TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

So, [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention] has obliged me on this already. Can I persuade anyone else to join in?
Just want to test a small theory I have currently, that might play into this quite nicely...

I thought that I did. I will try to resend the message

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There was a lot of talk a few weeks ago around here about tempo. I played last weekend with one of my most common partners over the summer and after ripping a few three woods right down the middle to start off the round he made a comment about how smooth my tempo was. Tempo is not something I actively think about *at all* but it was good to see him make that comment considering how much stock everyone in this group puts in tempo. We were out to drinks a few days later and he made another comment on how much smoother my swing looks and how good my tempo was. He's a high-70s/low-80s guy and has been golfing for much longer than I have so I'm taking his word for it. 

I'll probably post my next speed updates when I finish my "protocol 2" (I have another few months of 5 kneeling swings each hand each stick, 5 regulars, 5 step thrus--- elaborating because my protocol 2 is different as I'm not an 'official tester'. 

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

Sgold7, revkev, or sounds like you both put on a couple of good rounds this week and are showing the benefits of SuperSpeed training. That's awesome guys!

My week 10 training got off to a fantastic start, with highs of 110, 108, and 107. I was even able to break 100 with my non-dominant side in three of my protocols. The 108 and 107 were both with the regular swing, also. That had me pretty excited.

Since we're getting cooler weather here in Tennessee, I went this weekend and bought a pair of WinterSof gloves to help keep the hands warm and a good grip on my clubs. I like them, so far. They'll get put to a good test tomorrow night when it's going to be in the 30's. rps20181204_211221.jpeg.96d7241e3e9687e096917f34080f9662.jpeg

I was able to hit the range and work on the ballooning issue I had. I figured I was using more of an iron swing with the driver, causing me to hit down on the ball. A little adjustment in the takeaway and it was a lot better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sgold7, revkev, or sounds like you both put on a couple of good rounds this week and are showing the benefits of SuperSpeed training. That's awesome guys!

Yup! Definitely seeing improvement on the course which is the reason for all of this! The best part is now that my tee game is improving pretty significantly it's freed up some more practice time to focus on my mid & long iron game which has been lacking. The ball striking has been down and over the past few weeks I've been able to put a ton of focus on that. 

Also, my dad who's had some health issues over the last 10 years (he's 58) has been swinging the set of sticks I got him for the holidays semi-regularly. First time in ages he's been sore from real physical activity. Really cool. 

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

Okay my week 3 is in the books and I think the plateau is done! Although the increases showed up in everything but the green dominant.

Here are the numbers

Green RH 107 Blue RH 110 Red RH 103
LH 105 LH 102 LH 94

I don’t know why I wasn’t faster with the green dominant but I was out of site with everything else. The blue 110 was on a traditional swing. I got it up to 96 kneeling RH and the 105 LH actually felt like a golf swing.

I commented in an earlier post about my round Tuesday. I was consistently as long as or longer than my buddy who was 20 yards longer than me last April when we played.

Excited to focus on increasing the speed a bit faster over the next few weeks and seeing where that gets me with driver for real.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 minute ago, revkev said:

Okay my week 3 is in the books and I think the plateau is done! Although the increases showed up in everything but the green dominant.

Here are the numbers

Green RH 107 Blue RH 110 Red RH 103
LH 105 LH 102 LH 94

I don’t know why I wasn’t faster with the green dominant but I was out of site with everything else. The blue 110 was on a traditional swing. I got it up to 96 kneeling RH and the 105 LH actually felt like a golf swing.

I commented in an earlier post about my round Tuesday. I was consistently as long as or longer than my buddy who was 20 yards longer than me last April when we played.

Excited to focus on increasing the speed a bit faster over the next few weeks and seeing where that gets me with driver for real.

This is great to hear.

Interested in the gains you had i.e speed at start against these numbers.

Also did you know your Driver SS then and now?

Good job rev, might have to ask Santa for a set 😉 

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Hi all, the Reverend had a great question. Group training is a big focus for us. We set up group training or speed clinics at facilities all over the world so golfers can work together and push each other. With the gains over the first 6 weeks it is a big motivator for those to continue to the next protocol. If people didn't see gains that quickly it may become more frustrating causing a drop out from the program. With that extra motivation the plateau phase that comes after isn't as mentally challenging. We encourage SuperSpeed users to at minimum get through the first 2 protocols where they will see the biggest gains. If they discontinue for a period of time after then the speeds don't typically drop back down much if at all. 

It is very similar to a gym program in that you will see gains and plateaus. Just the way we are built. But once you get over the plateaus it is a great feeling!

Hey MGS testers, just wanted to throw up that link to the articles/videos we spoke of from Steven Buzza on GolfWRX. Really interesting data on what happens when people try to swing for distance versus accuracy. We see the same thing in our testing.

Kyle

http://www.golfwrx.com/529216/buzza-golf-should-you-focus-on-distance-or-dispersion-for-better-tee-shots/

http://www.golfwrx.com/528094/watch-drive-the-ball-straighter-by-trying-to-hit-it-farther/

@revkev The new protocols you guys are going through are basically the same as the ones on the current website so the results would be comparable. They start to shift a little more as we add new drill positions in the next few levels. The new protocols are close to being on the new website. Thanks for the comment!

@SuperSpeed Golf - your customer service is worth its weight in gold.

@our readers - it really is! Like any thing that will make you better you must have the discipline to do the work. My goal remains average LPGA swing speeds with driver. I think that I can threaten scratch with that 73, plus 3 with 3 to play and 77 in my last 3 rounds about 2 mph under right now. And I’m not having time to practice as I’d like.

BTW my thought on the tee right now is hit the hell out of it, accuracy be damned - makes no difference - I hit it pretty straight anyway. I’m hitting 11 or so fairways out of 14 that way.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I am really enjoying this thread. I understood the concepts of speed training but actually hearing from people that I converse with on a regular basis validates that it can work for the average joe.

I have some unused amazon gift cards so I may be acquiring a set and radar unit as a post Christmas gift to myself.

Keep up the great work testers.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@persevering golfer I picked up 5 mph driver SS in level 1 from 91 to 96 on the radar that SuoerSpeed sent us which is the same device that we use for our protocol Swing Speeds. I’m a few mph’s slower on devices like Swing Caddy or trackman. But that’s normal. Also I’m not going to remeasure my driver SS until the end of level 2 which is when we will have our stage 2 reviews up. That’s going to be mid January.

I would remind too that I had already picked up some swing speed from my year long fitness program. Don’t necessarily expect this to work for others though. At 62 I was badly out of shape. I dropped 40 plus pounds in 6 months and gained flexibility and muscle tone back - I went from 84.5 on trackman to 88 during that time. I’m thinking that I’m closing in on 93 on that device now.

I’m about to head to the range so I will grab a few voice caddy readings for kick but I’m slower in the morning than in the afternoon. Tuesday’s round and yesterday’s workout were in the afternoon. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I note a lot of people saying they find training in the afternoon easier. I'm not personally surprised, when I was actively training for sports I was always advised to do your most stressful workouts in the afternoon as you'd have naturally loosened up more, had more food to eat and a better level of energy and that the only exercise that would naturally benefit from an early start was when you were looking to drop fat.

Certainly for those of us who are older and tend to have a day full of work, even with a warm-up in the morning, you've had a full day of "warming up" by the afternoon/evening which makes it easier to get into the exercise.

@SuperSpeed Golf, what is the thinking behind recommending morning workouts? I'm definitely interested in the reasoning as someone who is always looking to learn more about, well, everything...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Week 10 has been completed.  It's funny that Rev said his plateau period was over this week as I also saw some new records with my swing speeds.  I set new personal bests with my left-handed (non-dominant) green and red training clubs.  Hopefully the program isn't telling me I should switch things up and become a lefty!

5171171_week10results.JPG.0dc7e022fe93f4e1f62bf3c280e51a15.JPG

The one thing that has me really confused is my right-handed swings with the green stick.  My very first max speed back in week one was 138mph.  Since then I've hit a max of 142 but have consistently been in the 135-138 range the entire 10 weeks.  All of the other clubs have seen a pretty steady progression upwards.  I wonder if the green stick is too light for my normal swing?

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I have also completed Week 10 today.  Speeds are about the same as the last couple of weeks.  However, I think I'm doing pretty well to maintain.  Temps have dropped to below freezing at night, and it warms ups to about freezing when I do the protocol; 31º today at 11am.  I have to do it outside as I have no place inside with high enough ceilings.  It's been so cold I haven't even wanted to go to the course.  Ten years ago I would still be playing in below freezing temperatures.  Now I'm longing for my 2 weeks in AZ next month.

I originally thought this training would be perfect as a winter activity, but I will qualify that... only if you have a nice warm place to do it.  Old bodies and cold temperatures don't mix very well.  I could easily see that if I were not doing this training as a MGS test, I would put it off until warmer weather arrived.  Don't worry... I'm committed now!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, 02uwmadgrad said:

The one thing that has me really confused is my right-handed swings with the green stick.  My very first max speed back in week one was 138mph.  Since then I've hit a max of 142 but have consistently been in the 135-138 range the entire 10 weeks.  All of the other clubs have seen a pretty steady progression upwards.  I wonder if the green stick is too light for my normal swing?

Here's a possibility (and I'm way underqualified to pretend I know anything here): at least in theory, we'd recognize that for a given body/build/fitness, at a certain point, you've maxed out all the speed you have there. Again, I don't know you, and I'm no physiologist, but it seems like at least a shot-in-the-dark possibility.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Another week in the books here! Solid incremental improvement continues: remember, my chart is an average of standing, dominant-hand swings:

image.png.f156aad53e872d7cc0b8d9e080f61d9c.png

image.png.7244a6e3654ad6889746d3ca7b963b24.png

I hit a milestone this week: my red stick average is now the same as my green stick final swings from Week 1. I'm certainly pleased by that.

For my own part, I began a general fitness routine roughly the same time I began SuperSpeed training. It's nothing elaborate: I get on the exercise bike for a half-hour on MWF, and then go through a routine on my BowFlex-ish machine on TThS. I have to think that's also contributing to the steady rise in my numbers.

Full WITB with pictures

@JonBrittan if I'm not mistaken, the theory behind the early training has to do with your mind being more receptive to the reprogramming that the over speed training is trying to accomplish. According to SuperSpeed, we are working our minds as much as our bodies toward the goal of learning we can swing faster. I tend to train later in the day because I am usually up before 4 a.m. and the only thing I'm receptive to is more coffee.

@KennyB you are tougher than I am. Playing when it's below freezing, I guess that's what being from the Northwest will do for you.

On to the weekly wrap up,

20181207_192951.jpeg

Had a pretty good week, highlighted by a 113 mph swing with my medium club during a step change.
rps20181207_192456.jpeg

Honestly, I seem to get along with that club more than my lightest club recently.

I did have to change my schedule this week to Monday, Wednesday, and Friday because of inclement weather last week that made me end week 9 on Saturday. Like Kenny, I'm doing this all outdoors. I have a feeling my neighbors think I'm crazy standing in front of my house at 7 p.m. swinging a club. I use a light to help illuminate the radar as it's usually in my shadow.

rps20181207_192519.jpeg

I also hit 100 mph for the first time left handed with my heaviest club. I'm pretty proud of that.

I was hoping to play this weekend, but the chance for rain is running close to 100 percent this weekend.

24 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I also hit 100 mph for the first time left handed with my heaviest club. I'm pretty proud of that.

Over 100 in every kind of swing: great stuff!

Full WITB with pictures

Are you all using your top numbers for the week or are you using an average of your top numbers from each day?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We are tracking our top numbers from each week and putting them in our charts. I went back over my book that I use to record daily and saw that the averages for each day work out to about 1-3 mph different.

rps20181208_103134.jpeg.9a2cb94155160fb24f06052b8cb8dc04.jpeg

I had to amend my weekly chart, I was going back through it and noticed my top speed for for my heaviest club was incorrect on my dominant side. In my previous post I put 104, but it was 107.

Three new highs in one week, looks like the plateau might be over.

You guys seem to be killing it keep it up.

Except in the morning - I’m not killing anything in the morning. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Are you all using your top numbers for the week or are you using an average of your top numbers from each day?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The before and after driver swing speeds are the average of 5 drives. All other numbers are the top numbers for that club, dominant and non-dominant, for that week.

Think of them like a handicap - they measure potential but in the end will reflect a faster average.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Great to see some of you breaking through that plateau phase! It is important for the readers to hear that the plateau comes for most everyone but you will come out of it. 

@Jon Brittan We are looking for the SuperSpeed protocols to be done while the person is the most fresh physically and neurologically. If someone is pre fatigued from a gym program or playing a round of golf they typically will be slower training after. That being said it is not a black and white rule. We appreciate you bringing up this point. We want people to train when they feel the best and are getting the most out of the sessions. If later in the day is working better definitely stick with that but don't be afraid to experiment. 

@mpatrickriley We all have an athletic ceiling where our potential for speed will be at a maximum. We don't really know for sure exactly but we would guess most people are operating around 50-60% of their potential. This athletic ceiling is developed by what types of explosive activities you did as a kid and your unique genetic makeup. If you didn't do fast or powerful movements as a child it doesn't mean you won't be able to gain more speed, it just means you most likely will never be a Cameron Champ. Through the SuperSpeed training we can begin to tap into more of that potential by activating what are called Motor Units. At some point you will max out and won't be able to gain more speed. It takes some work to get to that max out phase though. The first 2 SuperSpeed training protocols will yield the biggest gains. From there the gains will be slower and smaller but still happen. The plateau phase can also be longer. 

I'm going to try and bump this thread - for some reason it has totally disappeared from both my mobile app and on the laptop. 😞

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I'm going to try and bump this thread - for some reason it has totally disappeared from both my mobile app and on the laptop. 😞

The forums have changed, you're probably now in the "wrong" one...
They've separated official and unofficial product reviews and it seems that was done by creating a new "official" reviews sub-forum while the old one was renamed to the unofficial listings. Anyone with a web browser open saw only the unofficial threads. I had the same thing this morning, briefly, on my laptop wondering where all the official threads had gone (while being delighted they had "unpinned" them so we could see some of the other topics too 🙂

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...