hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

On 9/21/2018 at 11:09 AM, PMookie said:

The other thing I noticed was that the claim about 4* providing more consistent gapping really didn’t present itself so clearly, In-fact, I didn’t see much difference in distance between my 4 and 5 iron with the FWB. I went to a buddy’s place and hit on his TrackMan. I hit 3 shots with each club: i210 vs FWB. The distance gaps just didn’t prove to be as perfect as advertised. Now, that’s probably more Indian than arrow, but I just didn’t see these being that much more consistent distance-wise between clubs, and within hits of the same club, I definitely had greater dispersion front-to-back. I confirmed this again at the range hitting the i210 and FWB measuring distances with my SC200. I’d hit the i210 155, 155, 157, 162, then hit the FWB 164, 148, 154, 148. Probably my biggest fault with these clubs… Front-to-back dispersion. 

Great review! I wanted to mention this in your stage 1 but thought I would see how it played out. Do you think the gapping issue you wrote about in the longer irons didn't work because of the specs you built it to? What I mean is Ben Hogan spaces their long irons out in 3/4" length between the 6 & 5 and between 5 & 4 irons. This should help add distance to make up for the longer gapping. I noticed you used 1/2" increments in yours. Just curious, thanks.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Great review! I wanted to mention this in your stage 1 but thought I would see how it played out. Do you think the gapping issue you wrote about in the longer irons didn't work because of the specs you built it to? What I mean is Ben Hogan spaces their long irons out in 3/4" length between the 6 & 5 and between 5 & 4 irons. This should help add distance to make up for the longer gapping. I noticed you used 1/2" increments in yours. Just curious, thanks.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I really don’t think 1/4” would make a difference in distance. That’s the width of the stripe to the top of the grip on a club. Had I not lengthened them at all, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I really don’t think 1/4” would make a difference in distance. That’s the width of the stripe to the top of the grip on a club. Had I not lengthened them at all, yes.

First off, great, honest review. 

I do have a question on the gapping though. In your stage 2, you said you didn't hit the 4 and 5 iron the same distance. The FWB have a 4° gap from 4 to 5 iron. Most irons have loft gaps from 2 to 3ish degrees, so why did the clubs with a greater loft discrepancy have smaller gaps than the clubs with smaller loft discrepancy?  Is there hidden tech in the other clubs, i.e. thinner face in 4 iron, that the FWB doesn't have?

First off, great, honest review. 
I do have a question on the gapping though. In your stage 2, you said you didn't hit the 4 and 5 iron the same distance. The FWB have a 4° gap from 4 to 5 iron. Most irons have loft gaps from 2 to 3ish degrees, so why did the clubs with a greater loft discrepancy have smaller gaps than the clubs with smaller loft discrepancy?  Is there hidden tech in the other clubs, i.e. thinner face in 4 iron, that the FWB doesn't have?

I would think it has mostly to do with me and my inability to hit the 4 iron well. As I said in the Stage 2, I almost always just hit the 4 off the tee after awhile as I could not hit it well out of the fairway or rough. It’s small, thin, and doesn’t offer much help in the way that a lot of other 4 irons do by having a wider sole. Smallest head, thinnest sole, smallest “cavity”, least amount of offset, all factors that I think didn’t help me and my inconsistent swing. Plus, visually, it’s intimidating!

• Like 3

Putting together the photographs and details for my stage two currently.
I'm avoiding reading @PMookies thoughts so as to keep my own clarity of my views on these irons. It'll be interesting to catch up on other people's thoughts afterwards though. 🙂

• Like 5

Still finalising my write-up.
I know I asked if anyone had anything further they wanted covered, I'm glad no-one has asked for anything further...

Set some time aside in your diaries, people, I think I've written a novel. That said, I have a lot I want to say about these clubs...

• Like 3

Okay, my Stage Two is up (it's right there, click it).

I will be honest before you've even got there, I've written a novel, but I had a lot I wanted to say about these clubs and I hope you enjoy reading it.

For those who want to know my thoughts without having to read the entire story of my time with the clubs, I've added a conclusion to each section and summarised in the conclusion at the bottom.

Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to raise any questions you come up with having read what I have to say.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jon Brittan said:

Okay, my Stage Two is up (it's right there, click it).

I will be honest before you've even got there, I've written a novel, but I had a lot I wanted to say about these clubs and I hope you enjoy reading it.

For those who want to know my thoughts without having to read the entire story of my time with the clubs, I've added a conclusion to each section and summarised in the conclusion at the bottom.

Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to raise any questions you come up with having read what I have to say.

Very well written, appreciate the detail. Congrats on the most recent round and finding your new gamers!

I'm curious about how they worked for you in the rough. I'm currently using them off grass ranges and can see and generally agree with most everything you've written, but I haven't gotten the chance to use them out of the thick stuff and might not be able to before my demo is up, so any insight there would be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Very well written, appreciate the detail. Congrats on the most recent round and finding your new gamers!
I'm curious about how they worked for you in the rough. I'm currently using them off grass ranges and can see and generally agree with most everything you've written, but I haven't gotten the chance to use them out of the thick stuff and might not be able to before my demo is up, so any insight there would be much appreciated. 

I’ll give my 2 cents: from 6 iron through PW they did very well out of the rough. I never really suffered any greater than with my MP-18 SCs, or my i210s. The 4 & 5 didn’t perform as well. To me, it’s always easier hitting from the rough as the shaft gets shorter, so what I saw with FWB wasn’t any different.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

Thank you.

I think the answer to the question "how are they out of the rough" lies, like everything else in my review, balanced on a very fine edge...
It really depends on how you attack the ball. In thick rough you do best with quite a steep angle of attack, the thin sole and steep angle prevent any deflection from lumps in the surface behind the ball or impact with thicker, dried grasses. At the same time, being such a thin sole they don't move grass out of the way in the same fashion as a thicker soled iron or hybrid, they will snag more easily passing through grass and you'll have to be more conscious of maintaining control over the club-face into the ball, strong wrists are the key.

Like everything else with these irons, if you can consistently get them into contact with the ball then you'll get the results you want, but they're not going to do any work to make the game easier than it is.
If you want to be able to play these clubs and you're prepared to put in the work then you'll get everything you want out of them eventually, but they really aren't a club where you can have a day where you just switch off completely and try to get through a round with no effort.

• Like 1

It's interesting now, having read @PMookie's review that we seem to have come to very different scores, yet with different wording have come, I think, to very similar conclusions.

As I mentioned in my "On the range" section, but to cover the whole "how do these clubs perform" section, I really do feel that these clubs are a great dividing line to separate what golf even is for a lot of people.
These are not a 75s across the board club, competent for everyone, special for no-one. These are the type of club where one person will be wondering whether they can actually justify giving them a 100, while another struggles to get much above 50 if you just shoved them into the hands of every golfer under the sun.

I get my enjoyment out of golf not so much from the playing as how I play, but when I first flitted with golf one of my friends was terrible and may as well have played his entire round with a putter for all the "flight" he could get on a ball and he enjoyed just playing around on the course.
For me, I could never be satisfied with getting a good score in a round but thinking maybe it was the clubs that did half the work for me and maybe I didn't actually play all that well. I would rather walk off a course with a worse score but knowing half of what I'd tried had come off perfectly and what I needed to do to correct the rest, than to come off with a good score where I knew I'd mishit half the shots but the irons were so forgiving they'd worked out anyway.
Conversely, my friend would love a set of SGI irons that actually got the ball in the air for him, for once.

Being relatively new to the game, having plenty of energy for it, I'm the type of person who looks at the guys on TV and thinks "I want to be that good", not the people on the range around me. These clubs work and I know that on the occasions I get it wrong then it's just going to be wrong.
By the same token, if I were consistently playing competitions rather than just against my own ability, or in a few years time where I've plateaued, I could well see myself wanting something which just gave me that little bit extra, maybe not full GI, but something more AP2 instead... 

• Like 2

I’m going to chime in about the HI irons ordered separate from the sets. The longer Fort Worth irons 4&5 are not easy to hit. I will be brutally honest and say that if they did not manufacture the HI irons, I’d have no business swinging these.

I didn’t wait to add the HI irons after trying the 21*. I hit it on a single range session and halfway through I knew this could hold its own. They’re easy to hit, they’re not obnoxious looking at address and they’re priced fairly. Trajectory is super high, I think Rick Sheils nailed it during his youtube review. The ball goes up and it goes straight. Incredible easy to hit and priced far better than the competitors.

These worked for me and my budget and still allowed me the opportunity to play a great blade without hogging diaper and formula money from the house funds

I have added a photo of a head on shot on my bag. You can see that they are clearly a wider sole than the fort worth heads.

IMG_0746.JPG

• Like 4

[mention=68729]Jon Brittan[/mention], wow what a review!  Someone at Hogan needs to see all of these.

I let Hogan know mine was up via Instagram

• Like 2

I’m going to chime in about the HI irons ordered separate from the sets. The longer Fort Worth irons 4&5 are not easy to hit. I will be brutally honest and say that if they did not manufacture the HI irons, I’d have no business swinging these.

I didn’t wait to add the HI irons after trying the 21*. I hit it on a single range session and halfway through I knew this could hold its own. They’re easy to hit, they’re not obnoxious looking at address and they’re priced fairly. Trajectory is super high, I think Rick Sheils nailed it during his youtube review. The ball goes up and it goes straight. Incredible easy to hit and priced far better than the competitors.

These worked for me and my budget and still allowed me the opportunity to play a great blade without hogging diaper and formula money from the house funds

I have added a photo of a head on shot on my bag. You can see that they are clearly a wider sole than the fort worth heads.

IMG_0746.thumb.JPG.fc9f326383afd9269739cd321a236db8.JPG

After seeing how they finished in the results on MGS today, those would have been a nice addition to this set!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bens197 said:

These worked for me and my budget and still allowed me the opportunity to play a great blade without hogging diaper and formula money from the house funds emoji4.png

IMG_0746.JPG

Those look nice thanks for sharing - timely with the results of the best utility test too! I like that they are wider but not too wide. If only they came in black and you could blend the set...also seems weird they wouldn't offer down to a 18* as that would be their standard 3iron, right?

Those look nice thanks for sharing - timely with the results of the best utility test too! I like that they are wider but not too wide. If only they came in black and you could blend the set...also seems weird they wouldn't offer down to a 18* as that would be their standard 3iron, right?

Next year may bring some interesting things by way of Hogan. Steady growth has earned some more street cred. It may not be out of the question to see a black HI iron. Their model has allowed them to pace themselves and grow responsibly in a true grassroots fashion.

Now that MGS has revealed through several tests that Hogan irons are legit the demand may hopefully cause supply to respond.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

Next year may bring some interesting things by way of Hogan. Steady growth has earned some more street cred. It may not be out of the question to see a black HI iron. Their model has allowed them to pace themselves and grow responsibly in a true grassroots fashion.

Now that MGS has revealed through several tests that Hogan irons are legit the demand may hopefully cause supply to respond.

Indeed.
I think I'd likely take a Black Hi 18* in a heartbeat... Fingers crossed it comes

• Like 2

Jon Brittan, that was a well written and excellently compiled review. Obviously these are extremely well made as well as being beautiful and will reward a great ball striker.

Thank you for all the hard work 😁😎

• Like 1