Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

This is far from being a scientific, controlled experiment, but an interesting observation about SuperSpeed's long-term effects. I started my own DIY SuperSpeed workout in November 2018. I was faithful at it for about 2.5 months, when some pain in my left hand forced me to pause—and I never really got going again before the season.

This past week, I started my off-season workout for this winter. I'm using the Fit For Golf SuperSpeed plan, so for the first time in quite a while I brought out my sticks, my radar, and my spreadsheet.

The following numbers are my averages (not my single fastest swing):

• Very first week, November 2018:
    • Green: 105
    • Blue: 100
    • Red: 96
  • Fastest week:
    • Green: 120
    • Blue: 116
    • Red: 112
  • First session of 2019:
    • Green: 114
    • Blue: 106
    • Red: 106

Again, this isn't scientific at all, but there is some case to be made here that the gains I saw last winter have had a measure of persistence, even when I stopped the training for the past 10 months.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

This is far from being a scientific, controlled experiment, but an interesting observation about SuperSpeed's long-term effects. I started my own DIY SuperSpeed workout in November 2018. I was faithful at it for about 2.5 months, when some pain in my left hand forced me to pause—and I never really got going again before the season.
This past week, I started my off-season workout for this winter. I'm using the Fit For Golf SuperSpeed plan, so for the first time in quite a while I brought out my sticks, my radar, and my spreadsheet.
The following numbers are my averages (not my single fastest swing):
  • Very first week, November 2018:
    • Green: 105
    • Blue: 100
    • Red: 96
  • Fastest week:
    • Green: 120
    • Blue: 116
    • Red: 112
  • First session of 2019:
    • Green: 114
    • Blue: 106
    • Red: 106
Again, this isn't scientific at all, but there is some case to be made here that the gains I saw last winter have had a measure of persistence, even when I stopped the training for the past 10 months.

Actually i would say those are consistent with what I’ve found. I trained for longer than you stopping around Easter (at the time I intended todo maintenance for the summer but haven’t)

I am certainly faster than I was before I started but I am not as fast as I was last spring. I’m strongly considering a course of level 1 workouts to see where that leaves me. If I experience a bounce back I may pop in to where I was at when I left off.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As promised I resumed protocols today going back to level one.

For starters though I’d like to request prayers from anyone who does such things for one of our original test group members, Calypso55. He is fighting a battle with cancer and experiencing some side complications as well!

Thanks

To today’s session - I was not able to find my radar - I will but stuff moves in my house seemingly weekly. :(

Anyway I was more concerned with my actual driver swing speed when hitting shots and I was able to measure that on my swing caddy device.

After the dynamic warm up I hit 3 drives - average SS was 90 - that’s a bit slow - I’m generally averaging 92 - right around where I was at after the level one protocol a year ago - I lost the speed that I gained in my second jump - which was significant by the way - but have retained a reasonable gain.

I’m sure my speed was down a bit because I didn’t hit any other shots first and I tend to be a bit slower in the AM.

I then did the protocols for level one on the range in front of 3 young aspiring tour players and their teacher. :(. They suitably busted my chops (two of them work at the club and I know them well) but they were impressed by the left handed aspect of my work out.

I then hit three more drives with an average SS of 94 mph. It should be noted too that this was with range balls and not my gamers - that’s what I always used when I was a part of the test group.

There was about a 10 yard difference in average distance on the three shoots 221 to just over 231.

I’m going to stick with the level one protocols for the next 6 weeks, trying to do one a week at the range, hitting balls afterwards.

I’m curious to see where this brings me to - from there I will reach out to SuperSpeed to see what they recommend. I’d like to grab the next level of yardage back again - it got me a couple of sub par rounds early in the season - the difference between 230 and 240 is very significant -

No par 5’s in two to an occasional 1, an iron into a 400 yard hole verses a wood. Those things add up.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Prayers sent his way, dear friend.  Thank you for letting us know.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Prayers sent his way, dear friend.  Thank you for letting us know.

Thank you - he’s a great guy and an outstanding pastor.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Was hitting an old 2016 M2 3 wood at the simulator at work. Was very happy to see these swing and ball speeds!

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

8 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Was hitting an old 2016 M2 3 wood at the simulator at work. Was very happy to see these swing and ball speeds!

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg

I missed the part about this being a 3W and was trying to figure out how that ball speeds were so low for a driver at that swing speed! Nice numbers! Jealous of your simulator at work. I'd be coming in early every single day.

I stopped my SuperSpeed training right at the beginning of the third protocol. I was so focused on playing golf this summer that I failed to make time for it on weeknights between other family obligations. I did pick up the green stick last week for a few swings and hit 135 out of the gate, so that's promising. And yesterday at the heated range my Swing Caddie picked up a 93 MPH 7 Iron once I was warmed up, with plenty more in the 88-91 range. It's been said before, but the program definitely works and the gains do stick pretty well.

I'm working on the Fit for Golf Offseason routine, but once I'm done with that (around the start of February), I think I'm going to move onto the program @GolfSpy MPR is doing with the integrated SS training. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I missed the part about this being a 3W and was trying to figure out how that ball speeds were so low for a driver at that swing speed! Nice numbers! Jealous of your simulator at work. I'd be coming in early every single day.
I stopped my SuperSpeed training right at the beginning of the third protocol. I was so focused on playing golf this summer that I failed to make time for it on weeknights between other family obligations. I did pick up the green stick last week for a few swings and hit 135 out of the gate, so that's promising. And yesterday at the heated range my Swing Caddie picked up a 93 MPH 7 Iron once I was warmed up, with plenty more in the 88-91 range. It's been said before, but the program definitely works and the gains do stick pretty well.
I'm working on the Fit for Golf Offseason routine, but once I'm done with that (around the start of February), I think I'm going to move onto the program [mention=58668]GolfSpy MPR[/mention] is doing with the integrated SS training. 

I’ve still yet to break into the 130 club with green stick. I’m trying so hard. Haha

Got up to 126 a few times, but I feel like I’ll be there soon. Some of my blue and red numbers have hit personal bests lately.

I’m still on level 2, as like you I haven’t been doing the workouts regularly during the season... hoping to ramp that back up now.

The sim at work is great. I do try to get down 3 times a week for some swings. It’s nice to see the numbers right then and there when I try to feel something different and see the results. It has really proven that the smoother I feel at the top the faster my head speed really is.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Very impressive guys!

I’m glad I’m stepping back in - yesterday was a great example of how solidly I hit the ball while doing SuperSpeed - I should never have stopped if only to do a maintenance plan.

I really striped my irons yesterday, everyone straight at the stick.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Hey guys, long time, no see!  I don't believe I've been here since somewhere in July. 

Like some of the folks here, my SS training fell my the wayside once I started playing this spring.  Looking at my notebook, I finished week 22 on 5/17.  I tried to keep up a once-a-week maintenance protocol, but stopped around early July.

This was my first year with an Arccos, so I have data on my driving distance for this past year, and would estimate I picked up around 15 yards off the tee this year.  Last year, I would guess I was generally in the 175-180 range, this year I was around 190-195 with the occasional 205-210 when I hit the ball more efficiently, so I was pretty psyched by this improvement.  I did spend time slowing down my backswing to improve tempo and be more stable (I tend to sway back a little with a fast backswing), so my speed & distance dropped a bit for a few weeks, but came back as I got used to the change in the swing.

I went back to the first protocol on 10/30 - my plan is to do 4 weeks on this protocol, then 6 weeks on the second protocol, then the full boat with the third.  As some of you mentioned, I had lost some speed gains, but they've come back fast - I'm back to where I was in week 11 last year, and will be interested to see if I can gain a little more by spring.  I didn't get to that next bump between weeks 11 and 22, things stayed very flat from weeks 11 to 22.  Today's results:  Green 113, Blue 112, Red 104.  Last week I hit 119 on a green swing, beating my previous best of 118.

From fooling around with a Zepp, I know my speed drops a bit when I'm hitting a ball vs practice swinging, so I was probably swinging in the mid-to-upper 80s when I played this past summer - next year's focus will be on bringing the "live" swings up to the practice swing speeds.  I found a stats sheet from when I tried out some drivers in June 2017, and my speeds were in the 75 - 78 range, so I've made good progress.  

Overall (this is was my fourth year playing golf, I get out about once a week), I really think doing the protocols have just made me feel more comfortable swinging the clubs as I learn this game.  My scores didn't really improve much, maybe a couple of strokes, since I still hit that one bad iron shot that take me from a potential par to a 6 on most holes, but I think I learned a lot.  As they say at McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress this winter.

Edited by Mike Lambert

Hey guys, long time, no see!  I don't believe I've been here since somewhere in July. 
Like some of the folks here, my SS training fell my the wayside once I started playing this spring.  Looking at my notebook, I finished week 22 on 5/17.  I tried to keep up a once-a-week maintenance protocol, but stopped around early July.
This was my first year with an Arccos, so I have data on my driving distance for this past year, and would estimate I picked up around 15 yards off the tee this year.  Last year, I would guess I was generally in the 175-180 range, this year I was around 190-195 with the occasional 205-210 when I hit the ball more efficiently, so I was pretty psyched by this improvement.  I did spend time slowing down my backswing to improve tempo and be more stable (I tend to sway back a little with a fast backswing), so my speed & distance dropped a bit for a few weeks, but came back as I got used to the change in the swing.
I went back to the first protocol on 10/30 - my plan is to do 4 weeks on this protocol, then 6 weeks on the second protocol, then the full boat with the third.  As some of you mentioned, I had lost some speed gains, but they've come back fast - I'm back to where I was in week 11 last year, and will be interested to see if I can gain a little more by spring.  I didn't get to that next bump between weeks 11 and 22, things stayed very flat from weeks 11 to 22.  Today's results:  Green 113, Blue 112, Red 104.  Last week I hit 119 on a green swing, beating my previous best of 118.
From fooling around with a Zepp, I know my speed drops a bit when I'm hitting a ball vs practice swinging, so I was probably swinging in the mid-to-upper 80s when I played this past summer - next year's focus will be on bringing the "live" swings up to the practice swing speeds.  I found a stats sheet from when I tried out some drivers in June 2017, and my speeds were in the 75 - 78 range, so I've made good progress.  
Overall (this is was my fourth year playing golf, I get out about once a week), I really think doing the protocols have just made me feel more comfortable swinging the clubs as I learn this game.  My scores didn't really improve much, maybe a couple of strokes, since I still hit that one bad iron shot that take me from a potential par to a 6 on most holes, but I think I learned a lot.  As they say at McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!
Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress this winter.

Mike sounds like even though you stopped in July it still had a positive impact (no pun intended). Interestingly I also slowed down my drives to focus more on accuracy. Now I'm focused on getting that SS up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 3 weeks later...

How about an update from all the testers on how their increased swing speeds have translated into performance on the course?  Are we seeing distance gains with no loss in accuracy?  More so off the tee, irons, or both?  Is it difficult to "maintain the gain"?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

How about an update from all the testers on how their increased swing speeds have translated into performance on the course?  Are we seeing distance gains with no loss in accuracy?  More so off the tee, irons, or both?  Is it difficult to "maintain the gain"?

Great thought!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I posted a lengthy update a month or so ago.

Readers Digest Version:

For me I certainly have seen on course improvement and increased distance. I stopped doing protocols in the summer (just too hot and too busy). Since then I’ve seen a decrease i distance but I’m still faster and longer than I do as when I started maintaining where I was at the end of the level 1 protocols so 5 mph faster and 10-15 yards longer with driver, half a club with approach shots.

I’m way more consistent with my ball striking. I look like a former good golfer when you play with me now. I played with a guy whom I hadn’t played with in 5 years on Monday. After 10 or 11 holes he said, “I thought you hadn’t been playing much.” (That was true, it was my first 18 in November). “You look like the same old Rev to me. Fairways and greens.”

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Like Rev, I stopped with the protocols around the start of the golf season. I did the maintenance program for a while, but with the summer and fall long task of moving my mother-in-law, I put training to the side.

I went to the range this past weekend with the speed radar to see where I'm still at and have lost some of the gains, 4 mph to be exact. I'm still swinging it faster than I was at the beginning and have seen good results on the course. My accuracy took a hit for a while, but started coming around the longer I worked to get my sing in order. When I hit it well, the results are still in the 240/250 range. My biggest problem has been between the training and working on my iron play I have developed a negative AOA. I'm teeing the ball lower to accommodate the change, but I feel this has caused more spin to creep in and a loss of potential distance.

On the positive side, I have been playing better and more consistent golf this year. My ball striking has improved and I've seen quite a few scores in the 80's. I plan on getting back in the program soon, I have been recently set back by a really fun case of allergies.

Funny story, on my last trip to the range I had my heaviest speed stick in the bag and my radar and was hitting balls when the gentleman driving the ball picker came up to talk to me. He asked what they were and we had a nice conversation about MyGolfSpy and SuperSpeed and he asked if the radar would work for left hand swings. I assured him they would and proceeded to show him. I was still able to hit 102 mph from both sides.

I'm definitely a believer that if you want to gain speed, SuperSpeed is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 12/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Here's my update:

For me, all the SS practice lead to longer drives (15 - 20 yrds) when I hit the ball well, less of a change with irons.  At first, I was a little wilder, but I think that was more to do with the faster swing speed causing a swing fault (a bit of a sway) to become a little worse.  I spent some time slowing down my backswing and lost that extra distance temporarily, but once I got used to that, the extra distance returned and I was less wild (most of the time).  

For me, as a newer golfer, the bigger benefit was all those extra swings I never would have taken really helped me improve my feeling for what a swing should feel like, if that makes sense.  Overall, my scoring didn't improve much - I still have a lot of "work" to do especially with those approach shots, but I felt more comfortable and confident hitting the ball.

The other good thing is the speed came back almost immediately.  I finished my last full week 5/17 (week 22 overall, week 8 of protocol 3), did a few one-off maintenance sessions until mid-July, and restarted at the beginning on 10/30, and by the second week, I was back where I left off in May.  

Here's my update:
For me, all the SS practice lead to longer drives (15 - 20 yrds) when I hit the ball well, less of a change with irons.  At first, I was a little wilder, but I think that was more to do with the faster swing speed causing a swing fault (a bit of a sway) to become a little worse.  I spent some time slowing down my backswing and lost that extra distance temporarily, but once I got used to that, the extra distance returned and I was less wild (most of the time).  
For me, as a newer golfer, the bigger benefit was all those extra swings I never would have taken really helped me improve my feeling for what a swing should feel like, if that makes sense.  Overall, my scoring didn't improve much - I still have a lot of "work" to do especially with those approach shots, but I felt more comfortable and confident hitting the ball.
The other good thing is the speed came back almost immediately.  I finished my last full week 5/17 (week 22 overall, week 8 of protocol 3), did a few one-off maintenance sessions until mid-July, and restarted at the beginning on 10/30, and by the second week, I was back where I left off in May.  

When you restarted was it with level one or did you go back to where you left off?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I went back to the range today and thought since I was a bit under the weather last weekend I would take another speed reading. I took five swings and registered 94, 94, 93, 89, and 94. That's an average of 92.8 mph and still up from the original speed I had of 89. Plus, you have to factor in that I'm also gaming a different driver, my original driver was 279 grams and my current driver is heavier. I can't find the total weight on Google. All it wants to show is the adjustable weight is 12 grams. I'm going to say I know the grip is 56 and the shaft is 59 for a total of 115. I'll assume the head is around 200 grams for a total of 315.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hi there,

I hope nobody is angry, but for a 85 sites cross check my English is much to bad... 😅

Bought the sticks yesterday and have one question:

SSG says: No full training before the round! 

If i go after a full training for a round, is my trainings improvement slower or will i loose the improvement from a sports science view ?

If yes: how much break between training and a round is needed?

I`m playing min. 5 times a week.... 3 times a week training... that`s a problem... 😉 

Thx a lot guys...

6 minutes ago, Monaco said:

Hi there,

I hope nobody is angry, but for a 85 sites cross check my English is much to bad... 😅

Bought the sticks yesterday and have one question:

SSG says: No full training before the round! 

If i go after a full training for a round, is my trainings improvement slower or will i loose the improvement from a sports science view ?

If yes: how much break between training and a round is needed?

I`m playing min. 5 times a week.... 3 times a week training... that`s a problem... 😉 

Thx a lot guys...

Glad to have you in the forum.

I'll definitely defer to others with more expertise than I have, but I think the warning against doing the SS drills before a round is that they may well harm your swing during the round itself. I don't believe that there is any concern that training and playing on the same day would harm the training progress.

I would guess that, if possible, training after you play would be preferable.

Full WITB with pictures

Glad to have you in the forum.
I'll definitely defer to others with more expertise than I have, but I think the warning against doing the SS drills before a round is that they may well harm your swing during the round itself. I don't believe that there is any concern that training and playing on the same day would harm the training progress.
I would guess that, if possible, training after you play would be preferable.

Sorry to contradict but SS was clear that if we insisted on playing or practicing on a training day that we do the training first.

The idea behind the training is to be as fast as possible - the training is far more about rewiring the brain to go faster than it is about physical fitness and strength acquisition.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Sorry to contradict but SS was clear that if we insisted on playing or practicing on a training day that we do the training first.

The idea behind the training is to be as fast as possible - the training is far more about rewiring the brain to go faster than it is about physical fitness and strength acquisition.

Good call and helpful correction.

Could we say this: it depends what you're less willing to mess up? If the round is a vitally important one, you probably don't want to do your SS sets just before it. In any other case, if you're going to do both on a say, do the SS first, so you're not going into to your workout exhausted and not getting the benefit from it.

But it's best not to have them overlap, if possible.

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Good call and helpful correction.

Could we say this: it depends what you're less willing to mess up? If the round is a vitally important one, you probably don't want to do your SS sets just before it. In any other case, if you're going to do both on a say, do the SS first, so you're not going into to your workout exhausted and not getting the benefit from it.

But it's best not to have them overlap, if possible.

I would agree - It might even be better to forgo the SS workout and do two that week rather than to do a slow one because you're tired out from a round.  I'd be curious to learn what they might say about that.  I know that three per week is ideal but that we were told, once we were well into the testing, that an occasional two workout week would not retard the process. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 12/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, fixyurdivot said:

As one of the "unofficial" testers, I'll chime in as well. I was able to get on Trackman yesterday and later in the day picked up the green stick to see what I could hit in a few swings.

I started doing the SuperSpeed program with my DIY sticks in February, and worked my way into the third protocol before stopping.

Caveat to these numbers is that I've been doing the Fit for Golf offseason program for the past six weeks and hoped to see swing speeds from that, also.

Green stick is holding steady in the low-mid 130s (three "cold" swings were 132, 135, 132), which is actually slightly higher than when I stopped doing the third protocol in late August.

Actual Trackman results -

Average driver speed has not changed much since my May fitting. It was up 1 MPH on average. I want to attribute this to both being inside and also having not swung a driver for two months prior to yesterday. Outdoors in late summer I saw a maximum of 108 MPH on my Swing Caddie, with more swings generally in the 101-103 MPH range.

7-iron speed is up considerably from during the season. At the end of the season I was fit for irons and recorded an average of 84 MPH. Yesterday my average was 87+. On my Swing Caddie I've seen that number work higher toward the low-mid 90s.

I have also had a lesson, and my coach changed my grip. I believe that has contributed to allowing me to swing harder and get better ball flight as well.

So, yes, SuperSpeed gains appear to stick pretty well even if you don't religiously follow the program or maintenance program. I did not hit a lot of fairways this year and my grip was probably to blame, not SuperSpeed.

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

As one of the "unofficial" testers, I'll chime in as well. I was able to get on Trackman yesterday and later in the day picked up the green stick to see what I could hit in a few swings.
I started doing the SuperSpeed program with my DIY sticks in February, and worked my way into the third protocol before stopping.
Caveat to these numbers is that I've been doing the Fit for Golf offseason program for the past six weeks and hoped to see swing speeds from that, also.
Green stick is holding steady in the low-mid 130s (three "cold" swings were 132, 135, 132), which is actually slightly higher than when I stopped doing the third protocol in late August.
Actual Trackman results -
Average driver speed has not changed much since my May fitting. It was up 1 MPH on average. I want to attribute this to both being inside and also having not swung a driver for two months prior to yesterday. Outdoors in late summer I saw a maximum of 108 MPH on my Swing Caddie, with more swings generally in the 101-103 MPH range.
7-iron speed is up considerably from during the season. At the end of the season I was fit for irons and recorded an average of 84 MPH. Yesterday my average was 87+. On my Swing Caddie I've seen that number work higher toward the low-mid 90s.
I have also had a lesson, and my coach changed my grip. I believe that has contributed to allowing me to swing harder and get better ball flight as well.
So, yes, SuperSpeed gains appear to stick pretty well even if you don't religiously follow the program or maintenance program. I did not hit a lot of fairways this year and my grip was probably to blame, not SuperSpeed.

I’m still not in the 130 club but a full swing sim had me at 113+ with an m2 3 wood.

Maybe it’s cuz I’m short.

How’s the fit for golf program? Is that the one with Finau?

10 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I’m still not in the 130 club emoji24.png but a full swing sim had me at 113+ with an m2 3 wood.

Maybe it’s cuz I’m short. emoji23.png

How’s the fit for golf program? Is that the one with Finau?

Rehashing something I've mentioned before in this thread, I'm pretty certain for me the lack of speed with longer clubs is sequencing/technique. It's definitely something I will be working with my instructor on. I had started the ASD protocol for sequencing but never followed through with it. As I get above the 7 iron, my path gets progressively more left and my speed increase between clubs flattens. 

From Sunday's session (average swing speeds and carry):

GW (48 degrees) - 82 MPH / 120 yds
PW (44 degrees) - 82 MPH / 133 yds (speed makes sense as I play PW and GW at same length)
9 Iron - 83 MPH / 143 yds
8 Iron - 85 MPH / 154 yds
7 Iron - 87 MPH / 167 yds
6 Iron - 88 MPH / 172 yds
5 Iron - 89 MPH / 181 yds
4 Iron - 90 MPH / 185 yds
3W - 95 MPH / 214 yds
Driver - 100 MPH / 241 yds

I basically swing 4-7 irons within the same 2-3 MPH. If you based my speeds from 7-GW off of the posted Trackman PGA averages, my driver should be closer to 110. Oh well, something to work on. As it stands currently my gapping is a little tight at the top of the bag, something my fitter pointed out.

As for Fit for Golf, that's been detailed over here. Couple of MGS members are working through that protocol. I know Mike works with some pros, don't think Finau is one of his clients though.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

On 12/7/2019 at 12:37 PM, revkev said:

When you restarted was it with level one or did you go back to where you left off?

Hey revkev!  I went back to the very beginning, but only did 4 weeks of Protocol 1 instead of 6 weeks.  I'm planning to trim 2 weeks off Protocol 2 as well, and maybe even Protocol 3, depending on how that goes.  I figure I completed all of those between December and May, so a shortened version should be OK.  So far, my speeds are almost exactly where they were at the end of Protocol 3 - I'm kind of an Excel nerd, so I'm tracking the trailing average of the driver speed approximation formula someone posted a few months ago.  First time through, I saw my first jump in week 10 (8.7%), then I started a new trailing average starting with that increase. 

It would be nice to get another bump around the same time, which would be the week I start my re-do of Protocol 3.

I was reading up on the overspeed training studies. Most of them are in the baseball world. There was one interesting question brought up is there a minimum amount needed. This study had looked what would happen if only swinging one of the SuperSpeed clubs as opposed to all 3. Interesting that the group doing the protocol only with the 10% lighter club still produced similar speed increases to the 3 club protocols. Swinging just the heavy or lightest clubs did not improve speed. Just seeing what you think

https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, Rchang said:

I was reading up on the overspeed training studies. Most of them are in the baseball world. There was one interesting question brought up is there a minimum amount needed. This study had looked what would happen if only swinging one of the SuperSpeed clubs as opposed to all 3. Interesting that the group doing the protocol only with the 10% lighter club still produced similar speed increases to the 3 club protocols. Swinging just the heavy or lightest clubs did not improve speed. Just seeing what you think

https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly

I found this fascinating -

Thank you for posting it!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I found this fascinating -

Thank you for posting it!

I agree;  interesting information.   The results are interesting,  but my only criticism is the low number of participants in the study;  are the results actually significant.  I would assume that the superspeed team did their own studies and I would assume that the protocols were determined based on studying a larger number of participants. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG