Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Wedding Week/Golf Week-Best Grips Open/Wedding

RoverRick

Six years ago here in the virtual hallowed halls of MyGolfSpy I made a few friends. These friends were not limited to the spies I call out in this thread, but they are the ones who joined me this week in Houston at the BestGrips Open.

IMG_0401.PNG

BestGrips president Zach got married yesterday. But more importantly he had a Golf tournament. I have played golf with Zach and other forum members probably 10 times over the last 6 years in Vancouver, Tennessee (2 times) and several times in Texas. This year GolfSpyMBP, Mr. Theoo, and AetearoaBrad from the forums and I shared a house for most of a week.

Image1537752059.076627.jpg

We met several other spies or former spies and wrxers there, including TxGolfJunkie. I played 5 rounds of golf at some awesome courses with the temperatures in the 90's and humidity in the 100's. Those days that we were not soaked with sweat we were soaked from the rain and had rain delays the last 3 days.

Because of injuries earlier this year I knew there was no way I could compete distance-wise so I focused my practice on long irons. I moved my “scoring zone”from inside 120 yards to 75-200 yards. This allowed me to birdie 3 holes on Tuesday from 195-175, nearly holing out from 186.

Sadly the rains moved in on Thursday and the BestGrips Open was delayed over an hour and halted for another 30 minutes on the 4th hole. The muddy conditions really effected me and I didn't have the accuracy as when playing on drier turf. Because of the conditions the tournament was changed to 18 holes of skins. A prize for closest to the pin on a drivable par 4 and then a 5 hole shootout on what used to be the 3rd 9 at that course but they lost some holes in last year's flood.

First, we had AetearoaBrad in from Hawaii made several skins. I was playing in another group with GolfSpyMPB, we played well but no skins, but I was told Brad was awesome on the par 3's. I can attest to this as I was paired with him at other times, and he can play golf.

Mr Theoo, our highest handicapper, didn't get left out as he drove the drivable par 4 to inside 8' and won the special driver cover that was made for the winner. Sadly he did not win a skin because TxGolfJunkie also drove the green and covered him up on the score.

While GolfSpyMBP did not win anything that day, he did shoot a 1 under 71 the next day and a 74 the day after that. He, being from the Pacific Northwest is a mudder and the sloppy conditions did not bother him like it did me and Brad and Mr. Theoo stayed at the bachelor party and did not get up for the 6 am wake up.

Finally there was the BestGrips Shootout. As I said the course lost their third 9 but did salvage 5 greens and 5 sets of tee boxes. These were not necessarily the corresponding tee boxes. This made the approach shots much more difficult. That and the approaching darkness and the rain made this very difficult. Not to mention the building pressure.

They laid out the rules before we stared and about a dozen of us teed off on the first hole. I think 6 of us advanced to the next hole. Then 3 to the next. Finally, it was down to me and Mr. 59. A guy who shot a 59 at some point. It really doesn't matter when he did it. Most of us dream of just a 69. He is tough to beat. Finally, we both had a tricky 8-9 footer to move on, I made it and he didn't and....

You can watch the recording of the final hole on BestGrips Facebook account. It is pretty good viewing and Zach and Dan did some excellent commentating. Ok, I won so of course I think it's good viewing. I may account for half the views that are listed.

Other random pics of us dressed up in our wedding clothes are below.

IMG_0407.PNG

RoverRick and GolfSpyMBP (He wasn't moonlighting as a waiter, just dressed like one.)

D184773F-8F3C-4042-9E2B-E47D5349BFEE.jpgAetearoaBrad pretending he's New Zealand's James Bond

FB323C55-AC3E-4441-A90B-2A197D8F3FFC.jpgMr. Theoo getting down.

Sent from my iPad using http://r.tapatalk.com/

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

ITT Ames a lot of planning to pull off a special week like that Rick. Looks like all had fun.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

ITT Ames a lot of planning to pull off a special week like that Rick. Looks like all had fun.se

Yes it did. However, not by me. Zach asked me when I was coming and then told me the first tee time was almost 2 days before I was planning on arriving. I packed my bag and went to bed and got up at 5 am to be there for the tee time.

Theoo found an excellent house and I basically showed up and played golf.

Awesome trip.

There were lots of others there but since they don't participate here I didn't include them in this chat. I also didn't feel right about posting pics of the actual wedding or the ones of Theoo at the Bachelor Party. Although MBP and Brad and I were adamant about making the 30 minute drive and the 7:30 tee time so there was nothing terrible I could actually testify to.

RoverRick winning the shootout live on Facebook and Theoo driving the driveable par 2/2 times were highlights of the week!

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Northgate in Houston and Walden in Conroe were awesome golf courses. Walden actually kicked my butt. I was hitting my irons 20-30' right all day and was in more sand than the honeymooners will in Jamaica next week. I hit putts from all over the greens that tracked true to the hole until the last foot and then wander around like a drunken bachelor the last foot. I hit drives down the fairway only to find out I was in the wrong place have a decent shot.

It was an absolutely unforgiving course but it was a course where you think, I could have easily hit it there and could beat this hole.

However, just when I thought I was having bad luck...

I saw Mr. Theoo, whom I was paired with that day hit this shot.Image1537759128.600421.jpg

RoverRick winning the shootout live on Facebook and Theoo driving the driveable par 2/2 times were highlights of the week!

I hope B doesn't see this. You are supposed to have other highlights of the week. But thanks.

Playing well this week has been my goal since we first started talking about it, and I worked very had trying to make my “home game”travel.

I pirated most of the pics from MBP but this pic that was taken while I was busy with the shootout is one of favorites.

IMG_0408.PNG

Northgate in Houston and Walden in Conroe were awesome golf courses. Walden actually kicked my butt. I was hitting my irons 20-30' right all day and was in more sand than the honeymooners will in Jamaica next week. I hit putts from all over the greens that tracked true to the hole until the last foot and then wander around like a drunken bachelor the last foot. I hit drives down the fairway only to find out I was in the wrong place have a decent shot.

It was an absolutely unforgiving course but it was a course where you think, I could have easily hit it there and could beat this hole.

However, just when I thought I was having bad luck...

I saw Mr. Theoo, whom I was paired with that day hit this shot. Image1537759128.600421.jpg

This picture perfectly summed up my round at Waldon. And I want to play it again right now!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Looks like you guys had a ball 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Glad to hear you all had a good time. Mr.Theoo was telling us about the upcoming trip when we played in Columbus.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Nice pics - looks like a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good stuff Rick! Thank-you for sharing!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Haha thanks for the kind words Rick! Fair to say it was a mixed week for me but i think the skins format suits my inconsistent play lol

It was such a great few days, and ive been missing from the forums for some time but kudos to the MGS team for creating a platform that supports this kind of interaction. It was great to meet some guys like Rick and Sean who ive been friends with for years but hadnt ever actually met them.

Congrats again to Zach and Brittney!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived