Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Today's Fedex with next year's rules

alfriday101

I did a quick review of the leader board and calculated what it would look like if they were using next years rules:

1.  Justin Rose             -9, -8 = -17

2.  Tiger Woods           -12,-2= -14

3.  Tony Finau               -5,-7= -12

4.  Rory McIlroy            -9,-2= -11

5.  D.J.                          -4,-6= -10

6.  Justin Thomas          -4,-5= -9

7.  Billy Horschel           -4,-4= -8

8.  Bryson DB             +2,-10= -8

(Player, score at East Lake today, starting score under new rules, adjusted score.)

Under the new rules, Tiger needs to win the tournament and the cup.  

Under the current rules:  

"If Woods wins in Atlanta, Golfweek has outlined all the other scenarios that must come to fruition for Woods to capture the third FedEx Cup of his career. The list, according to Golfweek, includes

• Bryson DeChambeau finishing tied for 15th or worse. (He is tied for 21st).

• Justin Rose finishing in a three-way tie for fifth or worse. (He is tied for second).

• Tony Finau finishing tied for third or worse. (He is tied for sixth).

• Dustin Johnson and Justin Thomas finishing in a three-way tie for second or worse. (Both are tied for 9th).

• Keegan Bradley finishing tied for second or worse. (He is tied for 27th).

*Standings through three rounds"

Feel Free to Discuss.

Gonna be tough to win the championship, but if he gets a W it will be huge for him. I'm not sure I'm all in on next year's rules/format

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

The Golf Channel did the same scenario you did. On Morning Drive yesterday morning they were already clamoring about it. It may change since the Golf Channel does not like it. Depends on mainly what Fed Ex has to say on it them being the folks with the large pocketbook 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I really like the changes. They are easier to understand and put a better emphasis on the regular season and other playoff events. It seems like the outcome is pretty similar anyway.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Definitely cheapens the event. They'll never figure out the right way to do it.

I hate the whole NASCAR “race for the FedEx” cup.

Europe does it right again.

I've got to agree with you.  I thought that handicapping a tournament was only for amateurs.   In my opinion, the Tour is trying to fix something that won't broke.   I suspect that it is trying to please Fed-ex because of the money its providing it doesn't want to share the tournament.  With the new system, I don't know how it can be considered the Tour Championship for it now would strictly be the Fed-ex championship.   In pro football, no team is given extra points in the Superbowl based on its play in the playoffs.  Yesterday, Tiger won the Tour Championship, a golf Super Bowl of sorts, while Rose won the "supposed" year long event, the Fed-ex Cup.   What exactly was wrong with that?

Yesterday, Tiger won the Tour Championship, a golf Super Bowl of sorts, while Rose won the "supposed" year long event, the Fed-ex Cup.   What exactly was wrong with that?

Justin Rose won the Fedex Cup, but yet, he lost his #1 world golf ranking.  That right there is "exactly" what is wrong with that.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Justin Rose won the Fedex Cup, but yet, he lost his #1 world golf ranking.  That right there is "exactly" what is wrong with that.

May I suggest that is more of a problem with the manner in which the world ranking is computed as opposed to any given tournament directly.   For example, should the world rankings really be based on two years of play.  People have won or lost the world ranking even when they didn't even play.  

Who is to say that anyone in the field takes the same approach in their play next year that hey did this week end especially the weekend under the conditions of next year's rules.

I get it that's it fun and/or interesting to see how things would be but I'm sure most know and understand golfers approach their round differently based on where they stand plus $15 mil vice ~11.6mil (if the same person won the event plus playoffs) is also a nice motivator

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Who is to say that anyone in the field takes the same approach in their play next year that hey did this week end especially the weekend under the conditions of next year's rules.

I get it that's it fun and/or interesting to see how things would be but I'm sure most know and understand golfers approach their round differently based on where they stand plus $15 mil vice ~11.6mil (if the same person won the event plus playoffs) is also a nice motivator

This comment is one reason I kind of like the new rules.  Yesterday we had two events being played at the same time.  Tiger had his strategy to win the golf tournament.  Rose had his to win the cup (his plan B ).  Under the new rules, Tiger wouldn't have been able to play as conservatively as he did yesterday, and Rose would have had to try to hold him off.  

There are still issues with the new rules, such as how does the tournament fit in with the WGR?  But, I'm willing to give the changes a chance to see how they work out for a couple of years.  

This comment is one reason I kind of like the new rules. Yesterday we had two events being played at the same time. Tiger had his strategy to win the golf tournament. Rose had his to win the cup (his plan B ). Under the new rules, Tiger wouldn't have been able to play as conservatively as he did yesterday, and Rose would have had to try to hold him off.

There are still issues with the new rules, such as how does the tournament fit in with the WGR? But, I'm willing to give the changes a chance to see how they work out for a couple of years.

I don't recall seeing any changes to how the event is weighted for world ranking points so I'm guessing no change there with whoever gets first place gets the same owgr points as the first place spot this year and so on

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't understand why this can't just be winner take all. In every other sport the team/player that wins the championship, actually wins the championship. The seeding, like in every other sport should happen at the start of the playoffs, then the players that make it to the Tour Championship just compete.

The Tour could add another playoff event and reduce the field from 30 to 15 and then winner take all. Having a staggered start is like saying the Warriors only need to win 2 games in finals while Cavs have to win 4 because the Warriors had a better regular season.  

How can a tournament win by any player who is given a head start be counted as a PGA Tour "win"?  In my mind that tournament will forever have an Asterisk (*) by the winner's name.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

How can a tournament win by any player who is given a head start be counted as a PGA Tour "win"?  In my mind that tournament will forever have an Asterisk (*) by the winner's name.  

I think the format is only for the Fedex Cup itself. The Tour Championship would still have a different winner

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I think the format is only for the Fedex Cup itself. The Tour Championship would still have a different winner

I thought it was for both. I thought they wanted to eliminate the awkward moment where one person wins the TC and one wins the FedEx cup.

I thought it was for both. I thought they wanted to eliminate the awkward moment where one person wins the TC and one wins the FedEx cup.

Exactly what I thought.  The playoffs get you into the top 30, but for the tour championship, the top players start play on Thursday with leads over the field.  The player in first place starts at -10, second place starts at -8, and so on.  

Whoever wins on Sunday, wins the tour championship and the FedEx Cup.  I guess if they want to call it the FedEx Cup championship by spotting the best players for the year with a big lead over the rest of the field... fine.  

But I don't see how they can count this tournament as a PGA Tour win.  How can a player win a PGA Tour event by potentially shooting a worse score than someone in the back of the field????  That's why I think the win has to have an asterisk with it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Exactly what I thought. The playoffs get you into the top 30, but for the tour championship, the top players start play on Thursday with leads over the field. The player in first place starts at -10, second place starts at -8, and so on.

Whoever wins on Sunday, wins the tour championship and the FedEx Cup. I guess if they want to call it the FedEx Cup championship by spotting the best players for the year with a big lead over the rest of the field... fine.

But I don't see how they can count this tournament as a PGA Tour win. How can a player win a PGA Tour event by potentially shooting a worse score than someone in the back of the field???? That's why I think the win has to have an asterisk with it.

I agree, but is it really a PGA tour event? Or is it just to determine who wins the FedEx cup?

Would this be called a "Tour victory" or a just a FedEx cup win?

I don't know. It seems like the eliminated the problems of the point system but added a whole bunch more.

I agree, but is it really a PGA tour event? Or is it just to determine who wins the FedEx cup?

Would this be called a "Tour victory" or a just a FedEx cup win?

I don't know. It seems like the eliminated the problems of the point system but added a whole bunch more.

It was my understanding as well, that next year there will only be one winner-the Fed-ex champion.   Accordingly, I don't know how it could also be considered the Tour Championship as well.   Because it is being handicapped, so to speak, I also don't know how it could be included in the computation for world rankings.

The top ten places in the tournament prior to the Fed-ex event will share a rather large additional prize fund.   Why not just make the tournament prior to the Fed-ex the Tour Championship, the final regular event of the year.   That would be followed by the Fed-ex tournament, a special event and would not be included in the computation of world rankings. 

It was my understanding as well, that next year there will only be one winner-the Fed-ex champion.   Accordingly, I don't know how it could also be considered the Tour Championship as well.   Because it is being handicapped, so to speak, I also don't know how it could be included in the computation for world rankings.

The top ten places in the tournament prior to the Fed-ex event will share a rather large additional prize fund.   Why not just make the tournament prior to the Fed-ex the Tour Championship, the final regular event of the year.   That would be followed by the Fed-ex tournament, a special event and would not be included in the computation of world rankings. 

I would be OK with that, but that's not how I read it. It's being called the Tour Championship.  I don't think they have determined yet about OWGR points. 

My point is that it shouldn't count as a win on tour for the player, because potentially the winner might not have the lowest score in the field, so in my mind he didn't win.  

Just think of this scenario...

Tiger has a bad year in 2019 but gets to the Tour Championship in 26th place.  He plays well, and beats Kevin Na who is in 1st Place by 9 shots but loses the tournament.  How does anyone think Kevin Na gets a W?

I've decided to just watch the tournaments and not worry about the current, new, or future rules.  None will ever be perfect and it really makes no difference to me - I just enjoy watching.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived