TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

Week 2 of the second level is in the books.  Had my best session yet today, which was a surprise because my right should has been a little stiff & sore the past few days (Why?  Who knows, I'm 56 😉 ) and with the outdoor temperature about 7 right now, even the garage is pretty cold.  Broke the 100 mph barrier in a couple of new columns, pretty psyched about that!

Like some others have mentioned, I was a little concerned early on about what trying to swing as fast as I can would do to my form, but I'm starting to feel that is actually is starting to help because my body needs to move more efficiently to swing faster and my brain is now starting to make adjustments which turn into better form.  And I believe that is the whole basis underlying SuperSpeed Golf's system.  I don't believe that specifically stated on SuperSpeed's website, unless I missed it, but it fits right in with Adam Young's training philosophy - and that's kind of how I got here:  Adam Young's blog mentioned Jon Sherman's Practical Golf Site, where I read Jon's review of SSG, which had a comment from someone that linked to this review.

2019-02-01_12-50-26.jpg.139e17021807e87ce76ca366c77960a2.jpg

@SuperSpeed Golf After my last post, I re-read the FAQs on you site, and then decided to weigh the clubs as well as my driver to see how I match up against the -20%, -10%, and +5% differences versus the driver mentioned in the FAQs. 

Turns out the SS clubs are somewhere around -13%, -3% and +12% compared to my driver (Taylormade M4 I got last July).  I think having SS clubs skewing heavier like that is probably pretty negligible, or may even work in my favor, but am curious whether you have looked at any data on the relative weights skewing one way or the other. 

Now I'm also telling myself my potential driver speed is closer to my blue numbers than the red numbers, as I had been thinking given the relative weights.  So even if that's wrong, please don't tell me 😉

Mike, great work so far! I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the speed gains you'll see once you are able to hit the range. Keep it up!

I want to also congratulate Revkev again on his gains. You're almost to 100 mph with your driver and getting closer to hitting 120 with your green stick. I'm rooting for you to hit those goals.

I was able to hit the course after work today and was happy about the speeds I saw. I was able to hit 101 mph, twice. I mentioned this to Daisy in our email chat. They were horrible slices, but I was rushing for the first few holes to make sure I got nine in before dark. I honestly had my worst driving day in a while, but that's on me. Once I calmed down, I started hitting better. You ever had one of those days when you felt like you played horrible, and ended up a couple of strokes better than normal?

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 2/1/2019 at 6:59 PM, sirchunksalot said:

You ever had one of those days when you felt like you played horrible, and ended up a couple of strokes better than normal?

That one is just golf. The longer you play, the more days like that you will see. Or, the opposite may be true, when you are not hitting bad shots, but score is higher than normal. And sometimes the ball just bounces funny and you can't catch a break.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

On 1/31/2019 at 9:47 AM, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@revkev we are glad you saw your speeds spike again at the end of the Level 2 training. You may still get more gains if you continue to the next level. The great thing now is that if you choose to take a break from the training you should pick back up close to where you left off. Typically the gains after the first 2 protocols levels are now permanent baring some type of physical injury after you stop training. 

We always want the last swings of the day to really attempt to max it out and imprint that into the brain.

I'm glad to hear it.  I am coming off a 2 week trip and the weather was awful the week before I left, so I hadn't swung a SSG club in 3 weeks until yesterday.  It was 35º and it had rained the night before.  I did notice that I felt a little tighter on rotations, especially on the followthrough.  However, speeds with the Green, Blue and Red clubs were almost identical with those before I left 3 weeks ago.

Now the get back into training.  The bad news is that today is the only day in the next 10 days that will be above freezing, and snow is in the forecast..  Guess I will have to adapt.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 2/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, Mike Lambert said:

@SuperSpeed Golf After my last post, I re-read the FAQs on you site, and then decided to weigh the clubs as well as my driver to see how I match up against the -20%, -10%, and +5% differences versus the driver mentioned in the FAQs. 

Turns out the SS clubs are somewhere around -13%, -3% and +12% compared to my driver (Taylormade M4 I got last July).  I think having SS clubs skewing heavier like that is probably pretty negligible, or may even work in my favor, but am curious whether you have looked at any data on the relative weights skewing one way or the other. 

Now I'm also telling myself my potential driver speed is closer to my blue numbers than the red numbers, as I had been thinking given the relative weights.  So even if that's wrong, please don't tell me 😉

I think you will find that your driver speed will be closer to your Red club numbers... a lot more drag swinging with the driver.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I finished week 18 yesterday and meant to post, but the wife bought a piece of furniture for me to assemble. Overall, it was a pretty good one. I hit 118 again with my yellow stick and 110 with my blue stick doing the double step. I also had my first kneeling swing that went over 100 mph, it was 102.
20190203_114824-01.jpeg
We got an email from Daisy letting us know that if we've seen our second jump that it was ok to start with the ASD protocols, so I might start the sequencing protocol this week. As rev stated, it's kneeling on steroids. I tried a couple of swings and nearly slung a club. The protocol has you swing the club and at the end of the swing has you swing it on the non-dominant side without changing grip. This should be interesting....

42 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I finished week 18 yesterday and meant to post, but the wife bought a piece of furniture for me to assemble. Overall, it was a pretty good one. I hit 118 again with my yellow stick and 110 with my blue stick doing the double step. I also had my first kneeling swing that went over 100 mph, it was 102.
20190203_114824-01.jpeg
We got an email from Daisy letting us know that if we've seen our second jump that it was ok to start with the ASD protocols, so I might start the sequencing protocol this week. As rev stated, it's kneeling on steroids. I tried a couple of swings and nearly slung a club. The protocol has you swing the club and at the end of the swing has you swing it on the non-dominant side without changing grip. This should be interesting....

Great job!!  Right now I see no way that this 71-year old can get a kneeling swing over 100 mph.  I managed over 90 a couple of times, but these old muscles just don't want to turn that much! 

Great job!!  Right now I see no way that this 71-year old can get a kneeling swing over 100 mph.  I managed over 90 a couple of times, but these old muscles just don't want to turn that much! 
Thanks Kenny! I don't see it happening for me too often unless I get on the Rev's diet plan. The belly I have isn't too cooperative with turning.

I have yet to hit a 100 kneeling - I’m thinking I will once I’ve done my ASD protocol for a while.

I did get the green to 117 and the blue to 110 this week - very happy with those numbers - not officially providing updates here but am still tracking and will send the data to Daisy.

I will start the ASD number 2 this week. I’m really bummed today though - my sinuses are acting up again - we are moving into Oak pollen season - it gets me every time. I feel like crap. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Thanks Kenny! I don't see it happening for me too often unless I get on the Rev's diet plan. The belly I have isn't too cooperative with turning.

You mean, it might not be just old age?!  🤔

I took a couple of videos today of an issue I've had earlier in this process with the radar. I did my workout but wasn't able to record too many numbers due to the same reading without registering the swing. I did learn that the same speed blinks, then if you record a third swing that's identical it'll register as solid. I had a lot of misreads that were the same and just stayed solid. I had this issue today.

I did change the batteries and had the same problem, then I remembered that I might have gotten them mixed up with the old ones, so I changed them again. Finally got it to reading so I took another video. The swing speed was low in the first video and I didn't want to give the impression that I've been fudging my numbers for my reports and took another. Both are with my lightest club, but I did remove the kneeling pad.

It's now back in working order and ready to finish off the week.

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I took a couple of videos today of an issue I've had earlier in this process with the radar. I did my workout but wasn't able to record too many numbers due to the same reading without registering the swing. I did learn that the same speed blinks, then if you record a third swing that's identical it'll register as solid. I had a lot of misreads that were the same and just stayed solid. I had this issue today.

I did change the batteries and had the same problem, then I remembered that I might have gotten them mixed up with the old ones, so I changed them again. Finally got it to reading so I took another video. The swing speed was low in the first video and I didn't want to give the impression that I've been fudging my numbers for my reports and took another. Both are with my lightest club, but I did remove the kneeling pad.

It's now back in working order and ready to finish off the week.

It looks like you are swinging too high.  I could see the shaft when the radar recorded the 91, but the swings after that were apparently above the radar... I couldn't see them.

I haven't tried swinging that high; just off the grass, and I have never had the radar NOT record.

I took a longer video and viewed it through the Hudl app and did notice I had a couple that were above the radar. Some weren't. I did go back out and check after I changed batteries and the problem went away. Here's a screenshot of one of the swings and it's placement.Screenshot_20190204-200059_Technique-01.jpeg.6941c63849c02dc6bc9c2be56e3d8340.jpeg

I also might have been a bit off since I did hit the ground during a kneeling swing and was trying not to do it again.

I'll definitely work on trying to get my swing lower, there's a chance I got skittish after hitting a rock while kneeling.

Did my first Level 1 protocol workout yesterday; so that is after 6 weeks of the starter protocol now adding the kneeling swings and bumping up to 5 swings per set.

The good news - I hit a new max speed of 121 😮 with the green club during the max swings; and started with kneeling swings near 90.

The bad news - REALLY sore afterward, especially right side of lower back. 

Did anyone/everyone else experience similar results making the protocol transition?

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

2 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Did my first Level 1 protocol workout yesterday; so that is after 6 weeks of the starter protocol now adding the kneeling swings and bumping up to 5 swings per set.

The good news - I hit a new max speed of 121 😮 with the green club during the max swings; and started with kneeling swings near 90.

The bad news - REALLY sore afterward, especially right side of lower back. 

Did anyone/everyone else experience similar results making the protocol transition?

That 121 is very impressive!

And oh yes.  Here's what's helped:

First, be sure to have a real cushion of some sort under you. The SuperSpeed one is awesome but it's also pricey - I started with a couple of towels and that was not enough.  Several of the guys have fashioned their own cushions for around $20 or so.

Second, be sure not to let your knees get two wide while doing the drill.  You could really injure yourself that way so this is important.

Third, eat some protein before your start the protocol (I do a handful of mixed nuts) and then have some Greek yogurt and cherries afterwards (great, natural way to reduce swelling and pain).  I learned that trick from my trainer but it was very similar to what Daisy of SuperSpeed suggested and she is also a certified trainer.

To put this in perspective we still aren't at 5 kneel downs after 18 weeks.  We moved to 4 from 3after 14 weeks.  I'm pretty certain this is because of the issue that you are experiencing - the protocols that we are testing ramp up slower than the ones are currently on their site. 

I hope my advice helps - I know it helped me - you're at the point where I was ready to throw in the towel - doing those three things made a huge difference in my work outs.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, revkev said:

To put this in perspective we still aren't at 5 kneel downs after 18 weeks.  We moved to 4 from 3after 14 weeks.  I'm pretty certain this is because of the issue that you are experiencing - the protocols that we are testing ramp up slower than the ones are currently on their site. 

Thanks Kev!

I was feeling a lot more winded near the end of the workout for sure. I did request an updated workout plan but must have gotten one slightly different than what the test group is using. What I got was the starter protocol through week 6 (3/side normal, step, max) then the level 1 for weeks 7-12 which added kneeling swings and 2/side for each. I might take it back down to 4 and see what I get.

And I definitely did a double take at the 121. Highest so far had been 117.

Ooof. (Or maybe not. We'll see.)

Just did my first set of swings since January 3. For anyone new to the thread, I had some pain in my left hand that was being aggravated by the SuperSpeed swings; I still don't know the cause. So I've been resting my hand since.

Unfortunately, I've also been resting the rest of me. I had been working out pretty regularly in the weeks leading up to Christmas, but after the schedule disruption of the holidays, I've not restarted.

My swings today were really, really discouraging. I had completed roughly 9 weeks on the old system. The last numbers I recorded, my average speed for right hand, non step swings were 121, 115, and 112.

Today, they were 114, 106, 100. That's about where I was in week 4. Like I said, that was discouraging. Those are the speeds I was getting in November.

But I said "maybe," and here's why: when I completed the swings, I pressed the button to shut down and cycled through the settings. I might have been on baseball mode.

I set the unit back down and did three more swings with the lightest club, and immediately picked up 7-8 mph. It's still slower than where I had been, but not as awful.

So we'll see. I'm planning to hit it again on Thursday, assuming no further hand pain, and hopefully the numbers will rebound somewhat.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

IMG_1606.JPG

So Daisy asked me to measure my driver because she suspected that I was having another jump.

105, 102, 107, 100, 106! That’s a 104 mph average hitting balls with my driver up from 98.8 four weeks ago and 91 when we started.

I’m totally stunned.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@Revkev, that's awesome! Seeing a 104 average had to be exciting! You'll watch all your buddies jaws drop when you send the ball flying. Wow, that's a 14 percent increase in just 18 weeks. I think SuperSpeed just found their new spokesman. Congrats!

@GolfspyMPR, I'm glad to see you're able to get back on board with the training. I hope your discomfort in your hand is gone and you'll be swinging pain free. I'm really looking forward to tracking your journey to obtain a single digit handicap.

@Revkev, that's awesome! Seeing a 104 average had to be exciting! You'll watch all your buddies jaws drop when you send the ball flying. Wow, that's a 14 percent increase in just 18 weeks. I think SuperSpeed just found their new spokesman. Congrats!

@GolfspyMPR, I'm glad to see you're able to get back on board with the training. I hope your discomfort in your hand is gone and you'll be swinging pain free. I'm really looking forward to tracking your journey to obtain a single digit handicap.

That’s already happening - one of my friends has taken two lessons since the last time we played trying to figure out how to hit it longer - the killer for him was hitting hybrid on a par 3 where I hit 8 iron.

For those who are wondering I don’t seem to be having any trouble with driver fit wise but I’m concerned about the shafts in my irons. I think they are starting to launch too high and balloon on me a bit. I did turn driver down a click - but my fitter told me last spring that the lowest loft I’m comfortable is where I need to be at. I’m hitting ropes with it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

21 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I had some pain in my left hand that was being aggravated by the SuperSpeed swings; I still don't know the cause.

One common hand/wrist ailment is ganglion cysts. I had one in my wrist several years ago that ended up needing surgery. Overuse tends to make them a little worse. If you can see or feel any kind of a lump in the area it could be worth a look.

I guess I should have stayed in Phoenix a couple more weeks, maybe the whole month of February!!  I came home last Friday, did my protocol on Saturday, then it snowed on Monday.  Here is my protocol area...

Feb6.jpg.b80d73e805e0ab1ed3357ed5971220df.jpg

The 10 day forecast says it's not going to be above freezing, and it's supposed to be 8º tonight.  Then starting Friday and through Monday we will be getting 6-8" of new snow on top of this stuff.  

Since I don't have an indoor area, my SuperSpeed training is on hold... again!!

@Kenny brrr - come to Florida, our cold snap has passed - it's around 80 here today.  Perfect training weather.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

48 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I guess I should have stayed in Phoenix a couple more weeks, maybe the whole month of February!!  I came home last Friday, did my protocol on Saturday, then it snowed on Monday.  Here is my protocol area...

Feb6.jpg.b80d73e805e0ab1ed3357ed5971220df.jpg

The 10 day forecast says it's not going to be above freezing, and it's supposed to be 8º tonight.  Then starting Friday and through Monday we will be getting 6-8" of new snow on top of this stuff.  

Since I don't have an indoor area, my SuperSpeed training is on hold... again!!

I feel your pain. We've got 10–14" projected here starting tomorrow into Friday. On the plus side: still lots of time to get ready for the season.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Kenny, that snow is absolutely beautiful, but not real conducive to training. Down here in Southeast Tennessee, that would shut everything down for a week. I hope the weather clears up soon and you can get back to training.

I started the ASD protocols today. My biggest issue is with sequencing, so I did the #2 rebound protocol, or what Revkev called "kneeling on steroids".

The program is to do six swings with each club, both kneeling and standing. We are to swing the club on our dominant side then immediately swing the other direction, starting at the top of our follow through, without changing our grip. I was a little scared of coming back through because all I could imagine was the club flying out of my hands.

It was a quick session, but I was somewhat out of breath at the end of each set.

4 hours ago, revkev said:

@Kenny brrr - come to Florida, our cold snap has passed - it's around 80 here today.  Perfect training weather.

I might!!  Only 25K Delta miles to TPA.

Kenny, that snow is absolutely beautiful, but not real conducive to training. Down here in Southeast Tennessee, that would shut everything down for a week. I hope the weather clears up soon and you can get back to training.

I started the ASD protocols today. My biggest issue is with sequencing, so I did the #2 rebound protocol, or what Revkev called "kneeling on steroids".

The program is to do six swings with each club, both kneeling and standing. We are to swing the club on our dominant side then immediately swing the other direction, starting at the top of our follow through, without changing our grip. I was a little scared of coming back through because all I could imagine was the club flying out of my hands.

It was a quick session, but I was somewhat out of breath at the end of each set.

Doing my first one today - it will be a no no for me in that I’m going to hit balls in the AM and the protocol PM. I need to practice full shots though. Playing Innisbrook on Saturday. I want to hit balls today and tomorrow as well as get some trap work in. Got in half an our of short game practice yesterday. Will put for a bit today and tomorrow too.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches