2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

Official Update

Week 5 is in the books with the following results:

IMG_1415.thumb.JPG.27f93a1f967950ec0940d1fa0d47d4eb.JPG

Green RH 110, LH 100

Blue RH 106 LH 99

Red RH 103 LH 93

Yes I had a 114 last week with the green (lightest) club. However it was on a step change and totally aberrant to the point that I question its accuracy - my next best recorded step change other than that is 108!

The 110 was on a straight up swing. My first swing after the dynamic warm up was 108 and the 110 was my last swing. Every regular right handed swing with the green today was above 105.

I also hit 100 left handed for the first time!

I will have very little time to play/hit balls in the next week so I’m anxious to see where I’m at next weekend when I check my Driver SS at the end of week 6.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just finished up week number five of the SuperSpeed system. I can't say I saw many major jumps on my dominant side, but my non dominant side put up some decent numbers.

Honestly, going into this I would never have imagined that I could reach these numbers left handed this fast. It's starting to feel more natural and it shows in the numbers.

I can't wait to start week six and see if the permanent increase takes place. My starting speed was 89, similar to Rev, and like him I'm looking for something between 93-94 as the finishing driver number next weekend.

I'm hoping to be able to hit the course this weekend and check my accuracy and on course speed. I've had a bit of trouble recently trying to crank out the speed under the pressure of hitting fairways. I'm just hoping whatever crud that hit my sinuses goes away so I can play. 20181101_194338.jpeg.6018cd27bb58e44f335f2fb537475a0d.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice work guys! I'll finish my week 5 tomorrow and post results shortly after. I'm playing over the weekend so we'll see how my accuracy is off the tee.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Well, I finished Week 5 today on a low note, as in low swing speeds.  Worst in a couple of weeks.  I had to change up my schedule this week from Sun-Tue-Thu to Sun-Wed-Fri because I was invited to another course to play this Tuesday.  It might be my new schedule over the winter.  It was sunny and 60º but very windy.  I don't know if the wind had anything to do with it or not.  It also could be that Flu shot I got two days ago.  Being old, they gave me the Super-Flu shot.  Never had that one before.  

All numbers today were down 5-10 mph across the board.  I did manage to eek out a 101mph speed with the light club on the final 3 swings.  My best numbers for this week were basically the same as the best numbers for last week.  Not looking good to get over 100mph with all clubs by the end of week 6.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My week 5 is in the books.  As I previewed a few days ago I hit my fastest speed ever at 140mph this week.  And yes, I double checked to make sure I was in the golf mode and using MPH instead of KPH.

140mph.jpg

I also set personal bests with the Red club right-handed swing, left-hand Green, and left-hand Red.  For some reason the Blue stick didn't want to play nicely this week.  I was close to previous numbers with it though.

week 5 results.JPG

I'm playing in a unique event tomorrow (more on that later) so stay tuned for a course update this weekend.  I'm not expecting great things since the morning temp is supposed to be 36 with an afternoon high of 45.  I'll have to bust out some of those rock hard extra long distance balls to combat the limited flight in cold weather.

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

Week five is completed.  Had kind of a set-back last week--not sure what to contribute it to, but was back on track this most recent week,

Here are  my numbers thus far:

image.png

It's quite noticeable that a flatter swing plane generates more speed for me when compared to a slightly more vertical swing.

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

Screenshot_20181103-153300~2.jpegGot the opportunity to play 18 today, the day started out chilly and got pleasant as the day went on. Played pretty decent, for me. My drives seemed to be less dispersed than usual with my ball tending to draw/hook more than I'm used to. Did hit 57% percent of my fairways. I was also noticing that a lot of my iron shots were also going from right to left and that really threw me off.

Now down to speed, I recorded five drives with the monitor of 90, 90, 89, 85, and 89. So I'm really not seeing the benefits of the training. I'm trying to tell myself that there's still one week before the changes become permanent. I'll probably do my six week test on the driving range so the mental hurdle of trying to hit the fairway is out of the equation.

I'm pleased with the better ball striking across the board. I did have a few shots that were like Waffle House hash browns, scattered, covered, chunked, and topped. Those are more the Indian and not the arrow. What concerned me was the speed. This is six weeks and a five percent increase, so if I don't see it, it will be brought up in my stage two. I might see the jump later and if that's the case it'll be addressed then also.

I'm curious how my training schedule is affecting the results. I have to do it in the evenings twice a week because my schedule isn't conducive to doing it in the mornings. But, there's still another week to go before they are supposed to set in and I believe in this system. Hopefully next weekend will bring about more speed.

Yesterday my course had an end of year cross-country shootout event.  They converted the normal par 72 course into a 9 hole, 6051 yard, par 52 monster.  We also had the option of buying "tee it up anywhere" shots.  These were extremely helpful on the 700+ yard holes.  It was a fun event.

Cross-Country-Shootout.jpg

This was my first time playing in 3 weeks and I could definitely tell the SuperSpeed training has affected my game.  The good: when I connected on a drive in the 40 degree weather it was going noticeably farther than I have hit all summer long.  The bad: it took me a good 3 or 4 holes to find my swing and be able to make solid contact with any club.  Its difficult going from swinging as hard as you can in the SuperSpeed training to dialing it back to ensure solid contact over max power.

Unfortunately this will probably be my last time out on the course for the year.  By next weekend our high temps are supposed to be in the low 30's with a chance of snow.  There is a place nearby that has Trackman 4's set up as indoor simulators, so that will most likely be my new home course for the winter.

At U2 how different was it trying to find your swing from how it would normally be after 3 weeks off?

@sirchunks - my plan is to grab two average swing speeds at the end of this week. One on the course and one on the range. (I’ve been saving up found good balls for the range part because it makes a few mph difference on the Swingcaddy device)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

At U2 how different was it trying to find your swing from how it would normally be after 3 weeks off?

@sirchunks - my plan is to grab two average swing speeds at the end of this week. One on the course and one on the range. (I’ve been saving up found good balls for the range part because it makes a few mph difference on the Swingcaddy device)

I'm always a little rusty at the start of every spring.  The difference in those rounds is that I'm very cognizant of the fact that I haven't played in a few months and really focus on slow, solid contact.  The round yesterday I felt like I could crush every drive and overswung quite a few times.

I would put the majority of the blame for my bad shots yesterday on myself.  It was a 2 person scramble and I definitely played more aggresively than normal trying to hit that perfect shot.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, Kenny B said:

I have wondered why I don't change to left-handed myself, but then I read the posts in the Lefty thread.  Not much club selection.

that is very true and more prevelant with putters. 

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

reading this thread and hearing about you guys going out and golfing is really bumming me out.

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

21 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

reading this thread and hearing about you guys going out and golfing is really bumming me out.

I would liken this program to getting fit for a brand new set of irons.  You may struggle to figure them out for awhile, but once everything clicks you should see improvements across the board.

I would liken this program to getting fit for a brand new set of irons.  You may struggle to figure them out for awhile, but once everything clicks you should see improvements across the board.

I’m thinking Har means that we are able to play. Very few days we can’t play in Florida Har, very few, usually because of a tropical storm or that the course is flooded in the summer.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

I’m thinking Har means that we are able to play. Very few days we can’t play in Florida Har, very few, usually because of a tropical storm or that the course is flooded in the summer.

oh so jealous.

Dexterity:

I love the driving range. I was able to get out and hit a few balls after eating lunch with my wife in order to check the ole swing speed. I got there and there was this gentleman hitting with these two kids. I don't know if it was an uncle or grandfather, but I was able to strike up a conversation with them when they asked about the radar. Watching the oldest of the two, I would say about 10, was seeing a kid that'll be good some day. I let them see how fast they were swinging and he was able to hit 46 mph. I wish I had a swing so smooth.

Most of my drives were around my starting speed of 89, but I did have one...

rps20181104_165253.jpg.c4052f70f2d88eac39fc419fcf793932.jpg

This was the first time I've hit 100 and actually hit what was a playable ball. Every other time it would be a low runner that went left with conviction. This one was a nice, high fade.

Week 5:
Another week in the books and I’m happy to say that I smashed my way into the 120 club by putting up a 122 on my 2nd to last swing of the session! All of my highs came from the session I completed this evening, possibly due to the fact that I have spent the last couple days relaxing with family down in LA. A couple days off and not doing anything is apparently what I needed!

As with all the previous weeks, my left handed swings are staying fairly consistent with where they’ve been since the beginning. I don’t know why, but I just can’t seem to increase the speed on my left side like I am on the right. I haven’t been stopping to record numbers between my right and left swings, so maybe it’s just a bit of fatigue from going directly into the left side from the right… Next week, I’ll make a point of writing down my right hand swing prior to going into the left side. Gotta try something to get that left side up!

Here’s how the numbers look after week 5:

SSG - Week 5.JPG

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Did my workout early today. Never again for me. I’m just not an early morning exercise person.

My best times are late morning to mid afternoon!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Did my workout early today. Never again for me. I’m just not an early morning exercise person.

My best times are late morning to mid afternoon!

Most of my sessions are in the evening after work, and it works well for me. I've done a handful of morning sessions and my numbers aren't as high. My back is always stiff in the morning, so I imagine this is probably why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Most of my sessions are in the evening after work, and it works well for me. I've done a handful of morning sessions and my numbers aren't as high. My back is always stiff in the morning, so I imagine this is probably why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My mindset wasn’t as aggressive. My numbers weren’t way off, just a bit off, about 1 mph per drill.

I have found that the entire process is down to 20 minutes BTW so I’ve shaved 10 minutes off from when i first started mostly in the warm up.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Question for all doing the warmups.  

When doing the arm circles, do you do them slowly like Daisy shows for the shoulder clocks, or do you do them quickly?  Maybe it doesn't matter.

The SuperSpeed warmup video doesn't specify fast, medium or slow speed.  I started out doing the arm circles slowly, and I didn't see much swing speed increase in the early weeks.  Over the last couple of weeks, I started doing them faster.  Swing speed is up, but don't know if there is any correlation.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Question for all doing the warmups.  
When doing the arm circles, do you do them slowly like Daisy shows for the shoulder clocks, or do you do them quickly?  Maybe it doesn't matter.
The SuperSpeed warmup video doesn't specify fast, medium or slow speed.  I started out doing the arm circles slowly, and I didn't see much swing speed increase in the early weeks.  Over the last couple of weeks, I started doing them faster.  Swing speed is up, but don't know if there is any correlation.
I do mine quickly, as they made my shoulders pop when I started don't them and it was a bit uncomfortable. Now, I don't have that popping but I still do them fast.

My second session of the week was a good one. My right handed swings averaged 100 mph with the exception of my step change with the heaviest club. My left handed swings were all averaging over 90 mph, with the exception being the step change with the heaviest. It's odd, usually the step change produces the highest speeds for me.

I did have a high of 112 (lightest), 107 (middle), and 105 (heavy). My last three swings clocked in at 105, 106, and 103.

My first session of the week was horrendous, I was sick all weekend and just couldn't reach the highs that I have become accustomed to.

I'm looking forward to hitting the range this weekend and seeing how things are after the first six weeks.

@ Kenny, I actually asked Daisy this question.  She said the Dynamic Warm up should take about 8 minutes.  Accordingly I've upped the pace of each one of the movements.  I've gone from between 15 to 20 minutes to 9 to 10. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Guys, I'm puzzled.

I'm into my second week with the swing radar with my cobbled together overspeed sticks. And I find it far easier to put up faster swings left-handed. And I'm not left-handed.

Here's the spreadsheet of my work thus far, through a week and a half: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jj8xqtRl5EkctUEFx3fRjQynHWlotG5X1_EM6l0MphE/edit?usp=sharing

Here are my swing averages from today:

image.png

Note that in almost every case (except the step swings with the red stick), my left-handed swing is either equal to or faster than the swings with my right hand.

The left-handed swings feel awful. If I put a club in my hand, I think I'd be surprised if I made contact with the swings I'm making from the left. But the speed from my left is real.

Any thoughts on this? I know a couple guys have already joked on here about switching to left-handed. That's not something I'm really interested in pursuing. But this bugs me.

Two theories: one mental, the other mechanical. The mental one is that I have built a right-handed swing that won't let me swing without inhibitions. It's built for control (though it's not always even good at that). And so I can't make the adjustment necessary for a loose, fluid swing.

The second is mechanical: I think I have a better natural wrist set left-handed, in part because it just happens.

Anyone else have any guesses? I suppose swing videos might be in order here.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, mpatrickriley said:

Any thoughts on this? I know a couple guys have already joked on here about switching to left-handed. That's not something I'm really interested in pursuing. But this bugs me.

Two theories: one mental, the other mechanical. The mental one is that I have built a right-handed swing that won't let me swing without inhibitions. It's built for control (though it's not always even good at that). And so I can't make the adjustment necessary for a loose, fluid swing.

The second is mechanical: I think I have a better natural wrist set left-handed, in part because it just happens.

Really hard to say without seeing videos.  It's most likely a swing issue, but it could also have something to do with your homemade sticks.  I've had some swings where the red club gets close to green and blue, but I don't think you should ever have the fastest averages with your heaviest club like your 10/31 results.

image.png

I would keep at it a little longer to see if things start to normalize.  5 sessions is such a short glimpse that things may even out on their own.

6 hours ago, mpatrickriley said:

Guys, I'm puzzled.

I'm into my second week with the swing radar with my cobbled together overspeed sticks. And I find it far easier to put up faster swings left-handed. And I'm not left-handed.

Here's the spreadsheet of my work thus far, through a week and a half: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jj8xqtRl5EkctUEFx3fRjQynHWlotG5X1_EM6l0MphE/edit?usp=sharing

Here are my swing averages from today:

image.png

Note that in almost every case (except the step swings with the red stick), my left-handed swing is either equal to or faster than the swings with my right hand.

The left-handed swings feel awful. If I put a club in my hand, I think I'd be surprised if I made contact with the swings I'm making from the left. But the speed from my left is real.

Of course, I'm just guessing, and you should have a pro look at your swing, but since you asked for a guess...

I'm thinking your right handed swing comes down from the top starting with the right arm... casting, losing all of your lag early.  It's a swing that feels powerful to you, but it's not.  I know, I had that swing, and I have been working this year to keep the lag, pulling from my left side.  When you make a left handed swing, your left side, being weak, doesn't do that and your strong right side pulls the club, thus maintaining lag longer.  I'm still working on it, but when I swing left handed, I can tell that it's a better swing; just uncoordinated at this point.  My left handed swings are less than my right handed swings, but I have had a couple where they have been equal.

If you make a video of your right handed swing using both arms, compare the amount of lag when the club is parallel to the ground on the downswing to a complete swing made using just your left arm.  You will be amazed.  I can't get there yet, but I'm trying.  If I knew what I know now about my swing, I would have started playing golf left handed 26 years ago, and I think I would be a better player today.

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If you make a video of your right handed swing using both arms, compare the amount of lag when the club is parallel to the ground on the downswing to a complete swing made using just your left arm.  You will be amazed.  I can't get there yet, but I'm trying.  If I knew what I know now about my swing, I would have started playing golf left handed 26 years ago, and I think I would be a better player today.

This makes complete sense