates flatter, penetrating shot trajectories that skip on the green, and stop quickly. The higher lofted wedges have been designed with a lower Center of Mass to deliver shots that fly higher, land softly on the green and stop. The result is that each Equalizer wedges perform exactly for its intended purposes."

So, basically only the stronger lofted wedges are designed to be "penetrating" and the shorter wedges are designed, intentionally, to give a higher ball flight relative to their loft. Basically, in the shortest of their wedges, the opposite of the bit you have quoted from them...

Basically, they need to be a bit more clear as to what they are saying and trying to achieve, as I agree with the point about their suggestion that the Ft Worth's are, essentially, like playing a Game Improvement iron too. Take that statement out and it's all a lot more palatable.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

I think what we can take from this is that someone from Hogan's marketing team probably needs to get a bit better at giving a clear message.

"In effect, the lower lofted wedges have a higher Center of Mass that generates flatter, penetrating shot trajectories that skip on the green, and stop quickly. The higher lofted wedges have been designed with a lower Center of Mass to deliver shots that fly higher, land softly on the green and stop. The result is that each Equalizer wedges perform exactly for its intended purposes."

So, basically only the stronger lofted wedges are designed to be "penetrating" and the shorter wedges are designed, intentionally, to give a higher ball flight relative to their loft. Basically, in the shortest of their wedges, the opposite of the bit you have quoted from them...

Basically, they need to be a bit more clear as to what they are saying and trying to achieve, as I agree with the point about their suggestion that the Ft Worth's are, essentially, like playing a Game Improvement iron too. Take that statement out and it's all a lot more palatable.

And the equalizer wedges are designed opposite from just about every other wedge company out there as well. Everyone else has a progressive center of gravity that gets higher as the lofts increase.

I just don't understand what BHG is doing.

2 minutes ago, Jon Brittan said:

I would agree that their marketing needs to be improved.

But there is also a reason that what I quoted is the headline. Its because that is where the biggest design change happened. The high lofted wedges are relatively unchanged so they are just telling us what we already know by saying those go high. 

I loved the look of the Hogan Ft Worth's and TRUSTED them just like any other club I have ever owned. (I tend to trust my swing more than anything else) I did the same thing when I reviewed the Snell MTB Black. 

However, my scoring average rising 3+ shots and not ever being all that close to defending my Club Championship (Winner was very beatable and did not run away and hide by any means) while using the Ft. Worth's would argue against the impact you are suggesting. 

I think it’s fair to say you proved your point well beyond what any reasonable person should expect. I don’t believe you have to defend yourself. You were honest and supported it with plenty of examples.

I would disagree with the trust though. I don’t know how you could trust these when they failed you.

You did trust your swing.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Very interesting.  Just goes to show you everyone is different.  Myself I found the dispersion to be pretty good even compared to my Callaways and had no loss of distance.  As a plus I didn't get those random shots that flew an extra 10 yards.  

Great reviews guys!!

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I demoed all 3 Ben Hogan iron models. I went with the Ft. Worth 15s because of 1-feel, 2-I got them at a insane price for new clubs, 3-performance, 4-looks. The PTX is a great iron too, but I didn't find them that much more forgiving. In the 4-6 irons, they were easier to launch. Didn't have to swing as fast. I have pictures and caliper measurements of these irons on THP.com. Ben Hogan has made 3 progressive irons that measurement wise, separates them into different categories, but that separation is slim. For the price, even from Ben Hogan Golf,  I don't think you can find a better value for the product anywhere else right now! Maybe the TEE EXS driver?!

On 12/19/2018 at 7:07 AM, jlukes said:

I agree that it is a traditional blade, but the marketing claims from BHG state something completely different. BHG are the ones saying that the Ft. Worth has "with a measure of forgiveness that compares to any “game improvement” design".

That forgiveness comparable to GI clubs is just simply not true.

I think this is the key. If they weren't marketing it like it was a forgiving club it would be less of an issue. I only used the 5 and 8 iron demo for two weeks, and I think my 7 handicap would be the type of golfer they are trying to expand their demographic to based on the marketing. I had a positive experience, really loved the looks and feel, and performance, at least in limited practice, wasn't as drastic of a drop off as what Dpatt has outlined, but the long irons especially are not aligned with their marketing of offering any sort of game improvement IMO.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Now this is just me and I am a big Ralph Maltby fan but I do not go by MPF that much. Basically if it is a blade iron and fits my eye I feel I can hit it. Some GI irons do not fit my eye as most CBs don't either. I think for me personally it also has a lot to do with feel and feedback. With me also it is ingrained instinct which ties into my feel.  IMHO the MPF is a general category and is a general guideline. I do know the other night on WRX in one of the threads someone stated that the MPF on some of the blade irons I hit is actually better than some of the new stuff. The guy who stated it also plays classic stuff too. It all ties in at the end of the day of what one feels comfortable with standing over the ball

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just going to keep gently ticking on this.

These are still working for me. I've now shot four consecutive under-par rounds (admittedly on easier courses that I know quite well) and it's been based mostly on iron shots in the current weather.
I really have few complaints about these, for what they are.

That said, in a few weeks I'm going to try to get my hands on a demo set of a couple of different irons and do a fresh comparison.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

On 1/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, Jon Brittan said:

I'm just going to keep gently ticking on this.

These are still working for me. I've now shot four consecutive under-par rounds (admittedly on easier courses that I know quite well) and it's been based mostly on iron shots in the current weather.
I really have few complaints about these, for what they are.

That said, in a few weeks I'm going to try to get my hands on a demo set of a couple of different irons and do a fresh comparison.

Well done, seems you are in the groove!

Stage Two – Dec 2018

Ft Worth Black Iron Review – Official MGS Forum Review by Travis Clarke

Hello fellow MGS members! I cannot express how thankful I am to the fine people at MGS and the Ben Hogan Equipment Company for letting me take part in this review and I apologies for my delay in my 2nd stage.
My testing including range time at my local course, 8 games of golf which included a fantastic trip to Cabot Links, and 6 hours on a golf simulator once the snow flew. I was able to really put these clubs through the ringer and this helped me gather some great information and form a strong opinion on these clubs. So without further delay below is review!
Looks (9 out of 10 points)
My first impressions of the new Fort Worth black Iron's by the Hogan golf company was very good. The black finish is very attractive on the heads and the graphite shafts with the gray/blue grips complimented the overall look very well. I felt the clubs have a very stylish and aggressive appearance.
post-82691-0-46272100-1537971384_thumb.jpg
post-82691-0-96389600-1537971389_thumb.jpg
At first I felt they looked a lot smaller then my current set of irons which are the 714 AP2 model by Titleist. They looked more like a players club and something that was not going to be very forgiving. But after a closer side by side comparison I realized that is not the fact. Both clubs are very similar in face area. The main difference that I noticed is the top line slope from the toe to heal is steeper on the Hogan irons. This isn’t really noticeable at address and is more noticeable in a direct side by side comparison as show below.
 679427896_Comparison-Dec.thumb.jpg.015deecc72f802d6c7042b059e19c62b.jpg
492913471_Comparison2-Dec.thumb.jpg.ea46ddecb8caae35487128a6fcead363.jpg
 Hogan has done a very nice job with the graphics on the club. They are a simple, and effective graphics that don’t dominate or take away from the overall look of the clubs. The graphics do their job to advertise for Hogan as well announce they are a players (forged) club.  
The finish on the irons is something that really intrigued me. Out of the box the irons look great with the black finish but I have to admit I was curious if the finish was going to hold up after repeated use. I can easily admit that I’m very impressed with the finish and how it is holding up. I would never hesitate to buy these clubs because of concerns with the finish holding up.  
Overall the appearance comes together very nicely and the irons really stand out compared to my more traditional Titleist setup. I feel the clubs do stand out from the rest of the pack but I wouldn’t go as far to say they are flashy which I really like.
Sound & Feel (9 out of 10 points)
These are definitely forged clubs and if you have played forged irons before you know what I’m talking about. When you hit a pure shot there is nothing that feels or sounds better in the game of golf. On the other hand, if you hit a bad shot you know nothing feels worse in the game of golf. This is especially case when the temperature drops.
I would describe the sound as very crisp on good shots. The quality of the click usually relates to the shot result. I found the higher the pitch the worse the shot was. The quality shots had a nice deep pitch that feels buttery smooth.
Range Performance (14 out of 20 points)
I really enjoyed my time testing these clubs on both the range and on a simulator. I felt it gave me a great understanding of how these clubs fit with my game.
The last few years I have been more focused on specific drills on the range as well as some range games for gauging my progress. For the club trial I wasn’t as focused on trying to implement swing changes or improvements rather I focused on using these clubs based on the current state of my swing.
The first game I worked on was what I call “targets”. Our range has 5 small greens and I progress thru all 5 targets from shortest to longest keeping track of shots to hit each target and total shots to hit all 5 targets. My results are below.   
 717706850_TargetGame-Results.jpg.0f35ca66b25b850db64fddee87deab25.jpg
From my results you can see I preformed better with my original set of irons. Part of the advantage I believe my old clubs had was on the 5th target. This target was at 214 yds and this was a nice distance for a full 4 iron with my old clubs. The Hogan irons I found definitely go further with the lower irons which I relate to the consistent 4-degree loft decrease per iron compared to other manufacturers. The problem on the 5th target was I had to take a bit off my full swing to hit the 214 yd target. I struggled finding the right distance, I was either to long, to short and the odd shot off-line . Eliminating that target brings the results much closer together.
I really enjoyed this game as it quickly made me realize the Hogan set got me more distant out of the low irons. I also found the ball seemed to have a lower more penetrating flight with the Hogan irons. For my next test I used the trees on the range as my guide and I hit several shots trying to get the peak ball flight below the tree height. My results for that was that I was able to keep 80% (8 out of 10 shots) of the shots below the tree tops with the Hogan irons compared to 60% (6 out of 10 shots) with my AP2 irons.
Unfortunately for us this year the cold came earlier then normal and this meant I had to take my testing inside to the simulator. The positive of this was I was able to get some really nice data and side by side comparison of the Ft Worth irons vs my current set. For this test on my simulator I hit 5 shots with the Ft Worth irons and then 5 shots with my current set and put the numbers side by side. I was able to compare the shot dispersion as well as the performance statistics. I did this with 3 different irons (PW, 7-iron and 4-iron) and the results are below.
PW – Stats Comparison:
2103630179_PWComp-Stats.jpg.5cdc3e7f1f3638733b3831401f736465.jpg
PW – Hogan Dispersion:
1937120013_PWHogan-Dispersion.jpg.386132129adcbb2da48a25a3acbde004.jpg
PW – Titleist Dispersion:
1848507530_PWTitelist-Dispersion.jpg.0f7174afc87507669f4066e618c98f65.jpg
7-Iron – Stats Comparison:
138220743_7-IronComp-Stats.jpg.fe3bdeff4e317261c10990970c27cde2.jpg 
7-Iron – Hogan Dispersion:
1142613739_7-IronHogan-Dispersion.jpg.b176fc610b2414c035956fddce35d181.jpg
7-Iron – Titleist Dispersion:
771623041_7-IronTitelist-Dispersion.jpg.3f0fbc664c86c9220510223e3efcaf02.jpg
4-Iron – Stats Comparison:
479744149_4-IronComp-Stats.jpg.859ce0a51f1128a8650186d33762d9c4.jpg
4-Iron – Hogan Dispersion:
1809804310_4-IronHogan-Dispersion.jpg.ef45c14c0a5022abfb90e934556bf48e.jpg
4-Iron – Titleist Dispersion:
1990143449_4-IronTitelist-Dispersion.jpg.1d9fa4ad3cdfc9a77f5f415d40e36ace.jpg
The results from the simulator were interesting as they confirmed some of my initial thoughts on the clubs but they also made me realize I was wrong on one of my initial assumptions.  
Distance: With Hogan using the consistent 4-degree loft change between irons resulted in me hitting my low irons further then I traditionally do. The Hogan 4 iron at 22 degree’s was averaging just over 225 yds per shot. Compared to my Titleist 4 iron at 24 degree’s averaging just under 218 yds per shot. Remarkably the distance with the high irons was pretty much identical which is probably related to the lofts being the same as well. I never realized this till now but I much prefer the consistent gapping used by Hogan.
Ball Trajectory: This is where the simulator surprised me a bit. Coming off the range I felt the Hogan irons had more penetrating (lower) ball flight vs my Titleist irons. When you compare the launch angles on the clubs it tells you a different story. Comparing both PW’s, you will see they have the same loft but you will also see the launch angle with the Hogan was actually higher compared to the Titleist.  This got me thinking and made me realize the Hogan clubs let me work the ball up and down better then my current set. This probably explained my better results with my trajectory game on the range. This definitely is a bonus or advantage to the Hogan irons.
Shot Dispersion: This is where I struggled with the Hogan irons. I typically struggle with my misses and I found that my misses were much greater with the Hogan irons compared to my Titleist irons. Comparing the 7 and 4 irons you will see I was consistently centre or left of centre with my Titleist irons where I was playing army golf with the Hogan irons. (Left, right, left, right). This really effected my mental game on the course which I touch on later in the review.
On-Course Performance (28 out of 40 points)
My on-course performance was both rewarding and also very challenging. I was able to get the new irons out to my home course for few rounds before I jumped right in to a golf trip to Cabot Links.
A quick plug for Cabot Links. This facility is truly world class and a must play for golfers with a bucket list. The conditions are incredible and it is a great test for your game. I would highly recommend playing Cabot if you get the chance. Below is a video that shows how fierce the wind blew for 1 of our rounds. This wind was a great test for the Hogan irons.

What I found on the course:
Accuracy – I really struggled with controlling the Hogan irons. Accuracy is a weakness of my game but I found it got worse with the Hogan irons. I found my offline shots would go further offline compared to normal and this caused the problems to snowball on me. I would try to correct my last miss and end up going the other way which was frustrating and ultimately lead to me having less confidence over the golf ball which is never good.
Trajectory – I loved how the Hogan irons performed. I was able to hit knock down shots with ease and this was a big advantage on the wind sweep links golf course’s at Cabot.  I was also able to launch the ball to good heights when the conditions allowed which was also a big bonus.
Forgiveness – The Hogan irons are a forged iron and as most know a forged iron is typically not the most forgiving iron. Hogan has done a nice job of providing a nice level of forgiveness with these irons without taking away from there playability. As expected, your misses won’t travel as far but I found the penalty wasn’t as dramatic as I expected. I found that on the course a miss would cost you about 1 club which I think is more than acceptable.
Workability – This is where these irons shine. I loved how I could work the irons up or down and left and right. On well played draws I had no problem working the ball 10 to 15 yds. Compared to my other irons which I really had to try to move that ball that far.
Confidence – Standing over the ball looking down at the irons I really like what I saw. From an aesthetics point of view the clubs are beautiful which I think is an important part of feeling good and confident about your next shot. This only lasts so long till my misses started weighing on me. I struggled controlling the ball on bad shots and this got in my head and didn’t help my confidence over the ball. I don’t blame the clubs for this as much as I do my ability but overall my confidence sagged as I played more and more with these irons which was frustrating. Perfect example was me missing the green on 3 consecutive swings on the signature par 3 - 16th at Cabot. The hole isn’t long but accuracy is demanding and missing the green leads to a re-load.
Play it or Trade it? (15 out of 20 points)
This type of club is made for a really good player and all really good players should consider them. My game isn’t consistent enough for these clubs and the benefits didn’t outweigh the draw backs . I believe if work on my game and reducing my misses I can get it to a point where these clubs will be more beneficial then not and will let me play with confidence.
At this point if I was going into a big game, I would have to put these clubs back on the shelf. The clubs are great to have but they don’t help me play my best golf at this point. 
Conclusion
Overall the clubs are a great players club and unfortunately, I’m not a top-notch player yet. The clubs looked, felt and preformed very, very well. I loved the look of my clubs and they brought a lot of excitement to the game out of the gate. I loved how they felt on good shots and was pleasantly surprised with how they felt on not so good shots. The clubs had fantastic workability which let me believe I could hit most shots. I just struggled with my misses which lead to me lacking in confidence. This ultimately led to me not scoring as well as I typically do on the course. My average score was 2 to 3 strokes higher when playing the Hogan irons compared to my old set.
This review really did open my eyes to the Hogan brand. In the past I would not have put the Hogan brand in the same league as other high-performance clubs on the market. That was a big miscalculation by me. The Hogan brand is a top performing brand and if I was in the market for this type of club, I would definitely give them a proper shot.  
Specifically, for my review of the Ft Worth Black Irons:
Pro’s:
·        Looks - these are beautiful clubs.
·        Feel – when hit well they give you a real buttery feel.
·        Workability – I loved how I could move the ball up and down and left and right with ease
·        Loft gapping – The consistent 4-degree loft change staggered my irons distances very well and provided                   consistent gaps between all irons
Con’s:
·        Misses – I struggled with my control. I found with these irons my misses went further left or further right then           typical which snowballed on me and my confidence over the ball.
In closing my game currently isn’t consistent enough for these irons. I found the penalty for my misses was too drastic and ultimately caused my scoring to increase. If I was a more consistent player, I believe these clubs would only improve my game and the pros would out weight the 1 major con. If you are in the market for high performance clubs make sure to give these irons their fair shake as you will be pleasantly surprised!
Final Score: 75
My 2nd review is up if any one is interested in reading. Let me know if any comments or questions.

Travis Clarke

Archived