hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

I've only had cause to hit the long irons at the range so far, but plan on getting some on-course testing, even if it's "fudging" reasons to have to hit them.

What I will say is, we've all seen from the photos now how thin the sole of the long irons is.

At the local range I showed them to the resident pro and one of the shop staff who were both immediately "Nope", too thin and scary looking. For the record, the resident pro has won just about everything going in our region this season...

I dragged them out to the range briefly and we all had a 4-iron hitting session and, from mats at least, it's a surprisingly easy club to hit. It will be interesting to see what happens if you even faintly fat a shot on turf, but from a range mat if you get it even faintly right it's nowhere near as daunting as you may think it looks.

I would say your resident pro and staff are spot on with their first impression. I hope they tried swinging it at the least.

I did not have as much success with the longer ones to justify keeping them in the bag. The decision to replace them was much easier when I first swung the HI irons. They were running a promo at the time of purchase.

The HI is not obnoxiously longer than the forged set and is stupidly easy to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

I would say your resident pro and staff are spot on with their first impression. I hope they tried swinging it at the least.

I did not have as much success with the longer ones to justify keeping them in the bag. The decision to replace them was much easier when I first swung the HI irons. They were running a promo at the time of purchase.

The HI is not obnoxiously longer than the forged set and is stupidly easy to hit.

Any idea if the HI will eventually come in black like the irons? Would make for one hell of a combo set...

9 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Any idea if the HI will eventually come in black like the irons? Would make for one hell of a combo set...

Yea that would make for a very intriguing Combo set (Even with the current Ft Worth HI) but Ben Hogan needs to allow consumers to order less than 4-PW in the Ft Worth Black first

I would email them directly. Their customer service is what customer service should be.

• Like 1

IMG_6576.JPG

Much bigger difference between the Blacks and i210 than my MP-18 SC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Heading out tomorrow AM to get another full round of 18 in with the Blacks. Debating hitting the 4 iron off almost every tee to make sure I hit these on almost all shots. We’ll see...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PMookie said:

IMG_6576.JPG

Much bigger difference between the Blacks and i210 than my MP-18 SC!

Wow, that Hogan looks tiny 😵😁😎

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, bens197 said:

I would email them directly. Their customer service is what customer service should be.

I took your advise and emailed them. Looks like "black versions of the HI are not in our plans at this time"

Oh well

I took your advise and emailed them. Looks like "black versions of the HI are not in our plans at this time"
Oh well

Glad to see you received a prompt reply.

I hope the reviewers can comment on what they are seeing with the progressive sole widths.  As already touched on by a few, it seems to be the complete opposite of just about every other set out there (where long irons being the narrowest and scoring irons being wider).  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I hope the reviewers can comment on what they are seeing with the progressive sole widths.  As already touched on by a few, it seems to be the complete opposite of just about every other set out there (where long irons being the narrowest and scoring irons being wider).  

Haven't had a chance to get on a launch monitor but the flight visually seems lower in the long irons for me. Not totally sure with the short irons if there is any flight difference. 

1 hour ago, DPattGolf said:

visually seems lower in the long irons for me. Not totally sure with the short irons if there is any flight difference

Haven't noticed a big difference in the flight myself, that being said I love the flight on the 6 iron 😄  

In all honesty, I've been surprised by the long irons so far. 

My usual long irons are Srixon 765s, so a bit of a cavity back with Modus 105 shafts. 

These being a very thin blade with a Dynamic Gold I was expecting to be difficult to get height with, but so far I'm surprised. Mostly off range mats, but it'll be interesting to see when I test on the rapidly softening ground here. 

Okay, it's time for a bit of an update on these irons.

There were two particularly important questions people had with these irons.
1) How well would the black finish last
2) Could we really believe Hogan that the long-irons are easy to hit high?

So, let's give you a quick mid-term.

Here's my pitching wedge, it's hit probably a little over 400 shots by this point.
This is it immediately after tonight's practice session.

IMG_20181010_223916_010.jpg

And here's that same club after a quick spit and wipe down. It still looks almost like new so far

20181010_211344.jpg

Impressive to me, so far and they remain beautiful.
Far more important to most of us, though. With those ultra-thin long iron blades, can you really trust in them to fly high? 😉

• Like 7

Okay, it's time for a bit of an update on these irons.
There were two particularly important questions people had with these irons.
1) How well would the black finish last
2) Could we really believe Hogan that the long-irons are easy to hit high?
So, let's give you a quick mid-term.
Here's my pitching wedge, it's hit probably a little over 400 shots by this point.
This is it immediately after tonight's practice session.
IMG_20181010_223916_010.thumb.jpg.45c3c592e21b4f5404a7c858ec4fde51.jpg
And here's that same club after a quick spit and wipe down. It still looks almost like new so far
20181010_211344.jpg.ef8eecbc6fa2fe846ea40655ceffda98.jpg

Impressive to me, so far and they remain beautiful.
Far more important to most of us, though. With those ultra-thin long iron blades, can you really trust in them to fly high?

Nice shot Justin Rose lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Nice shot Justin Rose lol

He uses a 5-iron, that's way more lofted and does it off soft, forgiving fairway. He's practically cheating 😉

• Like 2