hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

Looking forward to seeing if these “feel like a mizuno”. I've got to echo the sentiment on the sole width of the long irons, I'm still scratching my head

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Definitely one of the parts I'm looking forward to as well! 

Yea I am still befuddled by why the decided to do that reverse sole width progression 

• Like 1

Definitely one of the parts I'm looking forward to as well!

Yea I am still befuddled by why the decided to do that reverse sole width progression

IMG_6328.JPG

Is there REALLY that much difference between the MP-18 SC and the Ft. Worth Black? Color influences how we see it, as well as the v-sole.

There really isn't that much of a difference, in a pic, on the range, on the course.

Maybe the marketing that a wider sole on a long iron is needed really is just marketing. Plus, it influences the weighting and CG location. Hogan has spread some of this weight across the head, not the sole....

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing if these “feel like a mizuno”. I've got to echo the sentiment on the sole width of the long irons, I'm still scratching my head

As I've mentioned, almost all clubs feel great when they are struck well... These are no different. I have Mizunos and they don't feel great on ALL shots.......

• Like 1

attachicon.gif IMG_6328.JPG

Is there REALLY that much difference between the MP-18 SC and the Ft. Worth Black? Color influences how we see it, as well as the v-sole.

There really isn't that much of a difference, in a pic, on the range, on the course.

Maybe the marketing that a wider sole on a long iron is needed really is just marketing. Plus, it influences the weighting and CG location. Hogan has spread some of this weight across the head, not the sole....

Yea I would say it really is that much different. Even in your picture its consistently smaller throughout the length of the blade. I have put them up against Mizuno MP-5's, Titleist MB's, CB's, AP2s, Cobra MB's, CB's and Forged Tec Blacks and it is consistently smaller than all of them in the long irons. And not just by the eye test. At the widest point in your picture, it measures out 20% smaller than the MP-18

Well the sole is part of the head. And the weight they moved around in the long irons is more indicative of trying to lower ball flight rather than rising it. If they moved more weight low in the head to raise the launch it would often result in the sole being slight wider than what you started with

• Like 2

Great stage 1's guys. Those are some pretty clubs.

Mookie, those pics in the skyscraper made me want to kiss the ground, just looking at them on my phone.

• Like 4

Love the high-quality pictures this group of testers is taking.  Good pictures take any review to the next level.  Good work so far, gents

• Like 5

Stage 1 up and ready for action!!!

Newb question, but where can we find it? Also, what does "stage 2 reserved" mean - just that it has been sent into MGS for review?

I keep checking this thread daily, love the start so far and can't get enough content on these bad boys!

Newb question, but where can we find it? Also, what does "stage 2 reserved" mean - just that it has been sent into MGS for review?

I keep checking this thread daily, love the start so far and can't get enough content on these bad boys!

First page.

Stage 2 reserved means that it will appear later. They post stage 2 reserved as a placeholder, so all of the reviews can be on the first page.

• Like 2

What GB13 said.

Stage 2 is basically our review of them after getting to put them to work for awhile and not just first impressions or a couple of range sessions.

Comment or shoot me a message if you have any questions on the Ft. Worth Blacks! 

• Like 1

Love the high-quality pictures this group of testers is taking. Good pictures take any review to the next level. Good work so far, gents

We learned from the best!

• Like 1

Terrific start gentlemen.......it sure sounds like you are very enthusiastic about the Hogan's. I must admit, they are very sexy.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

First page.

Stage 2 reserved means that it will appear later. They post stage 2 reserved as a placeholder, so all of the reviews can be on the first page.

Got it, thanks guys! I had been skipping right to the last page looking for new posts rather than down page 1. I am most curious to see how these rate on forgiveness and wear&tear. But I have a fitting next month for new irons and these are sure to be in the mix, especially at such a competitive price point. 

• Like 1

Yea I would say it really is that much different. Even in your picture its consistently smaller throughout the length of the blade. I have put them up against Mizuno MP-5's, Titleist MB's, CB's, AP2s, Cobra MB's, CB's and Forged Tec Blacks and it is consistently smaller than all of them in the long irons. And not just by the eye test. At the widest point in your picture, it measures out 20% smaller than the MP-18

Well the sole is part of the head. And the weight they moved around in the long irons is more indicative of trying to lower ball flight rather than rising it. If they moved more weight low in the head to raise the launch it would often result in the sole being slight wider than what you started with

Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pr

Great work so far boys... These have been a pleasure to read and get to know you all a bit better. Really excited for performance against your gamers and how the black finish holds up as that is always something that steers me away.

• Like 1

Great work so far boys... These have been a pleasure to read and get to know you all a bit better. Really excited for performance against your gamers and how the black finish holds up as that is always something that steers me away.

Agree, the black finish is beautiful.  Hopefully it holds up as well as Hogan claims.

• Like 1

I was ready to pull the trigger on these irons then this testing popped up and I hoped I would win, now I'm waiting to hear your reviews! Leave no stone unturned as I'm watching intently and will possibly get myself a Christmas present! Nice start

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1