TESTERS WANTED! ×

Replacing driver/fairway/hybrid head weights-lighter or heavier?

Checking in to see if any of my fellow spies have experience with changing out removable head weights.

Are these weights mainly designed to "balance" the club weight like if you have a heavier shaft you'd put a lighter weight in, or is there something more to them? Better feel, higher or lower swing-speed adjustments? Looking for advice.

I bought a set of weights for my G400 driver. They range from 3g, 5g, 7g, 9g, 11g & 13g. My driver is the SFT (Straight Flight Technology) and the factory installed 7g weight is positioned with bias toward the heel to assist with straightening out fades and slices. I've had limited time to play with these thus far and have only tried the 3g & 13g to see if there would be any noticeable difference from one extreme to the other. Initial impressions for me were that 13g was way too heavy and didn't seem to help with distance or control. I was hoping the added mass would do something more positive. With the 3g one in, it seemed to liven things up to the good with longer hits and straighter in general. I'd have thought the heavier the weight on this head would enhance the built-in anti-slice characteristics of my head. Perhaps I have that thinking backwards...?

Any input would be most appreciated and thank-you as always for reading!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Changing weights is going to 

1) Change the mass of the head - depending on how fast you swing, adding weight can actually increase ballspeed (assuming that you don't' swing any slower with the additional weight)

2) Alter swing weight - increasing mass will increase swing weight.  Changing weight may alter your delivery of the club in terms of angle of attack,  out in/in out, and even can potentially alter swing speed.  How changes impact the swing will vary from golfer to golfer

3) Alter CG - if you increase the mass at the back of the club, it will bring the CG slightly further back, which would technically increase launch as well as increase the closure rate (make more draw-biased).  CG forward = lower launch, lower spin, slower closure rate (fade bias).  CG back = higher launch, higher spin, and faster closure rate (draw bias)

On the SFT, the heavier weight should promote more draw bias. Putting the lighter weight in the toe moves the COG more towards the toe thus eliminating some of the draw bias.

Adding or taking away wieght has an effect on swingweight too.

This is mostly a feel thing but a higher swing wieght (heavier weight in head) puts more force on the ball. Think, F=MA.

Force (which in his case equates to more ball speed) equals Mass times Acceleration. More mass means more force.

This would be recommended for a player with ample swing speed.

On the flip side of the coin, more mass means you can't swing the club as fast. Hence a slower swing speed player would use a lighter weight. This allows them to get more swing speed at the sacrifice of wieght.

Changing weights is all about finding the "Goldilocks zone" that works best for you.

I hope you could follow my ramblings.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I’ve done it with a couple of my Wilson clubs. My F5 hybrid has a tendency to hook left, so I threw a heavier weight in the bottom to help keep the face open a little longer. I switched shafts to something heavier and stiffer, so the standard weight may come back in.
With my F5 driver, I was missing more right (bad swing, not the club’s fault) so I threw the lightest weight in and it helped me square up a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

11 hours ago, geez2323 said:

Common use is to get the desired swing weight for the club when fitting a driver, shaft, grip.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I kinda had a feeling that was more the case than anything else, thanks!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

• 2 weeks later...

Had to go look up the driver. Just my opinion.

The tungsten weight in the back is competing with the removable weight. The more weight added could pull back the CoG a bit to make the club feel more lofted and less active while allowing the club to hang a bit open at impact.  Where the lighter weight pushed the CoG forward and having the opposite affect. Again I would be guessing the 7g weight is the one designed to be installed for most golfers and off the rack models. Where the other weights tweak for feel, slight directional control changed ETc.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

6 hours ago, McGolf said:

Had to go look up the driver. Just my opinion.

The tungsten weight in the back is competing with the removable weight. The more weight added could pull back the CoG a bit to make the club feel more lofted and less active while allowing the club to hang a bit open at impact.  Where the lighter weight pushed the CoG forward and having the opposite affect. Again I would be guessing the 7g weight is the one designed to be installed for most golfers and off the rack models. Where the other weights tweak for feel, slight directional control changed ETc.

Awesome stuff, thank-you! I've been playing my driver with the 3g weight in it to some success so far. I'm continuing to tinker though and will step up to the 5g, then back to 7g if needed. Anything above that seems to not do so well for me. What you described makes total sense and seems to jibe with my findings so far. Thanks!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

• 1 year later...