TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

On 1/17/2019 at 8:52 AM, revkev said:

I appreciate everyone's answers to Mike's question but I want to be sure that we also note that the authority, Daisy, said that it is okay to rest - in fact she is the one who suggested it when my speeds were lagging a bit at the start of level two.  As I recall she mentioned a rest period of something like 20 seconds.  Take that or leave it but it is what the expert suggested.

While I'd hate to see anyone make it their norm Kyle also stated that two workouts in a week are the minimum to increase and maintain speed, three is preferred however - this was when I had the head cold and also work was so hectic that it was a real struggle to fit workouts in.  I did have two such two session weeks - not in succession but interspersed during the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I feel badly about that but life made it that way - SuperSpeed is a marathon - there will be slower miles caused by the obstacles that pop up along the way. 🙂

So @ Mike I think its very safe to take little breaks between clubs or even between swings, I followed the SuperSpeed trainers suggestion and my increases have been spot on what SuperSpeed touts.  I don't know what the impact of a minute break would be however, none of us have tried that and that is not an interval that SuperSpeed mentioned.  I know that they don't mind questions, why not reach out to them for an answer to that question?  We'd all love to hear both the answer and your experience with their customer service.

I recently read a great comment from my fitness group through work.  To get fit you don't have to be perfect - just better than what you were doing before - keep getting better at it and you will become more fit.

Most of us have lifestyles that make it impossible to be perfect in our SuperSpeed workouts - we have dogs (love that picture), and cats and kids and spouses and day jobs.  Most of us never did anything to try and increase our swing speed so doing something like this as close to optimally as possible for us - will increase our driver SS.

Finally I will add that the SuperSpeed Golf team appears to be dedicated to bringing its program to golfers like us.  Most of the players they've worked with in the past have had access to high tech means of testing golf swings - things like ground interaction, swing sequencing, etc.  They recognize that we don't so they've developed simple tests for us to use in determining what special drills we will add into our level 3 protocols in order to help increase our SS's further.  It's pretty cool to be working with a group that gets our limitations.  It's very cool to realize that we are a test group not only for helping the consumer but for helping the OEM in improving it's product and service.

Thanks Kevin for restating our recommendations! We appreciate your support! (p.s. 30 second rest between sets is optimal!) 

On 1/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, Bucky CC said:

Does anyone listen to music while they do the training protocols?  I didn't for the first 6-8 weeks but have since then and found it's a great way to keep my energy up and stay motivated.  I have no evidence it actually increases my speeds at all, but it does seem to make training more fun.

Music is a great way to motivate yourself when training. One long drive champion I have worked with before actually listens to techno/edm music to get him pumped up. He finds it helps him max out on each swing. I personally find it can help release adrenaline which helps me to increase my speed! Try it!

On 1/20/2019 at 2:53 PM, Mike Lambert said:

Thanks @sirchunksalot - much appreciated!

I think you are right about not having a problem getting to 90 with a ball there...I played a round of indoor golf yesterday, and the drives I hit well off the tee registered between 190 and 195 yards, which looks like around 90 mph on the club head speed graph that came with the radar.  My swing is a bit all over the place, but that's OK for now since I'm just concentrating on speed.

I figure there are 3 things I need to do to improve my driving:  (1) speed, which I'm doing here, (2) hitting the ball on the sweet spot, and (3) hit the ball more on the upswing to get a higher launch angle.  I'll be able to start working on 2 and 3 in the spring, and maybe 2 or 3 rounds a month of indoor simulated golf over the next 2 months or so will help a little).  My birthday is in March and I can order, uh...I mean ask my wife to get me a SC200 Voice Caddy (and a couple of cans of Dr Scholl's spray for my driver) just in time to be able to start getting outside.  I noticed where @revkev mentioned he was getting around 210 - 220 yds at about 88 mph, so makes me think that if I can improve in all three of those areas, I should be able to get into that neighborhood if I work at it.

Great point about checking impact point on the club face. Speed is important but so is impact point. That is why we just released another company called Strike Spray where we sell a golf specific impact spray with adapted ingredients to make it thicker (so you don't have to use as much) and also it wipes off easier. Go to www.strikespray.com to get your set of 3 cans today! 

Okay I hope SuperSpeed checks in again because here we go from the Twilight Zone better known as the Revs back yard:

IMG_1616.thumb.JPG.95921199fa0f3af12cf120cf95527ece.JPG

Green stick regular swing. Fastest in that drill by 6 mph. Suddenly, I thought, maybe I will hit 120 one day.

IMG_1617.thumb.JPG.5abf28aba03ee152015cb45cddfa6417.JPG

Blue stick regular swing, 113 righty and 108 lefty. fastest on both by 3 mph

IMG_1618.thumb.JPG.2710744e1ce533e13024b8f9ea9ee30c.JPG

Green stick, double step. I guess I will hit 120 someday and that day was today.

And then....

IMG_1619.thumb.JPG.2aaf5634c3963f7251381a6ae9f559df.JPG

The middle of the last three swings the 120 came up with a regular swing green, too.

Oh and For good measure I went 106 righty and lefty with the red club for new records there. I have no earthly idea how this is happening but it is. It’s fun. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay I hope SuperSpeed checks in again because here we go from the Twilight Zone better known as the Revs back yard:

Green stick regular swing. Fastest in that drill by 6 mph. Suddenly, I thought, maybe I will hit 120 one day.

Green stick, double step. I guess I will hit 120 someday and that day was today.

And then....

The middle of the last three swings the 120 came up with a regular swing green, too.

Oh and For good measure I went 106 righty and lefty with the red club for new records there. I have no earthly idea how this is happening but it is. It’s fun. :)

Those are some great numbers rev! I'm glad to see you hit the 120 milestone and had record numbers across the board. I think I see 105 mph average drives in your future. It's funny how the swings will stagnate then one day, boom! I bet you were grinning ear to ear at the end of your session.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1 hour ago, revkev said:

And then....

Oh and For good measure I went 106 righty and lefty with the red club for new records there. I have no earthly idea how this is happening but it is. It’s fun. 🙂

I need to build myself a garage!!!!!!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I need to build myself a garage!!!!!!

It’s really sick - how well this works if you just stick to it. But the stuff on the course - when you play a place you haven’t in a year and you have your group and the group on the green ahead of you staring at you because you’re past the cart sign right in the middle ... again? It’s priceless.

And for me to play a 415 yard hole with a 7 iron second? I didn’t even flush the drive, either.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It’s really sick - how well this works if you just stick to it. But the stuff on the course - when you play a place you haven’t in a year and you have your group and the group on the green ahead of you staring at you because you’re past the cart sign right in the middle ... again? It’s priceless.

And for me to play a 415 yard hole with a 7 iron second? I didn’t even flush the drive, either.

This thread has been a great read and I admire everyone’s commitment. I know this is a long term effort and if I had an indoor option I would have a set.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

Thanks for your question! When training for speed you tend to recruit energy from a system that depletes fairly quickly. Therefore we recommend taking 30 second rest intervals after each set. 1 set can be defined as 3 swings each side with each club. Just like when you're working out!

You don't want to rest too long between light medium and heavy as you want the brain to hold onto the new information (faster speed) when you swing the next club so you maintain the same speed with the heavier club. A few seconds to write down numbers is fine. When you hit balls after your very first session you will see that after 10-15 balls the speed will wear off and you will need to repeat the SuperSpeed training in order for your body to remember that speed permanently. 

I hope this answered your question about when to rest during SuperSpeed training.

Thanks, this does answer my question. Based on similar answers from some of the other posters here, that’s what I’ve settled into.  It’s good to get confirmation, but even better, the underlying concepts of getting my brain to learn faster speeds. 

8 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

Great point about checking impact point on the club face. Speed is important but so is impact point. That is why we just released another company called Strike Spray where we sell a golf specific impact spray with adapted ingredients to make it thicker (so you don't have to use as much) and also it wipes off easier. Go to www.strikespray.com to get your set of 3 cans today! 

Cool, I’ll check that out!  

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This thread has been a great read and I admire everyone’s commitment. I know this is a long term effort and if I had an indoor option I would have a set.

Also want to add that I’ve learned a lot reading through this entire thread since I stumbled across it in mid December.  Boy, am I glad I decided to start the training myself.  

Can’t wait to start playing again in the spring - I got a little taste of what revkev is talking about regarding extra distance on Saturday when I met some buddies at a golf simulator.  I’m not sure how accurate these things really are compared to real life, but I was hitting my drives further than other times I’ve been there - even had one register 256 yards (although that hole had a 50’ drop from the tee to the pin), and I hit a 52 degree wedge 121 virtual yards.

By the time I can start hitting balls outside, I believe the speed gains will be locked in and I can start working on improving the face strike in addition to continuing the SS protocols.

Also want to add that I’ve learned a lot reading through this entire thread since I stumbled across it in mid December.  Boy, am I glad I decided to start the training myself.  
Can’t wait to start playing again in the spring - I got a little taste of what revkev is talking about regarding extra distance on Saturday when I met some buddies at a golf simulator.  I’m not sure how accurate these things really are compared to real life, but I was hitting my drives further than other times I’ve been there - even had one register 256 yards (although that hole had a 50’ drop from the tee to the pin), and I hit a 52 degree wedge 121 virtual yards.
By the time I can start hitting balls outside, I believe the speed gains will be locked in and I can start working on improving the face strike in addition to continuing the SS protocols.

This is what I would envision as the ideal for the person who has a place to workout in the off-season! Go get ‘em!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

1 minute ago, revkev said:

This is what I would envision as the ideal for the person who has a place to workout in the off-season! Go get ‘em!

It’s definitely great to be able to hit some balls for a couple of hours on a Saturday, and a lot of fun!  

1 hour ago, Mike Lambert said:

Spring’s not too far away, never too late to start!

It isn't the spring/summer that is the issue.  This in my mind is a year round commitment and being honest,  going out in the weather would be prohibitive. 

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

It isn't the spring/summer that is the issue.  This in my mind is a year round commitment and being honest,  going out in the weather would be prohibitive. 

Good point - it’s definitely a commitment and if you don’t have a place where you can swing away in the winter, you’ll have to take a break for a few months.

For me, even after just 10 weeks, I’m seeing a big improvement.  Granted, having only been playing for 3 years, I think I had a lot more room for improvement compared to guys here that have been playing 30 years, but if I don’t get any faster than where I am now by the end of the summer, it’s still worth it.

I guess what I’m saying is that if cost and 20-25 mins 3 days a week aren’t limiting factors, don’t rule it out if you can only commit to say 4 or 5 months.  On there  other hand, this time last year, I had big plans to hit balls at the range, do chipping drills in the back yard, etc, but never got an organized plan together so that all fell by the wayside.  I’m finding that having a structured set of protocols to follow makes a big difference.

18 hours ago, revkev said:

And then....

Oh and For good measure I went 106 righty and lefty with the red club for new records there. I have no earthly idea how this is happening but it is. It’s fun. 🙂

Way to go RevKev! Awesome gains and a great example of what comes from dedication. Your next goal is to hit 125mph with green on your final 3 swings. Has everyone else set themselves speed goals with each club? What are they? 

On 2/5/2019 at 8:50 PM, revkev said:

That’s already happening - one of my friends has taken two lessons since the last time we played trying to figure out how to hit it longer - the killer for him was hitting hybrid on a par 3 where I hit 8 iron.

For those who are wondering I don’t seem to be having any trouble with driver fit wise but I’m concerned about the shafts in my irons. I think they are starting to launch too high and balloon on me a bit. I did turn driver down a click - but my fitter told me last spring that the lowest loft I’m comfortable is where I need to be at. I’m hitting ropes with it.

I am really glad you mentioned club fitting. We recommend getting fitted for new clubs in the plateau phases during SuperSpeed training (see graph below). As you get faster and stronger you will outgrow your equipment which is SO important for not only your game overall but especially club speed and distance. 

SuperSpeed Progression Graph.png

On 1/21/2019 at 6:03 PM, revkev said:

IMG_1593.JPGIMG_1594.JPG

Nice to have a gym at your disposal but note to self - put a mat down when doing these workouts. I’ve done an indoor workout at a hotel fitness center and a couple at the club fitness center.

The floor is slippery enough that traction was tough - my speed was a little down because of that. It shows you how important the ground really is to speed.

If you're sliding on gym floor there are a few solutions...first option is to do it barefoot which will help you feel the ground better anyway. Second option is to spray hairspray on the bottom of your shoe which stops you from slipping (a little trick we learned wearing ballet shoes). Let it dry though ;P! The ground is so important and without any traction you cannot activate the muscles needed to create power. The only golf shoes I know that are actually tested and constructed using force and pressure are FootJoy. Anything spongy or with a thick heel avoid. 

On 1/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, Mike Lambert said:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, I haven't really thought about ground interaction before.  I bookmarked an article on about ground contact on (I think) Adam Young's site, but haven't read it yet. 

Also, I'll definitely give the ground interaction drills a try when I get there, thanks for the tip!

Mike, if you're interested then I would recommend checking out BodiTrak's website as they have good information on their insights page too. Lots of articles to read: https://www.boditraksports.com/insights/. If you have any questions about the ground or how to individualize your speed training please feel free to email me daisy@superspeedgolf.com I would be happy to help.

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

So if you started in the Spring - say March - you could get six or seven months in by November - you would have a significant swing speed gain locked in.  I think your situation is ideal - schedule your workouts on days when you aren't testing equipment and you would really lock your swing in.

Just saying...

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 1/27/2019 at 5:39 PM, Bucky CC said:

Talked to Daisy and she said it’s perfectly fine to start the ASD sessions before week 20. Not sure how I’m going to do the turf test with a foot of snow coming tonight but I’ll figure something out.

I just want to clarify that you should wait until you see your second jump before starting the ASD protocols.  We say week 20 as a landmark for everyone to follow along with as we expect to see the second jump before week 20. But as you know, everyone is different! Email me if you want the ASD protocols to work on with your coach. daisy@superspeedgolf.com

On 1/29/2019 at 2:29 PM, Mike Lambert said:

I sent an email to info@superspeedgolf.com asking about it, and they sent me a PDF with the protocols, and also suggested it would be best to find a certified TPI/Superspeed trainer, or possibly look at a certification program they will be rolling out in the near future, but that appears to be geared to instructors, not a novice like me.  Looking at the descriptions, it looks like something I would need to work with someone on, at least for an assessment.

Mike,

Glad you got the ASD protocols. Our online certification has 3 levels all filled with awesome information (although I am biased because I built it) that is useful for coaches AND SuperSpeed users. It will highlight common mistakes, best practices for training and then in levels 2&3 we delve into the biomechanics behind the 3 components of speed: ground force mechanics, rotational sequencing and lag. We have had a lot of novice SuperSpeed users join the pre-sign up list wanting to learn more about the game, not just coaches!!! www.superspeedcertified.com.

If you can't do the tests for the ASD's, or if you don't have a coach go ahead and implement all 3. It wont hurt you! Replace 1/3 training days with the ASD-1 Change Up Protocol for 6 weeks and then move onto ASD-2 for 6 weeks and then ASD-3. Don't be concerned if you run into level 4.

All the new protocol videos and instruction sheets will be on our new up and coming website in due course!

ASD Instruction Manual.pdf

On 2/1/2019 at 1:06 PM, Mike Lambert said:

Week 2 of the second level is in the books.  Had my best session yet today, which was a surprise because my right should has been a little stiff & sore the past few days (Why?  Who knows, I'm 56 😉 ) and with the outdoor temperature about 7 right now, even the garage is pretty cold.  Broke the 100 mph barrier in a couple of new columns, pretty psyched about that!

Like some others have mentioned, I was a little concerned early on about what trying to swing as fast as I can would do to my form, but I'm starting to feel that is actually is starting to help because my body needs to move more efficiently to swing faster and my brain is now starting to make adjustments which turn into better form.  And I believe that is the whole basis underlying SuperSpeed Golf's system.  I don't believe that specifically stated on SuperSpeed's website, unless I missed it, but it fits right in with Adam Young's training philosophy - and that's kind of how I got here:  Adam Young's blog mentioned Jon Sherman's Practical Golf Site, where I read Jon's review of SSG, which had a comment from someone that linked to this review.

2019-02-01_12-50-26.jpg.139e17021807e87ce76ca366c77960a2.jpg

Great job on breaking 100! You're right it is the basis of the system... You train hard with SuperSpeed don't worry about swing mechanics you're just triggering the brain to fire the muscles faster. Keep up the great work Mike!

On 2/9/2019 at 8:31 PM, revkev said:

Okay since I’m the one who gets to play and see what happens with increased driver swing speed.

Played the South Course at Innisbrook. I played in a tournament on that course a year and a half ago and although I could remember it well it was as if I was playing a different course.

Here are some comparisons (a year ago first)

Number 1 - 330 yard par 4
Driver - 9 iron from 118
Driver - 60 from 67

Number 6 - 380 par 4
Driver - hybrid
Driver - wedge

Number 7 - 410 par 4
Driver - 4 wood
Driver - 7 iron (should have hit 😎

Number 13 400 par 4
Driver - hybrid
Driver - 9 iron

Number 14 560 yard par 5
Driver, 4 wood, hybrid
Driver, 3 wood, 7 iron (into a huge wind)

Totally different game!

Thanks for this information RevKev, really awesome to see that the gains are translating to the course and I couldn't be more proud! Thank you also for your replies on this thread. You have been attentive with the program and following up with me for questions and you may as well work for SuperSpeed with your knowledge now! You guys are the SuperSpeed experts! You can teach all your buddies how to go through it 😄 Or in your case you can teach the pro's! 

On 2/12/2019 at 11:37 AM, revkev said:

@SuperSpeed I don’t know if you saw my earlier post about where I was hitting my approach shots from on Saturday verses a year ago.

415 - driver 4 wood short a year ago - driver 7 iron to the back of the green this year.

I’ve done significant work in all four areas that you mentioned in your reply to one of our posts.

I’ve lost significant weight through a fitness program, my physician is so happy with my progress that he is weaning me off of the heart med I was on, my teacher continues to tweak and of course there’s SuperSpeed - looking forward to seeing the impact of the ASD 2 training protocol -

When we started I was hoping for 95, now I’m wanting to lock in 100 and am greedy enough to want more - 105? Champions tour stuff? Why not?

It’s a goal, I’m goal oriented.

I did and was very impressed. I love goals.... Let's go! We got this!

Ok guys. Good call on getting the swing speed radar to track my progress. Before I was just listening to the swoosh with no music in the background. I could hear the fast ones...they made a different noise. The swing speed radar is definitely more objective....and I can listen to music now since I don’t have to listen for the swoosh. Today was my first day using the radar on the second session of my Level 1 training protocol.  Still have a cold so I was quite winded again during this session just like the last one. I also hope I am faster than I measured today and my illness is slowing me down. Lol!  

Here are my fastest numbers for each session.

R.    L

Kneeling. G:  94. 80

B:  87. 76

R:  80. 79

Standing. G:  106. 97

B:  100. 99

R:  96. 80

Step Change. G:  109. 97

B:  104. 85

R:  94. 85

Standing final swings. 106

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

1 hour ago, joen said:

Ok guys. Good call on getting the swing speed radar to track my progress. Before I was just listening to the swoosh with no music in the background. I could hear the fast ones...they made a different noise. The swing speed radar is definitely more objective....and I can listen to music now since I don’t have to listen for the swoosh. Today was my first day using the radar on the second session of my Level 1 training protocol.  Still have a cold so I was quite winded again during this session just like the last one. I also hope I am faster than I measured today and my illness is slowing me down. Lol!  

Here are my fastest numbers for each session.

R.    L

Kneeling. G:  94. 80

B:  87. 76

R:  80. 79

Standing. G:  106. 97

B:  100. 99

R:  96. 80

Step Change. G:  109. 97

B:  104. 85

R:  94. 85

Standing final swings. 106

Nice max speed with the step change! Keep it up 

@joen, great numbers with the radar! I'm glad to see you have incorporated it into your training. It has definitely been an invaluable tool for motivation. There's just something about seeing the gains and striving to get faster that really gets the juices flowing. Keep it up!

Way to go RevKev! Awesome gains and a great example of what comes from dedication. Your next goal is to hit 125mph with green on your final 3 swings. Has everyone else set themselves speed goals with each club? What are they? 
Right now my goals are to hit 120 with the yellow, 116 with the green, and 112 with the blue clubs. This is just two mph above my current highs so far in training. After that I'm setting my sights on 125, 120, and 115. I'm like rev, I want to see 100 mph average drives in the next couple of months.

I emailed Daisy about the difference in weight between my old driver and the G400 I recently put in the bag and whether or not it would have cause a difference in my swing speed. I went to the driving range today and only saw a difference of 1/10 mph between the two in favor of the G400. (Turbluators?) I had a high speed of 105 with both clubs, but it was a day that I wasn't consistently as fast. I'm not worried about that, I have developed a bit of a case of the yips with my driver and am hitting down on the ball so I was more focused on solid contact than speed.

I'm planning on doing more testing between the two and planning to still use my burned to report on my swing speed numbers at the end of each phase of the protocols.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app