TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft suggestions based on Maltby value 4B2M

Badams69

Filled out the Maltby Shaft worksheet

4B2M 

is the assigned value my answers spit out........

If anyone else has similar (8iron/93-107mph)

Could you please advise a shaft that value recommends that has worked well for you also.

DRIVER & HYBRID are the focus.

Iron suggestions welcome as I am in the market - would help when going through a fitting.

Over the years two shafts really worked for me, although I haven't tried many (V2 and YS-6+)

My current driver is a Cobra Fly-Z+, which is not the best but works fine.

Thanks!!!

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

FW: Adams XTD Speedline 3W

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams and Callaway  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

BALLS:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

4B2M is generally regarded as "average joe" for a driver shaft and would tend to gravitate towards the 60g range mid launch area - exactly like the YS6+ which is good all round shaft, particularly in fairways woods given it's launch characteristics. The Diamana Blueboard would also be my pick - a great fairway shaft.

I was a long time user of the V2 myself and in 66g it worked perfectly for me - very stable and a lot better feel than it's 75g brother. However the 66g falls outside the 4B2M category - you would need a 55g or high launch version to get 4B2M territory. If you're looking for lower launch and lower spin, you won't find it with any 4B2M shaft - period.

To be honest, there is no real clear winner unless you try them out for yourself. If you had good results with the V2 and Gd YS6+ in the past, then I'd follow that route and stick with what works. 

I was a long time user of the V2 myself and in 66g it worked perfectly for me - very stable and a lot better feel than it's 75g brother. However the 66g falls outside the 4B2M category - you would need a 55g or high launch version to get 4B2M territory. If you're looking for lower launch and lower spin, you won't find it with any 4B2M shaft - period.

To be honest, there is no real clear winner unless you try them out for yourself. If you had good results with the V2 and Gd YS6+ in the past, then I'd follow that route and stick with what works. 

Interesting ..... because I definitely (based on some testing) need to get away from the lighter shaft range (below 70).  As I stated, - I did have some success with the aforementioned shafts but I was always having to hold back a bit.  The only one I changed from whatever the Driver had was the V2 and it was a compromise based on money and what on earth to do with some pro shop credit$$.

Last comparison of my own driver with a v2 against anything else had the ball spinning at close to 4500rpm with Callaway driver - so I switched to Cobra Fly-Z+ and got below 2800 immediately.

Maybe that was the Driver head or the shaft - likely a little of each.

*** Wondering if I put in Maltby that I want distance over accuracy/control it would seek less spin based shaft.  I love golf but really don't dip my toe that far into all the nuances of clubmaking and such.  I'd never stop researching and drown in all that stuff.

So - thanks for your input.

WITB

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

For the irons, I'd suggest looking at the Recoils. 680's if you want a lighter graphite shaft or the 95 or 110's if you want something heavier.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Thanks.

Looking more 120g and up.

115 would require a very spectacular shaft but could work.  Lighter just gets me out of control and I reserve that for my mental state while playing.

:blink:

WITB

Archived