TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

BTW, do you guys include those final three swings in your Max swing stats?

Welcome Mike! Be sure to introduce yourself in the introduction section of the forum.

I do, often my fastest swing with my light club comes there! Oddly I’ve also had my fastest red swing for a session with my last dynamic warm up swing but I don’t count that - don’t know why.

Good luck -

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

46 minutes ago, Mike Lambert said:

Hey All -

This is my first post on MyGolfSpy, just wanted to say I'm jumping on board the SuperSpeed train thanks to what you guys are doing.

I'm 56, just start playing golf spring of 2016, so as you can imagine, pretty rough around the edges. Get out generally every Saturday from mid April to late October (live in Mass, so kinda cold the rest of the year) with a regular foursome.

Got an email early last week from Practical Golf, they are offering a discount on the SuperSpeed equipment, and someone has posted a link to this forum thread, which I read through last week and have been following ever since.  I actually bought the system late last spring (based on a Practical Golf recommendation and a couple of Amazon gift cards I had lying around), but didn't get very far due to a combination of elbow tendinitis and laziness.  After seeing all the progress here, I just finished week one and am excited to continue through the winter.  I actually started a weigh training program mid October, partly to help improve my golf swing speed, but also general strength - I'm not a big guy, about 5' 8" 165 lbs, and sometimes it felt like I was swinging through molasses the last few rounds this fall.  Doing all barbell exercises for now, progressively adding weight, and it's definitely helped with getting start on the SS protocol, I haven't felt any soreness at all.

My initial driver speed was 84 mph, if I'm swinging 90 or better when I play my first round in April, I'll be really happy...90 mph - 92 mph seems like a reasonable expectation based on what I've read here and on the SS website.  Managed a 104 and 107 on the last two normal swings at the end of the protocol this morning, so heading in the right direction.

Looking forward to continuing to follow everyone's progress, and I'll let you know how I'm doing at the end of level 1.  Just ordered the pad so I'll be ready to go with the kneeling swings when I get there.

- Mike

Mike, welcome the forum. Top notch first post there!

I can certainly say that doing the protocols in a group like this helps a lot on the days when you just don't feel like it. So welcome aboard, and we'll be looking forward to following your progress!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Week 11 is complete.  My first two sessions this week were great.  Set personal bests in 3 different swings including an all time best of 143 mph with the green club.  And yes, I stopped what I was doing so I could take a picture of it.  Sorry.

143mph.jpg.957452a9370dc576c5bdd8c5539b6b27.jpg

My 3rd training session was not very impressive.  I spent Wednesday going through a 4 hour full bag fitting at Club Champion.  The first two hours alone were all iron fitting related.  I used yesterday as a rest day, but even today I was still pretty sore from all those swings.  Here are my overall results with highest speeds in bold.  Hopefully the right-handed Blue and Red speeds are the next ones to increase.

1910385168_week11results.JPG.1578dc36f369c856c9a7f9c67a14dcf2.JPG

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

First of all congratulations to Golfspy MPR for becoming a moderator. I didn't realize it until I closed the app down at break and then it clicked in my brain. I've read quite a few of your posts and I believe you'll do a fantastic job.

Mike, welcome to the forum and to SuperSpeed training. Excellent first post and please keep us updated on how it's going. It's always great to hear from our fellow Spies and hearing about their experiences. I would definitely recommend reading all the other posts here on the forum because these guys know golf.

02uwmadgrad, wow, you are putting up serious numbers. Hitting 143 is phenomenal!

I still haven't finished up my week since I'm waiting for the replacement radar to show up. I think it's here, but I had my wife order it and this close to Christmas I don't want to open a box and it be something else. This feels like I'm in a Golfhole, I haven't swung in a couple of days and it's driving me insane.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Here is some inspiration for you guys.  Swing it like a girl!!!!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@revkev We wanted that day of rest in between each session for recovery of the nervous system. That day of rest can be important to maintain/increase speeds on the next session, reduce injury risk, and not get sloppy during the training. We are glad all the testers are learning about how their body responds to this type of training. 

If you must go back to back days attempt a morning session the first day and an evening session the following day to spread them apart more. Report back to us how the speed is on the back to back days. 

Some people end up only training 2x per week which is the absolute minimum we recommend but 3x per week gets better results.

Week 11 is complete.  My first two sessions this week were great.  Set personal bests in 3 different swings including an all time best of 143 mph with the green club.  And yes, I stopped what I was doing so I could take a picture of it.  Sorry.
143mph.jpg.957452a9370dc576c5bdd8c5539b6b27.jpg
My 3rd training session was not very impressive.  I spent Wednesday going through a 4 hour full bag fitting at Club Champion.  The first two hours alone were all iron fitting related.  I used yesterday as a rest day, but even today I was still pretty sore from all those swings.  Here are my overall results with highest speeds in bold.  Hopefully the right-handed Blue and Red speeds are the next ones to increase.
1910385168_week11results.JPG.1578dc36f369c856c9a7f9c67a14dcf2.JPG
So @02uwmadgrad you're doing averages for all your reported numbers?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I wish those were averages, but the green/blue/red numbers are max speeds. We only use averages for the end of protocol drive swing speeds.

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

I wish those were averages, but the green/blue/red numbers are max speeds. We only use averages for the end of protocol drive swing speeds.

Got it thanks..did you find your numbers about 5ish mph shorter then the other 2 days of this week..I am only on my own week 3 and found that day 1 and 2 numbers were generally 3 to 5 mph faster then day 3..which I attributed to lingering soreness from lifting weights after day 2

39 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Got it thanks..did you find your numbers about 5ish mph shorter then the other 2 days of this week..I am only on my own week 3 and found that day 1 and 2 numbers were generally 3 to 5 mph faster then day 3..which I attributed to lingering soreness from lifting weights after day 2

That sounds about right.  I do occasionally have a few great swings at the end of the week, but in general my best speeds seem to come earlier when I've had a more rest and less soreness.

During the first level of this project I was doing a separate exercise program 4-5 days a week.  The level 2 protocol for us is a little bit longer, so I cut that back to a max of 3 days a week training.  I'm far from an elite athlete and figured 20 minutes of SuperSpeed training 3x a week with 2-3 other workouts was more than enough to maintain my glorious dad bod.

11 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@revkev We wanted that day of rest in between each session for recovery of the nervous system. That day of rest can be important to maintain/increase speeds on the next session, reduce injury risk, and not get sloppy during the training. We are glad all the testers are learning about how their body responds to this type of training. 

If you must go back to back days attempt a morning session the first day and an evening session the following day to spread them apart more. Report back to us how the speed is on the back to back days. 

Some people end up only training 2x per week which is the absolute minimum we recommend but 3x per week gets better results.

Thanks!  I understand the why for the rest - it's like any other workout routine.  At times though life gets in the way.  The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is brutal for me.  For example while I'm off today and was supposed to play golf with a couple of people from this forum I need to be on call because we have a huge special event tomorrow afternoon and I'm in charge of it.  Thursday and yesterday were spent on that event and writing non-stop, tomorrow I will be at it from 7 AM until 8 PM and then the work week starts.

So finding half hour slots that will require a shower afterwards is problematic. 

I guess that my real question would be which is preferable - having a week where there are only 2 workouts or going back to back?  If I only doing two one week and then getting right back into the three a week cycle is okay I would prefer it to going back to back.   I could do Monday/Thursday this week, do Saturday and then be right back into my routine of Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday for the foreseeable future.  Given your answer I'm leaning in that direction.  I'd much rather not risk an injury today.  Instead I will do my normal cardio workout and the SuperSpeed training on Monday/Thursday/Saturday of this week.

@sirchunksalot - I would continue to do the workouts as scheduled without your radar - that way you will maintain yourself where you are currently at.  If you go too long you may see some speed loss.

Also we get questions about whether our speeds are averages - only the driver SS are averages.  The point of the SuperSpeed system is to train our minds and bodies to move faster - this is a case where the faster time is far more important than an average.  Think golf handicap - it does measure an average, it measures a potential - same thing here.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@Revkev, fortunately I was able to get my radar in last night and my workout in this morning. This does lead me to the debate of doing a back to back workout like you've been discussing. I try to do Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, but I might do Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The thought of three after work sessions gives me the heebie jeebies something fierce. I was thinking of doing the workout sans monitor knowing that it might skew the weekly data, but like you said, it's important to keep up the routine.

Other than the incident with my former radar, I had a pretty good week. I matched two previous records and was close to normal on all the rest. It was my second week seeing 100+ with all clubs as my highs. I am jealous of @02uwmadgrad and the 143 high he saw, but I guess it had to do with not having a spectacular dad bod. Lol.

20181215_101332-02.jpeg

I'm excited that Christmas break is coming up and hopefully this nasty, wet weather will let up so I can get out and play. Stage 2 is coming up quick and I haven't been able to hit the course in a few weeks. Why does it always rain on weekends?

Stats after week 11.     meh.....    

This is getting a bit discouraging, having no way to translate the exercises into actual driving range/golf course results.  It's going to be a longgg winter hiatus.   

image.png.30fdc54b55267096fc27a759b4cb9bf3.png

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

This is getting a bit discouraging, having no way to translate the exercises into actual driving range/golf course results.  It's going to be a longgg winter hiatus.   

But you’re providing a valuable view point. Lots of people can’t play during the winter months. It’s important to have that vantage point in the mix. Just remember that my friend! Your data is huge and think what the Spring will bring.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I agree with@Revkev about your experience being valuable to this testing. I know it's tough putting in all this work and not being able to see the payoff, but you will come spring.

13 hours ago, Calypso55 said:

Don't get discouraged!!  You are not alone.  It looks like we are at similar speeds.  My numbers haven't changed much in the last few sessions, and have gone down a little for the light club.  

I have to remember that in the middle of week 9, I changed from Yellow to Green as my lightest club.  After that change I had some great numbers with the Green club, but the last few sessions my speed has dropped back to what it was before the change.  Of course, it's colder now and the grass is wet!!

Interesting that the first session of Week 12 today... my fastest swing was with the Blue club at 104 which is a record for that club.  I've only had 4 swings over 100 with the Blue club in the last month.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There you go Kenny - my fastest blue club swing today was 106 which is right where I should be based on my starting SS.

I should be 109,106,103 based on what SuperSpeed says - I was exactly that today. Was very consistent today with the blue and my steps and fast LH - lots of over 100 swings.

Oddly I have a head cold and almost emailed Daisy about not working out.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

First of all, I hope you get to feeling better[mention=16651]Revkev[/mention]. Dealing with a cold and doing the SuperSpeed training is tough.

I got my first session of the week in today and already have swings over 100 with all clubs, both hands for the third week in a row.

RH: 114, 113, 102

LH: 108, 104, 100

The 113 with my medium (green for me, senior set) was actually a regular swing.

Second session this week was not very good.  I did my first session this week on Monday, then walked 18 holes afterwards.  I was a little sore.  Yesterday I did absolutely nothing.  Thought I would take a day and rest (OK, nap!); it rained, the wind blew 20-40 mph, then the sun came out but still very windy.

Still sore today, and it showed in my speeds.  Not one swing with any club over 100mph.  Same swing speed with Green, Blue and Red... 98.  Something must be wrong with the radar.  😉

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've developed a bit of a problem: I'm pretty sure the left-handed swings have contributed to an injury of my left hand. For the past couple of weeks, I've had a nagging pain running pretty much up the life line on the palm of my left hand. It has definitely weakened that hand; I've found it hard to grab things without pain.

Initially, I thought it might have been some hand exercises I began doing (working with this set). But I'm not experiencing the pain while doing the exercises, and it absolutely sharpens on the left-handed swings, especially with the heaviest club.

I'm an interlock grip user here. But I've found that the pain is lessened significantly going to an overlap grip. I just don't think my off-hand swing is coordinated enough, and locking the fingers together seems to be causing some action that isn't good.

Anyone else with any experience like this? What grips do you guys use?

Full WITB with pictures

I use an interlocking grip. No hand pain,but I did have some pain in my forearm last week. Took an extra day of rest and that seemed to cure it.

I would take a few days off and go with the good old RICE method. Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation.

I use an overlapping grip just as I do right handed.  MPR I'm afraid you need to be on the sideline until that heals - there are warnings in the protocol material that tell us to stop if we get hurt.  You just need to rest it until its better and then resume. 

Sorry that you got hurt - I will often be sure in my left forum the day after a workout but it's always fine by the next day.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

33 minutes ago, revkev said:

I use an overlapping grip just as I do right handed.  MPR I'm afraid you need to be on the sideline until that heals - there are warnings in the protocol material that tell us to stop if we get hurt.  You just need to rest it until its better and then resume. 

Sorry that you got hurt - I will often be sure in my left forum the day after a workout but it's always fine by the next day.

I actually decided to gut this week out (taking it easier on the left hand swings), but then take next week off, since I'll be spending most of the time with family anyway.

Full WITB with pictures

First off @KennyB , I want you to know I was nowhere near your radar, nor have I felt any malice toward it, or even had a single negative thought about it.

@GolfSpyMPR, Right handed I use a baseball style grip and use an interlocking grip left handed. For some reason, I cannot interlock or overlap right handed without it feeling uncomfortable. I do occasionally get some hand pain after swinging, but it's more in the area underneath my pinkies and the side of my hand.

I do attribute a lot of that to working on an automobile assembly line. It's a lot of repetitive actions throughout the day and it's a bit rough on the hands. I do a LOT of hand stretches.

Day 2 is finished and I didn't see as many great speeds, but they were still really good. There was this one:
20181219_185034.jpeg

That's a regular swing right handed with my heaviest club. It's only 1 mph lower than my fastest step change swing with that club.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I've developed a bit of a problem: I'm pretty sure the left-handed swings have contributed to an injury of my left hand. For the past couple of weeks, I've had a nagging pain running pretty much up the life line on the palm of my left hand. It has definitely weakened that hand; I've found it hard to grab things without pain.

Initially, I thought it might have been some hand exercises I began doing (working with this set). But I'm not experiencing the pain while doing the exercises, and it absolutely sharpens on the left-handed swings, especially with the heaviest club.

I'm an interlock grip user here. But I've found that the pain is lessened significantly going to an overlap grip. I just don't think my off-hand swing is coordinated enough, and locking the fingers together seems to be causing some action that isn't good.

My guess it may be tendonitis - I've had something similar with my left hand for a couple of years now, although it more on the back of the hand at the base of the thumb, and it I've noticed weakness like you have.  I suspect it was caused by my grip when I first started playing 3 summers ago and holding the club too tight and having the top hand mash the thumb a bit when I swung.

So far, I haven't found anything to really help it much.  I've tried one of those thumb braces they sell at CVS to rest it, hand grips like the ones you are using to strengthen it, and spoke with a physical therapist who didn't help much, but told me it's likely being caused by inflammation in my forearm muscles from swinging a golf club and suggested using a TheraBand FlexBar to strengthen them .  For the most part it's mainly just an annoyance, but I do notice when it hurts a little more, if I massage my forearm it can help a little.  Advil helps more, although I don't like to use it too much 😉  

As far as swinging, I use an overlay grip, but have switched to a baseball grip swinging lefty since I've started feeling more irritation around the left thumb and in both forearms.  I'm only on my second week of level one, so we'll see how things feel in a couple of months.  I'm also going to follow Sirchunksalot's lead and start stretching my hands more.

Edit to add something I just thought of:  it might be worth doing the hand grip exercises right after the SS swing work if you are doing them on different days - that way, you are warmed up for the grip strength training, and then have a day or two off to rest where you aren't doing either exercise.

Edited by Mike Lambert

18 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I haven't had any issues with pain in the palm, but I have had a little pain with my left thumb.  I have to move it off the shaft for this speed work.

For years I have used the 10 finger grip, but this last spring I switched to overlapping.  I tried interlocking with bad results; it hurt my fingers on both hands.  I guess my old fingers just don't work that way.  I found overlapping worked well, and it was also beneficial to keep a light grip with my right hand which reduced a little over-the-top move.

I would take it easy for a while to see if the pain subsides.