Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Difficulty identifying and finding shafts

Hi everyone,

New member with, what I believe to be, a fairly unique question. I have a set of MacGregor Tour Classics by Nicklaus circa early to mid-80's. These are the clubs my dad gave me when I graduated college. Love the clubs and I'm going to give them to my grandson for Christmas this year. The shafts are showing their age and need to be replaced. I have not pulled the old True Tempers yet but, put a set of digital calipers on the hosels and they all measure .365". I'm assuming they are straight tip (please correct me if this is wrong) and I'm having difficulty locating any .365 tip shafts. 

I could use some advice from you guys on a plan of attack before I start pulling old shafts without having replacements. I lost my dad this year at age 94 and I'm committed to making this work as a way to continue the legacy. My grandson and my Dad were very close and I believe this would mean a lot to him. If you guys have any ideas, I have an open mind and an open wallet. Thanks!!

Mike

Hi everyone,

New member with, what I believe to be, a fairly unique question. I have a set of MacGregor Tour Classics by Nicklaus circa early to mid-80's. These are the clubs my dad gave me when I graduated college. Love the clubs and I'm going to give them to my grandson for Christmas this year. The shafts are showing their age and need to be replaced. I have not pulled the old True Tempers yet but, put a set of digital calipers on the hosels and they all measure .365". I'm assuming they are straight tip (please correct me if this is wrong) and I'm having difficulty locating any .365 tip shafts. 

I could use some advice from you guys on a plan of attack before I start pulling old shafts without having replacements. I lost my dad this year at age 94 and I'm committed to making this work as a way to continue the legacy. My grandson and my Dad were very close and I believe this would mean a lot to him. If you guys have any ideas, I have an open mind and an open wallet. Thanks!!

Mike

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

I'm assuming that you measure the inner diameter of the hosel and not the outside diameter when you got the .365"? If that is the case, your really only talking about a difference of 5/1,000" difference which can probably just be sanded away with fairly normal prepping of a .370" shaft (Which would be a parallel tip)

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I would say they are probably .370"

How you measure the shaft bore without pulling shafts is pretty much guesswork - hence your measured .365" is questionable...

Be that as it may....if you actually DO have .365" - The easiest (and most sensible) option would be to use .355" taper shaft with a shim - problem solved. The next option would be a gentle ream out to .370" - problem solved.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could cross cut .370" tips and see if the resulting taper fits - Callaway used this concept to get .363" in some of their irons. 

Or if you're planning and reshafting them anyway, just pulll the shafts, clean the bores out and get the correct measurement.

DPat and Jaskanski,

Thanks for the quick replies. I haven't pulled the old shafts yet but, measured the OD of the shaft where it met the hosel. Given both of you basically stated to measure the ID of the hosel, I think I'll go ahead and pull one of the shafts, get it cleaned out and report back in to this thread. Thanks again for the help guys. 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in what you found out.   I have decided to replace the shafts in the PGA tour clubs I found at a garage sale.  They are fun clubs to play, and will probably be around the same time as your clubs. Let me know if you encounter any difficulties pulling those old shafts as well.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

If you mic'd the shafts above the hosel ? ferrules and came up with 365 chances are the shafts you are looking for are .355

In either case you cold just ream the hosels to accept the 370 and then have a lot of options available to install if he intends on playing the clubs.

If its for a memento then staying original is better.

Lastly if you are going to replace them then pull the shaft and actually gauge the hosel to ensure you are getting the correct ones and saving a bit of time

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Archived