Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

New irons look great. I'm also in the market for a new set but am waiting to see if our SuperSpeed training has a big effect on my swing speed first. I'll probably get fit in December or January if Club Champion has their usual half off fitting sale.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I finished Week 1 Session 3 today.  I start Week 2 Session 1 on Sunday, so I have a couple days off.

I'm stoked about the change since last Sunday.  Speed is up for the light and middle club both right and left handed from 4-12 mph.  The heavy club speed hasn't changed much.   I am about 5 mph slower with my non-dominant hand.

• Like 2

Week 1 is in the books!  As a reminder the lightest club (Green for me) is about 20% lighter than my driver, Blue = 10% lighter, and Red = 5% heavier.  I'm not going to measure my driver swing speed every week, but at the start it maxed out at 104.

Week 1 speeds.png

It's definitely taking me some time to get used to swinging left handed.  I've messed around with a friend's left handed clubs before, but never tried to swing them for speed.

I also wore my heart rate chest strap monitor to see what type of fitness benefits this may bring.  The warmup took 7 minutes and burned approximately 50 calories.  The actual swing protocol took an additional 8 minutes and burned about 100 calories.  15 minutes of work to burn 150 calories isn't going to make anyone lose a massive amount of weight, but it's definitely more healthy than sitting in the bar doing 12 ounce curls.

• Like 8

My first week is finished! It has been enjoyable to do the sessions. Gotta say something about the dynamic warm-up, it's awesome! I came home from work today feeling like swinging a club would be miserable. Ever have one of those days where you were so sore it felt like even your hair was hurting? Yeah...that's kind of how I felt. Going to buy new clubs yesterday took a lot of swinging and I was feeling it today.

I'm hitting the course tomorrow and then I'll crunch some numbers to give to y'all. I plan on taking the radar to get some on course numbers, along with some Arccos stats. Can't wait to put the new Cobras in play.

• Like 6

I agree.  I'm liking the Dynamic Warmup.  It really doesn't take very long, and I'm going to start using it before playing.  I have been doing a variation of some of them anyway, but now it's becoming a routine.  Playing tomorrow at 10am; might be raining.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 02uwmadgrad said:

Week 1 is in the books!  As a reminder the lightest club (Green for me) is about 20% lighter than my driver, Blue = 10% lighter, and Red = 5% heavier.  I'm not going to measure my driver swing speed every week, but at the start it maxed out at 104.

Week 1 speeds.png

It's definitely taking me some time to get used to swinging left handed.  I've messed around with a friend's left handed clubs before, but never tried to swing them for speed.

I also wore my heart rate chest strap monitor to see what type of fitness benefits this may bring.  The warmup took 7 minutes and burned approximately 50 calories.  The actual swing protocol took an additional 8 minutes and burned about 100 calories.  15 minutes of work to burn 150 calories isn't going to make anyone lose a massive amount of weight, but it's definitely more healthy than sitting in the bar doing 12 ounce curls.

I was so happy when I hit 111 in my session today (highest I've seen yet), and here you are with 138!!

SuperSpeed said the heavy club should be about 12% faster than our normal driver, so the 119 number would put me right in line with my actual max of 104 (119 * .88 = 104.72).

Not sure where the 138 came from.  Must have been that bowl of Frosted Flakes I stole from my son this morning.  💪

• Like 2

I'm not seeing numbers that come close to approaching what our other testers have. after my first workout of my second week -  :(

I did see a significant increase in my left hand SS's.  In fact I was 98, 92, 88 left handed - the 92 with the blue was actually faster than my right handed swing with that club although I was also faster with the red club right handed than the blue club today - boo blue!

I've also yet to approach the Superspeed projected numbers above my normal.  I suspect there are two reasons for this.  I had been doing golf specific workouts for about three months prior to starting this protocol and had picked up 4 mph of SS during that time (there may be less out there for me to gain than for other people.)  Everyone's swing and body is different so that we all will react differently to this training.  It will be a marathon and one week does not win the race so to speak.

I can't believe a 30 percent increase in SS with the green club - that's nuts U2UW - BTW were you in Madison with one of my former church members?  You may have heard of him, Sammy Dekker?

• Like 1

I'm not seeing numbers that come close to approaching what our other testers have. after my first workout of my second week - 

I did see a significant increase in my left hand SS's.  In fact I was 98, 92, 88 left handed - the 92 with the blue was actually faster than my right handed swing with that club although I was also faster with the red club right handed than the blue club today - boo blue!

I've also yet to approach the Superspeed projected numbers above my normal.  I suspect there are two reasons for this.  I had been doing golf specific workouts for about three months prior to starting this protocol and had picked up 4 mph of SS during that time (there may be less out there for me to gain than for other people.)  Everyone's swing and body is different so that we all will react differently to this training.  It will be a marathon and one week does not win the race so to speak.
I can't believe a 30 percent increase in SS with the green club - that's nuts U2UW - BTW were you in Madison with one of my former church members?  You may have heard of him, Sammy Dekker?
Dekker and Kaminsky (Frank the Tank!) were at UW about 10 years after I graduated. I was there during the Ron Dayne football days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

SuperSpeed week one is in the books and week two has started. Now for some numbers from week one:

Top Swing Speed for Each Club yellow, green, blue

RH regular 101, 99, 94
LH regular 77, 85, 78
RH step change 99, 99, 93
LH step change 86, 86, 86

All of these swings RH are faster than my initial SS of 89. I'm in the group that hasn't seen massive jumps in the training clubs compared to my driver, but it's just the first week and I wasn't expecting to see them. I am seeing my last three swings average 100 mph to end the protocols.

I've swung a lot of clubs this week, so it also could be that my body isn't used to the strain I've put on it. I spent an hour and a half on Thursday swinging clubs at the PGA Superstore trying to find the best fit. Between that, the range, and I played yesterday, that's a lot for this fella.

My driver swing speed has increased, I took the radar with me to the course and averaged 90 mph off the tee. The Arccos numbers were horrendous, as my driver couldn't hit water if it fell out of a boat. I was all over the place. Screenshot_20181007-100319_Firefox.jpeg
Screenshot_20181007-100309_Firefox.jpeg

My longest drive was 217, but when you hit them 40 yards right, it hurts the distance. It was the worst day driving I've had in a while.

After week one, I'm perfectly happy with the progress I've made with SuperSpeed. If I can pick up a mile per hour a week for six weeks, I'll take it with a smile on my face.

• Like 6

Week 1:

My week 1 is officially in the books! The beginning of my week was a little out of whack due to a Monday golf tournament, so my speed training days ended up being Tuesday evening, Friday evening, and Saturday morning. Having back to back days of speed training is not ideal and is against SuperSpeed’s recommended 1 day of rest between training, but due to a busy schedule, this is how it worked out this week. I was rather sore today from a combination of SuperSpeed training and personal training (Saturday), but still made it out to the range to hit some drives. I wasn’t expecting to see any increases from the first week of training, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw…

During my baseline swing speed testing I saw a handful of swings registering at 88 at 89 mph. Today, I didn’t see a single swing in the 80s! To make things easier to read, I will include a snippet of the recording chart that SuperSpeed sent us prior to starting (with the addition of speed increase columns that I added to the template). I don’t know if I will be able to get a before and after Driver swing speed every week, but I will include it whenever possible during these updates.

SS Chart - Week 1.JPG

As an extra piece of bonus content… One of the warm up exercises is a toe touch to squat to extension, and when I first tried, it was comical how limited my range was! I was able to reach to about my shin. I still haven’t reached my toes yet, but I am getting closer! As of today, I can just about reach the top of my feet! Progress!

• Like 6

Week 1:

My week 1 is officially in the books! The beginning of my week was a little out of whack due to a Monday golf tournament, so my speed training days ended up being Tuesday evening, Friday evening, and Saturday morning. Having back to back days of speed training is not ideal and is against SuperSpeed’s recommended 1 day of rest between training, but due to a busy schedule, this is how it worked out this week. I was rather sore today from a combination of SuperSpeed training and personal training (Saturday), but still made it out to the range to hit some drives. I wasn’t expecting to see any increases from the first week of training, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw…

During my baseline swing speed testing I saw a handful of swings registering at 88 at 89 mph. Today, I didn’t see a single swing in the 80s! To make things easier to read, I will include a snippet of the recording chart that SuperSpeed sent us prior to starting (with the addition of speed increase columns that I added to the template). I don’t know if I will be able to get a before and after Driver swing speed every week, but I will include it whenever possible during these updates.

1131015375_SSChart-Week1.JPG.15ac19a2749a0c4a2aeb5306fdd2c2ff.JPG

As an extra piece of bonus content… One of the warm up exercises is a toe touch to squat to extension (see below image), and when I first tried, it was comical how limited my range was! I was able to reach to about my shin. I still haven’t reached my toes yet, but I am getting closer! As of today, I can just about reach the top of my feet! Progress!

1792767647_Warm-upToeTouch.JPG.9e90bbda388305882813ca4bab45609c.JPG

That's awesome Kegger! I'm with you on the toe touch exercise, I'm almost reaching to the top of my socks, gotta buy longer socks. So it's more like shin touch, squat, pray I don't fall, and reach for the sky. Glad to see you're making progress, that great you kept your SS above 90.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Kegger said:

As an extra piece of bonus content… One of the warm up exercises is a toe touch to squat to extension (see below image), and when I first tried, it was comical how limited my range was! I was able to reach to about my shin. I still haven’t reached my toes yet, but I am getting closer! As of today, I can just about reach the top of my feet! Progress!

This is actually an easy one for me.  I have been touching my toes before every round of golf, holding it for 30 seconds.  I've been doing this for a couple of years.  It gets easier the more you do it.  

The biggest problem for me on this exercise is the squat part.  With my fake knee, I don't have the range of motion that I used to many years ago.  I can barely get my butt past 90º.

• Like 2

I can do that one fine - it’s the stork one that I struggle with although I’m getting better.

Had a flu shot today between church services. Definitely did not feel like hitting balls this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This is actually an easy one for me.  I have been touching my toes before every round of golf, holding it for 30 seconds.  I've been doing this for a couple of years.  It gets easier the more you do it.  
The biggest problem for me on this exercise is the squat part.  With my fake knee, I don't have the range of motion that I used to many years ago.  I can barely get my butt past 90º.

Interesting what a bit of weight loss can do for this trick. In January when I started my weight loss and work out program I couldn't get close to my toes. After 15 pounds less plus workout program and 'yoga of golf' I can get to the toes. Squats are a bit tougher even with real knees - function of age I guess.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Interesting what a bit of weight loss can do for this trick. In January when I started my weight loss and work out program I couldn't get close to my toes. After 15 pounds less plus workout program and 'yoga of golf' I can get to the toes. Squats are a bit tougher even with real knees - function of age I guess.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Congrats on the weight loss! Gaining is easy, losing is hard. I've been able to knock off five pounds some being selected for this test, but have a long way to go. I like my food. My wife and I have tried to go on a competition diet against each other, but were off to a slow start.

Keep up the good work Tony!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 1:29 PM, 02uwmadgrad said:

Week 1 speeds.png

Supercool! You guys are doing a great job so far, can't wait to see the results. Although I will have to, over 71 more weeks!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Supercool! You guys are doing a great job so far, can't wait to see the results. Although I will have to, over 71 more weeks!

You should be seeing our Stage 2 results sometime around Thanksgiving, when will be completing Protocol 1.  I think the results will be... interesting!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, newballcoach said:

You should be seeing plenty of updates from us between now and the end of the actual training program. I imagine there will be a clear trend for some of us well before the program is over, so keep poking your head in to see how we're doing!

• Like 1

Just as an FYI to anyone following this thread, I have added a section to the end of my Stage 1 post for Weekly Updates. Anytime I post an "official" weekly update, I will be including the link in my Stage 1 post for ease of navigation to see my progress.

• Like 2