TESTERS WANTED! ×

Who's using a shorter driver shaft length?

perseveringgolfer

I continue the use what my fitter recommends. Right now it’s 45.25”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I cut 2.5" off my driver.   Mishits are still as bad as anything else, but I'm finding center more often. 
And I didn't lose anything, if anything I've gained yardage by having more confidence to swing hard and find center. 

Which end did cut off, butt or tip?

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

22 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Which end did cut off, butt or tip?

Butt end.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

How many of you who use the shorter length have not adjusted the swing weight back to specs?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

How many of you who use the shorter length have not adjusted the swing weight back to specs?

I didn’t on my last 3 drivers. They were a Tour Issue M3, Mizuno ST190G, and current G410. However the head weights were all already 204-206g without adapter when I got them. Normally if a head is below 200g I will add weight to them but I never do check to make sure it is back to specs. Since I don’t have a swing weight scale I just go by feel. I have found over the years though that my sweet spot is 202-206g head weight.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

I didn't in my Mizuno or the Bridgestone and I never really noticed any difference. I'm now choking down 1 - 1 1/4" on the M5 and am finding the centre of the face a whole lot more often, but I'm undecided if I'll actully cut the shaft down or not.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I experimented this season with choking down approx 1" on my XR w/ 10.5 head (46" stock) and noticed much tighter dispersion of contact location on the club face across multiple range sessions and a few round on the course. Not to mention, I felt that I had the ability to make faster, more aggressive swings without losing control of the ball.  

I finally committed and cut it down and then played a round or two with no swing weight adjustment. It felt a bit lighter with no major performance impacts, there were a few big pull hooks which were my most penal miss. As a result I added some lead tape to bring the head weight back up favoring the toe side to promote a fade and reduced the loft by 1 to 9.5 degree (which was closer to the 9 degree heads I hit at Titleist and Callaway demo days).

No regrets up to this point and shot scope shows my P-Avg driver distance up 7 yards with the driver so far this year (266 vs 259). I am 6'2" and iron fittings usually yield +0.5" length so I consider a 45" driver on the shorter end of the spectrum. Also clocked a few of my longest ever drivers this year at 315 and 307 yards on shot scope one while choking down and one with the shorter shaft. (Both were with ~3 club tail winds.) 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I've replied in this previously that I cut down the driver shaft on my previous weapons and it worked for me. With my new TM M5 I'm gripping down before committing to get the Dremel cutoff wheel out. But, at this stage, gripping down about an inch is having dramatic effect on my dispersion with no loss and even a little gain in distance.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I played a 44.5” driver as long as I can remember; Close to 20 years.

When I tried my G400 I wanted to try something longer and settled at 45”. I know the value of playing a shorter length driver but I’ve had no reason to shorten it up.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I played a 44.5” driver as long as I can remember; Close to 20 years.

When I tried my G400 I wanted to try something longer and settled at 45”. I know the value of playing a shorter length driver but I’ve had no reason to shorten it up.

Cleveland

• 4 weeks later...

Was using a 45.50 driver, purchased my Cobra F9 at 44.75 and all I can say is WOW! I am hitting it longer because I am finding the center more often AND this Cobra F9 has to be the best driver I have ever used.  Swing speed has picked up a few mph and being in places I have never been in the fairway has boosted my confidence, so all around a win win situation.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

I cut an inch off my Callaway Flash and it works great a 44.5

Cleveland

I was hitting my 3 wood better than driver fairly consistently so, rather than mess with my existing 3 wood I got another the same off eBay and swapped shafts with my driver.

So I now have a choice between a 2" shorter driver and 2" longer 3wood.  So far the driver is doing well, not lost distance, gained if anything, and more accurate.

I need to do more evaluation, but so far shorter driver seems better for me than 'standard'.

Every time a thread like this one comes up or revives I feel compelled to jump in and ask if your fitter made this recommendation?

Drivers are designed with the shaft they have in them. Cut the shaft, impact the club’s integrity.

Also what if your swing is better suited to a longer shaft?

I will grant that there are a number of guys who haven’t been fit who will benefit from a shorter shaft - and probably weaker - in their driver.

But to do it because it worked for a buddy or you ready an article (that was 10 years old) is a mistake. Your swing is not theirs.

If it means anything the trend on tour is towards longer shafts in the driver.

Good luck to those who have cut theirs. IMO gripping down is the much better move - seeing a fitter first, the best move.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

10 hours ago, revkev said:

Drivers are designed with the shaft they have in them.

Not so sure about that Rev. Haven't you ever changed a shaft in a driver head? I have and I know you have too. I switched the shaft that came stock in my EXS because I hated it. Swapped it out and the driver became a winner. I think the heads are designed and then a selection of shafts are offered to hopefully suit a wide audience. Shafts and heads are interchangeable. You just have to find the right combination is all.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Not so sure about that Rev. Haven't you ever changed a shaft in a driver head? I have and I know you have too. I switched the shaft that came stock in my EXS because I hated it. Swapped it out and the driver became a winner. I think the heads are designed and then a selection of shafts are offered to hopefully suit a wide audience. Shafts and heads are interchangeable. You just have to find the right combination is all.

Of course I have and it’s always been a mistake unless there was a fitter involved. :)

I’m only giving advice that I’ve learned from my fitters and fittings - stuff like - “Stuff like should we cut the shaft?” “Why, I fit you for that length. We ordered it at that length. Change it at your own risk.”

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 12:29 PM, revkev said:

If it means anything the trend on tour is towards longer shafts in the driver.

Average driver length on tour 44.5"

Average driver length in shops 45.5"

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

My Friday morning 2 cents....

I've thought a few times about shortening my over all driver length but never have. I'd like to take for example by old SLDR now that I've switched to the Exotics EXS and experiment with it and just see what happens. My EXS measures 45.25". I know this is heresy in a forum like this but I've never been fit for a driver. "Gasp!!" Every other club in my bag including putter - yes, fit. My old and beloved SLDR was stock and so is my EXS - although I did swap out the stock EXS shaft with the one that was in my SLDR and made some basic adjustments to the settings, etc.  The EXS is a winner for me due entirely to the shaft swap and finding the correct settings. I'm certainly not against being fit for a driver and think people should be fit in most cases if possible/available. Why not? But it's not - in my book an absolute. I think irons demand more in the way of fitting than a driver because irons are not self adjustable like a driver and the shafts can't be swapped on the fly. Anywhooo....

Have a great weekend! 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Went through a fitting at True Spec a couple of weeks ago. My Flash is 45.5" standard. True Spec uses 45" as their standard. After going through multiple shafts we found one that works at 45". First round with it last night and I centered 90% of my drives. It feels different during the swing but right now I feel that I can be more aggressive with it and at .5" shorter it shouldn't cost me distance. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:04 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

Average driver length on tour 44.5"

Average driver length in shops 45.5"

I don't think that average tour length is true anymore - I think that was the case 5 years ago - for example go through the Ping Tour Staff's driver length and you will see the average at about 45.25".  It has come up over the past several years. 

Ultimately the proper thing to do is to be fit for length anyway - there are clearly players who benefit from a longer driver shaft and they aren't always whom you think they are.  Additionally if you get fitted adjustments can be made to the driver head so that it plays to the proper swing weight. 

Just lopping an inch off of the shaft of a $500 club seems like a potentially costly proposition. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:31 AM, PlaidJacket said:

My Friday morning 2 cents....

I've thought a few times about shortening my over all driver length but never have. I'd like to take for example by old SLDR now that I've switched to the Exotics EXS and experiment with it and just see what happens. My EXS measures 45.25". I know this is heresy in a forum like this but I've never been fit for a driver. "Gasp!!" Every other club in my bag including putter - yes, fit. My old and beloved SLDR was stock and so is my EXS - although I did swap out the stock EXS shaft with the one that was in my SLDR and made some basic adjustments to the settings, etc.  The EXS is a winner for me due entirely to the shaft swap and finding the correct settings. I'm certainly not against being fit for a driver and think people should be fit in most cases if possible/available. Why not? But it's not - in my book an absolute. I think irons demand more in the way of fitting than a driver because irons are not self adjustable like a driver and the shafts can't be swapped on the fly. Anywhooo....

Have a great weekend! 🏌️‍♂️

These are actually interesting points - but in the end you are fit for driver - its self fit to obtain your desired results but fit never the less -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

34 minutes ago, revkev said:

These are actually interesting points - but in the end you are fit for driver - its self fit to obtain your desired results but fit never the less -

PlaidFit.. 😎

I took 1” off my driver and a half inch off my three wood. Hit them both much better!

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

27 minutes ago, Middler said:

Comparing to tour players isn’t always wise. Few of us have capabilities anywhere near those guys and girls.

A normal set of clubs will range from about 45” to 35.5” with irons in 1/2” increments. It’s typical for almost every player to constantly adapt to different club lengths without a problem. And choking up is something you see pros do for a variety or reasons, they know it alters swing weight. 

A shorter driver will increase center strikes for most amateurs, so a shorter driver, ideally with swing weight adjusted, could easily result in more distance and accuracy than a longer driver. Me, I choke up a little when I’m missing too many, and play full length otherwise.

Being fit for iron club lengths is fine, mine are +1/2”, but you could argue it only matters with your shortest iron. E.g. how can your 3 thru 9 iron be too short if you can hit your wedge which is shorter still? How can your longest iron be too long, yet you hit woods that are considerably longer. I’m all for fitting, but we amateurs get carried away with it sometimes...our inconsistency comes from all sorts of flaws that have little or nothing to do with the clubs.

A low single digit player or certainly tour player could grab an iron out of your bag, hit a few shots and have your dropping ya jaw like a baby bluebird at supper time.  They could definitely hit out anyone's bag and put on a display of ball striking.  Makes you wonder huh?

Cleveland

All of my clubs are custom fit. I've always had custom fittings done when I'm investing in new clubs. Including my wedges and putter. I've even put a number of balls to the on-course testing this season since mid-January and I continue to play the Srixon Z Star for best all around ball for my game.

My driver is a 43.5" shaft length (custom fit shaft flex as well). I'm making consistent center-face strikes and carrying good distance off the tee consistently as well, so I'm quite happy with my current set up.

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway B21 9.5 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / 3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Hybrid: Callway BB Alpha 815 @ 20 Degrees / Speeder 865 Shaft / Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 08 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 08 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Odyssey.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C130.
Carry Bag: Big Max.

My experience is a yes with a no.

When I was fit, first by a fitter from Ping, and then, a fitter who is not affiliated with any company; both indicated that I go with the standard length for the type of shaft I decided was best for me and the type of club.  As I play an SR, senior graphite, I have not made any type of length changes, ever. and I have good results to date,

I do not play clubs with the same length of all clubs.

As I have worked with my coach, he noticed I seem to naturally choke up a bit, at times, on many of my weapons. For example, over the years, he noticed I seem to choke off or use full length with my driver.  Wind conditions, rain, and such were factors that modified the length by choke or no choke.

But he did not teach the to me.

Over coffee, it seems, I learned this when I started golfing, using steel shafts and blades.  It seems to be something ingrained in me that I have come back to use after decades off.

Final suggestion was NOT to change shaft lengths as the 1/4 inch or so I changed did not demand newer shafts.

So far, this helps.  Perhaps as I am now an older fart golfer, shaft length changes could open newer problems.

Bottom line, I play shorter or full on length depending on weather or shot needs.  Full length allows me more options.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I've been using a TM Original One Mini Driver for a couple months now.  It was a bit of an indulgence as I didn't plan to spend that much but the 20% off coupon helped.  When I address the ball with a 45.5" driver, the ball feels like it's a mile and a half away from me.  When I address the ball with my Mini Driver, it feels like it's the "right" distance from me.  Maybe it's a mental thing but I am way more comfortable with it at address and therefore more confident with this driver.  It hasn't been a silver bullet. Make a terrible swing and the ball still ends up in the next zip code over.  I actually enjoy hitting this driver though.  Sometimes that can be more important. 

43.5" here.  Its a fairway finder and I love how people laugh when I pull a persimmon wood out of my bag but arent laughing when I pound it down the middle of the fairway.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X