perseveringgolfer

Who's using a shorter driver shaft length?

Yep another one here

Could not hit a driver well so took it out of the bag two seasons ago and have been using a 42" mini driver (14°).

Did have a driver fitting earlier this year, and after picking a shaft we then tested the same one at -1" shorter - my results showed a better dispersion pattern with a negligible drop in average distance. Oh, and a slightly improved smash factor, too .. indicating I was hitting at or near the center more often.

I'm also only 5' 7" and just feel more comfortable with shorter clubs.

• Like 6

Interesting findings today.

Went out with a Ping G400 Max with a 45.5" shaft and also I put a 44.5" Diamana in my own Titleist 910D3 head

The Ping was exceptional (when hit correctly) but it also gave me some high spinny fades that werent all that long.

On one hole I hit 3 Ping G400 Max's and 3 Titleist D3's with the shorter shaft. All shots were within a yard of each other distance wise but the Ping was right and left, the short shaft was 3 on the fairway.

I'm going to play the short shaft for games this Saturday and Sunday so we'll see how it performs under pressure.

• Like 6

I tried a shorter shaft in my G400. Played it at 44.5 instead of 45.25. Had a few ok rounds with it but could never get it dialed in. Went back to the stock 45.25 playing length and have never looked back since.

• Like 2

Just got fitted into a Ping G400 LST with the 44.5 inch shaft. It's the same length as the shaft in my Callaway Fusion but the Ping is stiff not regular.

• Like 3

Saturdays game over and so far it's been really good off the tee. Drives are consistently better face contact- I used to get a few heely strikes and glancing blows - I didn't hit all fairways but a miss was in the first cut or just in the second.

In Game of thrones they name their swords, I'm considering naming my new shaft/head combo as "The Fairway Finder"  B)  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Lets see what Sundays game on a windy Links course brings.

• Like 4

Interesting enough I choked down maybe an inch. Started hitting these great draws. This maybe my new swing until something else changes

• Like 3

Interesting enough I choked down maybe an inch. Started hitting these great draws. This maybe my new swing until something else changes

Well, the fairway finder continues to find fairways. Not only that but the strikes are out the centre and they are high and long.

Confidence is high with the big dog now- holes I would hit 4 wood or hybrid are now driver country, aim down the left and get a long high fade back to the fairway. 

This game is so much better hitting 2nd shots from the short stuff.

Think I missed 2 fairways today with driver, a new PB for me😁

• Like 6

On 9/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Well, the fairway finder continues to find fairways. Not only that but the strikes are out the centre and they are high and long.

Confidence is high with the big dog now- holes I would hit 4 wood or hybrid are now driver country, aim down the left and get a long high fade back to the fairway. 

This game is so much better hitting 2nd shots from the short stuff.

Think I missed 2 fairways today with driver, a new PB for me😁

Like all good things in life, they must come to an end.

My lessons with the pro is turning my poor swing/fade into a draw and more consistent strikes. So I'm giving him back the 44.5" shaft and will be using the stock 45.25" shaft on my new driver when it arrives.

• Like 2

I am using a Callaway Mini 1.5, it is going up for sale soon.

Hopefully a driver fitting is in my future.

I continue the use what my fitter recommends. Right now it’s 45.25”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I cut 2.5" off my driver.   Mishits are still as bad as anything else, but I'm finding center more often. 
And I didn't lose anything, if anything I've gained yardage by having more confidence to swing hard and find center. 

Which end did cut off, butt or tip?

22 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Which end did cut off, butt or tip?

Butt end.  

How many of you who use the shorter length have not adjusted the swing weight back to specs?

How many of you who use the shorter length have not adjusted the swing weight back to specs?

I didn’t on my last 3 drivers. They were a Tour Issue M3, Mizuno ST190G, and current G410. However the head weights were all already 204-206g without adapter when I got them. Normally if a head is below 200g I will add weight to them but I never do check to make sure it is back to specs. Since I don’t have a swing weight scale I just go by feel. I have found over the years though that my sweet spot is 202-206g head weight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

I didn't in my Mizuno or the Bridgestone and I never really noticed any difference. I'm now choking down 1 - 1 1/4" on the M5 and am finding the centre of the face a whole lot more often, but I'm undecided if I'll actully cut the shaft down or not.

• Like 1

I experimented this season with choking down approx 1" on my XR w/ 10.5 head (46" stock) and noticed much tighter dispersion of contact location on the club face across multiple range sessions and a few round on the course. Not to mention, I felt that I had the ability to make faster, more aggressive swings without losing control of the ball.  

I finally committed and cut it down and then played a round or two with no swing weight adjustment. It felt a bit lighter with no major performance impacts, there were a few big pull hooks which were my most penal miss. As a result I added some lead tape to bring the head weight back up favoring the toe side to promote a fade and reduced the loft by 1 to 9.5 degree (which was closer to the 9 degree heads I hit at Titleist and Callaway demo days).

No regrets up to this point and shot scope shows my P-Avg driver distance up 7 yards with the driver so far this year (266 vs 259). I am 6'2" and iron fittings usually yield +0.5" length so I consider a 45" driver on the shorter end of the spectrum. Also clocked a few of my longest ever drivers this year at 315 and 307 yards on shot scope one while choking down and one with the shorter shaft. (Both were with ~3 club tail winds.) 

• Like 1

I've replied in this previously that I cut down the driver shaft on my previous weapons and it worked for me. With my new TM M5 I'm gripping down before committing to get the Dremel cutoff wheel out. But, at this stage, gripping down about an inch is having dramatic effect on my dispersion with no loss and even a little gain in distance.

I played a 44.5” driver as long as I can remember; Close to 20 years.

When I tried my G400 I wanted to try something longer and settled at 45”. I know the value of playing a shorter length driver but I’ve had no reason to shorten it up.