hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

Okay, my Stage Two is up (it's right there, click it).
I will be honest before you've even got there, I've written a novel, but I had a lot I wanted to say about these clubs and I hope you enjoy reading it.
For those who want to know my thoughts without having to read the entire story of my time with the clubs, I've added a conclusion to each section and summarised in the conclusion at the bottom.
Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to raise any questions you come up with having read what I have to say.

That was an amazing review!

And those irons are dead sexy!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Has anyone hit the older Ft. Worth 15s and the new Ft. Worth Black/White? I am currently building a set of Ft. Worth 15 High Launch that I found 2 weeks ago new/never used. Got a great deal and couldn't say no!

On 11/17/2018 at 4:48 AM, TBT said:

That was an amazing review!

And those irons are dead sexy!

Thank you.

They really are. Given I'd already bought a new G400 driver earlier this year, it's now just a case of having to source black everything to fit around them 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/16/2018 at 8:07 PM, Nunfa0 said:

Jon Brittan, that was a well written and excellently compiled review. Obviously these are extremely well made as well as being beautiful and will reward a great ball striker.

Thank you for all the hard work 😁😎

Thank you.
It was good fun and I'm glad I did it, I honestly wouldn't have got around to trying these clubs outside this review opportunity and now it's going to take a lot to knock them out of the bag...

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:52 AM, Jon Brittan said:

Indeed.
I think I'd likely take a Black Hi 18* in a heartbeat... Fingers crossed it comes

Now if they would just make a black hi and bend it around 180* for us lefties.  Dreams will be dreams.

• Like 2

Ben Hogan Golf posted a cryptic message again today on Facebook. It only said 11.23.18 on a black/grayish background. This is the same type message they posted when they introduced the Ft. Worth White irons. I assume it means they are introducing more black irons, probably equalizers or a black shaft option.

• Like 4

On 11/15/2018 at 2:52 AM, Jon Brittan said:

Indeed.
I think I'd likely take a Black Hi 18* in a heartbeat... Fingers crossed it comes

I ended up ordering the Cobra King Forged set in 5-GW (all CB) with a Forged Tec 4i, and I'm going to also get either a King utility 2-3 or a 3i in Forged Tec in order to get the hook machine hybrid out of my bag. Between the wider soles, more shaft options, and the ability to blend the set with similar looking clubs, the Cobras won out barely. I did really enjoy my Hogan demo experience though (feel wise I think they were ahead of the Cobras, although it was very close). Hopefully they keep gaining traction and are able to expand their offerings in the future. Those black Equalizer wedges sure are tempting...

Still think these things are lovely.
Had my first "traditional" driving range session for a while on Wednesday and was just nailing targets with these.

I stand by my thoughts in my stage 2, if you can consistently nail these out of the center of the face you are not losing anything compared to any other iron on the market, they feel beautiful and if I were buying irons at this moment in time, their price structure has to be enough to get anyone thinking about it.

• Like 4

Stage 2 has been posted, sorry for the delay November has been an terrible month.  Let me know if anyone has any question or comments.  

Thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poprocksncoke said:

Stage 2 has been posted, sorry for the delay November has been an terrible month.  Let me know if anyone has any question or comments.  

Thanks!

Good going. Sounds like we had similar experiences too

• Like 1

Thanks!
Nice read, sound like great clubs. I'm thinking hard about them.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 8:57 PM, Brewmaster said:

Nice read, sound like great clubs. I'm thinking hard about them.

I think they're fantastic.

I do think the one real drawback to them is the factory direct model meaning you can't get fitted for them, which is a shame and probably the one thing that would sway my decision were I playing competition regularly and looking for my "tournament" clubs.
The same factory direct model does, however, mean these work out at about half the price you would pay for a similar iron of a similar quality from one of the big name brands, though.

As I mentioned in my review, I also think these are a "mind-set" iron. They do little to hide mis-strikes.
I recently bought myself a Tour Striker Pro 7-iron for practice use. If you've not seen it, it's a 7-iron with a strike area the same size as a golf ball and all of the rest of the face rounded away, so you have to have near perfect shaft-lean and perfect face-contact accuracy. It's an all-or-nothing practice club.
I see the Ft. Worth Black as similar in clubs and it's why I've always played player's irons, it forces you to do everything right at a cost of when you don't, it's noticeable.

If you want to aim for perfection and be rewarded for it when you get there, they're great.
If you want a club that is going to give you plenty of performance, a good look, but also iron out the very slight wrinkles in your game because you're playing competition more often than you're practicing, it might be worth looking elsewhere.
As a purist club though? 😄

• Like 3

I apologize for being MIA lately but after a super busy past month and half my Stage 2 is finally up! Don't hesitate with any questions or comments!

• Like 2

Good honest review mate, if they don't work there's no point in softening the review. Well done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

I apologize for being MIA lately but after a super busy past month and half my Stage 2 is finally up! Don't hesitate with any questions or comments!

Pretty damning when a + handicap says they aren't forgiving enough. Guess iron tech is worth something after all, even if it is just the simple perimeter weighting.

• Like 1

Dpattgolf I agree with the longer iron forgiveness. For that reason I put the HI irons in play and it’s served me well. I was seriously surprised / disappointed however to see a 55/100 score. I would hope just showing up in a box would earn them at least a C+

I’m curious just based on your critical score. Did you already love your Cobras that much that it would take nothing short of the holy grail to supplant them from your bag?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Good stuff dpatt. I continue to be confused by the sole width progression in these irons. It really makes no sense

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Dpattgolf I agree with the longer iron forgiveness. For that reason I put the HI irons in play and it’s served me well. I was seriously surprised / disappointed however to see a 55/100 score. I would hope just showing up in a box would earn them at least a C+

I’m curious just based on your critical score. Did you already love your Cobras that much that it would take nothing short of the holy grail to supplant them from your bag?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The reason for the low score was they just didn’t perform well for me. Especially compared against the claims made in regards to their performance in the manufactures marketing.

2 things in regards to “just showing up in a box would earn at least a C+“. 1) Performace is king. While looks and feel are included in the review, ultimately the review is about how they perform. Not if they looked good when I opened up the box or sitting in the bag. The fact that the clubs showed up in a box isn’t going to help me or anyone else shoot better scores.  2) Why should and above average score like that (76-79) be given to a club that has what I would consider to be pretty sizable performance flaws? Especially when the only option to rectifying those flaws is to spend even more money to replace nearly half the set? 

Finally about my Cobras. While I do really enjoy my Cobras and they have performed well for me, they are by no means untouchable and I have zero loyalty to them. At the end of the day I want the best possible performing clubs for me that I can afford. So even if they look a little funny or come from a brand that isn’t popular, if it performs, its going in the bag. The Ft. Worth Blacks had every single chance to do that and just weren’t able to deliver. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

The reason for the low score was they just didn’t perform well for me. Especially compared against the claims made in regards to their performance in the manufactures marketing.

2 things in regards to “just showing up in a box would earn at least a C+“. 1) Performace is king. While looks and feel are included in the review, ultimately the review is about how they perform. Not if they looked good when I opened up the box or sitting in the bag. The fact that the clubs showed up in a box isn’t going to help me or anyone else shoot better scores.  2) Why should and above average score like that (76-79) be given to a club that has what I would consider to be pretty sizable performance flaws? Especially when the only option to rectifying those flaws is to spend even more money to replace nearly half the set? 

Finally about my Cobras. While I do really enjoy my Cobras and they have performed well for me, they are by no means untouchable and I have zero loyalty to them. At the end of the day I want the best possible performing clubs for me that I can afford. So even if they look a little funny or come from a brand that isn’t popular, if it performs, its going in the bag. The Ft. Worth Blacks had every single chance to do that and just weren’t able to deliver. 

Fair play.