TESTERS WANTED! ×

Who's using a shorter driver shaft length?

perseveringgolfer

I tried a 44" shaft today, Diamana Blue and was quite surprised how much shorter just half an inch feels and looks (no jokes please  :rolleyes: )

It definitely felt like I was more in control, even though the shots were a bit wayward but that's my swing just now.

I'm going to try again with it. 

I wonder if I'll lose distance and how much, or will it stay the same if the strikes are better combined with decent launch and spin.

Anyone done this already?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm a big believer in 44” in a Driver. More control and more center hits = better dispersion and longer drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

We've had this discussion ad naseum so the answer is yes. The urban myth is shorter is much better.

While I agree that many people could do with a shorter driver I'm still a huge advocate of getting fit. Of course we hear about the random tour guys who use much shorter drivers because it's news. However if you look at the average driver length on the LPGA you will find its above 45” and their swings are more efficient with driver than the guys. Something to think about.

Additionally drivers are built around stock length so weighting, cg, lie angle, all of that is determined by what stock shaft length is for that model.

I think I have a little Bryson in me in that I hate variables - just randomly putting a different length shaft or worse whacking off a bit of a shaft and sticking it into your driver introduces variables.

BTW my fitter strongly recommended that I not use a shaft that was shorter than stock even though I wanted to because he fit me for 45'1/4”. We tried shorter and found my smash factor was better with the longer length

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Getting fit is the key here.

For most, MOST people a shorter shaft is good. You will make more consistent contact and have more control. That is the main reason you can hit a 8 iron better than a driver.

Most of the time, the distance lost (maybe 2 yards) is waaaayyy outweighed in the accuracy gained.

If it feels good, and works better, then you should stick with it.

Out of curiosity, were you playing a Diamana Blue before?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Additionally drivers are built around stock so weighting, cg, lie angle, all of that is determined by what stock shaft length is for that model.

I question this a little bit, Rev.

43" wooden drivers had a standard lie angle of 55º

45½" titanium drivers have a standard lie angle not of 53º to compensate for the extra length but rather 57º.

They attribute this to graphite shaft "droop,"

My personal experience contradicts this.

This is a polite version, in fact, of my response to the degree of "shaft droop" adjustment deployed.

Getting fit is the key here.

For most, MOST people a shorter shaft is good. You will make more consistent contact and have more control. That is the main reason you can hit a 8 iron better than a driver.

Most of the time, the distance lost (maybe 2 yards) is waaaayyy outweighed in the accuracy gained.

If it feels good, and works better, then you should stick with it.

Out of curiosity, were you playing a Diamana Blue before?

no, Diamana 70g Whiteboard

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

no, Diamana 70g Whiteboard

Could that account for the feel and accuracy difference?

Were you fit for the Whiteboard?

The whiteboard should have a stouter feel than a diamana blue.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I cut 2.5" off my driver.   Mishits are still as bad as anything else, but I'm finding center more often. 

And I didn't lose anything, if anything I've gained yardage by having more confidence to swing hard and find center. 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I do. I experimented with my JPX-EZ by cutting 1" off the butt and found I was more consistent on the face and not so wild. When I put my order in for the Tour B JGR I got it cut to 44.5" and have gained distance and consistency.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Could that account for the feel and accuracy difference?

Were you fit for the Whiteboard?

The whiteboard should have a stouter feel than a diamana blue.

No, fitted myself as everytime I tried that shaft in a club it gave decent figures, and felt good. That was 2 years ago and I'm older so maybe a lighter shaft will keep my SS up.

I play every driver for the last 5 years or so at 43.5”-44” depending on the head. Some of the bigger heads make me feel like I'm too close to it. I am weird that way. Current driver is a Callaway Legacy Black 440 Japan Version shafted with an elements chrome + 5f4. It's playing 44” right now but I am toying with the thought of tipping it a 1/2”. I have never had issues with distance but the additional accuracy at the shorter length is worth a few yards if any. All that said, I am only 5'7” tall so take it for what it is worth. (The opinion of a short, fat weekend hacker!)

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

This is a timely thread as relates to my game.  

I ordered an inexpensive 42 inch driver a couple of weeks ago.  Our range is closed, but I was able to take it to the course to play a few holes with it at night.  I would hit a couple of drives with my standard driver (Fusion Heavy) and the new driver to compare on each hole.    The biggest difference was in center contact.  Most of my shots with the 42 were in the center of the club face.  I had to play around with tee height to get the most out of the new club as it has a deeper face.  By teeing the ball about 1/4 inch higher, I got great results.   

Based on the above, it seemed my good drives were equal, or so close that it did not affect club selection on the second shot.   I am definitely more accurate with the shorter driver.  I didn't lose much distance on slight mishits, but was in the short rough instead of behind a tree.  Good results when goofing around.  But how would it hold up in actual play?  

Yesterday I played 18 with my regular group and used the 42 inch driver.  With my standard driver, I hit the ball about the same distance as one of my playing partners.  Same with the 42 inch driver.  We were side by side on a number of holes.  I did miss several fairways during the round.  I figured out the problem was my ball position.  I was setting up with the ball too far forward for the shorter length.  Once I made that adjustment, I was gold with the shorter driver.  I hit the last five fairways with the short driver.  At the end of the round, I examined the driver face and I defiantly had a better grouping of ball marks around the center of the club face than I do with my regular driver.   

I have only played one round with the driver, so I hesitate to draw broad conclusions.  I plan to keep playing the short driver through the fall and winter.  I will probably try the longer driver again at some point, to see if using the shorter driver will translate into more center strikes with the longer driver over time.  If not, the shorter driver will stay for next year.  

One big benefit I can see for the shorter driver is to play it when coming back from the winter lay off, when the golf game is a bit rusty.  

I'm 6' 2" tall, if that matters.  Swing speed is around 95 with standard driver.  My Fusion was fit to me at 10 1/2 degrees.  I ordered a 12 degree in the 42 inch driver.  

I'm going to get fit over the Winter. I tried the shorter shaft. I cut 1/2" off down to 44.5". Didn't really notice anything.... control wise or distance wise. I went back to 45". Whatever is wrong isn't the shaft length... it's my crappy swing.

During my Cobra testing this summer, I played the F8+ and choked down to the bottom of the grip.. if you go through the product review you'll see by doing so I ended up hitting All fairways and drove the ball greater then ever. And I do believe that helped as I shot a personal best 78 during the week we needed to post our best scoee..

But that worked for ME..get fit and try clubs with shorter shafts and see what works for you..

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I think scientifically it's been proven the longer the driver the greater the smash factor thus the greater the potential to hit it further “if” you middle it on a consistent basis.

Interestingly, I like many of you, still possess a persimmon wood wood. Although off center hits go no where, when I middle it with the right launch angle I can hit it every bit as far as my G Driver. I believe it is 42.5 inches long.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I found a shorter length put me in more fairways. That's not scientific by any means but just by noting I hit the fairway on my scorecard. I tried several longer ( today's standard) shafts and I had no control. Not that I have that much now but it seemed to help me. And I did not loose distance that I could tell.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

Mark Crossfield uploaded this today coincidentally from Titleist...

So I have a new Ping driver.  I had a couple of extra Ping shafts from previous drivers and decided to do a little experimenting.  To make a long story short, I am now using a Senior flex shaft that is shortened 1 inch.  What I notice is that the ball flight is a bit lower (changed the loft on the driver head to accommodate that) and that I hit 2 more fairways on average than when I was using a regular length driver.  Distance off the tee is nearly identical.  Patterning the driver face using clear tape shows that I am hitting the ball much more consistently..and much closer to the center of the club face.  My thought is that hitting that ball in the center of the face is key and doing that with a shorter shaft is easier for ME.  I may try some additional experiments with regular length shafts and see if I can get the ball in the center of the face with one of them.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

Using a 44" and have lost some distance, as expected, but seeing less of my big miss now.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

This was the best thing I did to get of the tee. Put standard 3 wood length in my driver and more consistently hit it straighter and just as far 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Yep another one here

Could not hit a driver well so took it out of the bag two seasons ago and have been using a 42" mini driver (14°).

Did have a driver fitting earlier this year, and after picking a shaft we then tested the same one at -1" shorter - my results showed a better dispersion pattern with a negligible drop in average distance. Oh, and a slightly improved smash factor, too .. indicating I was hitting at or near the center more often.

I'm also only 5' 7" and just feel more comfortable with shorter clubs.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Interesting findings today.

Went out with a Ping G400 Max with a 45.5" shaft and also I put a 44.5" Diamana in my own Titleist 910D3 head

The Ping was exceptional (when hit correctly) but it also gave me some high spinny fades that werent all that long.

On one hole I hit 3 Ping G400 Max's and 3 Titleist D3's with the shorter shaft. All shots were within a yard of each other distance wise but the Ping was right and left, the short shaft was 3 on the fairway.

I'm going to play the short shaft for games this Saturday and Sunday so we'll see how it performs under pressure.

I tried a shorter shaft in my G400. Played it at 44.5 instead of 45.25. Had a few ok rounds with it but could never get it dialed in. Went back to the stock 45.25 playing length and have never looked back since.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Just got fitted into a Ping G400 LST with the 44.5 inch shaft. It's the same length as the shaft in my Callaway Fusion but the Ping is stiff not regular.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Saturdays game over and so far it's been really good off the tee. Drives are consistently better face contact- I used to get a few heely strikes and glancing blows - I didn't hit all fairways but a miss was in the first cut or just in the second.

In Game of thrones they name their swords, I'm considering naming my new shaft/head combo as "The Fairway Finder"  B)  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Lets see what Sundays game on a windy Links course brings.

Well, the fairway finder continues to find fairways. Not only that but the strikes are out the centre and they are high and long.

Confidence is high with the big dog now- holes I would hit 4 wood or hybrid are now driver country, aim down the left and get a long high fade back to the fairway. 

This game is so much better hitting 2nd shots from the short stuff.

Think I missed 2 fairways today with driver, a new PB for me😁

• 8 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Well, the fairway finder continues to find fairways. Not only that but the strikes are out the centre and they are high and long.

Confidence is high with the big dog now- holes I would hit 4 wood or hybrid are now driver country, aim down the left and get a long high fade back to the fairway. 

This game is so much better hitting 2nd shots from the short stuff.

Think I missed 2 fairways today with driver, a new PB for me😁

Like all good things in life, they must come to an end.

My lessons with the pro is turning my poor swing/fade into a draw and more consistent strikes. So I'm giving him back the 44.5" shaft and will be using the stock 45.25" shaft on my new driver when it arrives.