jlukes

JP Wedges Ends Titleist Partnership

Looks like he pulled the plug after not getting the support he thought he was going to get.

Screenshot_20180924-191309.jpeg

• Like 1

Whoa... does this mean a new “grind house” is in order?

Yea I thought his move to Titleist was a bit odd from the start with Vokey there (And his supposed successor in Aaron Dill). Considering he wasn't really getting any Tour use I totally get the decision to move away from Titleist. Curious to see if he goes out on his own or decides joins another one of the major OEM's (Maybe Cobra???) and gets the control their wedge line that I believe he wanted

Not sure this was ever a good idea in the first place.  Compete against Vokey?  He needs to get out on his own & will do well

• Like 1

it's funny.

he signed with Titleist in 2013 and I don't ever recall Titleist mentioning him on their website. can someone else validate that? Only Vokey.

Yea I thought his move to Titleist was a bit odd from the start with Vokey there (And his supposed successor in Aaron Dill). Considering he wasn't really getting any Tour use I totally get the decision to move away from Titleist. Curious to see if he goes out on his own or decides joins another one of the major OEM's (Maybe Cobra???) and gets the control their wedge line that I believe he wanted

I would all in on a Cobra JP wedge line!

It does really seem like he wasn't putting any non elite players and pocket books could afford. His stuff did look awesome!

I am glad to see this. And after reading that’s BS that They kept him away from the tour staff.

Hopefully he goes back to solid wedges instead of the spaceships. (Although cool, I liked his old stuff better).

it's funny.
he signed with Titleist in 2013 and I don't ever recall Titleist mentioning him on their website. can someone else validate that? Only Vokey.

Vokey became a brand in itself; Clearly he had no future with Titleist Acushnet and decided that he needs to take care of #1. Fair play to JP.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

7 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Vokey became a brand in itself; Clearly he had no future with Titleist Acushnet and decided that he needs to take care of #1. Fair play to JP.

Vokey was already a solid brand before they even signed JP.

I thought his multicomponent wedges looked pretty cool—I know there were a few die hard JP fans who felt he sold out.

My guess is Dill hit the gas when he saw JP come in as a usurper. Leaned on Vokey, whom he had a long history with, about how he was being cut out. Vokey starts pushing Dill with the execs. Plus Dill has a relationship with tour staff. etc...

Titleist maybe figured they owned the IP on JP's stuff anyway. JP's designs were always going to be niche and you don't just throw an established brand like Vokey away. Pro to duffer—they all know vokeys