Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

5 hours ago, revkev said:

These are the focused protocols that we've been talking about.  SuperSpeed has identified three common swing flaws that inhibit club head speed.  When they are working with their professional clients they have high tech ways of testing for those flaws.  They've actually developed simpler tests that we are able to perform at home.

There are three ASD (Advanced Speed Development) protocols each meant to address the swing flaws of poor turf interaction, swing sequencing issues or lag issues.  With as gracious as SuperSpeed has been I'm sure that they would email the at home tests for you that or you could ask your teacher (if you have one.)  My teacher had no problem telling me which one to do - he was very impressed by it actually - the drill that he gave me has me trying to hit fades from a feet together closed stance with a 7 iron to start - if I can do that I get to move up all the way to fairway wood - the divot and the ball most start left and curve right - no cheating by hitting a block fade allowed.  I've gotten much better at that drill since the kneel down swings started - the ASD 2 that I'm going to start is kneel down on steroids. 

Break out the Greek Yogurt for that!

BTW Daisy told me not to start until week 20 so she must like you Bucky! 

Thanks revkev.  I'll drop them a note to ask, I can use all the help I can get 😉

For me, week 20 will be at the end of April, so just in time for me to be able to get outdoors again.

Thanks revkev.  I'll drop them a note to ask, I can use all the help I can get
For me, week 20 will be at the end of April, so just in time for me to be able to get outdoors again.

The test that they devised for proper ground interaction really requires being outside that that’s perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm definitely interested to see how the kneeling on steroids is going to go because that's the first of the ASD protocols I'm going to do. I've done half swing test a couple of times and noticed I'm about 10-12 percent off the full swing. Did Daisy say it should be no more than 7 percent?

I feel sorry for anyone having to do the ground contact drill, that's a lot of swings. Since this has been a recent topic here, I thought I'd refresh my memory watching the videos and four protocols with three swings on each side is going to be a monster.

I was able to get it and play yesterday and saw my swing speed average 94.6 mph, I am still not seeing the distance but it's been wet and there was no roll. Still hit 4/7 fairways, so the accuracy is still in the ballpark of where I've been.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm definitely interested to see how the kneeling on steroids is going to go because that's the first of the ASD protocols I'm going to do. I've done half swing test a couple of times and noticed I'm about 10-12 percent off the full swing. Did Daisy say it should be no more than 7 percent?

I feel sorry for anyone having to do the ground contact drill, that's a lot of swings. Since this has been a recent topic here, I thought I'd refresh my memory watching the videos and four protocols with three swings on each side is going to be a monster.

I was able to get it and play yesterday and saw my swing speed average 94.6 mph, I am still not seeing the distance but it's been wet and there was no roll. Still hit 4/7 fairways, so the accuracy is still in the ballpark of where I've been.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post but we don’t do an extra protocol per week - the ASD subs in for one level three protocol - it’s still three per week.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post but we don’t do an extra protocol per week - the ASD subs in for one level three protocol - it’s still three per week.

Sorry for the confusion, the four protocols I mentioned are the four types of swings that are in the ground contact ASD. Step change, step back, heel stomp, and double step. I think we do three swings of each, both sides, with each club alternating sides with each swing. Counting the 20 warm-up swings, that's 128 swings.

Sorry about the mix up on terminology. I didn't mean to give the impression that we did an extra day of the workout.

Thanks sirchunksalot - glad my ground game is okay because trying to figure all that out would be a laugh riot. I’m having enough fun with the double step. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

15 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Could the superspeed folks hook us up with the ASD stuff I would love to see it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I sent an email to [email protected] asking about it, and they sent me a PDF with the protocols, and also suggested it would be best to find a certified TPI/Superspeed trainer, or possibly look at a certification program they will be rolling out in the near future, but that appears to be geared to instructors, not a novice like me.  Looking at the descriptions, it looks like something I would need to work with someone on, at least for an assessment.

I sent an email to [email protected] asking about it, and they sent me a PDF with the protocols, and also suggested it would be best to find a certified TPI/Superspeed trainer, or possibly look at a certification program they will be rolling out in the near future, but that appears to be geared to instructors, not a novice like me.  Looking at the descriptions, it looks like something I would need to work with someone on, at least for an assessment.
They do have a self assessment you can do for people that don't have access to the technology that some would use to determine what protocols to use.

I know you live in an area where it's cold and you deal with snow, so the turf tear test might not be feasible for a little while, but I think you said you would be hitting week 20 when it warms up. Go outside and take a couple of swings in the grass and check to see if you damaged your yard. I did one yesterday and this is what I'm looking at:

20190128_171809-01.jpeg

If you don't see significant damage you'll need to do the ASD protocol for ground contact.

To see if you need to improve sequencing, take a regular swing and record the speed. Then take a half swing trying to match the previous swing and if it's more than seven percent off, you'll need to do the sequencing protocol.

The lag test will involve you recording your swing facing the camera. You'll want to check and see if you're keeping lag through the downswing. This is where I wish I had one of those high speed cameras like they use on Mythbusters. That's a little expensive for me. They do have 1/4 speed playback on YouTube that you might be able to take advantage of.

I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge might be able to explain better. If you need videos of the ASD protocols, I'll be happy to send them to you in a PM.

15 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

They do have a self assessment you can do for people that don't have access to the technology that some would use to determine what protocols to use.

I know you live in an area where it's cold and you deal with snow, so the turf tear test might not be feasible for a little while, but I think you said you would be hitting week 20 when it warms up. Go outside and take a couple of swings in the grass and check to see if you damaged your yard. I did one yesterday and this is what I'm looking at:

20190128_171809-01.jpeg

If you don't see significant damage you'll need to do the ASD protocol for ground contact.

To see if you need to improve sequencing, take a regular swing and record the speed. Then take a half swing trying to match the previous swing and if it's more than seven percent off, you'll need to do the sequencing protocol.

The lag test will involve you recording your swing facing the camera. You'll want to check and see if you're keeping lag through the downswing. This is where I wish I had one of those high speed cameras like they use on Mythbusters. That's a little expensive for me. They do have 1/4 speed playback on YouTube that you might be able to take advantage of.

I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge might be able to explain better. If you need videos of the ASD protocols, I'll be happy to send them to you in a PM.

Thanks for all that information!  I definitely don't tear up the grass like that at all, so I don't need to wait for spring before knowing I can use the ground contact protocol 😉 .  I know I also need work on the sequencing & lag too, so I'll be able to use all three of these protocols over the spring and summer.

I recently ran across an app that allows you to do slow motion playback on your phone:  https://www.hudl.com/products/technique  - there's both a iPhone/iPad and Android version, and the basic app is free.  I downloaded it but haven't really tried it out yet, just did a quick video of my hand moving to see how it works.  You can play back at full speed, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 speed, and there is a drawing tool.  

That would be great if you could send me the videos of the ASD protocols, I really appreciate that!  Thanks sirchunksalot!

Thanks for all that information!  I definitely don't tear up the grass like that at all, so I don't need to wait for spring before knowing I can use the ground contact protocol  .  I know I also need work on the sequencing & lag too, so I'll be able to use all three of these protocols over the spring and summer.
I recently ran across an app that allows you to do slow motion playback on your phone:  https://www.hudl.com/products/technique  - there's both a iPhone/iPad and Android version, and the basic app is free.  I downloaded it but haven't really tried it out yet, just did a quick video of my hand moving to see how it works.  You can play back at full speed, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 speed, and there is a drawing tool.  
That would be great if you could send me the videos of the ASD protocols, I really appreciate that!  Thanks sirchunksalot!
Thank you for letting me know about the hudl app, I'm downloading it now and going to have to see how it does. I think that will be a great tool for analyzing lag. I might have to give it a whirl this evening during protocols.

Just finished Week 6/Day 2. This is the last week of the beginner/starter protocol for me. So far, I've seen my green club max speed increase from 110 to 116, and my recorded driver swings from 95 to 103.

I"m playing in a scramble event this weekend so should have the opportunity to see if I'm getting any distance gains from that. (Of course, the ball landing in the fairway more often would be just as welcome)

I will probably send another email to the SS folks to see if they will offer up the ASD protocols. Sounds like a good way to coordinate with my coach to target improvement and incorporate the SS training into my regular sessions.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Just finished Week 6/Day 2. This is the last week of the beginner/starter protocol for me. So far, I've seen my green club max speed increase from 110 to 116, and my recorded driver swings from 95 to 103.
I"m playing in a scramble event this weekend so should have the opportunity to see if I'm getting any distance gains from that. (Of course, the ball landing in the fairway more often would be just as welcome)
I will probably send another email to the SS folks to see if they will offer up the ASD protocols. Sounds like a good way to coordinate with my coach to target improvement and incorporate the SS training into my regular sessions.

My coach loves the drill that I will be doing - :)

Good luck this weekend - I will ah I could be with you - particularly instead of what I will be doing. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

3 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Nice work!

Nice job on the review Calypso!  Interesting perspectives - when we first started our testing I thought that it would be an advantage to be doing this out of season as our up North guys are.  I failed to appreciate the impact the lack of on course feedback would have on their impressions.  In the end this is really about the impact on our games - it's very hard to judge that if you can't play.

While I've had a few spotty patches with the early stages in level one and level two workouts I've been able to visibly see the distance improvements particularly with my iron carry distances (it's impossible to see the driver differences - I don't see where driver ends up anymore anyway).  Right now I'm coming off a round where I had issues because I was playing a somewhat familiar course that is fairly tight, has lots of doglegs and cross hazards where the run out wasn't in play before but suddenly is now!  Couple the already longer drives through the air with the generally drier conditions and I was hitting it 30 plus yards longer off the tee than the last time that I played this course, 2 clubs longer with my irons - it was nuts to play a 380 yard hole that I would typically have played with driver 5 hybrid or 6 iron with Driver gap wedge - 261 yard drive, pin up, 97 yards to a front pin location - 52 degree wedge.  Three months ago that was 210 yard drive - 156 6 iron to a back pin. 

I'm going to have to relearn the game. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Nice Stage 2 Calypso. Interesting that the two cold winter guys have given the product the lowest reviews so far. I like the product but I’m seeing the exact same “stuck indoors” issues that you are.

Did you see it was colder in Wisconsin than the South Pole station in Antarctica today? Why do we live here again?

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

32 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Nice Stage 2 Calypso. Interesting that the two cold winter guys have given the product the lowest reviews so far. I like the product but I’m seeing the exact same “stuck indoors” issues that you are.

Did you see it was colder in Wisconsin than the South Pole station in Antarctica today? Why do we live here again?

Well, it is summer in Antarctica...

As someone who grew up in northern NY state, I have to say the balmy winters here in southeastern Massachusetts are pretty wimpy compared to the 100+ inches of snow and temps in the teens I was used to as a kid (they wouldn't call off school until wind chill hit 30 below).  But we knew spring was really on the way when it warmed up enough to melt the cow manure around mid-April, if you catch my drift (like we used to on the bus ride home from school).

Anyway, having to swing in a garage or somewhere inside is definitely less than ideal for us cold-weather guys, but if it wasn't for SuperSpeed Golf, I'd be sitting on the couch watching NCAA hoops or skiing just knowing it would be mid-May before I started making progress on my swing.

48 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Must be for the bratwurst. 

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

I really feel for you guys in the cold weather states. I know it's got to be hard not being able to get out and actually see the results and trying to find a place to do the protocols would be a logistical nightmare for me. I find myself longingly looking at the high ceilings at work and sigh on the days it rains. I've considered a gym membership, but my work schedule the last few months barely gives me enough time to get home and get everything done before bed. I've been fortunate to have gotten every protocol in.

Calypso, great job on the stage 2. I hate hearing about the frigid weather you guys have been facing up there. Down here, an inch of snow causes a panic and a shortage of milk and bread in the store. We just had a day like that and it was a mess. We can't handle snow here in the south.

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

We can't handle snow here in the south.

It’s all about the snow removal equipment! You don’t need it enough to have to buy it, so you’re stuck when it does snow.

On the other hand, I really don’t like it when temp gets above about 88 or 90.  We get maybe 10 or 12 days a year of 90 most summers and everyone gets real cranky 😀

Well, it is summer in Antarctica...
As someone who grew up in northern NY state, I have to say the balmy winters here in southeastern Massachusetts are pretty wimpy compared to the 100+ inches of snow and temps in the teens I was used to as a kid (they wouldn't call off school until wind chill hit 30 below).  But we knew spring was really on the way when it warmed up enough to melt the cow manure around mid-April, if you catch my drift (like we used to on the bus ride home from school).
Anyway, having to swing in a garage or somewhere inside is definitely less than ideal for us cold-weather guys, but if it wasn't for SuperSpeed Golf, I'd be sitting on the couch watching NCAA hoops or skiing just knowing it would be mid-May before I started making progress on my swing.

As someone who has lived through winters in Upstate NY, Wisconsin and Southeastern MA - I will take winter in Florida, thank you! :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 1/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, revkev said:

If I look at my SS chart I've followed the sample pattern that Bucky provided very closely - we wrote our review at the end of week 14 - I had a nice jump in the first 6 week period, stayed flat throughout the second 8 weeks until the very last 2 workouts where I had a noticeable 2 percent jump in SS - I've  plateaued again and quite frankly my last two workouts this week and range session yesterday were a bit slow - more like the end of level 1.  That's also very normal and discouraging.  Fortunately I know to expect this and will just plod right through.

I appreciate sirchunksalot wanting to see 120 - I hope he does - I don't see it in the cards for me - I'd be tickled pink if I could get the green to 115 at some point (that's my lightest stick) and get my SS averaged to be 100 on the radar which would be 96,97 on track man.  Right now I'm holding firm between 92-95 on the Voice Caddy - that is a huge jump from the 84 that I was at a year ago and 88 at the start of our SS training - I can't begin to tell you the difference it makes when you are driving between 225-235 when before it was 210-220.  Its huge!

Also Daisy's comments to sirchunks are a huge deal - I think that may have been lost on us a bit throughout the training - those last three swings with the lightest club are the money balls - they are supposed to be the fastest ones.  Normally they are for me.  Today they were not - I chalk that up to being tired.  I don't feel tired but I hit a ton of balls on the range yesterday so I'm golf tired.  I'm playing tomorrow and am going to do a workout Monday so that I get the "extra" day off between that workout and the one of Thursday.

@revkev we are glad you saw your speeds spike again at the end of the Level 2 training. You may still get more gains if you continue to the next level. The great thing now is that if you choose to take a break from the training you should pick back up close to where you left off. Typically the gains after the first 2 protocols levels are now permanent baring some type of physical injury after you stop training. 

We always want the last swings of the day to really attempt to max it out and imprint that into the brain.

@SuperSpeed - you should have seen the look on my friends faces on the course on Tuesday as I was knocking it 20 and 30 yards past them or on my face when I hit 117 with the green club in training today.

:)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@SuperSpeed - you should have seen the look on my friends faces on the course on Tuesday as I was knocking it 20 and 30 yards past them or on my face when I hit 117 with the green club in training today.

:)

That's awesome Rev!

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

🙂

Thats awesome to hear- what's your actual club SS now and before starting training?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Thats awesome to hear- what's your actual club SS now and before starting training?

Started 91, current 98.8

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

10 hours ago, revkev said:

Started 91, current 98.8

Excellent- now that's an increase that's well worth it- now to find me some speed stick supplier.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Excellent- now that's an increase that's well worth it- now to find me some speed stick supplier.

You order them online - 199.99 plus you will need the radar which runs around 100

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches