hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

@Jon Brittan

2 years playing golf and you have already gone through 11 sets of irons!!!!

At least we can say you have experience with other clubs to form an opinion  :lol:

I don't know how you find the time but good for you!

PS - Since high school (I'm 35 now) I have only owned 3 sets of irons and my 3rd set was bought last year. I have a long way to go obviously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread will not be good for me... great start fellas... long live the ‘s.

• Like 2

@Jon Brittan

2 years playing golf and you have already gone through 11 sets of irons!!!!

At least we can say you have experience with other clubs to form an opinion :lol:

I don't know how you find the time but good for you!

PS - Since high school (I'm 35 now) I have only owned 3 sets of irons and my 3rd set was bought last year. I have a long way to go obviously.

There is that, yes.

I had lots of time on my hands, it made sense to buy all these clubs even if I was just selling them straight on again.

Every set I've bought have had fresh grips on, I've rarely paid as much as the grips alone were worth.

The 690cb set cost me £40, the 690.cb set £35, the Mizuno sets £35 each, the ZB set £70...

I was just trading clubs and keeping the ones I liked. Most sets I could turn over for £150-200 if I didn't want them.

But, yes, I've already hit enough clubs in my time to get a feel for new ones pretty quickly.

• Like 5

Loving the stage ones so far...

It seems that Hogan have adopted the opposite idea to most GI irons with the sole widths 🤔😎

• Like 1

Loving the stage ones so far...

It seems that Hogan have adopted the opposite idea to most GI irons with the sole widths

No doubt! When I first looked at them out of the box, my eyes went ! But, when I took the comparison pics next to my Mizuno irons, it wasn't that much of a difference. Maybe the black, and the V-Sole give it the appearance of being thinner than they are. The 4 iron looked like a butter knife!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Got my first real 9 hole round in with these this weekend on a short local course. Iron play was a lot better than the stats show and I just need to continue to get use to the distances with these. The driver is what really let me down. 1 week left until Club Championship time!

IMG_1358.JPG

• Like 3

Good start fellas! These look like clubs I could only dream of hitting well. 

Any of you guys buying iron covers for these things given the care instructions they sent? I;m curious about how bad the wear really is with these things. 

Any of you guys buying iron covers for these things given the care instructions they sent? I;m curious about how bad the wear really is with these things. 

I won't be buying iron covers. And unless they botched the DBM finish, the wear should be minimal if you are cleaning your clubs. For reference, I have been banging away at my Cobra MB/CB's with the same DBM finish since March and they look near identical to when I first got them

On the Hogan site they say that this finish is actually more durable than a chrome finish, so I'm not worried about them losing their luster. DBM is not just a coating, so it will not wear off like a spray on finish would.

IMG_6459.PNG

I won't be buying iron covers. And unless they botched the DBM finish, the wear should be minimal if you are cleaning your clubs. For reference, I have been banging away at my Cobra MB/CB's with the same DBM finish since March and they look near identical to when I first got them

On the Hogan site they say that this finish is actually more durable than a chrome finish, so I'm not worried about them losing their luster. DBM is not just a coating, so it will not wear off like a spray on finish would.

attachicon.gif IMG_6459.PNG

I actually was not even considering the finish, although those are good notes.

PMookie posted the care guide and being the nerd I am, I read the whole thing. They mention the irons being very soft compared to others and being more prone to dings and dents due to the material they use, even to go so far as to tell you to keep extra spacing between them in your bag. That's what I was referring to as they seem pretty concerned about it, at the very least that notice would probably prompt me to buy covers for them, but maybe this is a normal thing and they are exaggerating to help prevent returns in case of dings and dents?

Good note, but I can't put covers on irons... Can't do it.

A concern with covers is keeping moisture trapped, causing rust. That's not why I don't use them....

The claims that Hogan make are what we're testing anyway, so it will be good to see if “bag chatter” is greater with these than other irons.

• Like 2

Good note, but I can't put covers on irons... Can't do it.

A concern with covers is keeping moisture trapped, causing rust. That's not why I don't use them....

The claims that Hogan make are what we're testing anyway, so it will be good to see if “bag chatter” is greater with these than other irons.

I understand, no way I would do it either, just something to look out for. I would hate to see these beauties all dinged up just because someone likes to walk the course and doesn't like iron covers. Hopefully they aren't that soft. 

• Like 1

I also can not put covers on them, why hide such a beautiful club??  Besides, I would probably lose all of them after a couple rounds anyway.

• Like 1

Good start guys, I wish I was in this group without a doubt.

They look sweet.

Speaking of looking like butter knives, can anyone let a small slip out concerning the feel on contact?

I hit a 4 iron yesterday with my AP2's on a 188 yd par 3 that flew 190 about a foot right of the stick. The purity of the strike was one of the sweetest feelings I've ever experienced on a golf course. My partner asked if I felt it “in my loins”.

I chuckled at that concept and it occurred to me that I did.

So call it butter or what you prefer, but have any of you hit one of these as pure as the driven snow? And tell me please, was it all that?

• Like 1

They look sweet.

Speaking of looking like butter knives, can anyone let a small slip out concerning the feel on contact?

I hit a 4 iron yesterday with my AP2's on a 188 yd par 3 that flew 190 about a foot right of the stick. The purity of the strike was one of the sweetest feelings I've ever experienced on a golf course. My partner asked if I felt it “in my loins”.

So call it butter or what you prefer, but have any of you hit one of these as pure as the driven snow? And tell me please, was it all that?

I have hit a few of those so far and mentioned my expectations. Its definitely a nice feeling and I will leave it at that for now until Stage 2  :P

• Like 1

They look sweet.

As I can imagine all forged blades have “that feel” on pured shots, these do too.

Looking forward to seeing if these “feel like a mizuno”. I've got to echo the sentiment on the sole width of the long irons, I'm still scratching my head

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I have iron covers on mine already, but I do on every set I own because I hate bag clatter.

I've only managed a couple of range sessions, some garden practice and a quick 9 so far, but not even the faintest mark where some black finishes you'd see the fact my range sessions last into hundreds of balls already...

• Like 2