Forum Org Change: Reviews Read more... ×
NiftyNiblick

TIME FOR A MAJOR DECISION

For the past three years, I've maintain my membership at the club despite not being able to play.

This leaves something to think about.

Playing golf, which is included in the dues, is what I can't do.

Having breakfast with the Dukes or dinner with my wife is what isn't included in the dues but what I've still been doing.

I really like hanging around there.

I even post to this forum from there once in a while.

But maybe it's time to bite the bullet.

It's not a member equity club.

I just pay dues as I would at a gym, except, of course, it's more expensive.

And I don't play golf anymore.

It's really selfish to pony up again knowing that I'm not going to play, just because i enjoy having a club membership.  It's draining money from my kids' modest inheritance. Even from the household budget, really.

But once I leave, I'll really have to come to grips, mentally and emotionally, that this part of my life is over. And I probably won't see the Dukes anymore. (Can't say that I care about most of the other members.)

I haven't absolutely decided, but I'm leaning toward admitting that this is it.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you've been there a while and have friends like that .. they might make an accommodation for you with some sort of "Social" membership?

• Like 3

I'd ask the powers that be if you can continue at some level even though you are unable to play golf. What's it going to hurt to allow you come meet your friends, have a meal occasionally and socialize. I take it you've been a member for a long time.

Give it a shot and see what they say. I'd bet they'd do it.

• Like 4

I was going with the social membership aspect too. Also most social memberships include a limited number of rounds so it keeps at least the possibility of playing golf alive.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

My club has a “Social Membership”. Member benefits with only 6 golf rounds per year, but access to all the other stuff. Talk to them because they would be stupid to lose you business and all your money when they can keep the weekly money you spend and charge you a modest monthly stipend.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Yeah, my club offers a membership without playing rights. Check that out.

All of the clubs i have belonged to had social or associate memberships. Generally a big discount, especailly if current membership includes golf.

The bigger issue is being there and knowing you can't play golf. Personally I would have a tough time with that. The friends you have there - you could easily get together for lunch, dinner, etc. Friends aren't limited to Club memberships.

• Like 1