TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

hckymeyer

Great start fellas!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does the length measure from heel to toe on these compared to the other irons you guys use? Assume this is a compact head in every way, as opposed to some of the players' distance irons that have a thin top line but are really long from heel to toe?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

How does the length measure from heel to toe on these compared to the other irons you guys use? Assume this is a compact head in every way, as opposed to some of the players' distance irons that have a thin top line but are really long from heel to toe?

I posted a few pics in my Stage 1 that show the length is similar to my MP-18 SCs, with a few being longer than mine.

IMG_6330.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

IMG_6328.JPG

Is there REALLY that much difference between the MP-18 SC and the Ft. Worth Black? Color influences how we see it, as well as the v-sole.

There really isn't that much of a difference, in a pic, on the range, on the course.

Maybe the marketing that a wider sole on a long iron is needed really is just marketing. Plus, it influences the weighting and CG location. Hogan has spread some of this weight across the head, not the sole....

That black with the red number just looks amazing!! I see what you mean about the comparison, I think the colour and shape just gives the impression of razor sharpness 🤔😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

My Stage One should give a bit of an impression of that.

Here is the Hogan 7 iron alongside those from a Srixon 965 set, Titleist Z-Blend, Mizuno MP5/15/25 and a heap of older Titleist blades.

It's very comparable to anything which would typically sit in the true "Players iron" category.

Club_History.jpg

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

My Stage One should give a bit of an impression of that.

Here is the Hogan 7 iron alongside those from a Srixon 965 set, Titleist Z-Blend, Mizuno MP5/15/25 and a heap of older Titleist blades.

It's very comparable to anything which would typically sit in the true "Players iron" category.

That's one impressive group there Jon

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's one impressive group there Jon

What can I say?

I bought the Wilson's when in college to play a couple of rounds with friends and then they got put away. When I decided I actually wanted to play golf two years ago I decided to go straight with "players" clubs to force myself to work on ball striking...

I started out with some 690cbs that I picked up cheaply and quickly iterated, at the same time starting to fall for beautiful aesthetics as well, so the clubs moved more towards muscle backs and pretty too.

I do think its really interesting if you look in that picture as to how different manufacturers move around the CG in their clubs to affect the launch and location of the sweet spot.

You'll notice that between the 690cb and the 690.cb Titleist started to move their CG lower.

You'll then see that from the 695 series through the ZB they, along with Srixon, bias the bulk of the weight closer to the toe, while Mizuno keep theirs closer to the centre but heel biased, which changes the sweet spot location and launch characteristics between the two approaches.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

One of the subjects already discussed in this thread is about Ben Hogan's claims that their use of weight locations in their long irons will help with a higher peak flight / stronger trajectory. That's something we're all going to be looking at in our testing.

In the meantime, here's a gentle fade on a 4-iron from a bit of practice last night.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

What can I say?

I bought the Wilson's when in college to play a couple of rounds with friends and then they got put away. When I decided I actually wanted to play golf two years ago I decided to go straight with "players" clubs to force myself to work on ball striking...

I started out with some 690cbs that I picked up cheaply and quickly iterated, at the same time starting to fall for beautiful aesthetics as well, so the clubs moved more towards muscle backs and pretty too.

I do think its really interesting if you look in that picture as to how different manufacturers move around the CG in their clubs to affect the launch and location of the sweet spot.

You'll notice that between the 690cb and the 690.cb Titleist started to move their CG lower.

You'll then see that from the 695 series through the ZB they, along with Srixon, bias the bulk of the weight closer to the toe, while Mizuno keep theirs closer to the centre but heel biased, which changes the sweet spot location and launch characteristics between the two approaches.

I did the same thing club wise and I am a better ball striker because of it.

Great stage 1's guys. Can't wait for stage 2 write ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

On 9/27/2018 at 3:33 PM, TravisClarke said:

So on my first round with the new Ft Worth irons in play I I had my best chipping day of the year. Which included a 20 yd hole out!

Travis Clarke

Good stuff, Travis.

Work for me has been crazy, so for now I've only fitted in two full rounds, but managed to get in a good bunch of range sessions.
Interesting results for me so far and I'm always interested in how well the finish is going to hold up...

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

1 hour ago, Jon Brittan said:

Good stuff, Travis.

Work for me has been crazy, so for now I've only fitted in two full rounds, but managed to get in a good bunch of range sessions.
Interesting results for me so far and I'm always interested in how well the finish is going to hold up...

That's something I'm looking for more info on, too. Black finished irons don't have the greatest reputation for holding their looks, so I'll be curious to see how you guys make out. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

32 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

That's something I'm looking for more info on, too. Black finished irons don't have the greatest reputation for holding their looks, so I'll be curious to see how you guys make out. 

Tempting fate maybe, we're only just getting into the testing and I don't want to give too much away, but I would say that so far at least the finish is holding up better than what I have anecdotally heard about other black clubs...

Important though, I think black clubs can look beautiful, but only if they stay black.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

@Jon Brittan that sound from the video though 🤤

I don't know about you guys, but looking at pictures of those irons is intoxicating.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

DBM is a completely different animal compared to every other black finish out there. Wear has been a non issue so far with the Hogan's and the same can be said with my Cobra set that I was using before

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

It’s been interesting to read the thoughts on these so far. I purchased my chrome set prior to the release of the black; as they’re essentially the same iron I have to say that the playability has been incredible friendly. For a blade, this is probably the easiest and best feeling head shaft combo I’ve ever swung.

I replaced my 4/5 with HI irons so I can’t comment on the higher ball flight as a result of the weight distribution. What I can say is that the feel and trajectory is remarkably consistent. That is my biggest takeaway and what I share with curious onlookers.

Thanks for the great reporting so far you guys.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

14 hours ago, bens197 said:

It’s been interesting to read the thoughts on these so far. I purchased my chrome set prior to the release of the black; as they’re essentially the same iron I have to say that the playability has been incredible friendly. For a blade, this is probably the easiest and best feeling head shaft combo I’ve ever swung.

I replaced my 4/5 ...

I've only had cause to hit the long irons at the range so far, but plan on getting some on-course testing, even if it's "fudging" reasons to have to hit them.

What I will say is, we've all seen from the photos now how thin the sole of the long irons is.
At the local range I showed them to the resident pro and one of the shop staff who were both immediately "Nope", too thin and scary looking. For the record, the resident pro has won just about everything going in our region this season...

I dragged them out to the range briefly and we all had a 4-iron hitting session and, from mats at least, it's a surprisingly easy club to hit. It will be interesting to see what happens if you even faintly fat a shot on turf, but from a range mat if you get it even faintly right it's nowhere near as daunting as you may think it looks.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

I've only had cause to hit the long irons at the range so far, but plan on getting some on-course testing, even if it's "fudging" reasons to have to hit them.
What I will say is, we've all seen from the photos now how thin the sole of the long irons is.
At the local range I showed them to the resident pro and one of the shop staff who were both immediately "Nope", too thin and scary looking. For the record, the resident pro has won just about everything going in our region this season...
I dragged them out to the range briefly and we all had a 4-iron hitting session and, from mats at least, it's a surprisingly easy club to hit. It will be interesting to see what happens if you even faintly fat a shot on turf, but from a range mat if you get it even faintly right it's nowhere near as daunting as you may think it looks.
I know the feeling of tiny 4i. They look scary but boy are they fun to hit and when hit well they feel so smooth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would say your resident pro and staff are spot on with their first impression. I hope they tried swinging it at the least.

I did not have as much success with the longer ones to justify keeping them in the bag. The decision to replace them was much easier when I first swung the HI irons. They were running a promo at the time of purchase.

The HI is not obnoxiously longer than the forged set and is stupidly easy to hit.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

I would say your resident pro and staff are spot on with their first impression. I hope they tried swinging it at the least.

I did not have as much success with the longer ones to justify keeping them in the bag. The decision to replace them was much easier when I first swung the HI irons. They were running a promo at the time of purchase.

The HI is not obnoxiously longer than the forged set and is stupidly easy to hit.

Any idea if the HI will eventually come in black like the irons? Would make for one hell of a combo set...

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

9 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Any idea if the HI will eventually come in black like the irons? Would make for one hell of a combo set...

Yea that would make for a very intriguing Combo set (Even with the current Ft Worth HI) but Ben Hogan needs to allow consumers to order less than 4-PW in the Ft Worth Black first

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I would email them directly. Their customer service is what customer service should be.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

IMG_6576.JPG

Much bigger difference between the Blacks and i210 than my MP-18 SC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMG_6576.thumb.JPG.acdd4edfeadf6062478a8a685a21f9d5.JPG

Ha! Quite a difference

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Heading out tomorrow AM to get another full round of 18 in with the Blacks. Debating hitting the 4 iron off almost every tee to make sure I hit these on almost all shots. We’ll see...

19 hours ago, PMookie said:

IMG_6576.JPG

Wow, that Hogan looks tiny 😵😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

On 10/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, bens197 said:

I would email them directly. Their customer service is what customer service should be.

I took your advise and emailed them. Looks like "black versions of the HI are not in our plans at this time"

Oh well

I took your advise and emailed them. Looks like "black versions of the HI are not in our plans at this time"
Oh well

Glad to see you received a prompt reply.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Archived