deejaid

How much has your bag changed since the beginning of the season?

Well, I know the season is coming to a close for some of our cold weather Spies so I thought I'd see how different everyones bag is now compared to the beginning of the season.

I started out the season with the only unsettled spot in my bag being my putter. I bought a High MOI Cure Putter, a couple old Pings, some nice milled Founders Club's, a Scotty Futura and had no luck with any of them.

As for irons, when I heard the Hogan Ft. Worths were being discontinued I figured I better get a set while I can, and man I'm glad I did. Love the irons and the matching TK wedges.

The woods became actual wood as my final switch of the year had me bagging some Stan Thompson persimmons.

So the beginning of the year it was

Driver- Cleveland Classic Custom XL

3 Wood- Nicklaus Air Max

Irons- KZG Forged Cavity Back 3-GW

Wedge- Macgregor Forged LRA SW

Putter- Cure

Now..

Stan Thompson persimmon driver

Stan Thompson persimmon 4-wood

Ben Hogan 23*-63* Ft. Worth irons and TK15 wedges

1950's H&B Mars 70 putter

I didn't set out to change every club in my bag this year, somehow it just happened.

So how many of you have changed the whole bag, or maybe just a few clubs?

*Edit* I just finished tuning up a set Stan Thompson persimmon woods and after taking them to the range they are now in the bag instead of the Macgregors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

My bag hasn't changed at all over the past 4 years. I just can't justify a change as everything is working great. 

(yeah.. I know. What about those KZG's  :unsure: )

• Like 1

I hit a few practice balls in a futile comeback attempt,

felt a few excruciating spasms,

had a hard time holding on with my messed up left hand,

and then devoted my time to complaining on this forum.

Didn't need to change any clubs for that.

Can't bring myself to part with all the ones that I've got, though.

• Like 2

I changed my putter from an Odeyssey White Hot #1 to a Ping Sigma G B60 which was a wonderful move for my game.

I also went from a TMAG Aeroburner 3 hybrid to a Mizuno MP18 MMC-FLI HI 2 iron. Another great move, took the left side completely out of play and added 20 yards to my consistent driving club.

It was a slow year for changes for me. Everything was just working so well.

Driver and 3W are/were on the hot seat. 3W turned itself around and now that I am doing the TGF testing, the driver is moving out soon!

• Like 1

It depends on what I use to define season.  Generally I have two seasons - league - April to October and non-league, the rest of the year.  If I use that definition the only change has been in fairway woods from the SLDR HL to whatever iteration of the Tour Exotics that I have in my bag (it seems like every fairway they make is great - I can't understand why people wouldn't start by demoing them before trying anything else). 

However if by season we mean calendar year (given that Golf is year round here)  I've changed everything except wedges (still have my forever wedges in the bag), putter and hybrids.

My iron play has experiencing a significant up tic - I'm hitting an average of 8 plus greens per round up from just below 6 and my handicap index is dropping proportionally.  Being a club longer with the new irons as well as more consistent and accurate I'm able to hit more irons in - so it's a win, win, win. 

Finally, that improvement came as the result of a fitters recommendation - the fitter worked for a different OEM than the irons that I was using or the irons that I purchased - he simply recommended a wider platform  on my 6 and 7 iron whatever brand I went with and lighter shaft throughout. 

• Like 3

Nice thread!

I haven't had too much change.

Driver has bounced around like crazy but finally settled in with the G400 with some stops along the way with a Cobra Fly Z+, Callaway Epic Sub Zero and Callaway XR16.

Had a few different appearances between 4 Iron and 3 wood. Currently have a Cobra F7 7 wood which is barely holding its spot. A old Taylormade burner is forever lurking.

Irons has stayed the same Ping i e1, with the i210 testing underway making a push.

Wedges started with Cobra trusty rusty however were over taken by the more forgiving Ping glide 2.0

Putter hasn't changed and won't be anytime soon with the Ping Sigma G Tyne.

• Like 2

Yep .. changed irons, changed the 3H for a 4W, changed the putter. Got a new driver shaft; not tested yet.

Also have taken several lessons this season and so have changed .. for the better! .. the swing.

• Like 2

Being selected as a tester for C300's they took the place of my Ping G20's this past May. My hybrids have been in and out of my bag - I'm a bit schizophrenic about them. Currently they're in and my 3 & 4i are out. They'll probably change next week.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Not too much change. Dumped the M3 Driver for a Cobra F8+ and added a Cobra F8+ 3/4 Wood. Been playing a Bridgestone Tour B RXS ball lately over the TP5x, I am loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Old

Callaway 816 DBD new. Ping g400lstec

Callaway 816 3xwood. New. Same

Call 815 Hybrid. New. Same

Mizzy mp64. New. Titleist 816 AP2

Vokey sm5's. New. Vokey sm6's

Nike Method. New. Evnroll ER3

Ogio bag. New. Sun mountain bag

So except for my 3 wood and hybrid, everything else is new...

• Like 1

Started the year by buying G700's and Rogue driver. 

added Callaway XR16 5 wood

Added Cobra 3/4 hybrid

Added  Ray Cook Mallet putter - removed ping anser2 , removed nike method , removed taylor made ghost .. been a tough year for putters.

removed Tank Chipper

Settled on a game ball Wilson Staff duo soft spin 

2 spies removed their Nike method putter. Why?

I love mine ( except for the fact that I keep losing the cover and 5 times in a row I had to go back to the pro shop to ask if it was found😀😀)

Nothing in my bag except the bag itself.

I now have 3 bags in rotation and what really sucks is that I find myself now saying

" Fudge,I left it in the other bag"

• Like 2

Three different drivers, five different fairway woods, four different hybrids, 7 different sets of irons, three sets of wedges and too many putters to count. It was a rough year for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Many changes for me as I continue to tinker & tweek my "stock/standard" gear.

Ball: Original was Bridgestone E6 Soft. New is the Snell MTB Black. This ball really performs well for me. Way better than the Red's and just as well as any PV1 I've hit.

Grips: Regripped irons 4-9 with PING 5L ribbed grips. 3w & 5w got the 5L's in round. All are white color code (std).

Driver: Original was the PING G SF TEC with Alta 55 in reg-flex. New is the PING G400 SFT with Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60, stiff-flex. It is now an absolute monster, and totally fun to hit.

3w & 5w: Swapped out the original Alta reg-flex shafts with Aldila Tour Blue 65's in stiff on both clubs. These shafts really woke these two clubs up and I rely on them many times to hit narrow fairways and get me along on those long par-5's.

Wedges: Replaced my stock iron set wedges (PW, UW & SW) all with custom fit PING Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges. I Generally hit these really well and paired with the MTB Black have all been helping my scrambling around greens.

Putter: Recent change here from my 34" PING Vault Anser 2 to the 33" PING Vault 2.0 B60. I'm hoping to improve dispersion and accuracy and so far so good. Not lightning in a bottle by any means, but after using it for several practice rounds and 18 Friday, picking up my Anser feels like holding onto a tree trunk! I really like the feel of this one...a lot!

Pending changes: New Aldila VS Proto Hybrid 80 in stiff for the 3H, and new Project X Blue graphite 6.0 (stiff) shafts for the irons. These will be done by a pro and then I'll also get the lie angles on the irons set to the correct angle for my swing. Then I can only hope this tweek will settle down my sporadic approach game which lets me down more often than not.

• Like 2

I started out the season with a bag that was all Titleist plus my Evnroll ER2. After a few new additions my bag has been invaded by Cobra!!  :P

• Like 1

The only thing that's changed for me this season are the irons, I've had 3 different sets of W/S in there. Woods, wedges, and putter have remained constant. 

Well, I had a week of golf in Houston last week and this question could be asked how much did my bag change during the week. 🤪

When the conditions are firm and windy like at my home course I play 2-4 MP FLI HI's and 5-P MP64's. Rain and soft conditions with little wind had me playing R11 3 Wood, SLDR 3H-4H and an R11 5H.

I also switched from Callaway Great Big Bertha Double Black Diamond back to Taylormade SLDR Driver.

While course conditions played a factor, elbow condition was more of a factor. The first day all was great, but on the second day I noticed I was not releasing through the ball as well. Leaving everything a touch right. Necessitating a bag change to compensate.

This weekend I will go back to the Callaway and iron set up. Unless the elbow begins to interfere.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Changes for me are:

Srixon z355 driver replaced with G400 Max. Both great drivers, wasnt looking to change but had opportunity to get a new driver so the G400 is in the bag.

Callaway X-Hot Pros replace with Wilson C300 Forged. Replaced for forum testing and haven't lost their app in the bag.

4 hybrid pulled in favor of C300 4 iron. Hitting the iron well so I left it in the bag after the iron testing.

Have swapped sand wedges a couple of time out to try different bounces when I was struggling early in the year. As of now back to original wedge configuration.

• Like 3