Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

Does anyone notice that when you are swinging with the monitor right in front of you, the number pops up, you tend to try and swing harder to beat that number?  And of course in doing so, the number is actually less.  I tend to swing harder for some reason.  But when I don't look at that the number and just swing, the numbers actually stay the same or even higher.  I guess that's the training of the brain?  Thoughts?
Also, my first round over the weekend didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  I was all over the place with all the clubs distance wise.  

This is also a problem hitting balls back to back on a range or simulator. You always try to make the next one better and it generally doesn’t go well.
  • Like 1

Have any of you done the excercises and then practice? I’m thinking of getting this for the winter but my only time to do it would be before I practice after work

@Golfnut - I'm starting to learn the difference between harder and faster - I can't quite articulate that difference yet but I'm pretty well spot on when I think - I was faster with that swing than the last one and very close at predicting the number that it will be.  Super Speed certainly teaches that effort is not what produces great speed - it's timing - when you hit the time with that step through the number pops and it's effortless!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, revkev said:

@Golfnut - I'm starting to learn the difference between harder and faster - I can't quite articulate that difference yet but I'm pretty well spot on when I think - I was faster with that swing than the last one and very close at predicting the number that it will be.  Super Speed certainly teaches that effort is not what produces great speed - it's timing - when you hit the time with that step through the number pops and it's effortless!

Precisely that.
Hard is not fast. The harder you try to hit the ball, the more tension you put into your arms, the slower you tend to swing.

It's easy to focus on "hitting the ball", but then you see the ball as your end point and as if you're smacking an axe into a tree trunk. The reality is that hitting a golf ball effectively requires tremendously little force in human terms, so seeing the swing as being something you want to do quickly and the impact with the golf ball as being just an incidental collision in the middle of the swing will generally produce better results.

Think "swing fast, with the path passing through the ball" rather than "hit the ball" and you'll get speed with far less effort.

• Like 3

Does anyone notice that when you are swinging with the monitor right in front of you, the number pops up, you tend to try and swing harder to beat that number?  And of course in doing so, the number is actually less.  I tend to swing harder for some reason.  But when I don't look at that the number and just swing, the numbers actually stay the same or even higher.  I guess that's the training of the brain?  Thoughts?
Also, my first round over the weekend didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  I was all over the place with all the clubs distance wise.  
One of the guys that I played with on Saturday made the comment that having the monitor was like a carnival game. I think you're on to something with this thought. I know I kept trying to crank it out, which was absurd. My buddy was anywhere between 105-112, I can't do that....yet. I will say he was all over the place, but dang, that was impressive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've noticed the harder is not faster thing too. I remember growing up playing baseball it was the same thing. You try to strangle the bat and you'll have terrible results. Stay loose and feel like the bat may slip out of your hands and you can crush some balls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

@ Har in the Hat
Super Speed is not about fitness it is about retraining the mind to allow the body to swing the club faster.  Because golf is a physical activity and especially because we often fail to train our non-dominant muscle groups it makes sense that there would be some initial soreness - stuff is being used that here to fore hasn't.  Physical conditioning though is not the goal.  I know that we had a bit of difficulty understanding this as a group at first so it's important to communicate that here as often as possible.

I might add that the case study in the blog was informative in this regard.  The professional golfer in question had spent a year doing physical training to increase his SS with very little result.  He has had a great experience with SS. 

Future protocols do add additional drills but I believe these are added to allow us to swing faster still and continue to reprogram our minds to swinging at a higher rate.  It's hard to describe the feeling of your SS going from around 90 to almost 110 in a couple of weeks even if that higher speed is with a lighter non-club and doesn't hold.  It feels very strange and really powerful.  I don't know that I ever swung a club that fast given that when I was young enough to we still had wooden drivers with very heavy metal shafts (or the earlier advent of metal woods like the things that Nifty keeps showing us)  I know that my SS was in the low/mid 100's in the early 2000's - that's when I started paying attention to those things so I'm faster with the lightest, green club, now than I was with a driver then. 
thanks for that Rev.
understood.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Week 2:
Another week, another post!

I don’t have a Driver swing speed update this week because the course I played yesterday didn’t have a range. I can confirm however, that the warm-up routine supplied by SuperSpeed Golf does wonders pre-round. I am normally one of those who needs 30-40 balls on the range to feel ready for the first tee, so being a on a course without a range, I normally take a few holes to get warm. Yesterday, following the SuperSpeed warm-up, I got to the tee feeling fully ready to start the round and par’d the first hole right out of the gate!

There has been a lot of concern in the thread about swing sequencing and how the SuperSpeed program could negatively impact it. For this reason, I was very focused during my round on observing any inconsistencies off the tee. Personally, I didn’t notice anything off with my swing, everything felt normal. I will add  that I already have a significant over-the-top move in my normal swing, so this could be the reason I am not seeing any sequencing issues (I believe the people mentioning swing sequencing issues made reference to feeling like they were coming over the top more?). During the round, I hit 8/13 fairways, which is the same as my average prior to starting the SuperSpeed training. As for distance, I wasn’t measuring, but I didn’t notice any gains or losses in yardage, this is something I will have to make a point of measuring going forward. 

To the numbers we go! My right handed swings have continued to increase, and even though my maximum speeds aren’t increasing a lot, I am seeing more numbers near my maximum than during the first week. My left hand swings, on the other hand (pun intended?), actually decreased a couple mph. I don’t have any speculation as to why for now, but I will be interested to see if I can get those numbers trending upwards over the next week.

SSG - Week 2.PNG

• Like 5

Weeks 1 & 2

It's taking some getting used to-- especially swinging like a lefty (I'm a righty golfer).  Warm-ups have been beneficial in order to stretch some of those muscles that haven't been extended in quite some time.  With the weather turning much colder here, I've had to complete the protocols indoors.  The frustrating thing is that, for all practical purposes, the golf season is over around here.  So, I won't be able to judge just what effect the protocols are having upon my ball flight.

But, the swing speeds have increased from the first two second weeks, except for a few minor glitches.  But, even though there might be a slight decrease, every once in a while, I wanted to record things accurately so as not to skew the results.  I think that the true comparison for the test will be those figures that appear in the final column-- namely, what is the increase swinging with my dominant side after going through each series of exercises.

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Hopefully nobody will mind my intrusion as I wasn't formally selected to be in this trial but I couldn't resist purchasing the Swing Sticks on my own. I'm about a month in and have started to see both gains in distance and accuracy and couldn't be more excited about using these guys all off-season to get ready for next March or so. Because I've already started, here's the background to get you up to speed:

I'm 27 years old and just really started getting seriously into golf last year around this time. After a few rounds in July and August of 2017 I decided I needed to get some lessons and really focus on building a legitimate swing heading into 2018. I got a pack of lessons with an instructor near by, whose simulator I can use even when I'm not getting a lesson, who's goal was to take my over-the-top wild slice and turn it into a little baby draw. Easier said than done but after months of hard work in the simulator I came out on the other side with the wanted baby draw on all of my wedges, mid, and short irons. Long Irons and 3w I was a bit less consistent with, and the driver---well, lets just be straight forward here, the driver was so bad it stayed in the bag until the middle of 2018. 

By July 4th-ish I had gotten to the point all of my clubs were drawing the ball except my driver. On the simulator with the driver my swing speeds are mostly 115-ish but 60% of my shots are slices and 25% of them are hooks. I simply couldn't use my driver. To make it worse, my 3-wood gets me 270 when I hit it right and the driver only would go 275-280 when I hit it on the screws. I knew there was juice left in the driver somewhere but without being able to tap into it---my driver was useless. Fast forward to the Swing Speed offer on MGS. I signed up for it, ultimately didn't get picked, but my interest was there so I figured I'm probably the perfect person to use these. My hope isn't even for extra speed. It's really for accuracy, which the SS is designed to help. If I can pick up an extra 5MPH to get over 120, that'd be great, but I was hoping that my body learning to swing really fast---and potentially control a 140+ MPH swing with the light sticks---would really help me control my ball striking on my driver. 

Control Test: The day the sticks came, I went to the simulator to take 15 aggressive drivers swings, without regard for where the ball went---just to get a baseline MPH. The average was 116.5 MPH and I broke 118 MPH once.

I didn't splurge on the radar so my numbers are only my driver swing speed on the same simulator (literally the same one, he's got 2 in his shop but for consistencies sake---I'm only using the one for this). I did the initial protocol twice before heading back to the simulator, hoping that I would see the "initial jump" that I read so much about. And my hopes were rewarded. In the 15-swing sample I averaged over 118 and cracked 120 a few times---for the first time ever. I even got over 121 once. Woah. That old average distance of 275-280 was now a solid 290+ with a handful of 300 yarders. My old furthest hit of 305 was smashed with a  315 yard blast. There is nothing like putting in work and actually seeing results. 

That was about 3 weeks ago and since then I've graduated to the Level one protocol. The big difference between the starting protocol and Level-1 is that you take 5 swings per set in the Level 1 vs. only 3 in the initial protocol. The difference is a workout of 40 swings (I broke a little bit of a sweat, but didn't really feel anything as I do normally work out for 20 minutes a night three times per week or so) compared to 65 swings. When I am done my Level 1 protocol I can now feel it. ([ IMPORTANT: Use your golf glove when doing this---even if it makes you look like a ******** in your gym. I didn't use gloves the for my first "Level 1" day and the heavy stick actually flew out of my hand and snapped in half. Cost me $65 to get a replacement shipped, thankfully nobody got hurt. But the lesson is simple: Use gloves for grip, these are not the best grips on earth). I'm generally sore in my hands, forearms and recently a little bit in my right elbow. I normally have a strong grip but I swing these with a death grip now as I'm petrified I'll have another club fly out of my hands. Also, my left calf feels a bit weird when I swing lefty. 

*The Big Breakthrough*

So last Saturday, the 6th, I got out for a scramble with some buddies. I like scrambles because I can actually try to hit my driver---whereas if I'm trying to score by myself I need to hit 3-wood or 2-iron off the tee. I was about 4 weeks into the training (I only did 2 weeks of initial protocol, not 4, because I feel I'm already in very good shape and wanted to progress a bit faster) and was still at that 118.5ish MPH on the simulator---so I haven't seen a second jump yet. But I'm out there trying to hit my driver and it's spraying all over the place. Mostly fading balls 30 yards right of my target, still hooking too many and no good drives, at all thru 16. Then we step up to 17 which is a par-5 dog leg right. I had been practicing a cut-drive (opposed to my normal attempted draw) a bit as it's very hard for me to swing as hard as possible (or close to it) and close my club face. So I think to myself, "If I aim to the left side of the fairway---leaving me a good, safe, area in the rough to land if I miss a bit left (which I rarely do, If I'm left, I hook it)---then my normal fade will be on the right side of the fairway. If you cant swing hard and close your club face (which is what I was trying to do all day---hit the draw), then play to that fade." So naturally I crushed a 300 yard fade off the tee, leaving us 200 out for a very easy birdie, thus winning the scramble. Woah. Legit first good 300 yard drive on the course in my life. Next hole? Pretty straight 320 yard par 4. I aim at the left green side bunker--- If it's hit perfectly straight, I'm short of the bunker, in the rough in great shape. If I'm left, there's plenty of grass between the sand and the tree-line and if I'm right I have all the fairway and the rough. I go a little bit more right than I'd have liked---but crushed it, carried about 290 to the cart path, got a good kick, and I sat pin-high to the right of the right green side bunker. 2 crushed drives in a row---never happened before. 

Now we fast forward to this past Sunday. I'm in a match and my opponent is all over the place so I'm playing it safe and just hitting 2-iron in the fairway, getting near the green, and winning holes with bogeys. Once I get up 4 holes I take out the driver. Hit 5 of them on the back. Found 3 fairways and another one in the rough with a good look to the green. All 270+, 3 of em were 300. The miss was a playable hook that went about 150. So at this point 6 of my last 7 drives have been long and straight (ish). I've kept my stats all year: before these two rounds I hit less than 1/4 fairways with the driver and less than 1/2 of fairways with my "accurate" 2i. In just 5 weeks of the SuperSpeed training system I've picked up a few MPH on my drives---but more importantly learning to swing hard is significantly helping my accuracy. I'm so excited to get back into the simulator this week and then on the course on Sunday! 

• Like 7

Welcome aboard! It's great to hear your story and have you share your experiences with the SuperSpeed program. I'm glad to hear that someone who is further along with the protocols is finding better accuracy. The first time I played after starting the program it was all over the place. The thing I've noticed is better contact off the fairway. I'm not chunking or topping the ball as bad. Keep us informed on how your doing, and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

@sgold7

It’s fine to have you jump in and comment. Just remember that besides testing Super Speed we are testing a new set of protocols that are a bit different from what’s on the website. So yours won’t exactly correspond to what we are doing.

Glad to see you’re having good results!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Really enjoyed reading about what your experience has been, SGOLD7!   Lots of interesting information there and extremely encouraging to those of us who have been picked to do the reviews.  Thank you!!  Please continue to keep us posted!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, revkev said:

Just remember that besides testing Super Speed we are testing a new set of protocols that are a bit different from what’s on the website.

I was unaware of this. I've also deviated from the advised path as they want you doing the initial protocol for 4 weeks and I moved on after just 2. Trying to figure out what works best for me with the immediate goal of driver accuracy improvement more important than the longer-term goal of increased swing speed. 

Where can I find the distinction between what the website advises compared to what you guys are specifically doing with the new set of protocols?

48 minutes ago, sgold7 said:

I was unaware of this. I've also deviated from the advised path as they want you doing the initial protocol for 4 weeks and I moved on after just 2. Trying to figure out what works best for me with the immediate goal of driver accuracy improvement more important than the longer-term goal of increased swing speed. 

Where can I find the distinction between what the website advises compared to what you guys are specifically doing with the new set of protocols?

I would imagine you can't yet. They want these new protocols tested, so the guys doing the test / review will have been briefed on the procedure and left to it.
We won't know what those new protocols are, probably until SuperSpeed decide to release them...
That is my guess though, if someone from the test group could confirm....?

As Jon surmised they don't have the new protocols on the website as yet.  From what I can tell though the changes are practical in nature.  For example they've done away with the 4 week introductory protocol and go right into level 1 which lasts 6 weeks - it includes the dynamic warm up, 3 dominant and non-dominant swings with each weighted club, the step through swings three each and then three dominant swings with the lightest club. 

We don't track that initial bump either - no swings with the real driver at the end of a session - we tracked our driver speed as an average of fives shots when we started will again at the end of level 1. 

I was very fast yesterday afternoon - while my top number remained the same with the green sticks I hit my top speed three days rather than once, was 5 MPH faster with the blue than ever before and almost always over 100 with the green dominant side on all swings. 

I'm playing Friday (weather permitting) and again on Sunday so we will see how it goes.

14 minutes ago, revkev said:

level 1 which lasts 6 weeks - it includes the dynamic warm up, 3 dominant and non-dominant swings with each weighted club, the step through swings three each and then three dominant swings with the lightest club. 

What's described here is the initial protocol---not level 1. I'm under the assumption that the initial protocol is 3 swings with each stick from each side---one regular swing set, one step thru and then the close with 5 green regular swings. Level 1 is FIVE swings from each side with each stick---with the first set being knee swings, the second set being full regular swings, the third set being step thrus and then the close with the 5 aggressive regular swings with the light stick. 

So it sounds like you're describing that they changed the name of the "Initial protocol" to "Level 1" because the routine is the same. 

1 hour ago, sgold7 said:

What's described here is the initial protocol---not level 1. I'm under the assumption that the initial protocol is 3 swings with each stick from each side---one regular swing set, one step thru and then the close with 5 green regular swings. Level 1 is FIVE swings from each side with each stick---with the first set being knee swings, the second set being full regular swings, the third set being step thrus and then the close with the 5 aggressive regular swings with the light stick. 

So it sounds like you're describing that they changed the name of the "Initial protocol" to "Level 1" because the routine is the same. 

Yes, there is no longer an initial protocol in what we're testing. The initial protocol is now our Level 1 and lasts for 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks. Our Level 2 should be similar to the current Level 1, but again, I think the length is different. I haven't done much comparison beyond that because it's still so far away, but I think there are some swing exercise changes coming in the later Levels.

I had to alter my Protocol schedule last weekend since I was traveling to Spokane.  I usually do the Protocol on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.  However, I performed it on Saturday morning before we left on our trip, then again on Tuesday afternoon when we returned.  I will perform my 3rd one this week on Thursday.  I will continue this schedule this weekend because we are traveling again until Monday afternoon.  

On Saturday it was just after the sun came up and temp was in high 30's .  My results were a little lower than usual.  I will say that if I ever do the Protocol early in the morning again, I will NOT travel 2.5 hours, wait for a 2 hour frost delay, and then play 18 holes on a course that I have only play a few times.  My driver was all over the place, and if I hadn't scrambled pretty well, my score would have been terrible!!