revkev

Distance Issue

The ball park that i went to has a crazy set of ground rules.

Does it have "catwalks," Rev?

We're adding them to Fenway nest season--gotta stay with the times.

Such a non issue for everyone outside of touring professionals. These chuckleheads are going to destroy recreational golf.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I took both surveys. On the USGA survey on the open ended question about how I thought distance would effect me in the further, I stated “ Shortening distance through equipment mandates by the USGA and R&A would ensure I never spent another dime that went to either of these organizations.”

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

When the talk of bifurcation comes up, like rev, I think of baseball. The difficulty, in my mind, if they bifurcate is enforcement at the am level. When I used to play beer-league softball, the leagues we played in specified the maximum COR (or whatever term they used for it, I don't recall) that could be used and it was up to the umpires to enforce it. For golf, I believe that becomes even harder to enforce and to try to tell players they need to go drop more money on new clubs if they want to play in a competition. I'm sure the OEM's don't want bifurcation with the amount of development costs involved, especially if you can't market the next great thing as the same club Tiger hits.

Rolling back equipment across the board is a bad idea, IMO. I generally don't struggle much for distance just yet, but losing 20-30 yards would suck and I don't think a 5% drop really accomplishes what they seem to be trying to do.

My personal feeling, which I've seen here a few times, is they need to narrow and slow the fairways and grow the rough so if Rory decides to try to pound a driver, there is a greater risk of ending up in a bad spot for a miss. Make it require a GREAT shot to end up in his desired position.

• Like 5

Although that's sorta an empty threat since I have already done this because of their previous rulings.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I am sick of this distance debate. Maybe because I am a younger guy and a newer golfer. The USGA seems to care way to much about the courses and old traditions. The venues don't make the game (at least in my book). There is a reason the three point line has been extended in basketball. I'm sure similar things have happened in other sports. Most games seem great with evolving and changing, but tradition steeped golf is slower than the others.

• Like 3

I have said this before. If the USGA rolls back the ball the ball manufacturers will go broke. There are literally billions upon billions of balls meeting today's standards out there. Most golfers play exactly like Rev stated as in they do their own thing and play by their rules. I for one am not going to switch to a declawed ball no way.

And Rover Rick i have not renewed my membership with the USGA for over 5 years now. This is one fat redneck that they will not get a red hot cent off of either.

• Like 4

I have said this before. If the USGA rolls back the ball the ball manufacturers will go broke. There are literally billions upon billions of balls meeting today's standards out there. Most golfers play exactly like Rev stated as in they do their own thing and play by their rules. I for one am not going to switch to a declawed ball no way.

And Rover Rick i have not renewed my membership with the USGA for over 5 years now. This is one fat redneck that they will not get a red hot cent off of either.

What is the reason the PGA isn't involved with USGA? I know there was debate years ago about the PGA having their own set of rules for their tournaments.

Bifurcate and be done with it. Jesus, it's not that hard. One set of rules for professional and elite amatuer (USGA Championships and College), one for the rest of us. 

• Like 2

I also took the surveys. Last week I think? Anyway...

I recall having a couple of opportunities to type in some extended comments. Basically both times I said something to the effect; that the pros need to play long courses, the fairways are too fast and need to be raised slightly, grow the rough, narrow the fairways, and corn-row the bunkers. (bunkers - and that means they stay corn-rowed during a tournament.) I also mentioned fitness (which is a good thing) as a factor.  I also said that I felt the pros could play most any course with a driver, wedge, and putter. That's not golf !! Not where I play that is.

With direct marketing gradually becoming the norm, I can see club makers offering blatantly non-conforming equipment to the public, only now, I can see it becoming mainstream.

Don't just go by golf forum contributors. 

Most of the people with whom I played loved golf but couldn't care less about the PGA Tour stars. 

And certainly couldn't care less about playing the same equipment as the pros.

Half played with whatever equipment complemented their individual games the most and let them play their best

The other half didn't care about equipment at all

and bought new gear when too many clubs from their present set were broken.

I occasionally played with three guys--Mike, Pio, and Peter-- who had a grand time on the course but never bothered to keep score.

Too high COR faces,

cover shredding grooves,

hot, 1.62" golf balls,

and whatever number of clubs fit in the bag

could all become commonplace

and then we'll have two completely different sets of recreational players

whose paths may hardly ever cross at all

because the serious players will still be around as well.

Trifurcation???

Maybe a new, less traditional-thinking sanctioning body will rise up to challenge the USGA for course and player affiliations.

Or, golf participation will continue to decline and none of this will happen.

Who knows?

• Like 1

Bifurcation would be the worst thing IMO for golf. It would increase the cost of everything and move more people away from the game based on financial reasons. The USGA/RA have been the biggest contributors to their so called distance problem by allowing courses to be set up in a way that favors distance over accuracy. Distance increases are inevitable as humans continue to evolve. In relation to other sports distance has seen less of an evolution compared to others.

• Like 1

Why does it matter that current pro players can hit the ball further than the players of the past? The purpose of the game is still the same. Put the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes possible compared to the field.

To me, this is like people arguing against the forward pass rule being brought to football or the addition of the 3 point line in basketball.

Also, pro golfers today are never going to be like the pro golfers of prior eras, no matter the technology you make them utilize. They care more about fitness, have access to better information, and have found a way to play better than others in the past.

At the end of the day, all sports evolve. What makes the evolution of the golf ball and club so abhorrent?

• Like 3

The only comparison to this whole thing, not all basketball players can slam dunk with style, or at all. Some shoot 3's like at home in the driveway. You don't see the basket being raised, or three point line moving backwards. It's what makes the game fun to watch. Let those who can drive long. It's what the public wants to see, isn't it?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I've often suggested that the only organization with enough clout and power to implement changes is Augusta National Golf Club. How so? Along with the invitation they send out to their competitors in the Masters is a note stipulating that each competitor will receive 4 dozen golf balls upon arriving at the club for both practice and play during the tournament. No marking on the ball, other than the player's name and the Masters logo. It will be a ball limited to whatever specs ANGC implements.

What? You refuse to play the Masters ball because of your sponsors? Best of luck to you in your other golfing endeavors. It's honestly as simple as that.

Unfortunately this whole debate is as simple as following the money. The governing bodies are already so grossly whored out to manufacturers and other corporate sponsors that they are too busy counting their 7 figure salaries to truly do what is in the best long term interest of the game.

• Like 1

I am sick of this distance debate. Maybe because I am a younger guy and a newer golfer. The USGA seems to care way to much about the courses and old traditions. The venues don't make the game (at least in my book). There is a reason the three point line has been extended in basketball. I'm sure similar things have happened in other sports. Most games seem great with evolving and changing, but tradition steeped golf is slower than the others.

Thank you!

And at THEZPR23 how exactly would bifurcation (which already exists under the guise of conditions of play or local rules) add to cost? I'm not seeing it - if anything you could argue that it would reduce cost, I would think.

The solution is so simple - let the tours police themselves. The USGA has little trouble protecting par through its course set up - certainly the Tours can set courses up to produce the winning scores that it would like at its venues also.

They've made two significant changes to the game over the past decade and we are loosing players. Granted there are other factors involved but you have to think that their hijinks are part of it.

Make the game play faster and more fun to play - that's what's needed

@Nifty - the Trop has catwalks - oh does it have catwalks, some are in play, others a HR others still a foul ball. It's a hoot for opposing outfielders.

And at THEZPR23 how exactly would bifurcation (which already exists under the guise of conditions of play or local rules) add to cost? I'm not seeing it - if anything you could argue that it would reduce cost, I would think.

Maybe I am wrong but someone has to pay for all the equipment costs, R & D, Labor, manufacturing etc. Who is going to pay for Taylormade to make Tiger a new club that conforms to these rules? Or Bridgestone to make a new ball? We know it's not going to be him. It is going to be us and majority of golfers will not benefit. It will be worked into the cost of retail clubs IMO. 

• Like 1

A football is a football, a basketball is a basketball, and a baseball is a baseball. The players using these objects don't, for the most part, get to select the brand, type or technology. These sports attempt to standardize equipment to eliminate deviation while increasing the importance of the player's and not the equipment's performance.

I like technology and love the pursuit of the perfect clubs. Still could you imagine a golf tournament where all participants had to use the same clubs and balls? Rory shows up to The Open empty handed because the tournament provides his clubs which are the exact same clubs as all other competitors?

On the flip side could you imagine a clean up hitter walking up to bat and tossing the catcher a baseball of his choosing? Maybe it was developed to go higher and longer or maybe it produces just line drives and ground balls.

• Like 5