TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cost of New Shafts?

I definitely need to be getting new shafts soon. With me being 6'4”, my standard length shafts need to be replaced. Anyone know roughly what new shafts will cost? Will probably get new ones for 4-pw, 52, 56, and 60. Currently use the basic dynamic gold s300 shafts, and will probably get the same shaft with longer lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Probabaly around $300 just for shafts, installation will be additional.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming I also have to get new grips as well?

Here they are for a little cheaper: https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/true-temper-shaft/1019803008.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIseW8w_7P3QIVAahpCh2n0A51EAQYBCABEgID2fD_BwE

Yes, you will need new grips unless they are blown on with air, but if you are reshafting, they probably need grips anyway. I replace grips once a year.

Oh, and at 6' 4" you will probably need Midsize or larger grips.

I went thru the same conundrum mentioned by jlukes. Unless you can do the work yourself you are going to spend about $48 per club total ($20 for shaft $10 for grip 18 per club for installation) for a total investment of around $330 plus. That's a conservative estimate.

I bought 7 Dynamic Gold AMT shafts off eBay for $60, then 7 grips x $9.75 each plus glue, grip tape, ferrules, and a heating gun. Even doing the work myself I quickly approached $200 for the job.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Depending on what irons you have, it's almost worth getting new irons.

Shafts will costs around $300 and the figure in another $100 for grips and another $200 for installation.

+1

Sell or trade in what you have towards what you want is the best way to go usually.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I'd say $65 for shaft and build, per club. Grips, $10 each including installation, so $75 per club. That's what it ran me to re-shaft some irons last year, but I do my own grips and saved a good bit of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

When I replaced the lightweight stiff shafts on Cobra Bio Cell irons, I found Project X Blue 5.5's graphite for $140 on eBay for 8 shafts. Had them installed at my club for free, blew on Midsize Pure grips then gave them to my buddy for $200(cost of shafts & grips). They were 2* Flat which is what he needed. Now he beats me......LOL

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You don't to answer these questions but you should ask them lest you make a 500-700 dollar mistake.

Were you fit for those clubs/including that shaft and flex originally?

How long have you had them?

Why do you think you need a longer shaft - did your pro, familiar with your game and swing suggest it?

What issues are you having, beyond being 6'4”, to indicate that a longer shaft is the answer?

Many of not most players on tour are gaming irons with more forgiveness than the ones you are. Could that be the issue making you think you need a longer shaft?

What are your budgetary constraints? (It could be that a new set of irons properly fit represents your best value)

While Foz's experience is different it's important to note that he's been a member of his club for a while, works as a starter and runs a game there that regular brings in a good deal of revenue.

Your cost is going to be north of $500 and if you are throwing a dart here it could be money poorly spent.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how you reached your decision.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You might want to consider shaft extensions. Go to a reputable golf shop or club builder and get measured for your proper length. They can usually blow off and save your grips. It only takes a few minutes to install each extension. Once the epoxy has set they can cut your irons to the proper lengths and reinstall your grips. Since you have forged irons they can check your lie angle and adjust each club accordingly. This scenario is quite common, providing you didn't need several inches added. This would be the most cost effective way instead of re-shafting.

I definitely need to be getting new shafts soon. With me being 6'4”, my standard length shafts need to be replaced. Anyone know roughly what new shafts will cost? Will probably get new ones for 4-pw, 52, 56, and 60. Currently use the basic dynamic gold s300 shafts, and will probably get the same shaft with longer lengths.

Get fitted.

A 6'4" guy and a 5'8" guy need the same length shafts if their wrists at address are the same distance from the ground. 

The tall guy also has longer arms.

Standard lengths normally fit almost every height because of that very reason,

but we're all proportioned a little differently

and custom lengths, almost never more than ¾" different from standard in either direction,

plus fitted lie angles

take care of that.

Get fitted.

A 6'4" guy and a 5'8" guy need the same length shafts if their wrists at address are the same distance from the ground.

The tall guy also has longer arms.

Standard lengths normally fit almost every height because of that very reason,

but we're all proportioned a little differently

and custom lengths, almost never more than ¾" different from standard in either direction,

plus fitted lie angles

take care of that.

Actually now a days shaft length is really measured during a swing fitting and not just a static measurement fitting. It's about how shaft length effects delivery of the club head at impact.

Actually now a days shaft length is really measured during a swing fitting and not just a static measurement fitting. It's about how shaft length effects delivery of the club head at impact.

I'm sure that's true, jlukes.

I just know that standard length either one or two degrees flat makes most irons work for me  because my arms are a just little bit long for my other proportions and I'm a slightly flat, draw-shaped swinger. (Again with the wishful present tense.)

Metals are a pain in the ass because the lie angles are usually not adjustable.

Even with those adjustment collars, dialing in the right lie often can't happen in conjunction with the right loft and face angle.

And going short to offset upright lies costs distance as well as swingweight issues.

I still urge the major OEMs to follow Wishon and Henry-Griffitts  with custom spec options.

I think fewer redundant models and more options within the models are the way to go.

Archived