hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

Sorry for not being on the topic much lately; I've been depressed by the month-long snow storms and below freezing temperatures.  We still have snow, but the forecast is for warmer weather, and we might finally get rid of this sh!t in a week or two.  

I haven't done a protocol since February 2, and that was only one day after a two week trip to AZ, so I really haven't done any training since January 17.  I've chatted with Daisy via email, and I am going to revert back to the end of the Level 2 protocol for a week.  If I have similar speeds as I did in January, then I will start Level 3 over again.  If my speed is down, I will continue Level 2 until I get to my January numbers.

I really hate being so far behind the rest of my testing peers, but I'm committed to the full 72 weeks of the SuperSpeed training regimen.  I hope that comes before the next snowfall!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Sorry for not being on the topic much lately; I've been depressed by the month-long snow storms and below freezing temperatures.  We still have snow, but the forecast is for warmer weather, and we might finally get rid of this sh!t in a week or two.  

I haven't done a protocol since February 2, and that was only one day after a two week trip to AZ, so I really haven't done any training since January 17.  I've chatted with Daisy via email, and I am going to revert back to the end of the Level 2 protocol for a week.  If I have similar speeds as I did in January, then I will start Level 3 over again.  If my speed is down, I will continue Level 2 until I get to my January numbers.

I really hate being so far behind the rest of my testing peers, but I'm committed to the full 72 weeks of the SuperSpeed training regimen.  I hope that comes before the next snowfall!!!

Hang in there Kenny!

• Like 1

Just finished Week 7 of phase 2 (13 weeks in all now).  Last couple of weeks I've only been able to do the protocol twice a week - I changed jobs last month and my schedule has shifted a little (taking the 6:29 AM commuter train instead of the 8:20 AM), so I'm doing the protocols after work instead of before (except Friday when I work from home).  I was wondering what the effect would be on my swing speed.  Pretty interesting result today, I hit new highs on all the clubs on my dominant side, but all the lefty swings were down a bit.

Like Kenny, lots of snow and cold here (14" on Monday, it's been in the teens since Tuesday, and another snow storm scheduled for Sunday, but with any luck it'll change over to rain and start warming up).

image.png.06cc921a464c4ccf00daf6218f09fd30.png

• Like 5

@KennyB hopefully the weather will clear up for you soon and you'll be able to get back at it. Not having a place to do the protocols indoors can be frustrating some times. It sounds like you have a good plan for starting back, when the opportunity comes around.
@Mike Lambert keep up the good work! Those are some pretty impressive numbers you're putting up. Don't worry too much about the left handed swings, I think we all have had stretches where we've seen both drop offs and gains on that side. I'm anxious to see your gains when you're able to get outside and hit some balls.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Really sorry to hear this Kenny. Hang in there, Spring will be here soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It's not weird.  I believe most of us have observed this as well.  Think about it.  What's better... pulling the club down from the top of your backswing with your dominant side, or pushing the club down with your dominant side? Pulling gets the club in the slot; pushing tends to promote over-the-top moves and a swing that relies more on body rotation, which is slower than letting the arms release.  Most of us amateurs tend to overuse our dominant side on the downswing, I know I do.

Knowing what I know now, I would have started playing golf left-handed even though I was totally uncoordinated.  The only downside was the lack of LH clubs!!

Makes total sense. Although I don’t know if I would want to be a left handed golfer. I always hear them complaining that the club they want isn’t available in a LH model. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike Lambert said:

Just finished Week 7 of phase 2 (13 weeks in all now).  Last couple of weeks I've only been able to do the protocol twice a week - I changed jobs last month and my schedule has shifted a little (taking the 6:29 AM commuter train instead of the 8:20 AM), so I'm doing the protocols after work instead of before (except Friday when I work from home).  I was wondering what the effect would be on my swing speed.  Pretty interesting result today, I hit new highs on all the clubs on my dominant side, but all the lefty swings were down a bit.

Like Kenny, lots of snow and cold here (14" on Monday, it's been in the teens since Tuesday, and another snow storm scheduled for Sunday, but with any luck it'll change over to rain and start warming up).

image.png.06cc921a464c4ccf00daf6218f09fd30.png

Awesome numbers. Interested to see your new driver swing speed!

• Like 1

Just finished week 23 workouts.  My back is much better so typical morning workout today which means speed a little off my top speeds but much better than at the start.  For kicks I hit a few drivers into the net and measured out at 102 average which is off the 104.4 for a few weeks ago but significantly better than the 91 to start.  It should also be noted that the 104 was on a nice warm, afternoon and the 102 on a cool morning - I've clearly established that I'm faster in the afternoon.

I did have one record swing this week - left handed red club 109 which is not only the fastest left handed swing with the red or blue club it is the fastest swing with the red club period.

Did I mention that I don't like kneeling swings?  🙂

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

Just finished week 23 workouts.  My back is much better so typical morning workout today which means speed a little off my top speeds but much better than at the start.  For kicks I hit a few drivers into the net and measured out at 102 average which is off the 104.4 for a few weeks ago but significantly better than the 91 to start.  It should also be noted that the 104 was on a nice warm, afternoon and the 102 on a cool morning - I've clearly established that I'm faster in the afternoon.

I did have one record swing this week - left handed red club 109 which is not only the fastest left handed swing with the red or blue club it is the fastest swing with the red club period.

Did I mention that I don't like kneeling swings?  🙂

Impressive stuff there Rev.   109 left handed is faster than anything I have left handed and faster than my red right handed and I thought I was getting better coordination with my left handed swings.  Hoping I see that kind of performance in 21 more weeks.

Really wish the temperatures would get out of the 40s when I am doing my sessions! 

My next question....  My nature is wanting to try and swing these faster and faster.   The first protocol sessions are pretty short .... 39 swings which doesn't take long.   Does anyone keep trying to swing faster after that do the prescribed protocol or are we just supposed to stop?  I am sure there is some kind of fatigue factor that would get involved but I really want to experiment with technique to see what might make me go faster and 3 swings really isn't enough to do tweaks.  Basically I am motivated to do more,  not to shortcut the protocols,  but to try and get better.     

• Like 5

Impressive stuff there Rev.   109 left handed is faster than anything I have left handed and faster than my red right handed and I thought I was getting better coordination with my left handed swings.  Hoping I see that kind of performance in 21 more weeks.
Really wish the temperatures would get out of the 40s when I am doing my sessions! 
My next question....  My nature is wanting to try and swing these faster and faster.   The first protocol sessions are pretty short .... 39 swings which doesn't take long.   Does anyone keep trying to swing faster after that do the prescribed protocol or are we just supposed to stop?  I am sure there is some kind of fatigue factor that would get involved but I really want to experiment with technique to see what might make me go faster and 3 swings really isn't enough to do tweaks.  Basically I am motivated to do more,  not to shortcut the protocols,  but to try and get better.     

Yes, I confess that I’ve thrown in an extra swing now and again. I will do this particularly at the end to push myself and leave on a high note. None of my record speeds have come on an “extra” swing.

The 109 lefty Red was a double step where everything aligned perfectly.

• Like 3

I'm guilty of taking extra swings after the sessions on some occasions. This training becomes addictive after a while and I'll just want more. Sometimes I'll just use it when I have an off day to try to diagnose where I can improve and get faster.
@Revkev, I second that on the kneeling swings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm guilty of taking extra swings after the sessions on some occasions. This training becomes addictive after a while and I'll just want more. Sometimes I'll just use it when I have an off day to try to diagnose where I can improve and get faster.

It is addictive and definitely a way to motivate yourself which is why the radar is so crucial.  I am always disappointed when my last swing of a group is slower than the previous.  I can see myself doing the entire protocol more than once,  but I know it does take a fair amount of effort to swing fast over the entire protocol.  

• Like 3

I had to go to my sister's house today and check on things as she recently had her renter move out. She's living up in Knoxville and I'm thinking about purchasing her place to move my mother-in-law closer to us. One of the best things about her place is she has a detached garage that is plenty spacious for SuperSpeed training on rainy days, so I took advantage of it.

I thought it would be a great chance to get some video and check my sequencing with the half swing drill.

I took a couple of screenshots at the top of my swing, and I apologize for the quality of the pictures since they were taken from video then I downsized them.

Here's my full swing where I'm channeling my inner John Daly:
20190309_163106-01.jpeg

Here's what I felt was a half swing:
20190309_163145-01.jpeg

I'm going to have to rethink what I believe to be a half swing, as that's as long as the backswing I had before starting the training. It's amazing how much more flexibility I've gained with the warm-up and through training.

• Like 5

I had to go to my sister's house today and check on things as she recently had her renter move out. She's living up in Knoxville and I'm thinking about purchasing her place to move my mother-in-law closer to us. One of the best things about her place is she has a detached garage that is plenty spacious for SuperSpeed training on rainy days, so I took advantage of it.

I thought it would be a great chance to get some video and check my sequencing with the half swing drill.

I took a couple of screenshots at the top of my swing, and I apologize for the quality of the pictures since they were taken from video then I downsized them.

Here's my full swing where I'm channeling my inner John Daly:
20190309_163106-01.jpeg.61c7a3f4557a6a24269b714a1d55a261.jpeg

Here's what I felt was a half swing:
20190309_163145-01.jpeg.d9539ef7e909a9ed108a8428a05df972.jpeg

I'm going to have to rethink what I believe to be a half swing, as that's as long as the backswing I had before starting the training. It's amazing how much more flexibility I've gained with the warm-up and through training.

Completely agree, I think that is one of the added benefits of the program is certain areas become more flexible. Only area I've seen a problem with is my wrists have become a lot tighter, I concentrate extra on them during the warmup to prevent injury.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Weight training your swing will no doubt work. Its COMMITTING to training that improves you overall. You do not NEED this device to improve your swing speed but it will help. practice practice practice

Fastest number yet to date. I got 116 with left handed step change swing and with regular swing at end of session right handed with green club. So cool!

530AF4FE-CB84-4C4E-8990-CF67EF007608.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice Joen

I must say that I played my club today - first round there this year - only 4th round this year period and my other three were at reciprocals.

Oh my!!!

I moved back 1/2 set of tees - hit longest driver ever on 4 (into the wind), 7 and 18. Had an Eagle chip on 7, lipped out. Shot 79 with a stinking lousy 7 on 9. :(

But to have 6 iron into 18 (420 par 4 that’s a clone of 18 at Sawgrass) and a decision of whether to go for it or lay up on 2 of the par 5’s (went for 1, layed up on 17 - too much risk). Birdied back to back holes.

I’ve seen the potential of these yardage gains - now that DST is here I can play more and take advantage - I want to get back below a 2.0 - Now I have the potential.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, revkev said:

Nice Joen

I must say that I played my club today - first round there this year - only 4th round this year period and my other three were at reciprocals.

Oh my!!!

I moved back 1/2 set of tees - hit longest driver ever on 4 (into the wind), 7 and 18. Had an Eagle chip on 7, lipped out. Shot 79 with a stinking lousy 7 on 9. 😞

But to have 6 iron into 18 (420 par 4 that’s a clone of 18 at Sawgrass) and a decision of whether to go for it or lay up on 2 of the par 5’s (went for 1, layed up on 17 - too much risk). Birdied back to back holes.

I’ve seen the potential of these yardage gains - now that DST is here I can play more and take advantage - I want to get back below a 2.0 - Now I have the potential.

Rev,

That is awesome. It is no wonder that Hank Haney always says that your length is the number one determinant of your potential. This should be a fun year for you. Handicap of two sounds well within reach.

I am playing in Florida next week. I am looking forward to the looks on my buddies faces when I blow it by them off the tee.

• Like 2

Question for you guys:

Golf trip to Florida on Sunday for six days. I don’t want to miss any workouts. Should I take all three Superspeed sticks.....or just take one to conserve weight in my golf bag and modify the workout with only one stick?  I am torn, but I definitely don’t want to regress. 

What say the players gallery?

If it were me, I'd take all 3.

• Like 2